Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Eric_S
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Ok, so I’m brain dead sometimes. But I was thinking the area (Fox valley, wi) could use a “small”, I.e. not mgc or expo show. So the purpose of this thread is to 1) solicit information about the how to/ running of said show, 2) determine local interest and regional interest in attending, bringing games, being a vendor. 3) determine if I’m just f’n nuts.
    I have access to a large(for Oshkosh) hall, and have very close contacts in the food/hotel industry that could make this possible on a shoestring. I’m NOT looking to make a penny, this is for fun and good of the hobby and families/friends. I want to keep this cheap so more kids and families could attend, that would otherwise find it difficult to attend mgc, or expo. My target is $10 entry for an all day band, or $25 family pass. It would be pinball, arcade, console, board/card game. Our local university (uwo) had a good turnout recently just for board games, so hoping to tap into that to help with numbers. If I got 100 machines together I’d be happy. I have 13 myself, so it’s a start. For vendors, I’d offer space for free for the first yr. and limit one vendor per type. If I had five total I’d be happy But three is fine. Also I think I can get them free rooms. I want to space it out from other shows and not conflict with other events. Just a small get together, maybe get more people interested in the hobby and attend mgc. We’re prob two yrs out for this to happen, so any input is great.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

3) determine if I’m just f’n nuts.

That remains to be seen.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I’m NOT looking to make a penny,

I'd be more thinking how much you can afford to lose.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

have very close contacts in the food/hotel industry

They may want a guarantee up front.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

If I got 100 machines together I’d be happy.

You actually have them and labor and transportation ? Or paying people to bring in games ?

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I think I can get them free rooms.

You'll be paying for the free.

The country is show heavy now. You'll likely only draw from your area, and the people you need to run it, might be your only attendees.

It is possible. A lot of hard work and investment. Best wishes. I hope you can do it and are successful !

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That remains to be seen.

I'd be more thinking how much you can afford to lose.

They may want a guarantee up front.

You actually have them and labor and transportation ? Or paying people to bring in games ?

You'll be paying for the free.
    The country is show heavy now. You'll likely only draw from your area, and the people you need to run it, might be your only attendees.
    It is possible. A lot of hard work and investment. Best wishes. I hope you can do it and are successful !
    LTG : )

Thanks lloyd, all i know right now is if this thing ever happens it will be through the knowledge of yours and those like you.

I know im likely to cut a check to many people at the end of the show, and im prepared to do that. Obviously id rather it pay for itself. As far as games, i have some and id be relying on others to bring theirs in exchange for entry and other things like dinner, raffle tics, whatever i can do. I can call in some favors and get food on site for nothing up front, just cover labor and actual food cost if it goes south.

I do need to figure out when everybody is dead in town. Empty hotels, no big events here or regionally, should allow me put things in place without too much arm twisting.

Keep it coming, i need to hear all the downsides. Make me understand what i dont know folks! This helps!

#4 4 years ago

You’ll definitely need lots of help. We were very fortunate to have tons of it. My advice would be to do as much research into what it will cost you overall (space, insurance, power, supplies, etc), then try to figure out how many passes you’ll need to sell to break even. Then I’d see if that seems realistic or doable.

Power might be the most important thing you need to make sure is adequate. You don’t want to go through all the hard work of getting 100 games there and have them play poorly due to inadequate power.

#5 4 years ago

Check with ForceFlow , he’s been trying to build the show in Saratoga.

#6 4 years ago

Their are a lot of shows. Timing is of essence.
    You don't want to have it close to other local shows. I'm in to bring a game or more.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Check with forceflow , he’s been trying to build the show in Saratoga.

...and I just recently ended it after 3 years. Partly because the local YMCA (who was hosting the event) decided not to do it again, and partly that participation (and factors affecting participation) was a bit of an issue.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I do need to figure out when everybody is dead in town. Empty hotels, no big events here or regionally, should allow me put things in place without too much arm twisting.

Quoted from LTG:

The main and most difficult thing is getting people to actually bring games. Plan to bring several of your own to help boost the game count. If you can cultivate a core group of participants, that will help too.

Timing with the region's existing pinball/arcade show schedule, as well as local events schedule can have a huge impact. In the northeast, the show schedule was getting very crowded, and the local event schedule was busy as well (making hotels rather expensive), which affected participation. At least three shows in my area either sprung up in the past couple years or started incorporating a pinball/arcade feature into their show.

Timing with the seasonal weather can also affect things. People don't generally like to drag games around in poor weather.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

As far as games, i have some and id be relying on others to bring theirs in exchange for entry and other things like dinner, raffle tics, whatever i can do. I can call in some favors and get food on site for nothing up front, just cover labor and actual food cost if it goes south.

You may find folks aren't too interested in donating or discounting stuff. I was running my show as a charity event, and there was still resistance to that. You either have to provide everything from your own pocket, or guarantee a certain amount of exposure to make it worthwhile for a sponsorship.

Rewards/prizes for participants don't really seem to motivate people too much to participate. It can be a nice perk for people who were going to participate anyway, but it's probably not going to do much for people who weren't interested in the first place.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Power might be the most important thing you need to make sure is adequate. You don’t want to go through all the hard work of getting 100 games there and have them play poorly due to inadequate power.

This is probably one of the most difficult things to finding a good venue. Keep in mind that the sustained load on the trunk line into the building or to the panels might be too much for them to handle.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

But I was thinking the area (Fox valley, wi) could use a “small”, I.e. not mgc or expo show.

