(Topic ID: 103723)

Finally Done 12/17 :Construction on NH's newest home game room has started :)

By Max_Badazz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Max_Badazz
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 117 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dec5_2.jpg
    dec5_3.jpg
    dec17_14.jpg
    dec5_4.jpg
    dec17_13.jpg
    dec17_15.jpg
    dec17_9.jpg
    dec17_11.jpg
    dec17_12.jpg
    dec17_10.jpg
    dec17_6.jpg
    dec17_7.jpg
    dec17_8.jpg
    dec17_5.jpg
    dec17_1.jpg
    dec17_3.jpg

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

stop being wimps and carry them up the old fashion way like I do

You must be a gorilla then.

#102 4 years ago

Ed, I get tired just looking at your steps

#103 4 years ago

It appears your not simply sheetrocking the ceiling. Tongue and groove something or other?

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

stop being wimps and carry them up the old fashion way like I do - I will try to post a picture if I can find one - ps: it does suck to carry them up and carry them down into my garage gameroom. I think my dimensions are 34 by 40. mine does not have 3 stairs though - I forget - but I think it is like 18 stairs. it does have 3 platforms to take breaks.
    the killer was getting woz up there.
    thanks ed

Ed's stairs....

[attachment=2018248,]

122589-i.jpg
    #105 4 years ago

You're in it man... bare walls right time to make it perfect, the closet idea is brilliant!

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from JIM_Z:

Ed's stairs....
    [attachment=2018248,]

122589-i.jpg 52 KB

You've got to be kidding me.....with legs on too.?

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You've got to be kidding me.....with legs on too.?

I think its easier with the legs on, you can still set it down if you need a sec to re-grip or eat a sandwich.

#108 4 years ago

The legs are only on the low side. So you can rest on the stairs and have the pin sit level

#109 4 years ago

Wow, this is looking great!

Subscribed for awesomeness

Chris

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from JIM_Z:

Ed's stairs....
    [attachment=2018248,]

thanks for doing that as i don't have to hunt for a picture now - i remember coming on here with that picture and saying how hard it was to get that game up there.

ed

122589-i.jpg 52 KB

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I think its easier with the legs on, you can still set it down if you need a sec to re-grip or eat a sandwich.

always with legs on for that reason - if you need a break you just set it down and make sure it doesn't fall - it's a lot of stairs without a rest.

thanks ed

#112 4 years ago

Anyone have any ideas for wiring multiple TV's in the room? I have a cable box in the main tv area, which will have HDMI output. If I want to send that to three tv's, whats the best way? There's regular coax to the other two tv's (the main tv is next to the box so it will get the usual HDMI cable). One tv is a good 50' of wire away, the other about 40+' away. I thought about hdmi to coax, but its hard to find much for that. I see HDMI to cat5 and back, which seems promising. Some converters (extenders) have two cat 5's, some say you only need one. Keep in mind I couldn't care less about quality and sound from the other two tv's, just the main (which should be fine because its the short hdmi cable)

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Anyone have any ideas for wiring multiple TV's in the room?

I have 2 TVs in my bar and the best thing I did was wire them separately. Having all TVs come off one box is great in the sense you're only paying your cable provider for the one box BUT there is nothing like being able to have each tv have its own box. I get the NHL Center Ice package and it's nice to be able to have two different games on the different TVs instead of having the same game on all! Just a thought!

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Anyone have any ideas for wiring multiple TV's in the room? I have a cable box in the main tv area, which will have HDMI output. If I want to send that to three tv's, whats the best way? There's regular coax to the other two tv's (the main tv is next to the box so it will get the usual HDMI cable). One tv is a good 50' of wire away, the other about 40+' away. I thought about hdmi to coax, but its hard to find much for that. I see HDMI to cat5 and back, which seems promising. Some converters (extenders) have two cat 5's, some say you only need one. Keep in mind I couldn't care less about quality and sound from the other two tv's, just the main (which should be fine because its the short hdmi cable)

They sell HDMI splitters that do a good job of splitting the signal. HDMI can be used for about 75' or so before you need to add an inline amp to boost the signal, so there is no reason why you could not run HDMI to all 3 TVs.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

I have 2 TVs in my bar and the best thing I did was wire them separately. Having all TVs come off one box is great in the sense you're only paying your cable provider for the one box BUT there is nothing like being able to have each tv have its own box. I get the NHL Center Ice package and it's nice to be able to have two different games on the different TVs instead of having the same game on all! Just a thought!

Yeah, I ended up just paying the $10 extra per box and getting the smaller box that can still access the DVR (if you have Comcast or something similar). It's just easier than trying to split it and it'll enable multiple games to be watched if you have a party. Just made sure to run the Coax all over. Ethernet to the big screen that has all the gaming systems, the other tvs are fine connected via wifi.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

They sell HDMI splitters that do a good job of splitting the signal. HDMI can be used for about 75' or so before you need to add an inline amp to boost the signal, so there is no reason why you could not run HDMI to all 3 TVs.

