Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BubbaK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I've got a hot shot that had a few contacts that were loose on the switch blade, making intermittent connections. I was able to solder the contacts to the blades and it works properly. I had another blade the contact point fell out of. I had an extra point that I put on that blade and soldered that as well. Is this considered a reliable repair or should I change the blades at some point?

#2 2 years ago

Effectively a reliable repair. If the blade itself is mangled or wavy, might want to replace the whole blade, but otherwise, you should be good.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks.. The blades were in good shape and it looks like it took the solder well. On one switch, the Add hundreds switch on the score reel had a missing contact point. I replaced it with one of the small gold ones as this was all I had. It works, but I think this is supposed to be a big contact?

#4 2 years ago

Might want to consider ordering a quantity of replacement contacts from PBR, or other vendor, to keep in your parts bin. Usually, about 35-40 cents apiece, but a good part to have in inventory.

#5 2 years ago

Tap-tap-tap with a ball peen hammer -- good as new.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Might want to consider ordering a quantity of replacement contacts from PBR, or other vendor, to keep in your parts bin. Usually, about 35-40 cents apiece, but a good part to have in inventory.

I did have a few to make up the light duty switches. My next order I'll get some others.

Quoted from dr_nybble:

Tap-tap-tap with a ball peen hammer -- good as new.

I can do that when its on the bench, but I didn't want to disconnect a lot of stuff. I'm surprised there isn't a special pair of pliers to compress the rivet.

#7 2 years ago

I was able to peen a contact back on by holding the switch blade against a metal block and re-peening it in place. Was awkward though!

#8 2 years ago

Might help for a 2nd set of hands

#9 2 years ago

I just clean up then solder the loose contact to the leaf. The worst part (as you probably know) is finding those loose contacts.

#10 2 years ago

Another way to fix some of these, a heavy pair of needlenose pliers, I squeeze/crush the contact as hard as I can, usually works. High current contacts I tend to replace, always have spare pieces on hand.

#11 2 years ago

PBResource has new blades and contacts
http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common

#12 2 years ago

I use needle nose pliers as well and pad the contact face with a piece of plastic especially gold flashed ones so the plier jaw doesn't damage it.

#13 2 years ago

Thanks Howard. I did the repair to get the game running. I was wondering if my fix was a long term or short term fix. I have a few of the common switches in my next parts order to have on hand.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Life's Add-Ons
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/contact-switch-blade-repair-or-replace?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.