(Topic ID: 160778)

"Contact us for best pricing" isn't always accurate.

By sevenrites

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Maken
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I'm sick of the ass kissing and pussy footing around people do here for certain vendors and mod manufacturers. It's clear to me some people are just taking advantage of the hobby, trying to capitalize on maximum profits, and will flat out lie to try and get a slice of the pie. I'm not going to mention any names specifically, but let's just say there is NO WAY IN HELL I will consider buying any NIB game from this egotistical snake who many consider to be a "kind" or "charitable" person.

And these freaking mod people - $100 for a lighted Ecto 1? $36 for a lit scoop? -mod:removed-

If more people said what they really thought instead of -mod:removed-, less people would get ripped off and the market would be able to sustain the hobby much better. The extortionist jerks are what's going to burst the bubble and ruin it for everyone.

#2 7 years ago

$100 for a one-off mod isn't too bad. The big plus? You don't have to buy it

We sell the ecto 1 car all lit up for $40 for example. Shop around, get best pricing.

Maybe blame stern for the "Contact us " pricing since it is against their policies to display it in email, forums etc.

#3 7 years ago

I totally agree on the "contact us for price BS".

However the majority of the money in mod sales is the time it takes someone to make the mod. Someone wealthy enough to own pinballs isn't going to be motivated to work for $5/hour to get $20 mods out with a build of materials for $10. If a mod takes an hour to assemble and package, I would expect it to go for at least $50 profit. Most people around here probably make $50-$100 an hour with several people making more. Why should they work for pennies for cheapos that want to pay less? At least on mods you can either build your own or pass.

#4 7 years ago

$40 for the Ecto 1 mod is way more reasonable than the fanboy favorite's $100 version.

I'm not laying blame on Stern either. If all distributers get the same pricing, why do some have games for upwards of 20-25% cheaper than others? Especially Jersey Jack games - it's ridiculous that I can save over $1000 buying a NIB JJP game from the west coast, with shipping included, instead of being able to drive an hour or so to get the same price.

#5 7 years ago

Extortion?! Alright, which of you vendors have pics of me from last year's Southern Fried Gameroom Expo? I thought I'd gotten all those pics destroyed, dammit.

#6 7 years ago

Yeah, I consider it extortion because of a few factors...

1. Best pricing promised by seller / vendor.
    2. Pricing questioned and examples of less expensive options are presented, but the seller refuses to budge.
    3. Offer is made again for seller to just get off their high horse and sell it reasonably like the others.
    4. The response is more or less "F' off, you're not going to find it cheaper" / "you're lying" / etc. along with other random insults.
    5. Seller gets so pissed off at the truth, they throw you under the bus to everyone else who has cheaper prices in an effort to get them to not sell to you.

This really happened, to multiple people, more than once.

#7 7 years ago

#4 sounds downright weird. But a specific example would help. I'm not saying you're wrong...

#8 7 years ago

Swampfire, I appreciate your concerns about #4 sounding weird, but to nitpick the delivery and articulation of the message is sort of sidestepping the real issue at hand.

If you need an example, I suppose I could take a certain vendor's T-shirt, wipe my ass with it and post the pic but aside from that I'm trying not to drop any names.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

#4 sounds downright weird. But a specific example would help. I'm not saying you're wrong...

I kinda got that response when I was quoted full retail for a new in box Mustang a month ago.

#10 7 years ago

Ahh, welcome aboard Woody24.

Aside from my first hand experiences, and feedback from those I've spoken with and know personally, it seems there's more coming out of the woodwork with similar experiences. That's what we need, more men with balls who aren't afraid to ruffle a few feathers in an effort to make things right or expose the B.S.

These long time vendors and distributers have such a stronghold and monopoly which has allowed them to get very wealthy for far too long with no recourse.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I kinda got that response when I was quoted full retail for a new in box Mustang a month ago.

Yeah, that's messed up. It's not like it's the last run of Tron.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

I'm sick of the ass kissing and pussy footing around people do here for certain vendors and mod manufacturers.

