(Topic ID: 126448)

Considering the Hakko FR-300--what accessories & replacement parts to get?

By ForceFlow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So, I've had a the Hakko desoldering gun on my buy list for a while.

Considering I have a whole bunch of boards in my machines that need repairs and bulletproofing, and since the solder suckers I've been using have been a hindrance, I was thinking about actually pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Are there any accessories, cleaning supplies, replacement parts, etc. that I should get along with the desoldering gun that I might need later after the gun gets some use? I'd rather not have to stop in the middle of what I'm doing to order and wait for a common part that is typically replaced in the course of normal maintenance for this tool.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on this shortly. I've just about had it with desoldering pumps.

#8 8 years ago

Does the kit with extra nozzles also come with the matching cleaning pins for those extra nozzles?

#11 8 years ago

So, it arrived today and I gave it a try. Honestly, my expectations were pretty low after being frustrated with the desoldering pumps, so I wasn't sure what to expect with the Hakko desoldering gun. I thought folks were exaggerating a little when they said it took seconds to desolder components.

To use as a test, I had three Gottlieb boards with NiCad batteries with the 4 legs soldered to the board. Normally, it has been taking me 15-20 minutes to remove just one of these batteries from a board.

Much to my surprise, it took 2-3 seconds to desolder each leg, and another 5-10 seconds to wiggle the battery loose. So, it took me less than 30 seconds to remove a NiCad battery when before, it was taking me 15-20 minutes with a desoldering pump.

I am impressed. And it takes a lot to genuinely impress me.

When I sat down at my worktable, I was expecting to be there for a solid half hour. After finishing everything up that I had planned in only a few minutes, golly gee wiz, I wasn't quite sure what to do with the time I saved.

I don't know how this tool will hold up long-term, but so far, I'm willing to give it a thumbs up.

10 months later
    #15 8 years ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I have .8mm, 1.0m, and 1.3 mm tips for this gun. Any real reason to get a 1.6 mm tip?

I use it all the time. Mostly for .156" headers and solder tabs with wires attached.

5 months later
    #17 7 years ago

I've used mine pretty regularly since I got it last year. It's held up pretty well. Granted, it only gets moderate usage--a few hours every week or two, so not anywhere near the usage levels you're anticipating.

If an individual component fails, parts are available, so you would only have to replace a failed part, and not the whole unit.

I clean the tip regularly with a brass sponge while I desoldering, run a cleaning rod through the tip every so often, and I haven't any serious issues with scratches on a PCB.

It has been an incredible time saver and made desoldering a trivial task.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-the-hakko-fr-300-what-accessories-to-get?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.