• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

big switchpng (resized).png
on-off-switch-mural1-300x200 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

My current collection is: STTNG, TAF, MMR LE, LOTR, WOZ ECLE, and SS. I am considering switching out my older games for newer Sterns.

More specifically I am considering a swap with a local dealer switching out TAF, STTNG, and LOTR for the pro NIB versions of GB, TWD, and a used SM in very good condition.

I have had Addams family since 1999, STTNG for about 5 years and LOTR for several years as well. I am pretty much the only one that plays STTNG and LOTR. We all play TAF from time to time. I just think it might be time to switch out some of the games. I'm hoping the newer games with a little bit less maintenance. My current games don't require much, but there always seems to be something small to address.

I would be adding some cash to make the swap since I am working with a dealer. My wife is a little concerned because Pinside shows my games to be worth more, but I understand the new ones are actually new. I would also not expect to come out the better end of the deal when working with a dealer. They expect to have some margin on their transactions

Any thoughts or tips one way or the other?

#2 6 years ago

on-off-switch-mural1-300x200 (resized).jpegon-off-switch-mural1-300x200 (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago

I'd keep the MMr and WOZ. You named the first 3 games I'd sell (I sold LOTR), and I'd add SS to that.

#4 6 years ago

Have you spent any time playing the new games? Or is your interest in them just based on the themes?

#5 6 years ago

Suggestion on the transaction itself. If you're pins are in nice condition I would think you've got $15-$17000 value in the ones you mentioned(TAF, LOTR, STNG) plus or minus on a retail level. Why not just sell them yourself and get the games you want as you sell you're current ones? You might also consider putting ads for trades on the titles you want. NIB Pros are somewhere around $5200 delivered and there's no shortage of SM's out there. If you factor in the money you were going to contribute to make the deal you may end in in a position where you have enough to do some premiums or buy another used pin in addition to the three.

As far as game play goes, I think a lot of that is personal preference. Both NIB titles you mention are a blast! Quick ball times, great over package. SM is an absolute winner as well, long ball times though which gets old after a bit in my opinion.

#6 6 years ago

If you have a dealer willing to make that swap you have to figure it's because he feels he can make a considerable profit, especially on two of those pins (LOTR and TAF).

They are both very desirable, and if yours are in really good shape will be highly sought after.

I have GB pro, love it, and think it's a great new pin, but I don't think I would ever trade my LOTR for it, it is just an undeniably classic fantastic machine. I might consider swapping my STTNG, because they're more of those around and easier to get at a lower price.

Have you considered just selling one of your three and then picking up a nice used SM, GB, or TWD, or even a NIB one of those versions if you feel you want to go that route, instead of swapping so many all at once? At least that way, you're keeping the profit from the sale rather than giving it to the dealer. ( assuming you bought those three pins several years ago and can sell them at current market prices?). I think it's a valid point that your wife is making about relative values.

#7 6 years ago

Sell the one you are tired of and just buy the one you want. A machine in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

#8 6 years ago

Whilst I would encourage you to go for newer games (I did it and it rekindled my love of the hobby), I am not sure you getting the best deal. NIB prices are much dearer here in the UK so it would be a good deal but over there in the US I'm not so sure.

#9 6 years ago

All of your games are worth more than he'd be giving you - and he wants cash on top!? Screw that. You're better off selling your games to fellow collectors for what they're worth, then buy the games you want from a distributor like Trent or JJ for a good price.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts so far. I put STTNG on Craigslist a couple days ago. Got some nibbles, but they all seem to want to lowball. Maybe the market here in Florida isn't what it was up in Minnesota/Wisconsin where I moved from. I used to buy/sell up there pretty easily. It also isn't high season right now. Not sure that would make a big difference on pinball machines, but maybe it does.

If I fast forward a couple years with the games and later look to sell the ones I am trading for, would it be reasonable to expect around 4500 per game?

I have played and enjoyed each of the games. I probably played Spiderman the most, but always on location. I would think it would be better in a home environment.

#11 6 years ago

This is a simply awful idea. You've got all time classics in your collection, and you are considering trading them out for some run of the mill new release - it's like trading in a Mercedes for a Kia. Moreover, all of the games you listed are worth more individually than any of the games you're considering. I understand a dealer wanting to make a straight up swap (they need to make money too), but for you to trade in higher value games AND include cash is unreasonable.

#12 6 years ago

On Pinside the LOTR,TAF,STNNG would probably sell in a week, especially the first two, crazy to swap to a dealer, buy the ones you want individually on Pinside then, why throw money away.

#13 6 years ago

I think STNGG is your tough sell, as it's all over the place in price and closer to 4200 just assuming good condition. I think LOTR has stayed the same and worth around 5k or so. TAF has gone up n value and seems to fetch 5500+

Sometimes conveinence is worth it though. Nice to have games picked up and new ones delivered without doing any work.

#14 6 years ago

Sounds like a pretty even trade, NOT counting whatever cash he's asking you to add on top. Dealers need profit to stay in business, so I get the cash part. If you think throwing in some cash is worth the convenience of pulling this off in one swoop then why not? It takes a fair bit of time and effort to sell/buy 6 pins.

STTNG = $4000-something
LOTR = $5000-something
TAF = $6000-something

= $15k-ish

2 NIB Stern Pros plus nice Stern Spider Man

= $15k-ish

The numbers don't lie. It's a very fair trade not counting the cash.

Assuming we're talking a small amount of cash here, I say ask for a Met Pro instead of a GB Pro and then pull the trigger. Having 3 great new pins arrive is sure to jump start your lineup.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

On Pinside the LOTR,TAF,STNNG would probably sell in a week, especially the first two, crazy to swap to a dealer, buy the ones you want individually on Pinside then, why throw money away.

Depends on where you're at and how cheap you price them. I see good pins sit all the time. In some areas the only way to move a pin is to price it cheap enough to entice someone sight-unseen and to also cover the cost of shipping.

#16 6 years ago

For whatever it's worth... I sold my very nice ST-TNG 10 days ago for $4600.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

This is a simply awful idea. You've got all time classics in your collection

But even the best games get old. He's owned TAF for 18 years! Clearly he's not a collector that wants to have/can afford/can fit endless games building up because they are "collectible". Once I made that mental jump from being a "collector" to being a "player", i haven't looked back.

#18 6 years ago

I would go for the trade on all three but switch the LOTR for the SS and see if your distributor will go for it.

#19 6 years ago

May want to list the STTNG on Pinside too. You mentioned you had it on CL (where you said you were getting low balls). You should be able to get atleast ~low/mid 5000s for LOTR and atleast ~6000 for TAF if you sell on pinside(/CL) most likely. It all comes down to how much extra $$ the dealer wants. I am interested in one of the titles above and sent you a pm last evening if you decide to test the waters with the private sale route on all three. The one thing I would be careful of is how much extra cash you would have to give to a dealer to make the deal work. I think the titles you have are in demand enough to explore the private sale route if you want first, with the option of doing the dealer trade in, at any time, if you do not get the price you want in the private listings. Best of Luck!

#20 6 years ago

big switchpng (resized).pngbig switchpng (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 7.50
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 159.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/considering-a-big-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.