I agree with this. Plus it will be versatile in the future if you wanted use them as monitors from a PC located at your wiring origin. Also, Cat5 is so cheap and small you should run those through as well to future proof.

#117 4 years ago

Be careful with splitters. I've ran into issues with HDCP (copy protection) where two TVs are connected to the same hdmi signal via a splitter and neither work if one display is off because the source can't verify the TV that's off. It doesn't happen all the time but I have seen it several times. Also with HDMI extenders over Cat5, you'll generally need two cat5 runs to each TV and many require power at least for the transmitter. Don't forget to plan for that. My vote is for a cable box at each TV. Coax is cheap and you can watch multiple channels if desired. Good luck!

#118 4 years ago

Cat5 with extenders is the way to go. I even put in a third wire just in case i need to upgrade a decade down the road.

#119 4 years ago

find something like this in usa http://www.zantech.com.au/extender/hdmi-to-cat6-system.html is the best way.

#120 4 years ago

If you only want 1 box and all 3 TVs to show the same station just get a splitter.
    http://tinyurl.com/ov3flsx

#121 4 years ago

I built a home theater pc using a ceton infinitv, a $2 a month cable card from TWC, and windows 7 (with media center).

i can watch/record 4 different live shows at once, and stream any recorded shows to any of the three tvs in my house. Each tv needs a extender (i used the xbox 360s, i had already) and should be wired with ethernet ( i used cat 6 and a gige switch). Ammount of stuff you can record is only limited to the size of the harddrive space in the pc.

Newer infinitv cards allow 6 channels instead of 4. Ceton also sells something called an echo that could be used instead of the xbox 360, but its pricey. And xbox 360s should be cheaper used/refurb from gamestop.

http://cetoncorp.com

#122 4 years ago

im going through all this right now in my basement. on my fireplace is an 80" "quad screen" tv, it can split the screen into quarters, and put a different channel on each 1/4. i am also putting tv's in 3 other locations as well so i could realistically 7 different viewing at the same time, although i do need 7 satt receivers , a switching video hub and an amp to support all this. i can take some pics and hijack them to your thread if you like just so you can get an idea of what type of cable you may want to run. i do believe there is a cat 5 and a comp cable run to each location ( except the 80"quad has that X4)

#123 4 years ago

If you wire it yourself, get your cables from monoprice.com
    They have the best prices on lots of A/V stuff.

#124 4 years ago

Extra boxes is not an option.....I pay so much to Comcast, these extra TVs might be used a couple times a month at most....not worth the $24 extra/mo.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Extra boxes is not an option.....I pay so much to Comcast, these extra TVs might be used a couple times a month at most....not worth the $24 extra/mo.

Certainly understand. Maybe give it some thought to have one extra box instead of two! Also, again just a thought, run the cable to have 3 boxes now so it's there. This way if you decide to have 2 or 3 boxes in the future your cable is already there!

#126 4 years ago

Agree with meSz. Run the cable. If it's not going to be used often, it's easy enough just to grab a box from inside the house, and hook it up for the night of a party or something. Better to have too many options than not enough. And speaking as someone who cut about a dozen holes in the walls and ceilings to run coax where I wanted it, run everything you can think of before the drywall goes up. Better to leave it unused than to decide you want it later and have to add it in.

Your space is looking amazing by the way. Can't wait to see it completed!

#127 4 years ago

pay monthly per box?? scam most satt providers just sell you extra receivers.

anyway at each tv there is 2-cat5 , 1 cat-6 and a coax (grey, smaller diameter than the usual black)

have you figured out your lighting yet? im using these

http://www.lotusledlights.com/recessed-led-lights-super-thin-6-inch-p-120.html

they are super thin, and dimm-able. i placed the trim rings where i wanted them then my sparky ran low voltage wire to my mech room where they will tie in to 120vac with the junction box. (16 of 30-ish are right on joists )
    i would pre-wire for sound also.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

run the cable to have 3 boxes now so it's there

That just got done. Going with a single cat 6 (instead of the dual 5's). Can't wait til the sheetrock is up. Hopefully I will snap some pics tomorrow morning......with the time change, its dark before I get home and I forget to go out before they all show up at 6:45

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

That just got done. Going with a single cat 6 (instead of the dual 5's).

That was the other thing I was going to suggest.....running Cat6 cable through the place.

#130 4 years ago

OK, I forgot I had a few pics at night..... not the greatest, but shows some progress on the bathroom (kitchenette is the outside of the wall...they are back to back)

nov3_1.jpg
    nov3_2.jpg
    nov3_3.jpg

#131 4 years ago

one of the cat-5 if for the home control stuff. (tv on/off,ect) so i dont think it's really needed if your not doing a smart home system in there.
    i just finished dry waling and my taper is supposed to be here anytime now.

