IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Would like a few opinions on which machine to buy, since I have limited play on both machines, but mainly looking for advice on reliability, ease of maintenance, investment value for future trade etc. and depth of play. Since its going to cost a big chunk of cash $3800 (VG condition) for my budget, I want the best value and value your opinions (even taking into account personal preferences) allot.

Thanks

#2 12 years ago

I have both and I would say they are on the same page as far as maintenance goes. I would say TOM might be a little more because of the trunk. You simply have to replace the $40 trunk from time to time as it cracks. They are both excellent and fun. IMO they are pretty = to each other.

#3 12 years ago

I think they are pretty even in most of your assessment categories. SS has more lastability in home use, in my opinion.

#4 12 years ago

The replacement trunks available really are weak. Mine broke in less then a week. However I did run a hot glue backing on the inside bottom inch or so and that seemed to hold it, even the broken piece I put back on and it never broke again.

Only played SS a few times, so I really cannot say which is better. I loved TOM overall but the rules just fell flat for me. If they did a home ROM I could see TOM being in the top 5.

#5 12 years ago

I've got both games as well and I would give the edge to SS by the slimmest of margins; as the other guys said, they're almost equal.

TOM is one of the greatest flow games ever designed.

SS's main attraction is Elvira.

Ballers scoff at both games which means I must suck as a player--because I consider them both to be just a lot of fun.

No measurable maintenance difference.

#6 12 years ago

SS, it's better looking, better theme and better playability(IMHO). Once you get it tuned in, it's an extremely reliable machine. Get some hole protectors, adjust the flap on the ramp for the spider hole for proper operation and get an extra piece of mylar for the playfield in front of the crate over the word "terrifying"( the ball will damage that area when it comes out of the VUK) and you should be good to go. As far as a future trade in comparison to the TOM, it's probably a toss up. There were approximately 2600 more TOM's produced than SS. That might be something to consider.

Goodluck!!

#7 12 years ago

ss

#8 12 years ago

Not much in it really. I wanted both but got TOM first because of condition and price. Both great pins and both are real lookers. If you are a serious player then both are likely to get old. I would find it hard to split them really.

#9 12 years ago

Both of those games will get boring in a very short ammount of time. Neither of them have any depth. I have had both, and neither of them lasted at all.

#10 12 years ago

Thanks for the input guys, really helped.

#11 12 years ago

I'd give the advantage to SS. Getting to the spider wizard mode is super duper hard. Owned for a year, have only witnessed one person reach it in 100's of games.

#12 12 years ago

I'm getting the SS tomorrow, it has the latest ROM set 1.5 and some other mods. Thanks again!

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I think they are pretty even in most of your assessment categories. SS has more lastability in home use, in my opinion.

Agree. I owned both and still have my SS. Actually owned TOM twice. Beautiful game with excellent flow but SS just has more lastability.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I have both and I would say they are on the same page as far as maintenance goes. I would say TOM might be a little more because of the trunk. You simply have to replace the $40 trunk from time to time as it cracks. They are both excellent and fun. IMO they are pretty = to each other.

I own both currently as well and largely agree with this. I might give the nod to SS because of the humor.

#15 12 years ago

I own them both. My wife happens to like both of them as well. I want to sell TOM but SS is a keeper in my mind. They are both on the easier side but SS is more fun (gameplay, audio clips, theme) to me.

#16 12 years ago

I think SS is the better game, make sure you retrofit the boogeymen and skull pile LEDs, they were dropped for production but really deserve to be there.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from CVTSTZ:

Both of those games will get boring in a very short ammount of time.

I know most would not agree with this but I definitely do. That said, I would probably give the slight edge to SS over TOM.

#19 12 years ago

wife loves SS and so do i

#20 12 years ago

Thanks again,
this machine looks brand new, I can't begin to express the pristine condition it is in. And the play is fun. Gave me an extra spider wheel motor and skull pile LED's. Looks like it never seen public play!

The TOM was a 71 pinto compared to this... