Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    ad-placement-fails (resized).jpg
    0A17687F-F578-46E7-9D89-581F62E6CAF3 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ponoplayercolours (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Nomad (resized).jpg
    Pioneer xdp300r (resized).jpg
    Hidiz ap200 (resized).jpg
    akrales_170523_1696_0036.0 (resized).jpg
    onkyo (resized).jpg
    DSCF4118 (resized).jpg
    8148605_thumb (resized).jpg
    Astell-Kern-AK70-MKII_1 (resized).jpg
    NW-ZX300_S_diagonal_PlaybackUI-Mid (resized).jpg
    7835389_thumb (resized).jpg
    There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Not really pinball related, but I am seeing this type of action happen more and more. I see it when I eat at a chain restaurant that's been "remodeled" and the portions are smaller. Little things like the salad bowls at Outback Steakhouse changed a few years ago, the have a "raised" base on the bowl so the appearance of the contents looks to be the same but there is less food. I see it at the gas pumps with the ethanol content being 10%, yet I pay a higher price still. I see it at the grocery store with the package contents being reduced while the price stays the same for the item. I see it when I need my insurance to provide what they lead me to believe in a few occasions then pull out the legal jargon/flowcharts/small print/ and legalistic malarky.

I could go on and on, but tonight I rented a movie from red box. I don't normally rent the blue ray DVDs cause they cost extra and I don't typically care for the bonus features. The movie I rented was based on a true story I have known about for years and I wanted to see the bonus features for this movie blue ray offers. So I pay the extra money for the blue ray. I go home, watch the movie and at the end, I wanted to watch the bonus features. I was unable to watch them because this particular blue ray DVD was "intended" for rental, therefore the bonus material was not available. Apparently because I do not "own" this disc, but paid extra money for the features of blue ray, I cannot watch the features. So once again, I was taken by the same BS as above. I must just be a sucker.

I know it's only a little bit extra and I most likely burn more money in other ways, but it's a matter of principle. Why charge the extra and lead me to believe I am getting extra upfront, then after I buy and consume a product just to find out I didn't get the extras I paid for? Why is this trend so common place now? Why should I have to find the truth after the sale? Anyway, I suppose I'm done ranting. Also done with Redbox. Carry on.

IMG_3056 (resized).JPGIMG_3056 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Redbox has no control over this.

Looks like the studios now want you to BUY the movie to get the extras. Boycott the studio. Not redbox...

#3 6 years ago

Malarky? I haven't heard that term for years and only from my Dad who is now 90!

I think in this day and age, the consumer must do their own diligence to determine if they are getting full or equivalent value from their purchases.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Redbox has no control over this.
    Looks like the studios now want you to BUY the movie to get the extras. Boycott the studio. Not redbox...

Redbox surely does have control over this. With the amount of movies they buy they could get the studio to do anything if they were willing to pay for it. Most likely they negotiated a lower price per disk if they don't come with bonus features. Although to be fair, I never felt like redbox advertised to buy the bluray for bonus features, I always thought it was just an image quality thing

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Not really pinball related, but I am seeing this type of action happen more and more. I see it when I eat at a chain restaurant that's been "remodeled" and the portions are smaller. Little things like the salad bowls at Outback Steakhouse changed a few years ago, the have a "raised" base on the bowl so the appearance of the contents looks to be the same but there is less food. I see it at the gas pumps with the ethanol content being 10%, yet I pay a higher price still. I see it at the grocery store with the package contents being reduced while the price stays the same for the item. I see it when I need my insurance to provide what they lead me to believe in a few occasions then pull out the legal jargon/flowcharts/small print/ and legalistic malarky.
    I could go on and on, but tonight I rented a movie from red box. I don't normally rent the blue ray DVDs cause they cost extra and I don't typically care for the bonus features. The movie I rented was based on a true story I have known about for years and I wanted to see the bonus features for this movie blue ray offers. So I pay the extra money for the blue ray. I go home, watch the movie and at the end, I wanted to watch the bonus features. I was unable to watch them because this particular blue ray DVD was "intended" for rental, therefore the bonus material was not available. Apparently because I do not "own" this disc, but paid extra money for the features of blue ray, I cannot watch the features. So once again, I was taken by the same BS as above. I must just be a sucker.
    I know it's only a little bit extra and I most likely burn more money in other ways, but it's a matter of principle. Why charge the extra and lead me to believe I am getting extra upfront, then after I buy and consume a product just to find out I didn't get the extras I paid for? Why is this trend so common place now? Why should I have to find the truth after the sale? Anyway, I suppose I'm done ranting. Also done with Redbox. Carry on.