Be prepared for most of your free time to go into preparing for the show throughout the year. It takes a lot of planning to pull it off.

Also be prepared for people to bail at the last minute. It sucks, but it happens. This past year, the food truck I lined up bailed on the event and ghosted me.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

For vendors, I’d offer space for free for the first yr. and limit one vendor per type.

I wouldn't suggest offering space for free--there is a psychological factor at play when you do that. The odds of someone bailing when offered a free space will be high, since they will feel like they have no real personal investment in going, and may not show up if they just don't feel like going. With a small nominal fee, then they feel they have a personal stake in actually going.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

, or $25 family pass

You'll lose out on a lot of revenue that way. A good chunk of the audience will be families that are 3, 4, 5 or more people in a group. I only charged $10 for my show, and didn't have any complaints about it. Most other events in the area were much more than that, so $10 per person for a few hours of entertainment was pretty reasonable.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

It would be pinball, arcade, console, board/card game. Our local university (uwo) had a good turnout recently just for board games, so hoping to tap into that to help with numbers.

It's tough to plan and organize multiple focuses inside a single event. While I thought it would be beneficial to draw upon different areas for my show, you're really just subject to what the interests of your audience are no matter how diverse you try to make the features. What works for one area or show might not work for another.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I have access to a large(for Oshkosh) hall, and have very close contacts in the food/hotel industry that could make this possible on a shoestring. I’m NOT looking to make a penny, this is for fun and good of the hobby and families/friends. I want to keep this cheap so more kids and families could attend, that would otherwise find it difficult to attend mgc, or expo.

Hosting an event is very expensive. Rent for a space is going to be the biggest issue, and will make or break a show. I got lucky and managed to come to an arrangement that was very beneficial for the event that made it fairly inexpensive to operate, otherwise I would not have been able to do it.

If you want to discuss further, let me know. I'm all for helping another event be as successful as possible, and happy pass along whatever info/suggestions I can.

#8 4 years ago

Like others have said, be prepared to lay out some serious cash. I don't have a show of my own but I do have our annual party and each year is around $1600+ and that's just with having it here in my house. That being said there is no insurance or space to buy per say but all the other expenses add up pretty quickly, you'll be surprised. For me it's not the money part though, its the time it takes to pull it off, plan on being totally all in especially as the date gets closer and closer. Good luck.

John

#9 4 years ago

Jay, become a volunteer at MGC for next year's show. It will give you valuable experience and some inside knowledge on what it will take to put on a show. I've been volunteering in the MGC arcade hall for years and have learned a lot about what it takes just for the arcade hall.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Jay, become a volunteer at MGC for next year's show. It will give you valuable experience and some inside knowledge on what it will take to put on a show. I've been volunteering in the MGC arcade hall for years and have learned a lot about what it takes just for the arcade hall.

Speaking of MGC, ask Dan Loosen how many years it took for him to just break even.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Speaking of MGC, ask Dan Loosen how many years it took for him to just break even.

Yup. And it's so much work for him to put on the show that it's now his only form of employment. Not because the pay is great, but because it's a year long effort to put the show together. The guy sacrifices a lot on our account.

-Hans

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Fantastic idea!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Mgc is a fantastic show, and is proof of the hard work dan has and continues to put in. I could never come close to that. I’d just like to see a small show in northeast wi for local pinheads and families.

Excellent points @forceflow. I’m so glad I brought my thoughts here to pinside, so much knowledge here. I’m meeting a few people today to start looking at things.

#14 4 years ago

We're always looking for good dedicated volunteers at the MGC, and it would be a great experience for you. And like most shows beginnings, nothing wrong with starting small. Find a cheap space to rent like a VFW, Town Hall, Motel conference room etc. and see how it goes.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Ok, so I’m brain dead sometimes. But I was thinking the area (Fox valley, wi) could use a “small”, I.e. not mgc or expo show. So the purpose of this thread is to 1) solicit information about the how to/ running of said show, 2) determine local interest and regional interest in attending, bringing games, being a vendor. 3) determine if I’m just f’n nuts.
    I have access to a large(for Oshkosh) hall, and have very close contacts in the food/hotel industry that could make this possible on a shoestring. I’m NOT looking to make a penny, this is for fun and good of the hobby and families/friends. I want to keep this cheap so more kids and families could attend, that would otherwise find it difficult to attend mgc, or expo. My target is $10 entry for an all day band, or $25 family pass. It would be pinball, arcade, console, board/card game. Our local university (uwo) had a good turnout recently just for board games, so hoping to tap into that to help with numbers. If I got 100 machines together I’d be happy. I have 13 myself, so it’s a start. For vendors, I’d offer space for free for the first yr. and limit one vendor per type. If I had five total I’d be happy But three is fine. Also I think I can get them free rooms. I want to space it out from other shows and not conflict with other events. Just a small get together, maybe get more people interested in the hobby and attend mgc. We’re prob two yrs out for this to happen, so any input is great.

Look up the Pintastic thread that is as new a show as you will find talk to the guys that started Pintastic a few yr's back

3 weeks later
    #16 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Look up the Pintastic thread that is as new a show as you will find talk to the guys that started Pintastic a few yr's back

But Pintastic is a "big" show, by his reckoning, so we may have solutions that are inappropriate for a "small" show. I'll certainly back up ForceFlow and the others who say that getting people to bring machines to play is a major stress factor.
    .................David Marston
    (one of the guys that started Pintastic)

2 months later
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I’m meeting a few people today to start looking at things.

So, did anything ever shake out with your meetings?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-a-local-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.