(Topic ID: 20268)

Considering The Shadow - Price Range and Things to Look For?

By mrSATURN2012

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dscn07961.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi there,

I am considering getting TS this weekend. Is there a typical price range I should be looking at? The playfield and cabinet look immaculate. What are typical things that I need to look out for when I go check it out? Also, what are some items that are prone to breaking on the machine?

Thanks!

Chad

#2 11 years ago

Chad,

Price depends on area but, check the ss ramps for broken welds. Right one can be had easy for $80 but left one is tougher to find.

The diverter drivers (metal) on the bottom are often worn out but those can be purchased on marco for pretty cheap.

#3 11 years ago

They are all pieces of garbage, send me the sellers info, so I can help him dispose of it

Serious note, look at the boards, look for acid damage and CN120 and 121 connectors for burning. Look under play field for hacks, go into test mode, look for credits DOTs and go into switch mode, test each switch using a finger. Cycle all lights and solenoids, test display and sound. That should sum it up.....

#4 11 years ago

I think the most common issue is wear at "The Sanctum"

dscn07961.jpgdscn07961.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Check carefully for broken plastics. While they are supposed to be re-run sometime in the near future, they are nearly impossible to find at the moment (with the exception of the slingshot plastics). The game should have three little Mongol statues, and two Phurba daggers (one on each ramp diverter). Reproductions are finally available, but their cost should be factored in if they are missing. Also make sure the mini-playfield is working properly, and that the drop targets are all dropping/resetting like they should.

Mongols:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9248

Phurbas:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9249P

#6 11 years ago

Pretty much what everyone else mentioned, especially the sanctum wear. But I'd also like to add to the list; make sure it has 4 rings, 3 Mongols and 2 phurba daggers. All of them are cosmetic except the rings actually serve as indicators for venegence mode. Good Luck!!

#7 11 years ago

Well looks like I was a little bit slow... lol

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Chudmeat:

Well looks like I was a little bit slow... lol

LOL! I forgot about the rings, though.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks, all! Seems like there is some wear at the Sanctum entrance. Only two Mongols, I thought I knew there was something missing!

Four rings, good sign. However, some cabinet damage near the coin door...Hmmm...

Thanks for all the helpful comments, guys! When I go check it out, these will help!

#10 11 years ago

Here is a chance to get the missing Mongol if ya want:

ebay.com link: Shadow Pinball Mongul Figure NOS Excellent Condition

#11 11 years ago

I don't think you'll find one without sanctum issues unless already touched up. Just use woodfiller , sticker and Mylar.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Chudmeat:

Here is a chance to get the missing Mongol if ya want:

I am NOT ripping on you, partner, but they are way cheaper on the link gweem posted...

#13 11 years ago

No offensive taken what so ever. Planetary pinball website is blocked here at my work.

#14 11 years ago

Ya, repro Mongols all the way.

Quoted from TZBen:

I don't think you'll find one without sanctum issues unless already touched up. Just use woodfiller , sticker and Mylar.

Good to know!

#15 11 years ago

We never answered his question of what are price ranges currently, I would say an average game right now with the prices all over the board would be $1800 to $2300 in good shape with sanctum wear, no errors, some minor dings in cabinet.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from PinPlayer2:

We never answered his question of what are price ranges currently, I would say an average game right now with the prices all over the board would be $1800 to $2300 in good shape with sanctum wear, no errors, some minor dings in cabinet.

I'd say that's right in there. I think there were two in varying conditions last week for sale
in WI advertised at $1900 and $2K respectively.

#17 11 years ago

What are the rings you guys are talking about, I am interested in this machine for the future and want to know for down the line.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

What are the rings you guys are talking about, I am interested in this machine for the future and want to know for down the line.

There are four signet rings that light up on the playfield. They are about the size of an actual ring and they are attached to ramps in the game.

Hope that helps!

#19 11 years ago

Divertors should not actually hit the ramps!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Divertors should not actually hit the ramps!

True, true; I've heard that they are hard to find and hard to replace...

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

True, true; I've heard that they are hard to find and hard to replace

Replacing them is actually pretty simple. Just loosen a hex nut and pull the divertor out.

#22 11 years ago

Chud, I am struggling getting the parts to separate. I have the hex nuts out...and the piece will not come off of the shaft...?

#23 11 years ago

Skip to about 4:30 and he explains how to do it. I replicated the exact process and it worked for me.

It's actually allen screws, my mistake, that you loosen to get the divertor out. Is that what you were asking me about or have I missed it completely?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

There are four signet rings that light up on the playfield. They are about the size of an actual ring and they are attached to ramps in the game.

Hope that helps!

helps very much! Thank you!

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from lonnkor:

I'd say that's right in there. I think there were two in varying conditions last week for sale
in WI advertised at $1900 and $2K respectively.

They have been on there for quite some time. I inquired on them this Spring. Pretty rough shape.

#26 11 years ago

Nice ones go for close to 3K now!!! I know of 2 that sold for 2800 and 2900.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Chudmeat:

It's actually allen screws, my mistake, that you loosen to get the divertor out.

UNREAL. When he got to the part where I am stuck (screws are loose but the damned thing won't separate) he skipped to it being done! lol I will start my own thread for this. Sorry for the jack, OP

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Nice ones go for close to 3K now!!! [] I know of 2 that sold for 2800 and 2900.

I agree. I just payed $3K for mine. For a long time I was in denial and refused to pay up for one. I let a near mint one go for $2500 about six months back. It took a while for it to sink in, but I finally realized that it isn't a $2K game anymore (at least not in the kind of shape I was looking for). Very nice Shadows are getting harder and harder to come by. I feel very lucky that I ultimately found one, as it just sort of fell into my lap.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree. I just payed $3K for mine.

Damn I thought this was a bang for the buck game! Someone needs to update that list, its on there at 1200$!

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Damn I thought this was a bang for the buck game! Someone needs to update that list, its on there at 1200$!

I still think it's a great bang for the buck title, but it's obviously gone up in price a ton over the past year. Bear in mind, the one I purchased is about as nice of an example as you will find that hasn't been completely restored. It has new head decals, a great cabinet, virtually no Sanctum wear, no broken plastics, newly plated wireforms, and a chromed gun. Given the condition, I actually think I got a decent deal in today's market.

#31 11 years ago

There are a lot of game averages that do not look right to me either. This is the biggest one. At what point will the prices on this site update to reflect true market value. Or is it a slow update in an attempt to keep prices down?

The price guides and websited that I use to use in order to get a ballpark est. of machines worth are all over the place lately. An uptrend is too hard to follow?

Great game almost always has sanctum wear.

If there is one in the world for 1200 I would like to know where it is.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I still think it's a great bang for the buck title, but it's obviously gone up in price a ton over the past year. Bear in mind, the one I purchased is about as nice of an example as you will find that hasn't been completely restored. It has new head decals, a great cabinet, virtually no Sanctum wear, no broken plastics, newly plated wireforms, and a chromed gun. Given the condition, I actually think I got a decent deal in today's market.

Oh for sure! It is a great machine and well worth it, especially in nice condition. You are just hearing some sour grapes on my end. Living in California prices are already high to begin with. Last year anything on the bang for the buck list would have about 200-300$ tacked on it out here. Nowadays anything on that list is almost double around these parts. Out here we have people trying to sell Harley Davidson for 2,800-- Back to the future for 1,800--- and High Speed for 1,500. Not the same seller mind you, three separate ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-the-shadow-price-range-and-things-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.