#132 4 years ago

you have a good framer , lots of backing in the inside corners, outside corners are overbuilt ( structural build up) and door headers are pocketed, crippled, and headers are doubled up. that guy is quality! well done picking that tradesman.

#133 4 years ago

And a cheap plumber - stub-outs should be copper, not Pex.

An option on the TVs might be a TiVo (Roamio) at the "main" TV location with TiVo Mini extenders (connected via cat5 or coax) elsewhere. Zero additional payment to Comcast for the extra locations.

#134 4 years ago

Re: HDMI, multiple TV question.

The big question here is how far is the TV from the box/sender. Realistically, HDMI is pretty reliable with a good quality cable for about 30ft. I know some people that have gone longer and had no issue. I know some people that have had nothing but issues beyond that. So, YMMV.

So, maybe coax is a good solution for you, maybe not. There's a ton of variables involved.

For HDMI splitting, this is a pretty decent box for the price. We use it in our church setup.
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8156&seq=1&format=2

For HDMI over lengths greater than 30' I wouldn't use anything else but HDBaseT anymore. This gets you ethernet as well. But, while the best solution and now an industry standard, not cheap (north of $200 per TV).
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091401&p_id=10225&seq=1&format=2
    Or for about $20 more you get nice wall plates...
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091401&p_id=10224&seq=1&format=2

Good luck!
    Jaz

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

you have a good framer

They weren't the cheapest but not the most expensive...highly rated and a pleasure to work with. They are wicked efficient. I blink and BOOM!....HVAC is installed with the furnace

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

HDMI is pretty reliable with a good quality cable for about 30ft

We are looking at about 60' of line to one tv and about 45 to the other

#137 4 years ago

You can use a converter box and go HDMI to convert box to ethernet then back to hdmi. We did that in a game room for wii/tv/xbox/ps3's.

#138 4 years ago

few more pics of the progress..... rough electrical is in, plumbing, cable, cat 6, hvac, I've got steps now, some siding, and the farmers porch is in progress. Windows and doors are up too. Visually its no longer exciting, but we are less than 4 weeks away from completion

nov5_1.jpg nov5_2.jpg nov5_3.jpg nov5_5.jpg nov5_10.jpg nov5_14a.jpg
    #139 4 years ago

love it, love it, love it. Thats all I can say.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

outside corners are overbuilt

Not sure I agree with this being good. In the Northeast you want to see this area open so it can be filled with insulation. Wood allows too much thermal bridging. Not a big deal. Also depends on how you end up insulating the rest of the envelope. Just another opinion.

#141 4 years ago

That being said, beautiful project.

#142 4 years ago

Wow, they are moving along nicely! Looking great man!

Love the updates

Chris

#143 4 years ago

Looking great is stating the obvious.

#144 4 years ago

This is amazing. I'd love to do something similar someday. Can I ask a rough estimate of what a project like this costs?

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

This is amazing. I'd love to do something similar someday. Can I ask a rough estimate of what a project like this costs?

I would love to know as well, although I don't expect to have him tell us.

I would have to guess with the size and construction it would be close to 100K in my mind.

Chris

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I would love to know as well, although I don't expect to have him tell us.

I've had a half dozen people IM me about the cost....I don't mind saying it.

When the project is all said and done... $160k.

Now before you say WTF....keep in mind that there was a ton of extras added to the project beyond the garage that added up

we had all of the doors and windows replaced in the house
    we had the oil pipes/lines and some outdoor water faucets moved outside of the house
    we added the mudroom
    we added a big deck in the back
    we added a farmers porch in the front
    we upgraded all the windows, doors and storm doors from the basic model they were going to get
    electrical upgrades beyond belief
    we had the floor made to hold all the weight
    we requested 8' walls upstairs so the games cleared everywhere
    vaulted ceilings in the garage and mudroom
    repairs to the house in the back from last years ice
    landscaping of the front year
    removal of old shed and many trees

Remove all that extra stuff and the garage wasn't very costly

#147 4 years ago

You get what you pay for. Quality does not come cheap. I think you are getting good value for the money that you will enjoy for many, many years.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Now before you say WTF....keep in mind that there was a ton of extras added to the project beyond the garage that added up

and add in that you live in New England as it's a lot more expensive then a lot of other states!

#149 4 years ago

We did get pretty much exactly what we wanted.....plus the house stuff needed to be done (the windows were original to the house from 1985). Saving on heat will offset the cost. I could have gone smaller, but then what good is a new game room that can't hold everything. The plan is to retire in this house, so we have a few decades left to enjoy it before that happens.

#150 4 years ago

Did you leave room for my cot thought? I won't take up much room and I'll even bring a couple of games with me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball
    $ 50.00
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Forever
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 224.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside