Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by Pinfidel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 months ago

I'm relatively new to pinball. Making things makes me sane amidst a stressful job, so have been playing pretty heavily for the past few months and starting work on a homebrew machine as well (cabinet is nearly done, and have drawn out an initial design for playfield). My two sons, ages 9 and 11, have been jumping in as well, helping on both research/ideas for the homebrew and coming with me to play at our local vintage arcade bar.

In any case, the three of us have been starting the family discussion about buying our first machine. My wife enjoys playing (particularly since she really doesn't like video games), and is open to the idea, but struggling to justify the cash it'd take. In other things, she's motivated by deals, but we've been trying to help her understand that anything that appears too good to be true probably is. Thus far, I think we've gotten her to understand that, as well as the risk of not buying something we've actually touched to make sure it's in decent condition.

My older son and I have really come to love the Foo Fighters (Pro) machine in our local bar, and have been pushing for that (NIB) to be the first purchase, or some other recent Stern pro model. She's been looking around online, and has recently been pushing one of Stern's home models (either Jurassic Park (Home Edition) or #star-wars-home-edition), so I'm looking for good descriptions/arguments as to the difference between home/pro and why it'd be better to look at pro models. The build quality is certainly one issue, but I'm also thinking about resale/trade value in the future.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? TIA.

#2 12 months ago

What ever the convincing factor is remember it well ... once there is one in the house, shortly there will be another to keep it company.

I would use resell potential...
    Easier to move a pro on later if you want to sell the game, the $ between home and pro isn't vast and will be in your favor when selling or trading down the road .

#3 12 months ago

You should be able to get a Foo Fighters Pro for $7K shipped to your door which is a bargain in the current pin market. Pro models are the best buy in pinball and hold their value better than the Home model pins. They also have much deeper code and are in greater demand if you decide to sell the game later on. They are also much more common. If there's an issue in a home model game it may not be as easy to find a fix. As long as you can afford it I would go for the Foo Pro and don't look back. You'll be happy you did!

#4 12 months ago

Agree with the thought that for you, sounds like what happens to it down the road should be a primary consideration. In a one pin house, no matter how much you love it now, there will come a day where it just doesn’t get played that much anymore. At that point you decide whether you’re going to get more or swap it out for something else. If you’re totally convinced that you’ll never, ever have room for more than one, then get something that you like, but will give you the best opportunity and options to roll it into something else when that day comes.

#5 12 months ago

Pro 100%

#6 12 months ago

The best home edition to date of the bunch, by far, is JP Home. Not only does it have the best layout and an actual toy, but it has the best code as well… but even then it’s a bit thin.

JP Home is probably a good game for the kids because of the easier rules, but it’s a $5k game that instantly becomes a $4k game once you open the box. Any damage that happens to the game will tank the value because the buyer pool who want a 2nd hand Home edition is already super small. Just easier to buy a new one themselves if your sell price isn’t stupid low. A SM Home is now pending at $2800, and 3 used JP Homes in 2023 all appear to have prices in the mid $3K range.

Meanwhile a Pro holds most of its value. Some were duds and sell $1k less than NIB price (Mando, TMNT, LZ) but if you’re looking at FF Pro, I highly doubt that will be the case. The Pro package is very well received by all. The never ending Stern Price increases typically mean if you buy NIB and play it a year or two, (ignoring inflation) you’re typically selling at $200-300 less than what you paid, sometimes breaking even… sometimes making a few bucks.

The extra $2k is worth the jump if resale value is a concern. But with that, you also get better build quality, deeper code (so you won’t get as bored as quick), a better layout, and a screen that doesn’t require a magnifying glass to read.

#7 12 months ago

Resale value and market for sure. Smaller market of buyers on a home game. A pro could actually gain a little value. Also more bang for your buck.

#8 12 months ago

Definitely get a pro vs the home version. There's so much more in a pro. It's a far better value, esp in the build quality. Mho

The best thing to say to your wife about pinball is what I still tell mine.

"Honey, it's not like buying a stereo or TV, where once you spend that money, it's gone and you have it till it breaks. Pins hold their value. Some even go up in price. The most important thing is that, we can buy a pin, play it for a year or 2 and then sell it for around what we paid for it, buy another one and do the same thing again. The money is still there in the machine. If we play it for a year and it loses $1,000 in value...so what! Look at all the fun we had and great memories we made with the kids. $1,000 barely pays for a weekend getaway."

That is literally how I sold my wife on letting me get into the pinball hobby and what I still say to her when I want to buy a new pin.

At first, she thought that once you spent all this money on this big machine, that that was it. The money's gone and you're forever stuck with this big hulking room eater. We now have 9 machines and have had 15 (I believe) overall. And, we are the co-founders of Pintastic New England. I still can't believe I talked her into that. But that's how far she came along over the years.

Trust me, if I sold my wife, you can sell yours, especially because she actually likes pinball.

My strong suggestion... Go as a family together to play some pinball. She may hate the Foo Fighters machine, and you don't want that. You want to find a machine that everyone will enjoy. So make sure your wife likes the game too.

GL brother and welcome to this awesome hobby. It will bring your family and friends together in a way like nothing else will. Oh...and GL with your homebrew. That's awesome! Be sure to post it up in a new thread when you're done. Or start one soon, that you update with pics and progress. People love that and will chime in with great suggestions along the way as well.

#9 12 months ago

Depending on how quick you want to purchase, consider a weekend in ATL for SFGE - a great pinball and gaming convention in late July. It's what I used to introduce my wife to the hobby. Free Play Florida is in November I think.

She'll also be able to see and play a lot of games and you'll learn what you both like.

There are plenty of used games I'd recommend before buying a home version if she doesn't want to spring for 7 large. Maybe you can find one there or at least know what to look for. I guarantee she'd be more open to a NIB Pro down the road if there is already a less expensive one in the house and everyone is playing it.

#10 12 months ago

This: you’re not spending $7k. You’re putting into an asset that can be liquidated again if you need the money or want a different machine. It’s likely to hold its value (especially if you get an a-list game like FF) or appreciate modestly at 2-4% apy. So it’s really like putting the $ in a high yield savings account.

(Before I get beat up by “pins aren’t investments” crowd, this is the historical trend for 25 years. No guarantees but this really is a very likely scenario).

#11 12 months ago

When you eventually get bored of the title, the pro will be much easier to trade toward another pro or similar game. You’re likely going to be stuck with the home edition or have to take a huge hit when selling it.

#12 12 months ago

As an owner of a JDJP I would recommend getting Foo Pro if this is going to be a one pin household. Jack Danger did a great job designing both pins, but Foo is much deeper. JDJP is still a fun game, but you'll likely get bored of it faster if it's your only pin. Mine still gets daily play, but I also have 14 other pins that I can switch between. If you go the JDJP route try to pick up a used one - that way someone else can take the 1k depreciation hit instead of you.

#13 12 months ago

Since you mentioned homebrew what better time to really learn how pinball machines work. Get an older DMD for half the price! Yes it will need something fixed probably right out of the gate. And the theme would not have been your first choice. But the journey is just beginning not at the end. Meeting other enthusiasts in your area is just a bonus…

#14 12 months ago

The way to get a Pro is to say you're getting a Premium and let her talk you down to a Pro. Oldest negotiation trick in history but it works.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

consider a weekend in ATL for SFGE - a great pinball and gaming convention in late July.

You lost me at Atlanta in July...

#15 12 months ago

As others have mentioned, the Pro will retain its value, the Home edition will not. You put in 7k for a Pro, you'll get most of that back if you decide to sell or trade. Really simple as that. I would imagine it is much harder to unload a Home Edition, as the market is much smaller for it, and you will lose value from NIB as well.

Show your wife what an NIB costs, then show her the same game in the marketplace. Really easy to see the numbers that way.

#16 12 months ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

You lost me at Atlanta in July...

Well, He's in Jax, so technically going north in the summer. And the Hotel/convention hall is air conditioned, so no need to go outside and sweat.

#17 12 months ago

Foo Fighters Pro!

#19 12 months ago

The pro Foo Fighters is cheaper.

Let me explain. That Jurassic Park home should cost about $5,000 new, but will only sell for about $4,000 when you are done with it second hand. Foo Fighters sells for $7,000 new, and should sell for around $6,500 in a year. As the price of new Stern Pros continues to rise, the price of used Foo Fighters will roughly follow. $500 to play a Foo Fighters for a year is not bad at all. On top of that there are what... 30 ish Spick 2 pins (Stern games with LCDs in them). You could play Foo Fighters for a year and then trade it to another collector for a Deadpool and then trade that Deadpool for a Godzilla and have a new pin to play every 6 months for some time. Thats more or less what I do. Other people will tell you about gameplay and other considerations. Almost no one in this hobby that is shopping around gets one and keeps that one and only that one pin forever. Good luck!

If you do go home edition, go JP home over SW pro. I've played both and JP home is much more fun.

#20 12 months ago

The trick is to go back in time and get your wife interested enough that she likes playing and is open to the idea but not so much that she goes online and discovers there are Home pins.

#21 12 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

This: you’re not spending $7k. You’re putting into an asset that can be liquidated again if you need the money or want a different machine. It’s likely to hold its value (especially if you get an a-list game like FF) or appreciate modestly at 2-4% apy. So it’s really like putting the $ in a high yield savings account.

I came here to say this to a point. NIB games do not tend to hold full value right out of the gate, especially pros. Any used pro of nearly any model is worth less than a NIB, even one with free shipping and no taxes, but only by a few hundred bucks.

The liquidation part is true for any game. If you spend 7k on a pro, you will still have nearly all of that money at the ready if you need/want to sell the game. So it's not "spending 7k on a game", it's "putting nearly all the 7k aside to use later".

FF Pro is awesome and life is short. If you can afford to put 7k towards a game temporarily in your lives for some wholesome family enjoyment, and you can get nearly all that money back when you're done with it, why not do it? FF also has co-op mode I believe, so you can play with each other, not against each other.

The first pin NIB experience as a family will be like no other. Take pictures and/or a video. You're going to enjoy it.

#22 12 months ago

I've seen so many games $4K and under I'd much rather have than a Stern home edition:

Judge Dredd, T2, Demolition Man, NBA Fastbreak, Nascar, Pinbot, Taxi, Cyclone, Frankenstein, Lethal Weapon 3, Stargate...

I just think someone that's into pinball enough to build their own homebrew machine would really get bored and be dissapointed with a home pin, it's a lot of scratch for a bare playfield imo... Do what it takes to get the Pro if that's the choices you're limiting yourself to.

#23 12 months ago

Stay far way from home pins as they are toys and parts are difficult to obtain. There is an issue with shooter rods when they break they cannot be easily replaced as they are not standard and there is no button to auto launch ball. In addition you are far better off avoiding FOMO and buy a used pro off route and save 1.5-2k. Look for a turtles, star wars or mado pro for much less than 7k and your kids will have just as much fun on them as they would a new foo. In 1-2 years you will be able to pick up a foo and loose little value on the pro you bought from 2 years ago.... Patience is a virtue on pinball purchases....

#24 12 months ago

Let me raise my hand as the dissenting voice here: If she's not sure, or IF any of them would appreciate a simpler layout and ruleset, get the Home Pin. They're available for far below the MSRP (contact Mad Pinball directly) and can be more fun for people who don't want to get into deep rules. Also, it makes for a great gateway drug...I mean, pin. As others have said, having only one pin is rare...usually more follow.

If there's a dream theme out there (FF?), then let that guide you too. I'm confident after putting decent time on both that if a casual/inexperienced player needed to choose (for example) between a JP Home or Pro, they'd often choose the Home. You might not. I might not. But IF you're buying it for them, it's something to consider.

#25 12 months ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

I've seen so many games $4K and under I'd much rather have than a Stern home edition:
    Judge Dredd, T2, Demolition Man, NBA Fastbreak, Nascar, Pinbot, Taxi, Cyclone, Frankenstein, Lethal Weapon 3, Stargate...
    I just think someone that's into pinball enough to build their own homebrew machine would really get bored and be dissapointed with a home pin, it's a lot of scratch for a bare playfield imo... Do what it takes to get the Pro if that's the choices you're limiting yourself to.

It's more difficult in today's day and age as the floor prices have risen so much, but I'd still agree with this that an older used pin would probably be the ideal first step into the hobby. If there's any consideration that NIB will be an "easier" first ownership experience as far as how many times you'll have the glass off / "I have a warranty", I'd throw that out as it's not unusual for adjustments and problems on NIB and warranty or not you'll be doing the diagnosing and labor.

#26 12 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

On top of that there are what... 30 ish Spick 2 pins (Stern games with LCDs in them).

Just for completeness - Foo is the 20th Stern LCD, counting the premium-only releases (Beatles, B66, Elvira) but not the private specialty ones (Primus, Heavy Metal, Escape from the Megaverse, Bond 60th.)

#27 12 months ago

You newbs are doing this wrong.

1. Tell her real pinball machines have coin mechs. Used market buyers want real pinball.
    2. Show her the premium video with the dead post and upper playfield. Act like you are obsessed with the premium. You must have it despite cost.
    3. Continue step 2 until you have a small fight and profanities and exchanged with some light crying.
    4. Let her cool off and then say “honey I don’t want to see you upset, let’s get the Pro”.
    5. Order pinball machine and then do rigorous make-up sex.

#28 12 months ago

This Avengers infinity Pro is for sale reasonably in Florida. 5,500 Might be a good bargain for your first pin. https://villagebbs.com/forum/index.php?topic=49611.0

#29 12 months ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

This Avengers infinity Pro is for sale reasonably in Florida. 5,500 Might be a good bargain for your first pin. https://villagebbs.com/forum/index.php?topic=49611.0

AIQ to me is a great bargain entry currently.

If my wife's response (and the greater public's response / why it is a great bargain now) is any indication, your family may rage quit pinball within a week. But good game for the $$!

#30 12 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Well, He's in Jax, so technically going north in the summer. And the Hotel/convention hall is air conditioned, so no need to go outside and sweat.

Yeah, the heat is for us game-bringers to worry about. I lose 5 pounds every year during SFGE.

#31 12 months ago

The only plus to getting a home edition over a pro model is the price. It's $2k less. However, as others have said the home edition won't maintain it's value. That $2k "savings" can easily be lost with the home edition but the pro price will have less depreciation short term and possibly increase in value long term.

For Foo Fighters pro don't be surprised if the HUO used resale price drops to the $6300 - $6800 price range in the short term, that's normal. However, once a game goes out of production is when you will see value increase. This may take a few years but if the game is well received it happens every time. Look at Stranger Things for example.

#32 12 months ago

I echo everyone saying go out and play a bunch of games with your family to see what wins the popular vote. Foo Pro is a great game but depending on choice of distributor, you may have to wait a little bit to get one, if timing matters at all. Buying a HUO Pro is one of the best ways to get a basically new (often with mods) for less than NIB prices. People are always selling a game with 500 plays to move on to the new hotness.

And if you're already tinkering with homebrews, it sounds like you're okay with repair work. I think System 11 and the middle tier 90's DMDs are a great starting point at $3000-4500 bucks for some decent and fun titles. You've broken the seal on pinball sticker shot and when your family realizes one is fun but two is better ...BAM. A $6400 used stern pro doesn't feel so bad. And now you've got games for trade/sale when someone sells their modded Foo Pro to pay for their Premium. New Stern games are great for all they have, but they are EVERYWHERE. Don't sleep on the older games if the price is right!

#33 12 months ago

Foo Pro. No question

#34 12 months ago

Pro 100% You should have added a poll and you would see the results. Pro vs. Home.

#35 12 months ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

Though a great price, AIQ Pro is a game for top level players and NOT for new players. OP has a 9 and 11yr old. There are tight shots, and hidden shots. Learning the full set of rules would end around Sophomore year of college.

It can be a very frustrating game and has "evil outlanes" (where the inlane/outlane posts are below the height of the slings). My son was 13 when we got ours and he competes in leagues and tournies. Even with the killer theme, he wanted it gone in less than a year.

I've played 3 different FF Pros on location now and all shoot much more friendly and are easier to start modes and progress. Even getting 1 gem in AIQ is a challenge for many inexperienced players. Great Pro package... ball buster of a game. Not family-friendly as a result.

#36 12 months ago

Just buy what you want and apologize for it later.

#37 12 months ago

Sold many (100s) of pins to first-time pin buyers. Go with a Pro. There are reasons the "Home pin" models don't sell well. You don't have to buy new, get a recent used one if you want a better deal (but don't go around low-balling, it's a sellers market). Also recommend going to a show and seeing what the family likes. Enjoy! Like many things in life, the hunt/process is just as fun as finally having what you want.

#38 12 months ago
    Quoted from TreyInJax:

I'm relatively new to pinball. Making things makes me sane amidst a stressful job, so have been playing pretty heavily for the past few months and starting work on a homebrew machine as well (cabinet is nearly done, and have drawn out an initial design for playfield). My two sons, ages 9 and 11, have been jumping in as well, helping on both research/ideas for the homebrew and coming with me to play at our local vintage arcade bar.
    In any case, the three of us have been starting the family discussion about buying our first machine. My wife enjoys playing (particularly since she really doesn't like video games), and is open to the idea, but struggling to justify the cash it'd take. In other things, she's motivated by deals, but we've been trying to help her understand that anything that appears too good to be true probably is. Thus far, I think we've gotten her to understand that, as well as the risk of not buying something we've actually touched to make sure it's in decent condition.
    My older son and I have really come to love the Foo Fighters (Pro) machine in our local bar, and have been pushing for that (NIB) to be the first purchase, or some other recent Stern pro model. She's been looking around online, and has recently been pushing one of Stern's home models (either Jurassic Park (Home Edition) or #star-wars-home-edition), so I'm looking for good descriptions/arguments as to the difference between home/pro and why it'd be better to look at pro models. The build quality is certainly one issue, but I'm also thinking about resale/trade value in the future.
    Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? TIA.

If $ is on her mind just tell her that stern Pros hold their value and home models don’t.

It’s not only a good argument, it’s actually true.

