Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BubbaPin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrmikeman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago

The thing you need to remember is not everyone wants perfect working machines. A lot of folks don't even know things aren't working as they should. And when things REALLY break down then they seek help. Usually with the caveat "do whatever costs less to get it working". As long as it starts games and makes noises they are happy. There are more ppl like that around than ppl like you who want their machines to be perfect. In any case the anal collectors usually do the work themselves anyway.

BTW it pays very little unless you are a big name restorer like HEP and I'm pretty sure even HE isn't rich from this...

I fixed machines for a while (including board repair) and it killed the hobby for me. Sucked the life right out of me really. Most of the work I did was for a local guy with 50-60 machines in a warehouse. Turds he'd buy on eBay for re-sale locally (usually at a loss or very little profit). The direction was always "Just MacGyver it so it works so I can sell it". Uggh. Took me to the point where I sold off all my games and hundreds in parts for next to nothing. Wanted nothing to do with the hobby anymore and got rid of EVERYTHING. Came back into it 10 years later (2019) but now I buy NIB or much newer games. Minimal work. Minimal parts on hand. I'd rather play than fix now. But at least when something isn't right I know how to fix it right away.

The main thing is get proper tools like a GOOD DMM, GOOD soldering/de-soldering irons. Read all there is to read on repairs - there are a bunch of wiki pages out there. Changing coils and switches is too basic. You need to learn to read and understand schematics, do connector replacement (proper crimping tools and techniques) and board repair if you really want to be able to fix things for people.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrmikeman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/contemplating-career-change?tu=mrmikeman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.