Considering making an offer on 6 pinball machines at once...help

By neelfryer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

hello everyone -- newbie here -- i joined the forum today -- i have been collecting "stuff" for years -- old cars -- baseball cards etc.

i have always wanted a pinball machine or 10

and i am in my small home town on the east coast for the holidays -- and combing lots of e-bay and c-list and back page and many random searches on the web ... i fond something interesting

here is the ad...

Wipeout needs some work $1000.00 or best
Jurrassic Park needs some work $1000.00 or best
Baywatch needs some work $1000.00 or best
Judge Dredd works great $2500.00 or best
Tales from the Crypt works great $2600.00 or best
Waterworld works great $2300.00 or best
Checkpoint needs some work $1000.00 or best

Cash only.... as is... may consider discount if buying multiple. All machines are in great condition.

#2 9 years ago

I have finally made contact with the seller thru e-mail and i am hopefully gonna go see the machines on 12/24

I of course will see the condition first hand and playability etc.

But i have no way of gauging how much work these machines that "need some work" are gonna need

I am crazy enough to try to buy them all on the spot and sort it all out later

I would like then to figure out what you guys think would be an opening offer

now I know you will all jump on me and say "how do you possibly expect us to give you a decent fair market appraisal if we can see the games and watch their action?!"

well -- i have seen photos and they all present well in the pics

i will put my hands on them and be able to get an idea

but i guess maybe i'm asking for you guys to tell me if you think

"based on the descriptions and him telling me he's seen the pictures and they present clean and nice...if i had to i would venture 6 grand sight unseen and know i can't get hurt ..."

#3 9 years ago

I think I am more concerned that you're not sure how much work you're getting yourself into.
Will this be for your vacation home? Will you have time to work on them? Or expecting to hire it out?

#4 9 years ago

I kind of think you're a bit crazy to jump into that many project pins just starting out. May be better to get your feet wet first so you have a better idea of what you're getting into before buying a big lot like this. Parts are expensive and sometimes hard or even impossible to find. A player and a project would be the safer bet to learn and enjoy.

#5 9 years ago

Assuming they dont need too much work, most of those arent bad priced. Waterworld and checkpoint are much too much. Wipeout should be 800 bucks. The rest seem pretty fair.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

I kind of think you're a bit crazy to jump into that many project pins just starting out. May be better to get your feet wet first so you have a better idea of what you're getting into before buying a big lot like this. Parts are expensive and sometimes hard or even impossible to find. A player and a project would be the safer bet to learn and enjoy.

Agree totally!!!

#7 9 years ago

7k for the lot?

#8 9 years ago

At least buy waterworld...

#9 9 years ago

Don't buy non-working pinball machines unless you have confidence you can fix them.

Honestly, do a deal on the two working ones (Dredd and Tales are good games) and leave the others for someone else.

Going by the prices that those pins sell for on Pinside, 1500-2000 per each would be about right unless they are exceptional condition. The problem is, unless you know what to look for, you won't know if they are great or not.

The other thing to note, is if these pins were a bargain, they would already be sold within 1 hour of hitting Craigslist. The fact they haven't sold raises a red flag. You didn't say what area you are in, but if you read through Pinside, bargain pins on Craigslist are generally sold within minutes.

Good luck with it.

rd.

#10 9 years ago

You say they present well in the pics, but I just saw the ad and there are a lot of displays that are off. In the case of Baywatch, for example, getting it working could be a very expensive (or even impossible) task because of the extra large DMD. Of course, it could be a fuse or something similarly simple -- but you'd think he would have tried the easy fixes. Or maybe he doesn't know he should take pics with the display on. But I doubt it.

Good luck.

#11 9 years ago

Part them all out ..... LOL

#12 9 years ago

You're crazy. BUT...everyone on here is a little crazy. A few things throw up red flags.

Some "need work" but all are in great condition. You can't have it both ways.

I'm guessing you didn't drive a car capable of hauling six pins home, and depending on the length of the drive, a lot of things can break on the way. Weather on the east coast is a little freaky this time of year, so you'll probably be driving a larger, much heavier vehicle on potentially icy roads with an expensive and fragile payload that given your lack of experience, may not be secured properly.

I disagree with the argument that you shouldn't buy pins you aren't confident to fix, but don't buy EXPENSIVE pins you don't know how to fix. Buy a beater and learn on it.

But if you've got the money and the space, and have the money to hire someone to haul and fix them, I say go flippin nuts. You can't take it with you.

Once you get a little more familiar with the pinball community, you'll figure out not to post deals on here until you've picked the pin up because there are those who will try to beat you to the punch.

Lastly don't go alone carrying that kind of cash.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

At least buy Waterworld...

To save it from the dump?

#14 9 years ago

i have been trying to buy these for 3 weeks , he doesnt return emails , i think they are long gone. i offered asking price.

#15 9 years ago

Go play them and buy 1 or 2 maybe 3 of the ones you like best and need the littlest work. Look at the 3 aa batteries in back box for leakage probably don't want board repairs to start. To me judge dread and tales are $2000 each when working. Jurassic for $1000 sounds good unless totally beat. The other 4 I would pass on unless a lot cheaper.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

To save it from the dump?

Ha Ha..... I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I even mumbled "to save it from the dump" That's good

#17 9 years ago

My first big deal was a 6 pack of project pins. Do what I did, find a capable local tech, have him help you make the deal and fix the machines. Let him keep one, you keep a few, and sell the rest that you guys don't want.

#18 9 years ago

For your sake, I hope he never calls you.

Quoted from Astill:

i have been trying to buy these for 3 weeks , he doesnt return emails , i think they are long gone. i offered asking price.

#20 9 years ago

Buying projects without the knowledge to fix , this will be a very short hobby. Walk away and find help
from someone near you that collects.

#21 9 years ago

pretty much impossible to tell from those descriptions what you're getting into, but I would stay away. H2OW for 2300 is INSANITYYYYYYYYY

JD price seems more or less on point, but it would have to be as described and taken as a whole...I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

#22 9 years ago

Im about 1.5 hours away from the seller and didnt bother to make the drive after going back and forth with him. He wouldnt elaborate on the pins that needed work but he did say they wont turn on. God knows what that means. 2 big red flags: 1 - the ad has been up for something like 6 weeks now 2- the seller lists the good shape ones high or slightly higher than what they are worth but the project ones way below. That means he probably knows there is a serious issue with them. Could be flooding or boards missing who knows. Not a whole lot of guys own 5+ C list pins and can't at least diagnose them . I didnt sit right with me so I didnt even bother and I normally drive 3-4 hours one way for everything i pick up. Be cautious.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-making-an-offer-on-6-pinball-machines-at-oncehelp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.