Constructive discussion of Stern Insider

By BriannaWu

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Now that I have Godzilla Premium, I've had a chance to really try out their internet connected Stern Insider program. I know a lot of you had concerns about this initiative, concerns I overwhelmingly share. But, I was hoping we could have a discussion about why, in my opinion, it's not bringing enough features to make it worth entering your QR code in the machine.

Because the truth is, this feature is going to continue existing in Stern products, and I'd like them to make it better.

Right now the main problem is it's pretty much an achievement list. You only get half-credit for the achievement on your home machine, as it is "unverified." Destroy a building with Godzilla, destroy 5 buildings in a game with Godzilla, etc.

I don't think this is good motivation to use the service. It's certainly not worth spending $40 a year for.

I think if the service offered daily challenges with substantial rewards or unlocks, that would go a long way towards making it more interesting. Skins, new callouts, new artwork - all of this could make it worth logging in every day to play.

Another way the service could make it "worth it" would be backing up your settings and high scores to the cloud. I just updated my Godzilla code and lost all my high scores. Having to enter in Wifi all over again was a huge PITA.

The bottom line is, an achievement list is not compelling enough to use this service. Even as a v1.0 product, this is surprisingly bare bones.

#2 2 years ago

Tons more to come. Give it a year or two and see where things are. For now just use the free version.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

Now that I have Godzilla Premium, I've had a chance to really try out their internet connected Stern Insider program. I know a lot of you had concerns about this initiative, concerns I overwhelmingly share. But, I was hoping we could have a discussion about why, in my opinion, it's not bringing enough features to make it worth entering your QR code in the machine.
Because the truth is, this feature is going to continue existing in Stern products, and I'd like them to make it better.
Right now the main problem is it's pretty much an achievement list. You only get half-credit for the achievement on your home machine, as it is "unverified." Destroy a building with Godzilla, destroy 5 buildings in a game with Godzilla, etc.
I don't think this is good motivation to use the service. It's certainly not worth spending $40 a year for.
I think if the service offered daily challenges with substantial rewards or unlocks, that would go a long way towards making it more interesting. Skins, new callouts, new artwork - all of this could make it worth logging in every day to play.
Another way the service could make it "worth it" would be backing up your settings and high scores to the cloud. I just updated my Godzilla code and lost all my high scores. Having to enter in Wifi all over again was a huge PITA.
The bottom line is, an achievement list is not compelling enough to use this service. Even as a v1.0 product, this is surprisingly bare bones.

Achievements are stupid to begin with. Some arbitrary goal to make you feel better. If getting some random thing accomplished in your game makes you feel better, then hell yeah. Fortunately there is a scoring system already in most machines called points. I will never purchase a qr reader for any of my Sterns. It kind of defeats the purpose of pinball.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Achievements are stupid to begin with. Some arbitrary goal to make you feel better. If getting some random thing accomplished in your game makes you feel better, then hell yeah. Fortunately there is a scoring system already in most machines called points. I will never purchase a qr reader for any of my Sterns. It kind of defeats the purpose of pinball.

I got out of video gaming casually because I was sick of updating my Xbox every time I turned it on… and then found out the game I wanted to play needed an update too. A pinball turns on and starts a game in seconds. Then I see my son get participation trophy achievements on the Xbox for the most simple things and it’s just not for me.

Today I watched two adults try to scan their QR codes on a NIB GZ Prem and they couldn’t get it to work. Fumbled in the settings for 20min. QR codes still didn’t work. I had to get home and it still wasn’t working. And when it works in the home environment I’m sure it will be another achievement quest and I’m sure it will add nothing to make the game more fun that it already is (and it is!).

I think pinball is starting to jump the same shark that gaming did for me years ago. I may have to limit myself to pre-2021 titles going forward.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I got out of video gaming casually because I was sick of updating my Xbox every time I turned it on…

Uff I'm wrestling my PC right now trying to get games to work after updates, so annoying.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Achievements are stupid to begin with. Some arbitrary goal to make you feel better. If getting some random thing accomplished in your game makes you feel better, then hell yeah.

well, you just described pinball. sorry to hear it's not for you.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I have played a few games I have enjoyed achievements on, but I’m with you. A lot of people seem to enjoy them, for reasons I do not understand. ‍♀️

#8 2 years ago

It was great at Expo for high score charting, but now that I have a GZ at home, meh. Hoping more to come for home user, otherwise it really doesn’t mean much.

With more game sales going to home use vs operator, Stern really needs to focus on who is buying their games, and what IC is gonna do for them.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

I have played a few games I have enjoyed achievements on, but I’m with you. A lot of people seem to enjoy them, for reasons I do not understand. ‍♀️

They are fun.

#10 2 years ago

I don’t even use it on my GZ LE. I like to see achievements the old fashion way when I enter my initials. I wish it was an option. I’d rather have the $200. When someone makes a cool piece of artwork to cover it I’ll probably do that.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

well, you just described pinball. sorry to hear it's not for you.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"81e28aaa3d329ea2d37f185eae6228ade20f518f-1637540902-1800"};
//]]>

Getting the most points in pinball is the goal. Not some random thing Stern says it's important.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

I don’t even use it on my GZ LE. I like to see achievements the old fashion way when I enter my initials. I wish it was an option. I’d rather have the $200. When someone makes a cool piece of artwork to cover it I’ll probably do that.

Wait can you NOT enter your initials anymore?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Wait can you NOT enter your initials anymore?

yes, you can. I think he was just implying that the process of entering his initials is all he needs.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

That hasn’t changed, you still get to put initials in. Nothing about playing is any different.
The IC is in *addition* to regular game play should you choose to use it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/constructive-discussion-of-stern-insider?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.