It's clear to me some people are just taking advantage of the hobby, trying to capitalize on maximum profits, and will flat out lie to try and get a slice of the pie.

there is NO WAY IN HELL I will consider buying any NIB game from this egotistical snake who many consider to be a "kind" or "charitable" person.

And these freaking mod people - $100 for a lighted Ecto 1? $36 for a lit scoop? Eat a bag of dicks and choke.

If more people said what they really thought instead of tucking their dicks up their ass, less people would get ripped off and the market would be able to sustain the hobby much better.

The extortionist jerks are what's going to burst the bubble and ruin it for everyone.

BAM I'm with you...just like changing car brakes.

Brake places & dealership prices fo sho'

Shit I actually don't know whom you're talking aboot

Well hes a good guy we don't need dick eating in real life but it's horrible yes

Naw no bubble will be burst....I told you earlier that's how this works. "Lighted swamp mode" on TAF...bulb connected to socket....LITERALLY 3 cents. But some people pay for an oil change at the dealership

#13 7 years ago

So if this is Automated, I kind of respect their business model. Buy and Hold, and hold and hold. That's just how they roll.

#14 7 years ago

Cheers, TheLaw. I'd buy you a round any time of day if we were in the same vicinity.

And no, I wasn't referring to Automated - I've actually not heard anything bad about them, nor seen anyone beat their prices lately.

#15 7 years ago

TheLaw and me are apparently both starting the weekend together. Sympatico brother.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Sympatico brother.

Contact me for best pricing.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

However the majority of the money in mod sales is the time it takes someone to make the mod.

If a mod takes an hour to assemble and package, I would expect it to go for at least $50 profit.

No that's actually the point of this thread

Well you work in mods so...

#18 7 years ago

Be glad you live in the USA and have a choice
    Here in Australia there is only one stern distributor, it is his price

#19 7 years ago

I think anyone who's considering a $35 adaptor to get 5v/12v on a spike game should be aware of this:

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyRD-65A

It's not sexy, but you'd have all the amps you'd ever need for mods. Plug it into the aux A/C output in the head, boom, done.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I think anyone who's considering a $35 adaptor to get 5v/12v on a spike game should be aware of this:
    http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyRD-65A

How ironic I find it that the manufacturer name on that product is "Mean Well". That's the spirit! So they're very reasonably priced and they don't have an egotistical name.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

How ironic I find it that the manufacturer name on that product is "Mean Well". That's the spirit!

#22 7 years ago

I am pretty sure I can guess who you are talking about with the hints you dropped

#23 7 years ago

I'm sure it's a mistranslation of the Chinese name, but I thought it was funny too. Stern uses the Mean Well 48V in Spike, so I think they are a good vendor.

#24 7 years ago

I find it comforting that I haven't been bombarded by moderators and fanboys and the vendors and modders themselves before others chimed in to express similar sentiments and support. Thanks for not letting me down!

This site isn't always the typical FaceBook style shitshow of lying, cheating, fake people with no direction it sometimes appears to be.

#25 7 years ago

For the record, I hope none of you or anyone else chokes on a bag of dicks. Sounds horrific.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

For the record, I hope none of you or anyone else chokes on a bag of dicks. Sounds horrific.

Finally lure out the somehow now reclusive Centerflank post ?!? Weird it's rare these days.

#27 7 years ago

Choking doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up dying a slow, painful death. But I would like to see more competition and less monopolistic control of the market by a select, privileged few who have clearly let it get to their heads.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Finally lure out the somehow now reclusive Centerflank post ?!? Weird it's rare these days.

Gym and work leaves me too tired to post anymore, plus I've been working on my TRON that needs rehabbing.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Choking doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up dying a slow, painful death. But I would like to see more competition and less monopolistic control of the market by a select, privileged few who have clearly let it get to their heads.

So more of just a gag thing, I'll need video to know if it's acceptable.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Gym and work leaves me too tired to post anymore, plus I've been working on my TRON that needs rehabbing.

No totally I, and I cannot be more clear here, I DO NOT want you to post at all.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No totally I, and I cannot be more clear here, I DO NOT want you to post at all.