You're just now starting to notice this stuff.....really? It's only been going on for like the last 30-40 years. Oh yeah, and Red Box is a pretty damn good bargain for consumers.

#6 6 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM. Haven't you heard how great it is for consumers?

Edit: oops, misread the post and thought it was about the redbox/download code thing that's been ongoing recently.

#7 6 years ago

Outback has skimped on meal portions for years now. Order a Ribeye or something like that and it's 1/4 inch thick...

#8 6 years ago

What is Redbox?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

With the amount of movies they buy they could get the studio to do anything if they were willing to pay for it. Most likely they negotiated a lower price per disk if they don't come with bonus features.

What’s a rental, a dollar twenty nine? At the price level they charge, they couldn’t afford to buy the discs. For a while when the studios cut them off, they were buying the retail package to say F you, we can buy the content. But that model couldn’t be sustained long term due to their low cost to the consumer.

In other words, you get what you pay for, and that is all the studio will give you at that price.

#11 6 years ago

The most outrageous instance of this is car and truck rental companies that hand you the vehicle with a partially filled tank. They know they can either screw you with inflated gas prices if you don't fill it to the same point, or that you will likely over-fill it past the point you were given it in an attempt to not get charged. They either get to charge for gas or get free fuel. Complete scam and should be illegal.

#12 6 years ago

Cereal boxes and snack packages (like cheez-its, for example) have been hit by the grocery shrink ray while at the same time getting more expensive.

#13 6 years ago

I'd like to add 59 Fl.Oz. OJ cartons! I guess metric is finally catching on? = 1.75l

and 12oz packages of bacon! At least this one you can still find 1lb packages.

Quoted from Bud:

... blue ray DVDs ... blue ray DVD ...

This gave me a chuckle. Reminds me of the soda / pop discussion thread...

"I got my blue ray DVD and my orange coke, I'm set for the night!"

#14 6 years ago

This complaint on a pinball forum? LOL.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

You bet. Change up the complaints a little and get a sanity check, make sure I'm just not getting old.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You're just now starting to notice this stuff.....really? It's only been going on for like the last 30-40 years. Oh yeah, and Red Box is a pretty damn good bargain for consumers.

No, I've noticed this for years, but I am noticing this type of business happening more often. The thing that makes me mad is the bonus feature doesn't cost any extra, if anything it cost more to make a special disc without it.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'd like to add 59 Fl.Oz. OJ cartons! I guess metric is finally catching on? = 1.75l
    and 12oz packages of bacon! At least this one you can still find 1lb packages.

This gave me a chuckle. Reminds me of the soda / pop discussion thread...
    "I got my blue ray DVD and my orange coke, I'm set for the night!"

Sorry..... Blu-ray Disc, BRD?

#18 6 years ago

I discovered the same thing with redbox. We love redbox.....saves me about 40 bucks from seeing movies in the theater.

I always youtube deleted scenes at work and go to imdb for the movie trivia....but I get what your saying.

the-olderiget-the-more-understand-michaeldouglas-character-in-falling-down-20529909 (resized).pngthe-olderiget-the-more-understand-michaeldouglas-character-in-falling-down-20529909 (resized).png

#19 6 years ago

People still rent physical discs? I figured Redbox would go the way of Blockbuster in the next 5 years.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Back in the days there was no distintion... all NIB pinballs were "LE"!

Nowadays we still pay LE prices, but we get the "pro" (or poor) version instead...

#21 6 years ago

If you can't beat them, then join them. I hear you can get one of those fire sticks and pay a 12 yr. old $10 they will put a code in and you can watch all the free movies you want.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

People still rent physical discs?

Yes.

#23 6 years ago

This is capitalism at its finest. Companies are in the business of making profit, not giving their customers a deal. They find anyway they can to make an extra buck. Bean counters don’t care as long as the shareholders are happy.

Just look at the “loot boxes” backlash in video games. At first the game was free and you would buy loot boxes for bonus content. Now (Star Wars battlefield 2) you pay full price for the game ($70) and still need to buy loot boxes for required content like a fan favorite character or for special weapons that help you beat the game. If you don’t buy the loot boxes and spend extra money then your required to grind through the game to receive one item. Sometimes requiring an additional 40 hours of game play for one item. This has led to the most down voted comment of all time on reddit, posted by EA trying to defend itself. Multiple governments are now starting to look at this practice of loot boxes describing it as gambling for kids.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Redbox surely does have control over this. With the amount of movies they buy they could get the studio to do anything if they were willing to pay for it. Most likely they negotiated a lower price per disk if they don't come with bonus features.

I'm sure this is exactly what happened. And likely not to gouge anyone. As someone mentioned, Red Box probably won't be around in 5 years, just like Blockbuster.

#25 6 years ago

To the OP: this is nothing new. For the last few years a couple of movie houses have been featuring discs with lesser audio encodes through Redbox. Yes, they want want you to thing twice about renting.

In fact, quite a few currently exclusively offer their immersive sound encodes on retail 4K UHD discs only... not Blu-ray Disc versions.

They want you to pay more to get more... now you know it. Either pony-up and pay... get creative and buy used... or look for streaming/download options.

Just as an FYI (and so you can finally enjoy those special American Made special features without spending another dime)... let me introduce you to a website called YouTube. In the time you spent posting your complaint, you could have gone to YouTube and watched the 10+ minutes of special features your Redbox disc didn’t have:

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Redbox surely does have control over this. With the amount of movies they buy they could get the studio to do anything if they were willing to pay for it. Most likely they negotiated a lower price per disk if they don't come with bonus features. Although to be fair, I never felt like redbox advertised to buy the bluray for bonus features, I always thought it was just an image quality thing

Redbox doesn't have anywhere near the leverage to force the studios to do this; they are TINY compared to Netflix, who is similarly unable to get this to happen. This is purely a Hollywood thing to entice you to buy the disc, and it's actually been going on since VHS back in the early 80s.

#27 6 years ago

yeah the grocery store antics are BS. Here in the Cincy area we have Krogers as the big chain and I laugh at the signs that advertise "New Lower Price" when in reality the price is higher than it was just a few days prior. Guess we as Americans have become enamored with our large portions at value prices!

#28 6 years ago

My daughter really wants to see the my little pony movie. We didn’t go to the theater to watch it. It’s currently available on the Apple TV for digital purchase for $20. You can’t spend $5 to digitally rent it for another week or two. All trying to get a couple extra bucks from the consumer.

#29 6 years ago

I totally agree and understand, I’m 36. I don’t know how old the op is, but give the guy a break for bad jargon, and actually read what the guy posted.

I work in the auto glass industry, I constantly have to tell customers “you get what you pay for when it comes to glass on your vehicle”

Our company spends rediculous money on insurance, tools, training, better quality glass and parts etc; so we can do the best job that can be done. Our competition cares less for these things, they don’t see the customer as important and a repeat customer. Our company charges more and gives better service and treats each customer like family. In return we have the largest thriving glass company 7 businesses strong in an area where there are no other glass companies with more than one store.

I too hate the way of consumerism and getting screwed like a tourist while sitting at home.

My life and business reflects that you can thrive while still giving people what their hard earned money deserves, no matter what the product.

(That is considering that people actually work hard for their money, I’m still hoping the millennial crew will stop playing video games and learn something useful)

#30 6 years ago

Participation award = welfare checks
    I hope I'm wrong

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

That is considering that people actually work hard for their money, I’m still hoping the millennial crew will stop playing video games and learn something useful)

They don't believe in the old adage our parents pounded into our heads which is "you have to work hard to climb the ladder in order get the things outta life you value and want. Dads best advice "if you want it go out and earn it!" Millennials want it all now, no time for working their way to that point.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

To the OP: this is nothing new. For the last few years a couple of movie houses have been featuring discs with lesser audio encodes through Redbox. Yes, they want want you to thing twice about renting.
    In fact, quite a few currently exclusively offer their immersive sound encodes on retail 4K UHD discs only... not Blu-ray Disc versions.
    They want you to pay more to get more... now you know it. Either pony-up and pay... get creative and buy used... or look for streaming/download options.
    Just as an FYI (and so you can finally enjoy those special American Made special features without spending another dime)... let me introduce you to a website called YouTube. In the time you spent posting your complaint, you could have gone to YouTube and watched the 10+ minutes of special features your Redbox disc didn’t have:
    » YouTube video

You are missing the point. I know I can YouTube, I know I can buy used disc, and the tons of other sources to get the info I was expecting. The whole point of this is simple and a matter of principle. If a product is sold/used/rented etc. the distributor should be upfront about the products quality/quantity/or any lack of, especially when an "upgrade charge" is applied and the features are the upgrade aren't included. Sooooo, what was the upgrade in this case and why was I charged extra?

