Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    ad-placement-fails (resized).jpg
    0A17687F-F578-46E7-9D89-581F62E6CAF3 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ponoplayercolours (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Nomad (resized).jpg
    Pioneer xdp300r (resized).jpg
    Hidiz ap200 (resized).jpg
    akrales_170523_1696_0036.0 (resized).jpg
    onkyo (resized).jpg
    DSCF4118 (resized).jpg
    8148605_thumb (resized).jpg
    Astell-Kern-AK70-MKII_1 (resized).jpg
    NW-ZX300_S_diagonal_PlaybackUI-Mid (resized).jpg
    7835389_thumb (resized).jpg

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

People still rent physical discs? I figured Redbox would go the way of Blockbuster in the next 5 years.

It is because Redbox pricing is much better for recent movies than cable provider On-Demand services, and Netflix does not have much movie selection for recent movies.

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

It is because Redbox pricing is much better for recent movies than cable provider On-Demand services, and Netflix does not have much movie selection for recent movies.

Redbox also has deals with major studios to provide rentals in advance of others... including streaming rentals... in a lot of cases.

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Gasoline was around 40 cents a gallon when I started driving and now it's over 3 dollars. What a ripoff!
    And the boss says " I remember when minimum wage was 2 dollars an hour and now I have to pay you guys 10. What a ripoff!"

This topic is about advertised or preceived product from a distributor.

What you say is a ripoff and of a different subject, your purchasing power or dollar value, not an advertised product, but since you brought it up:

Your comparison seems to be around 1973. In 1973 gas was about .40 a gallon, the minimum wage was about $1.60. One hour of minimum wage would have bought 4 gallons of gas that's not diluted with ethanol. Ethanol free gas near me is $3.24 a gallon today, the minimum wage here is $7.25. That one hour wage now only buys you a little more than two gallons. So yeah, it is a ripoff, your purchasing power has been cut in half.

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

What you say is a ripoff and of a different subject, your purchasing power or dollar value, not an advertised product, but since you brought it up:
    Your comparison seems to be around 1973. In 1973 gas was about .40 a gallon, the minimum wage was about $1.60. One hour of minimum wage would have bought 4 gallons of gas that's not diluted with ethanol. Ethanol free gas near me is $3.24 a gallon today, the minimum wage here is $7.25. That one hour wage now only buys you a little more than two gallons. So yeah, it is a ripoff, your purchasing power has been cut in half.

That's also a bad example because in other parts of the country you can still buy approximately 4 gallons of gas from 1 hour of minimum wage.

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

That's also a bad example because in other parts of the country you can still buy approximately 4 gallons of us gas from 1 hour of minimum wage.

Ha, 4 gallons of undiluted gas for $7.25? Where?

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Sony is the one you should be crying to... they supply the rental disc. They’re the one that limits rental disc material. This isn’t Redbox’s fault. You’re barking up the wrong tree.

I'm not barking up any trees, I wouldn't come to Pinside to resolve issues with redbox or any other distributor. I started this topic to discuss short comings of products being sold. Plain and simple, some may agree while others don't, I'm ok with that. I'm not here to be nasty or name call people.

How hard would it be for redbox to put up a pop up disclaimer saying all features may not be available on Blu-ray Disc? They have pop up disclaimers for age.

#157 6 years ago

The product isn't being sold, it's being rented. You rented a movie for a couple of bucks and watched it.

There are retail versions of discs and rental versions of discs. If you want the full versions of a disc, you have to buy it new or used.

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Well, you're the one that said your salad at Outback got smaller without being warned.

If you want a better deal at a steakhouse, cut out a coupon and go to Sizzler instead.

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Ha, 4 gallons of undiluted gas for $7.25? Where?

Who said anything about $7.25? I said "other parts of the country". You're state minimum wage is rather low

In Michigan you can get 3.5 gallons for 1 hour of minimum wage right now...only because gas just shot up 16cpg. Other states get even higher minimum wages than Michigan. Washington DC will go to $13.25 an hour this year.

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

People with good A/V systems don't use streaming, because you can see all the artifacts from the compression used to stream it.
    Even just regular HDTV. Comcrap charges you $15 extra for HD, and then when you compare it to the free HD you get off your rooftop antenna, you see that the quality is terrible from cable. The installers joke that it's "HD Lite"
    Streamed movies are even worse.
    A Bluray disc is 50 gigs for the average movie.
    A streamed Vudu HD movie is 2.5 gigs.
    So 95% of the movie data is disposed of to make it stream.
    If Vudu sent the movie full quality, you would hit Comcrap's 200gig data cap in only 4 movies......

Not sure I agree with this 100%. In my crazy home theater, 4k streaming from Netflix or Amazon is pretty amazing. 4k at 135" is truly spectacular on a JVC dila projector! I have an oppo blu ray and xbox one and I can't really see any increase in quality on those vs. streaming 4k. But my 50 year old eyes might be starting to fade!

#161 6 years ago

I remember when a growler of beer was 64 ounces......oh wait

#162 6 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

I know exactly what I am talking about. I take my ice cream very seriously!
    Take a look at this video.
    » YouTube video

In addition to being a homebuilder, I own an ice cream shop where we make all of our own ice cream. www.theinsidescoop.com The regulations for calling a product ice cream have not changed, but products like Breyer's have, hence the new name on some flavors "frozen dairy dessert." You won't see Dairy Queen or Mcdonalds call their product ice cream either. And if any of you are around Coopersburg, PA, stop in and taste was good ole' fashioned home made ice cream tastes like!

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from acaciolo:

In my crazy home theater, 4k streaming from Netflix or Amazon is pretty amazing. 4k at 135" is truly spectacular on a JVC dila projector!

4k stream is better than any Vudu HD stream, that's for sure.

It probably depends if you can see the difference between the e-shift vs the true 4k on the JVC projectors. My buddy shoots 4K on a RED camera for his movies and he has both an e-shift JVC and a newer native 4K JVC - stunning amount of detail when we were watching the raw movie footage!

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

4k stream is better than any Vudu HD stream, that's for sure.
    It probably depends if you can see the difference between the e-shift vs the true 4k on the JVC projectors. My buddy shoots 4K on a RED camera for his movies and he has both an e-shift JVC and a newer native 4K JVC - stunning amount of detail when we were watching the raw movie footage!

I also have a "fake" 4k projector in my bedroom made by epson, and although it isn't as good as the jvc, it is probably 90%. I am shocked how good the epson e shift 4k projectors are.

#165 6 years ago

They showed 8K at ces, so get ready to spend more money...

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Who said anything about $7.25? I said "other parts of the country". You're state minimum wage is rather low
    In Michigan you can get 3.5 gallons for 1 hour of minimum wage right now...only because gas just shot up 16cpg. Other states get even higher minimum wages than Michigan. Washington DC will go to $13.25 an hour this year.

We are talking averages. You said 1 hour minimum wage would buy 4 gallons of gas. I gave averages for the statement pertaining to when gas was .40 cents a gallon, took a comparison of averages from then and now. I don't know what gas price in DC is, but you are taking this as letter of the law for the whole land. Maybe you can get 4 gallons of PURE gas in DC or Michigan for 1 hour minimum wage, I don't know. This site shows a decrease in price from last week in Michigan, I don't know how much Pure gas is there: http://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=MI

I do know the national average minimum wage is $7.25, so Michigan is on the high end of wages. I know Indiana min wage IS $7.25, and I know gas price here is also the national average so that's how I came to that conclusion. I'm sure gas is more expensive in some areas of the country as well as lower wages.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

The product isn't being sold, it's being rented. You rented a movie for a couple of bucks and watched it.
    There are retail versions of discs and rental versions of discs. If you want the full versions of a disc, you have to buy it new or used.

