(Topic ID: 252882)

Considering selling MET pro for GB - thoughts for / against?

By Tahitiansea

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I sell MET pro to buy GB pro?”

• Sell MET / Buy GB 39 votes
    31%
  • Keep MET 87 votes
    69%

(126 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
IMG_20190702_195043852 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I’ve put in about 25 games on the new GB code and really enjoyed it. I have always loved the artwork / theme / layout of GB and now I feel the code is in a good place and a lot more enjoyable. I have owned MET pro for a few months as well. I own IMDN and currently have 2 music pins in my collection. Been thinking about selling MET to pick up a GB pro and I go back and forth about it. Just wanted to see what folks thought? I like to look at the for / against arguments when making decisions and figured there may be some things I had not considered. I am just comparing the pro versions of each machine and don’t really have the option to just add a pin without selling one at this time.

#2 4 years ago

Sounds like you haven't had Metallica very long. Unless you don't like it or are tired of it, I'd keep it awhile longer. GB pro will be readily available anytime. Either way, both are awesome games. I don't know if I could ever sell my Metallica though.

#3 4 years ago

No. Nope. Nine. Ney.

#4 4 years ago

I owned a Met Pro for a while and eventually it was time to sell it for another game to play. I prefer mode based games and eventually grew bored with Met gameplay. The ability to use Pinbrowser to change the songs made it last longer than otherwise because I had fun doing that. I didn’t like having to pick a single song that played for an entire game though. Much preferred how Mustang handled songs, but that was mode based and each mode had a song.

Very easy to buy Met again if you change your mind too.

Have fun!

#6 4 years ago

I wouldn't.

#7 4 years ago

Just added a poll.

#8 4 years ago

Sell IMDN and buy TNA, then save up and buy a Premium/LE Ghostbusters.

Keep Metallica

#9 4 years ago

Nope dont do it

#10 4 years ago

Don’t do it. I understand changing things up but I think there are better games than GB. JP or DP for example.

#11 4 years ago

Nope.
GB isn’t suddenly Lyman/Borg great with some code.
Enjoy on location, keep MET.

#12 4 years ago

GB has a lot more issues than just code; MET is a much much much better game.

MUCH

EDIT: And then if we're talking proi model add a couple more "muchs" in there

#13 4 years ago

Met is a far superior game....yes GB just released new code (I haven't played), but code can't help a poorly designed game...its probably one of Sterns best "world under glass" games, but its a shitty design....

#14 4 years ago

Unless you’re tired of Metallica I wouldn’t do it. I think Metallica is the better game.

#15 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. I love the theme and artwork on GB and the new code is pretty dang fun. I didn’t buy it in the past due to the different layout and the code but it has grown on me the more I play it. I hate the thought of selling any of the games I currently have but would love to add GB. DP is a different layout and I love it so GB may continue to grow on me. 75% say keep MET and that is tough to ignore.

#16 4 years ago

I owned a Metallica Pro, sold it, now a few years later have a Ghostbusters Premium. Metallica is a great pin but I'm not a fan of the ruleset. I prefer objective based rulesets that work the playfield with mini wizard and super wizard modes. Metallica often felt like chopping wood in terms of the modes mostly centering around hitting the same shots over and over again. Hitting the snake or captive ball shots over and over again got old quick. The Crank it Up modes do work the playfield but they are hidden behind a bunch of bash style modes. I feel very similar about ACDC, just not a fan of either ruleset. GB however is all about objective based modes that work the entire playfield in interesting ways which is what I prefer.

I may still pick Metallica Pro over GB pro but would pick GB premium over any Metalica model. GB is one of Stern's most loaded pins to date, and the new code makes it have an extremely deep and unique objective based ruleset.

The people that bash on GB tend to hate the playfield layout. I think it's one of Stern's best as it's the complete opposite of a fan layout. Unlike most pins, and nearly all Stern's, GB actually utilizes the entire playfield space well including the mid and lower areas with the 3x captive ball and 2 scoops (or saucer on pro).

#17 4 years ago

Met
All the way. Gb is unique but met is better as a fun factor game.

#18 4 years ago

I like both!

IMG_20190702_195043852 (resized).jpgIMG_20190702_195043852 (resized).jpg
#19 4 years ago

I am a fan of metallica music, but the same songs over and over got me to sell my machine. I do not miss it. It is a good game, but not one I will buy again. Ghost busters is ?? Depends on your taste.

#20 4 years ago

Metallica > GB

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. I love the theme and artwork on GB and the new code is pretty dang fun. I didn’t buy it in the past due to the different layout and the code but it has grown on me the more I play it. I hate the thought of selling any of the games I currently have but would love to add GB. DP is a different layout and I love it so GB may continue to grow on me. 75% say keep MET and that is tough to ignore.

Sounds like you will be happy with GB. Get GB.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I like both![quoted image]

Would love to pick up both if I could. Those both look amazing!

#23 4 years ago

Keep MET.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I owned a Metallica Pro, sold it, now a few years later have a Ghostbusters Premium. Metallica is a great pin but I'm not a fan of the ruleset. I prefer objective based rulesets that work the playfield with mini wizard and super wizard modes. Metallica often felt like chopping wood in terms of the modes mostly centering around hitting the same shots over and over again. Hitting the snake or captive ball shots over and over again got old quick. The Crank it Up modes do work the playfield but they are hidden behind a bunch of bash style modes. I feel very similar about ACDC, just not a fan of either ruleset. GB however is all about objective based modes that work the entire playfield in interesting ways which is what I prefer.
I may still pick Metallica Pro over GB pro but would pick GB premium over any Metalica model. GB is one of Stern's most loaded pins to date, and the new code makes it have an extremely deep and unique objective based ruleset.
The people that bash on GB tend to hate the playfield layout. I think it's one of Stern's best as it's the complete opposite of a fan layout. Unlike most pins, and nearly all Stern's, GB actually utilizes the entire playfield space well including the mid and lower areas with the 3x captive ball and 2 scoops (or saucer on pro).

I think that is what makes me want to sell it. I really enjoy the mode based games and bashing the same shots does get a bit old. I completed the 4 crank it up modes and was close to starting EotL after about 1 month of owning it. This is a tough one

#25 4 years ago

I prefer MET but I say go for it. One of the great things about this hobby is rotating games in and out. If you feel the itch down the road to get MET back, all you have to do is find one for sale which is pretty easy.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I like both![quoted image]

Me too!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#27 4 years ago

I’ll go against the grain and say grab GB. They made a metric shit ton of Met. If you want to switch down the road, you won’t have a problem. Life is short!

#28 4 years ago

FYI - you're going to get a lot of "Keep MET" from people that have no idea what the new code is like on GB.

#29 4 years ago

Metallica might be the better game but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t change it up if you like GB. I would do it.
If you want to get Met back; sell GB, buy met.
Repeat if necessary.

#30 4 years ago

I voted for MET in the poll because I think it's a better game although I do like GB very much. I would like to get a GB myself.
Personally I would never sell my Met to get a GB but as a few said. Looks like you really want the GB so would go a head and do it. If you miss your Met then sell GB or something else to get another one.

#31 4 years ago

Only prob with selling yr good met, is finding as good of replacement later if you change yr mind. Lots of met out there, most seem to need something. I'd keep met, GB are not too hard to come by

#32 4 years ago

I owned Metallica pro for a while and played the heck out of it and moved it on. I have not once missed it since I moved it on. The game play became repetitive and to get to the crank it up modes just felt like chopping wood. I like mode based games and GB nails this type of game play. I also like GB the movie so the sounds and call outs really help. The light show is way better on GB and the shots are satisfying(premium). GB’s wizard modes(and mini)are super fun. I’m not really one for art but GB’s art is pretty cool. For some reason GB gets a lot of hate but ever since I got one I just can’t understand why. If you decide to get GB and can’t get into it Metallica will always be easily available. Good luck with your choice.

#33 4 years ago

I honestly recommend getting more games on GB before deciding. I thought I loved GB at first but the more I played it the more I hated it. I don't think I have ever played a game on GB that didn't feel like I got cheated somehow. Even if I get off a decent game, it just feels like way more work battling bad layout issues than having fun. MET was the opposite. Started out hating it mostly because of theme but liked it more and more as I played it. CIU modes are one of the best things in pinball. I never get tired of playing them. Any game can get old, though. If you don't think you would miss MET and rarely play it, then maybe it's time to change.

#34 4 years ago

I got a good deal on Metallica so that just makes it that much harder to decide. Used pins are hard to come by in my area compared to other major cities so I might have to wait a while for the right deal to pop up on a HUO GB or possibly a trade. I put in about 20 games on JP2 this past week (about 70 overall) and decided to toss a few quarters in GB since the arcade updated the code. I had fun playing JP2 but GB left a big smile on my face. That’s what started this whole mess. Any GB owners have any issues in the last few years of ownership? I work on all my own games and am always curious about this aspect as well in regards to GB.

#35 4 years ago

Hell yes, go for it! I did a similar change with METLE for GB Premium and couldn't be happier. Never got over the "vote for a song" BS that Metallica pulled that replaced the obviously animated Four Horsemen. GB is much more fun and the family and guests (which wouldn't touch METLE) absolutely love it. Not saying METLE isn't great, just for my family, GB is far better.

#36 4 years ago

Metallica is a great game, in a different way than GB. Without getting into too much detail, if I had the two in my collection and one had to go, MET would be it.

The new code on GB is refreshing! This is my second round of ownership with gb. It’s stayin for good.

#37 4 years ago

If I had had a MetPro instead of METLE, I might have kept it. For another month.

Playing GB when it was new I was impressed with the layout and shots, but not my theme. The bold flipper gap impressed me.

#38 4 years ago

If you've had MET for a while and find yourself not playing it much, switch it up. Always fun to freshen things up.

#39 4 years ago

Maybe Stern will make some more GB, I’d love a premium.

#40 4 years ago

Played Met Pro at a friend's house tonight for the first time since I owned one a couple years ago. I made the right decision to move on, don't miss it at all.

#41 4 years ago

I have often considered that maybe an early non LED MET might be the way to go, but like you I also moved on.

#43 4 years ago

In the last 25 years I have only sold one game, and it was GB pro. I purchased it NIB and it did have 1746 plays on it when I sold it.

The game can be fun, but can also be not so fun. Hell one game may last 5 minutes, then the next game you get 5 extra balls and all kinds of stuff.

Totally out there, but the reason this game was no longer wanted to be played by me or my girlfriend was because we had a damn awesome dog adopted from the pound...best dog I ever had, and every time the game said "ok, who brought the dog"? he would show up and we would laugh. At only 3 years old a coyote got into my fenced in yard and killed him. Very damn sad. But also my gf took all that a whole lot worse than I did, and you know what happens if you don't keep a gf in a good mood...so GB was the hell out of here!

I like ramps on pins, and to me MET just feels so awesome, best feeling ramps on any game. And Sparky is just too damn funny. The first time we ever had the Sparky MB the game said "Fry That Mother f____er".

But, with all that said, like others here have said, there most likely will never be a shortage of used MET or GB for sale, so you can buy and sell and go back and forth. And hell, Stern will probably someday do new VE editions of both also if you want NIB.

And maybe by the time they do a VE all the playfield pooling and chipping issues will be cleared up.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I like ramps on pins, and to me MET just feels so awesome, best feeling ramps on any game.

I bought a Demolition Man a week ago. I'd have to strongly disagree with that statement.

#45 4 years ago

Thanks for all the great feedback. Just been getting the “new pin” bug. Lots of good stuff out lately and had written off GB til I played the new code. It’s pretty much 70-30 to keep MET in the poll. Curious who has played the new code already and has feedback regarding likes / dislikes.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

Just been getting the “new pin” bug.

I have had that bug for most of my life..

Quoted from Tahitiansea:

Curious who has played the new code already and has feedback regarding likes / dislikes.

Maybe time for you to start a new poll?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 103.00
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-selling-met-pro-for-gb-thoughts-for-against?hl=tahitiansea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.