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Sooooo, what was the upgrade in this case and why was I charged extra?

Better picture quality

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

This is capitalism at its finest. Companies are in the business

Don't know if I would call this "capitalism at its finest". I would call this misrepresentation at its finest. Nothing wrong with making a profit, the error is the engineered misrepresentation. I don't mind people making a profit, that's one of the incentives of commerce and innovation. I don't expect anything for free, but I don't want to pay extra for nothing.

#35 6 years ago

Ben Franklin was right, “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Cereal boxes and snack packages (like cheez-its, for example) have been hit by the grocery shrink ray while at the same time getting more expensive.

filling inside of hot pockets too

#37 6 years ago

Did you watch the movie? Did you enjoy the movie? Did you ever think the extra .50 cents is for the better quality Blueray offers. I think if you reflect you will find you got your $1.98 worth.

#38 6 years ago

Yes,it's all a bunch of malarky to me as well!!

#39 6 years ago

Man I don't get deleted scenes on some $2 DVD rental...Outback's dinner is now only 4,000 calories instead of the 5,000 calories it used to be...Ops are starting to charge $1 a game of pinball...

it's all a big scam I tells ya!!!!

#40 6 years ago

To be fair, blu-ray plays at a higher resolution than normal dvd's. Normal dvd's have had bonus features for years. You just expect more with blu-ray because the disk can contain much more data. A lot of times, bonus features are on a second disk. Having multiple disks to keep track of probably doesn't work well in the rental market. If you are that into a movie, I would just buy it.

#41 6 years ago

It's shrinkflation. I'm not sure if it's different in other states but in my grocery stores there are two prices listed for every item. The price on the right is the cost of the item and the one on the left is the cost of the item per lb, count, etc depending on what the item is. Always pay attention to the left price as that's your actual value. I've seen some instances where buying the smaller box/package is actually the better deal. And for some products where you can get away with store brand you'll see again pretty big savings.

Unfortunately it's just a symptom of a nation going further in debt, a stagnant if not declining standard of living, overall savings among population going down and I'm sure many other reasons.

#42 6 years ago

You are buying the better image quality (blu-ray vs dvd) at Redbox. Sorry you did not know there were rental vs retail versions of disks, but now you know.

A few years ago Dawn soap went from a small 10oz container to 9oz for $1. Now the same $1 gets you 8oz. The competition is still at 10oz and guess where my money goes?

#43 6 years ago

IMG_0866 (resized).PNGIMG_0866 (resized).PNG

#44 6 years ago

Are really talking about a $1.98 rental?

What is the actual cost?

#45 6 years ago

When I was in grade school in the 70's we went to the school forest as an alternative learning experience. A man came in with his candy bar collection to show us how size and price changed over the years dating way back before I was born.

This type of marketing isn't new, they are just counting on us being used to it.

#46 6 years ago

I'm waiting for redbox to create an account so they can tell their version of the story

#47 6 years ago

I pretty much 100% stream now (subscription and rentals) which is super convenient, but I do miss the bonus features. Adding in the features would be a good way for a streaming service to differentiate themselves. I know you sometimes get "extras" with rentals/purchases but you never see audio commentaries on streaming, for instance.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

When I was in grade school in the 70's we went to the school forest as an alternative learning experience. A man came in with his candy bar collection to show us how size and price changed over the years dating way back before I was born.
    This type of marketing isn't new, they are just counting on us being used to it.

Funny how inflation works.

Also didn’t Redbox put a lot of video stores out of business with their pricing or was that Netflix?

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

So a man brought some candy to children in the forest? What kinda school did you go to

#50 6 years ago

Netflix, Redbox and even Blockbuster (when alive) has done this for years stripping out extras. The only way to get everything is to buy the physical DVD/Blu-ray always.

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/consumer-ripoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.