Yeah, I think I established that in the very first post.

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

How hard would it be for redbox to put up a pop up disclaimer saying all features may not be available on Blu-ray Disc? They have pop up disclaimers for age.

First off, you are right. I wasn't aware that Redbox rentals didn't include the extra features, so thank you for pointing that out.

As for the disclaimer, when they add that it will be on page 42 of their "Terms and Conditions" under an unrelated heading. As I'm sure you're aware, their age pop-up is just a lame legal dodge like the beer sites that make you enter your birth date. I mean, really, if you're under 18 you're too stupid to get past those? That said, the disclaimer SHOULD be somewhere and I didn't find it on the Redbox website.

On Redbox's side, they are targeting a cost-conscious market and are trying to keep their price down. I'm guessing that very few people would select the "includes extra features" disc if it were available as a higher-priced option.

#169 6 years ago

Redbox, I am going to read up a bit on them.

They came out of nowhere and dominated. Was it thier partnership with wal mart? Inquiring minds want to know.

http://elatewiki.org/index.php/RedBox

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#170 6 years ago

They dominated because they gave the consumer a fair deal and didn't gouge them like the video stores did. It's quite simple really.

#171 6 years ago

Someone got chocolate in my peanut butter and I'm not happy about it.

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Redbox surely does have control over this. With the amount of movies they buy they could get the studio to do anything if they were willing to pay for it. Most likely they negotiated a lower price per disk if they don't come with bonus features. Although to be fair, I never felt like redbox advertised to buy the bluray for bonus features, I always thought it was just an image quality thing

Just like blockbuster back in the day.... rentals don't buy all their inventory... they switched to a companion model where they basically license temporary copies in a win-win scenario for the studios/rental store. Studios see greater recurring revenue.. stores wouldn't have to overbuy inventory. Remember when blockbuster started 'garunteeing' availability of the latest releases???. And why ultimately they never had older movies anymore... there was no old inventory around.

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Just like blockbuster back in the day.... rentals don't buy all their inventory... they switched to a companion model where they basically license temporary copies in a win-win scenario for the studios/rental store. Studios see greater recurring revenue.. stores wouldn't have to overbuy inventory. Remember when blockbuster started 'garunteeing' availability of the latest releases???. And why ultimately they never had older movies anymore... there was no old inventory around.

I remember when the video stores like block buster didn't have many older movies, I never understood this but no that you say this it makes sense.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

They dominated because they gave the consumer a fair deal and didn't gouge them like the video stores did. It's quite simple really.

Yup... I will never forget... rented 3 movies from blockbuster at 5 bucks a pop, apparently they changed their rental time from 3 days to 2 1/2 (unbeknownst to me) and when I turned them in at a time that previously would have been on time they charged me 7 bucks a pop in late fee’s. About a year later Red Boxes started popping up. Never rented from them ever again.

The bummer was that my route at the time included a several mom n pop rental stores and they all went out of business within a year of redbox.

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Yup... I will never forget... rented 3 movies from blockbuster at 5 bucks a pop, apparently they changed their rental time from 3 days to 2 1/2 (unbeknownst to me) and when I turned them in at a time that previously would have been on time they charged me 7 bucks a pop in late fee’s. About a year later Red Boxes started popping up. Never rented from them ever again.
    The bummer was that my route at the time included a several mom n pop rental stores and they all went out of business within a year of redbox.

That does suck but nothing last forever, and my job is no different. I in a way miss the video stores but I don't miss their prices at all. Heck I don't even use Redbox hardly anymore either. Between netflix and cable there's no way in hell I can watch everything that I want to watch.

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Someone got chocolate in my peanut butter and I'm not happy about it.

My wife will take it.

#177 6 years ago

The business with McDonald's. Was thier success, Before wal mart. It seems. At the start.

#179 6 years ago

Nevermind

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/consumer-ripoff/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.