So more TRON work you are saying? On it.
    image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#32 7 years ago

Late Edit:
    Imagine Pinside without Centerflank - that's like a $1600 JD...uff, no I WILL NOT SIR!!!!!!

#33 7 years ago

I just assume mods are all overpriced, so I'm pleasantly surprised if they aren't. But threats and blacklisting are not good business. Not cool.

#34 7 years ago

Well, when you think you're an elite, privileged star with the ego to refer to yourself as one, you can do whatever you want with few repercussions apparently. Just remember that eventually, when you shit on and piss on enough people, it will come back to bite you in the ass.

And as others have experienced, don't even bother trying to even get a minute of their time unless you have all the cash in hand, because there's another easier sucker out there waiting to be scammed.

For good measure, do a charity every now and then for sympathy, because even charity has a nice profit margin.

* drops mic. I think it's about time for bed. It's been fun.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I didn't know that was even a thing. If you google it you find bags and bags of penis shaped gummy candy.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I just assume mods are all overpriced, so ...

Speaking of mods my first child is due on 6.11.16....we shall see....gonna be crazy

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Speaking of mods my first child is due on 6.11.16....we shall see....gonna be crazy

Good luck Rook!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

my first child is due on 6.11.16

...potentially equals less pinballs in the future but likely creates one more pinball fanatic... Congratulations, and best wishes! One hell of a complex mod, especially for the minimal up front investment required!

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

I'm sick of the ass kissing and pussy footing around people do here for certain vendors and mod manufacturers. It's clear to me some people are just taking advantage of the hobby, trying to capitalize on maximum profits, and will flat out lie to try and get a slice of the pie. I'm not going to mention any names specifically, but let's just say there is NO WAY IN HELL I will consider buying any NIB game from this egotistical snake who many consider to be a "kind" or "charitable" person.
    And these freaking mod people - $100 for a lighted Ecto 1? $36 for a lit scoop? Eat a bag of dicks and choke.
    If more people said what they really thought instead of tucking their dicks up their ass, less people would get ripped off and the market would be able to sustain the hobby much better. The extortionist jerks are what's going to burst the bubble and ruin it for everyone.

I don't know who you are talking about specifically, though I may have a couple of guesses. I do know there are some sellers out there that you CAN NOT say a critical word about or you will get chased with torches and pitchforks by their groupies. So congrats on not upsetting the mob.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No that's actually the point of this thread
    Well you work in mods so...

The point of this thread? The title is about contact us for best pricing policy sucking

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

One hell of a complex mod, especially for the minimal up front investment required!

you are correct here, very little upfront cost, but huge ongoing costs. If Mods had this price structure…..

#42 7 years ago

There is not supposed to be any best pricing with Sterns new structure. They dictate 3 different price points you can sell a machine for. There are no huge profits selling NIB pins. And the price should be the same at every dealer. The competition for pricing should be between manufacturers. Not sure why dealers try to keep their prices hushed up. And prices are going up.

What sucks are people getting ripped off in the used market. Went on a service call to a guys house yesterday. We are 2 miles from his house and he never realized we were there. But he bought 3 used pins from a big dealer. He paid $10,000 for a mediocre Funhouse with cabinet damage, $7500 for an ok Twilight Zone, and $6500 for a Tales From the Crypt. $500 shipping each. On TFTC the large insert in the middle is cracked in half, separated, and they put Mylar over it. It amazes me that someone would rip off an someone like this.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Major-Havoc:

There is not supposed to be any best pricing with Sterns new structure. They dictate 3 different price points you can sell a machine for. There are no huge profits selling NIB pins. And the price should be the same at every dealer. The competition for pricing should be between manufacturers. Not sure why dealers try to keep their prices hushed up. And prices are going up.
    What sucks are people getting ripped off in the used market. Went on a service call to a guys house yesterday. We are 2 miles from his house and he never realized we were there. But he bought 3 used pins from a big dealer. He paid $10,000 for a mediocre Funhouse with cabinet damage, $7500 for an ok Twilight Zone, and $6500 for a Tales From the Crypt. $500 shipping each. On TFTC the large insert in the middle is cracked in half, separated, and they put Mylar over it. It amazes me that someone would rip off an someone like this.

