Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by onetaste
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I'm selling off my nice ww this weekend and will have some money for my next pin. My current lineup is: WCS94, Pinbot, Congo, & JM.

I'd like to add another pin to the lineup and was thinking BSD. I've seen the videos and heard some awesome reviews. I just think I'd like to hear more negatives about the game I guess.

Also, any other great DMD titles I should be looking at? Was thinking DH as well. Most WPC pins I like. Range $2000-$3000.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

BSD is a great but very challenging game. It will frustrate you and it will humble you, but it will improve your skills and when you get it humming there are few games like it. It's unlike any of the games you have in your collection now and would make a good addition.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from EZG:

BSD is a great but very challenging game. It will frustrate you and it will humble you, but it will improve your skills and when you get it humming there are few games like it. It's unlike any of the games you have in your collection now and would make a good addition.

What he said

#4 8 years ago

It's a great game...love the flow. Hitting the ramps over and over is so much fun. Bowen's tutorial on it is fantastic

#5 8 years ago

The only negative is that the machine is kind of a "one trick pony" with the multi/multi/multi ball stacking trick. But that one trick is pure gold IMO. I wouldn't want this as my only machine, because once you get good at it, you're one goal when you walk up to it, is gonna be stacking the 3 multiballs. Once you have the machine for a while, every high score you'll have will be a result of stacking those 3 multiballs. When you achieve the stack and Dracula is yelling "30 MILLION!!!" it is one of the best feelings I've ever had in pinball, but when you play a game and fail to do it, then that particular round of the game kind of feels like a failure. Not that that's a really bad thing, it's just the way the machine plays.

You've got a pretty decent sized line-up with a total of 5 games, so I don't think you'd tire of this game any time soon. You'll probably find it addictive in that "just one more game" style, for a long time. Out of all my games, I play this one when I need a quick, fast and furious pinball fix and I don't have time for a long game. Speaking of the quick games, The game can be brutal at times. It's not a good beginner's game and it's kind of dark (heck, it IS dark). My visitors don't play it much if at all, but I love it.

Another negative is that most of the playfields are prone to planking and some insert wear, so check that out. Fade on the cabinet is also common in the reds. If you can get a colorful one, that's a big plus.

#6 8 years ago

One diminutional one trick pony. If you don't mind that go for it. I owned it and got rid of it. Too repetitive. Good bang for the buck these days if you can score a nice one under 2,000

#7 8 years ago

Keep them coming guys.

When one talks of stacking the multiballs, what's this mean ?

#8 8 years ago

That means you can progress to starting another multiball while you are currently in one. Points seem to go crazy when more points are awarded for shots.

#9 8 years ago

3 modes of multiball..you are able to have them all going at once. Total craziness.

#10 8 years ago

The true goal of the game is to get mist, coffin & castle multiball going simultaneously (stacked) & each shot will then award you $30mil...I guess you can consider that a 1 trick pony...but this pony sure has a hard time making that happen...it's a very challenging game & has great lastability...there is also the rats & bats modes which allow you to carry over a bonus at the end of each ball.

I would highly recommend you add it to the collection!

#11 8 years ago

Check out this tutorial, I think it'll answer all your questions:

https://papa.org/2012/12/03/bram-stokers-dracula-tutorial/

#12 8 years ago

One of the very best. Miss mine that is a downside.

#13 8 years ago

Stop by in erie and play some games on mine. It is looking good with some new leds.

#14 8 years ago

These games really didn't do very good on route, People that would play them would get frustrated with draining (the flippers are shorter) makes it a harder game to play. These people wouldn't waste their quarters learning the game and move on to easier ones. So, in the mid 90's these were a steal. Some nights, it is a drain game.. and there really isn't much you can do about it, other then curse right back at the machine. I curse at this machine more then any other. I tend to open the fridge (right next to it) and start grabbing beers when one of these "drain nights" comes in play. Doesn't really help..but I feel better about it. It will cause you grief at times..yet, will make a better player out of you.

