(Topic ID: 126448)

Considering the Hakko FR-300--what accessories & replacement parts to get?

By ForceFlow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Get a 1.0mm tip (it probably comes with this size) and a 1.6mm tip. Consider 0.8mm and 1.3mm tips as well. Get the cleaning poker for the appropriate sizes too.

Consider getting the cleaning drill bits for sizes you use as well. I don't have the drill bits, and can still clean out the tips effectively. Drill would make it a lot easier.

Get a pack of extra ceramic filters. These go pretty fast and is most used consumable item for this gun. Make sure to get the big ones. There is two sizes of filters, you want the larger (thicker) ones.

The metal filters you can clean. I use these for a long time with out replacing. Maybe skip those.

Rubber seals around the solder waste tube need replaced after a good bit of use. The fill tube itself needs replaced after a bit of use as well, you can clean it out pretty well though.

1 year later
    #18 7 years ago
    Quoted from brandon1232:

I am considering purchasing the Hakko FR300. But I have a few questions before I make a final decision. I am employed as an electronics tech. I desolder/solder using a Hakko iron & wick (hate it). Unfortunately, company will not invest in desoldering station. I do alot of thru-hole soldering of caps. I desolder & solder about 50 to 75 electrolytic caps daily on multi-layer boards (4-5). The ground planes are esp. a pain. My concern is can the FR300 handle that of kind of a daily workload (w/proper maintenance)? I tried an Aoyue 8800 once but had problems with the heating element and the tips would frequently scratch the traces in proximity to the caps. I prefer to survey the opinion of actual users than a seller before I make a decision. Anyway what do you think based on your experience with the FR300?

I do PCB rework about every single day using my FR300. Usually do rework about 3-4 hours a day, sometimes 12 hour marathon sessions on the weekends. A Bally MPU has 275+ through holes at least to be desoldered when rebuilding and I sometimes get more than one done in a day. I say it holds up really well. With daily use, be prepared to rebuild the pump about once a year, maybe more (tubes, gaskets, suction cup, etc). The tips last 6 months or so with daily use. Maybe more. I sometimes drill out the smaller ones into bigger ones for some extra light use.

Get lots of paper filters, those go fast. Get extra solder catch tubes and the prefilter (i replace the prefilter with the tube). Cleaning drill is mandatory for 1.0mm tips. You can poke clean the 1.3mm and 1.6mm tip OK without a drill.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from brandon1232:

Thanks for all of the info. it seems like you use your FR300 more than I will be using it. It is good to know what I am getting into. I guess I will have to order the maintenance supplies from Hakko...esp. catch tubes, prefilter, gaskets, suction cup etc... But my employer will probably purchase them for me, depending on improved efficiency and production. Once again thanks for the info and speedy reply.

When you buy the Gun, get a 1.6mm tip (comes with 1.0m), extra paper filters, and the 1.0mm drill +holder. Then by the maintenance items as you think you need it. That is my recommendation.

HAKKKO USA ships supplies for free.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-the-hakko-fr-300-what-accessories-to-get?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.