This is a great point, more people are getting screwed on used than new. I have to say though, it's their own fault. If you are too lazy to do some leg work to find out what something is worth, you clearly don't need the money.

#44 7 years ago

I guess the dealer never stated who "contact us for best pricing" benefits. It's the best for him possibly so the statement is accurate.

#45 7 years ago

Caveat emptor!
    It's in Latin which means it's been true since the dawn of man.

#46 7 years ago

As far as different dealers offering different prices on new, some guys are probably comfortable making less on each machine and make it up in quantity. And if stern (or insert manufacturer here) says they can't sell less than this price point, or they can be "punished". They don't advertise it. I agree its completely frustrating, but in business sometimes you have to play by those rules. FYI I am in no way affiliated with any pinball mfr, or dist.

#47 7 years ago

Making more or less on a machine is certainly the choice of the distributer. But to lie, badger and insult people, while trying to get them blacklisted from other dealers with better prices and etc. is where and when I have to draw the line. Don't get me started on the whole process of how difficult it would be for any newcomer to try and get in on a slice of the distributer pie either...

Without question I could outsell more than a few distributers on here. Many of these people are terrible at customer service, marketing and networking and many of their websites are laughable at best. But I'd be potentially stepping on some overpriced, ignorant Joe Schmoe's toes and that is absolutely not allowed it seems.

Also, I'm blown away by how many people sent me a PM regarding this issue... The gouging is becoming an epidemic it seems.

#48 7 years ago

After talking to the dealer about the NIB Mustang, I was wondering if I was quoted a higher price because I was a nOOb for a NIB. No reputation. I get that in any industry, the people that deal together often will probably get better deals over time. But if those same people are referring other people to those dealers because of the great price, I'd expect a friends discount.

When I'm back in the market again for a NIB, I very well may come here to Pinside to hire someone to find me a great deal if it comes down to it. I'd pay someone $100 if they could track down a $500 cheaper machine.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

After talking to the dealer about the NIB Mustang, I was wondering if I was quoted a higher price because I was a nOOb for a NIB. No reputation. I get that in any industry, the people that deal together often will probably get better deals over time. But if those same people are referring other people to those dealers because of the great price, I'd expect a friends discount.
    When I'm back in the market again for a NIB, I very well may come here to Pinside to hire someone to find me a great deal if it comes down to it. I'd pay someone $100 if they could track down a $500 cheaper machine.

Sucks when the "friend " discount is $1000 more then the other distributor. How dare somebody call around to find the best prices! I personally have had some crappy experiences with So called good guys in this hobby. Snake in the grass wearing a sheeps suit is what they are. Claiming one day deals, using methods to make customer feel bad almost guilting them for shopping around, badgering the customer almost endlessly for shopping around, calling other distributors and linking together against customers searching for the best possible price and bad talking anybody that beats there prices...

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Ahh, welcome aboard Woody24.
    Aside from my first hand experiences, and feedback from those I've spoken with and know personally, it seems there's more coming out of the woodwork with similar experiences. That's what we need, more men with balls who aren't afraid to ruffle a few feathers in an effort to make things right or expose the B.S.
    These long time vendors and distributers have such a stronghold and monopoly which has allowed them to get very wealthy for far too long with no recourse.

You can't be serious? You think most pinball distributors are wealthy? I don't think you personally know many of them. Most of them are doing it on the side as something they like because they love the hobby. The few that only sell games have huge inventories and a ton of upfront money invested which is a huge risk.

In the end it's real simple. Find someone that you like to work with and build a good relationship with them. They might be a couple hundred higher on one game but are a couple hundred lower on another so it all balances out. If you a just calling everyone looking for nothing but the cheapest price don't be surprised when you get the F off treatment. Most of these guys work other jobs and sell games because they love the hobby and don't have time for that crap.

Mods on the otherhand are crazy priced for what you get. But they are small runs so development time is hard to recoop without a high price. The good thing about mods is that they are not needed or required. You don't like them or the price just don't buy them.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/contact-us-for-best-pricing-isnt-always-accurate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.