#15 8 years ago

I like it, would get it for the right price if it came by me. Different feeling than a lot of games.

#16 8 years ago

Good game, one of the few stock lightning flipper games. Not real deep but cool none the less!

#17 8 years ago

I think everything has been said. I closed my outlanes all the way when I was shopping it.

#18 8 years ago

Good Luck ,, BSD & DH are 2 Great Pin's .. You Should Score you a HS2 !!

Both are by: Barry Oursler

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from djriel:

Good game, Not real deep but cool none the less!

There's a Few Here 4-Sale , and they Don't last long ( unless it's Dog'd out ) I've Never beat BSD

Not Sure there is an End !!

#20 8 years ago

It would be a great addition. Like most have said, it's brutal. But IMO that's what makes it great, because when you do have a great ball or game it's a total rush. Keeping a multiball going for any length of time is a challenge, and why stacking them is rewarding, both for personal satisfaction and attaining a monster score.

The theme, creepiness and callouts are an A+ in my opinion.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I've Never beat BSD

You never got to wash Dracula's car??

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Not Sure there is an End

There's not really an 'end' as in a final wizard mode, though you can stake Dracula and defeat him at the end of Coffin multiball. There's just a lot of strategy to this game and a lot of satisfying shots. The audio is highly entertaining as well. If you don't mind the dark theme, this game may still be the best bang for your buck out there. The feel of it is unlike any other B/W game, so there's always a reason for me to go back to it. The difficulty keeps ball times limited, which makes it great for multiplayer or when you just want to kill a few minutes. I have difficultly not hitting that start button again and again, though...

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Hell no ,, I'm Not Sure if i want 2 .. If i beat a Pin , I usually Sell it not Long after ..

Wash D's car ,, I get it !! That was cool .

Also the video modes , I have mine set to Med- , I've been to 8 ( only ) The Wolves don't run , they just appear ..

It get's Tough ..,. I Love my BSD , It's Out Lived Every Pin I've owned , My Keeper is going on 5 yr's in the GRG

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

There's a Few Here 4-Sale , and they Don't last long ( unless it's Dog'd out ) I've Never beat BSD
» YouTube video

Black Rose, did you swap the lightning flippers with regular ones ?

On topic : Get one !!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Wash draculas car?

#27 8 years ago

I totally regret selling mine. There is no high I have ever felt in pinball like stacking those multiballs and watching and listening to the game go crazy. Its the one game where you will feel like you accomplished nothing for ten games and then rip off that one game that just makes the machine go off! I sold mine thinking it was too hard and looking back, thats what I loved about it. Its a game that you will just have to have one more game on every time you play it.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The only negative is that the machine is kind of a "one trick pony" with the multi/multi/multi ball stacking trick. But that one trick is pure gold IMO. I wouldn't want this as my only machine, because once you get good at it, you're one goal when you walk up to it, is gonna be stacking the 3 multiballs. Once you have the machine for a while, every high score you'll have will be a result of stacking those 3 multiballs. When you achieve the stack and Dracula is yelling "30 MILLION!!!" it is one of the best feelings I've ever had in pinball, but when you play a game and fail to do it, then that particular round of the game kind of feels like a failure. Not that that's a really bad thing, it's just the way the machine plays.
You've got a pretty decent sized line-up with a total of 5 games, so I don't think you'd tire of this game any time soon. You'll probably find it addictive in that "just one more game" style, for a long time. Out of all my games, I play this one when I need a quick, fast and furious pinball fix and I don't have time for a long game. Speaking of the quick games, The game can be brutal at times. It's not a good beginner's game and it's kind of dark (heck, it IS dark). My visitors don't play it much if at all, but I love it.
Another negative is that most of the playfields are prone to planking and some insert wear, so check that out. Fade on the cabinet is also common in the reds. If you can get a colorful one, that's a big plus.

I don't know, I wonder if I had the choice to play and practice on only one machine for competitive play, if this would be the one. You have to nudge it like know it inside and out, and really time everything perfectly. Miss the main ramp, SDTM. Some people up the coils, but that makes this machine too easy. It needs to have the proper coils, which are more than powerful enough to make the shot if you hit it right.

I would call it more of a very complicated one trick pony. Very eerie all in all, looks awesome LED'd. I find a lot of people do not sell this one, despite it’s lack in depth, and when they reduce to a few, this tends to be one of them. Hard game to not play again.

There was a lot of unnecessary mech to this machine though. Why is there a scoop, subway ramp, and popper for the single right orbit shot to start the vid mode?? Why not just a saucer that kicks the ball back out to the lane guides and then to the pop bumpers...? The coffin is also a PITA to take apart, given what it is (a cover with lights).

Glad to finally have one, a non-planking PF, no fade version as well.

#29 8 years ago

If you like cftbl you'll like bsd.

#30 8 years ago

I kept mine for over 14 years. It's is very, very challenging which was why I bought it. I love the Dracula theme, too.

When you hear the concubines scream, you'll know you made it!

My kids were young when I got it. When Dracula says, "I never drink....wine!", I had to think of something other than, "Because he drinks blood!".

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

These games really didn't do very good on route, People that would play them would get frustrated with draining (the flippers are shorter) makes it a harder game to play. These people wouldn't waste their quarters learning the game and move on to easier ones. So, in the mid 90's these were a steal. Some nights, it is a drain game.. and there really isn't much you can do about it, other then curse right back at the machine. I curse at this machine more then any other. I tend to open the fridge (right next to it) and start grabbing beers when one of these "drain nights" comes in play. Doesn't really help..but I feel better about it. It will cause you grief at times..yet, will make a better player out of you.

What he said... It is a rush to get the multi-multiball going in BSD. Driving stakes in Dracula, and killing the concubines during multi-ball, the sounds bites and screams are really quite shrill. Only downside might be for young kids, but the game has a family sound mode also. I lucked out and got a beautiful example of a game that had been in storage for years by an op that pulled some boards out of it to put in more profitable games. Very little fade and no planking fortunately. Ball control is key, flailing away will get you drains PDQ, SDTM and outlanes from the center standup targets (killers).. Game, ramps everything need to be dialed in and playing 100% for best experience..

#32 8 years ago

I do love screaming concubines.

#33 8 years ago

I want one eventually as well. Play it where my league plays. Lots of fun.

#34 8 years ago

I love this game so much! It is so frustrating and difficult, yet so rewarding when you do what you need to do! It's one of the few games that I will curse it to hell and back, then throw in some more money and say "I got it THIS TIME!" It seems so simple, but with how easily it can drain on you really need to be on your game to knock it out of the park. My high score is a little over 780mil but I've had plenty sub 20mil games. It's usually for every awesome game I have, I ruin at least 10 others (that may be a bit generous.....Really generous actually). This will be my next game for sure.

Adam

#35 8 years ago

Not having played one previously other than a couple of times, I've had mine about 10 weeks. My other game is a STTNG. Got BSD for difficulty, and it has delivered in spades. 1.8b GC so far on all factory settings. As others have said, it's terrible about frustrating you 9 games in a row, but that 10th will bring you back for the next 9... BSD will give you a case of "just one more game"-itis you'll find hard to shake.

Great responses in this thread, really well said. The experience of a run of 30 million jackpots on BSD must be something like riding the perfect wave in the world's best surfing spot or something--it's one of the greatest things in DMD-era pinball. The audio during this sequence is a big part of the reason why, even though audio on the whole is good for its time but admittedly pre-DCS.

The strategy/depth side and the actual number of shots is limited, though, and if I do get rid of it eventually that will likely be the reason. It could be that STTNG has really spoiled me in that sense. Maybe a TSPP...

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Black Rose, did you swap the lightning flippers with regular ones ?

I took the Black Lightning off and added White Reg- ,, I switch back from tyme 2 tyme ..

Great reading !! Wash Drac's car ,,, I Never knew this ..

#37 8 years ago

No game sets the mood better than BSD. The theme, sounds, animations, art, and rules all come together brilliantly. I think it has surpassed MM as my favorite B/W game.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Great reading !! Wash Drac's car ,,, I Never knew this ..

Good reason. You can blame Bowen, he made it up.

#39 8 years ago

Three words: Difficult. Addictive. Satisfying.

Simple rules compared to a lot of games, especially once you grasp them, but you have to hit your shots or chaos breaks out. It's very fast. I have the original lightning flippers on mine and I don't think I could live with it any other way. A lot of people swap them out and prefer it that way, so consider that as well.

Because game times can be short and the goals easy to understand, it's got that "one more game" appeal. I've seen people play for hours on my machine, going from joy to despair with regularity. I can see why this game probably didn't do well in the arcade. Playing for free, it's addictive. Paying 50 cents a game, I think I would get frustrated too quickly to give it a chance.

Multiballs are fun, the Mist Multiball is very cool especially. But once you start stacking the various modes, points get crazy and the machine goes nuts. Huge callouts, trying to juggle the four balls while shooting for the various jackpots and big points...you feel like a god when you have it all working.

As for negatives:

- I'd say the rules aren't as deep or complicated as many games of the era, and the game flow isn't as laid back as some like. If you don't like getting beat regularly and frustrate easily, this might not be the game for you.

- It's a creepy theme. Might not be the best with young kids around. I've heard some adults get spooked out by it too (leave the attract sound on sometime - it will surprise the hell out of you).

- It has a weird repair issue or two. The Mist Ball feature is awesome, but between the optos and a control board that can malfunction, it can be kind of a pain to deal with. I'd say this is fairly uncommon, but make sure the Mist Ball feature is working well before purchase.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Good reason. You can blame Bowen, he made it up.

That's Kevin Martin's rule sheet, not mine. He is "sigma", the builder of the original Pinball Archive (FTP!).

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

That's Kevin Martin's rule sheet, not mine. He is "sigma", the builder of the original Pinball Archive (FTP!).

I swear I heard you on some broadcast, somewhere say you made that up, and it has perpetuated in later rulesheets. Sorry if I'm wrong!

#42 8 years ago

Got one being delivered tomorrow. Won't be able to sleep before or after

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Got one being delivered tomorrow. Won't be able to sleep before or after

Gee, thanks for rubbing it in.

(have fun!)

#44 8 years ago

Here me now, but believe me later:
One of the best shots in the game is when you have everything primed for coffin multi ball w/ one ball to go and then get Mist. While the mist ball is floating by the coffin lock hit it w/a left flipper shot. It will start the coffin multi ball w/ the mist ball and cause a newton ball effect to start the stacking of mist and coffin MB.
REAL ADRENALINE RUSH

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Here me now, but believe me later:
One of the best shots in the game is when you have everything primed for coffin multi ball w/ one ball to go and then get Mist. While the mist ball is floating by the coffin lock hit it w/a left flipper shot. It will start the coffin multi ball w/ the mist ball and cause a newton ball effect to start the stacking of mist and coffin MB.
REAL ADRENALINE RUSH

Unless you end up just switching balls on the mist magnet, and you can't get a coffin ball back in control to try getting the mist ball a second time. Biggest bummer in pinball.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Gee, thanks for rubbing it in.
(have fun!)

Yours is coming. Believe it! You'll be a Carpathian in no time.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Unless you end up just switching balls on the mist magnet, and you can't get a coffin ball back in control to try getting the mist ball a second time. Biggest bummer in pinball.

So true.., but a little nudge will fix that in a clutch

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I approve this message.

#50 8 years ago

Yep, best multiball / jackpot call out game ever made...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 25.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 63.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!