#39 12 months ago

The only reason I'd EVER even consider a Home edition would be for a kids room. Why buy Guitar Hero when for $2K more you get an actual guitar?

#40 12 months ago

Surprise them with the Foo Pro.
    Have it delivered without any further discussions.
    All will be thrilled.

#41 12 months ago

IF $$ is an issue, find a nice used system 11
    great games and should be 1/2 the price of a NIB pro

#42 12 months ago

Agree with previous posters. If you want to test the waters with something a little cheaper get a used 90s-2000s pin for 3500 to 4500. Otherwise get the pro. I wouldn’t even consider the home edition.

#43 12 months ago

I just don’t think this is the right candidate to be trying to talk into buying a 30 year old game.

Wife won’t be happy when it breaks after 2 weeks.

Buy a new or very recently used stern pro. It’s really the best option here, and it’s obviously what the OP wants.

And when the kids go off to college it can probably be sold for more than you paid for it. Ask anybody who bought a NIB stern pro 10-20 years ago.

#44 12 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just don’t think this is the right candidate to be trying to talk into buying a 30 year old game.
    Buy a new or very recently used stern pro. It’s really the best option here.

Think how happy the wife will be when the NIB breaks after 2 weeks

#45 12 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He's working on a homebrew machine, if he can't handle the issues of a 30 year old machine he may as well give up now.

#46 12 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Buy a new or very recently used stern pro. It’s really the best option here, and it’s obviously what the OP wants.
    And when the kids go off to college it can probably be sold for more than you paid for it. Ask anybody who bought a NIB stern pro 20 years ago.

Yep, Stern pins follow the bathtub failure curve. If a Stern doesn’t have issues after the first few months, it will likely last another 10-20 years without any problems at all, especially in a home setting. I love my older pins, but they take up 90% of my pin maintenance time.

#47 12 months ago
    Quoted from blizz81:

Think how happy the wife will be when the NIB breaks after 2 weeks

What does break mean though? A loose wire, the CPU melting, a ball getting stuck? Most issues are rather basic and more major issues can be warrantied with Stern (at least early on while still under warranty).

I recently sold a full size virtual pinball machine. The buyer saw all my real pins and said "There's no way I would own one of those, too many issues to fix". I stayed silent and thought to myself "There's been less issues with the real pins then the virtual one" lol.

#48 12 months ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

He's working on a homebrew machine, if he can't handle the issues of a 30 year old machine he may as well give up now.

“Relatively new to pinball” trumps “starting work on a homebrew”.

#49 12 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What does break mean though? A loose wire, the CPU melting, a ball getting stuck? Most issues are rather basic and more major issues can be warrantied with Stern (at least early on while still under warranty).
    I recently sold a full size virtual pinball machine. The buyer saw all my real pins and said "There's no way I would own one of those, too many issues to fix". I stayed silent and thought to myself "There's been less issues with the real pins then the virtual one" lol.

On my Dec 2021 NIB STh, within 100 plays I had:

- Demogorgon disassembly / remove spacers / loosen wire bundle in back (adjustment, but pretty necessary to gameplay and almost a 100% chance a used machine would have had it done)
    - clear chipping at right post under demogorgon (if you don't know what to expect or aren't sniffing it down the moment you see a tiny piece of clear on the PF, this could go unnoticed / get worse, I saw it right away and mylar'd it)
    - broken wire on left spinner switch - had to diagnose, de-pin wire from both connectors, run new wire + crimp pins on
    - left ramp almost immediately being gouged by ball guide - wrapped in metal foil tape to mitigate
    - left ramp connectors were swapped and for whatever reason I remember it wasn't as easy as simply swapping the connectors under the PF like you can usually do? I think they were pinned wrong at the connector color-wise vs. the manual - used a tool to de-pin and swap at the connector
    - flipper issues (coil stops)

My first two older pins I had (RBION, Demo Man), I don't know if I ever had to make any fixes and I had both for a couple years at least. Maybe a switch adjustment here and there.

Also if OP manages to get a Foo for the first main run of pros coming up (or happens to get one of the relative handful of pros already released), it's pretty young in its lifespan so there will probably be guinea pig fixes to address (spinner, left ramp plastic already on that list). You frequently see people in new owners threads, especially those relatively new to pinball, bemoaning Stern QC and how they "shouldn't have to deal with" any issues they might see on a NIB pin - again, OP is dabbling in a homebrew pin so probably nothing past his skill set but just bringing that up for expectations.

#50 12 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But he’s building a homebrew. Is it even possible to build yet not be able to at least mechanically repair or electronically troubleshoot a used one?

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-first-purchase-advice-to-steer-wife-to-pro-vs-home and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.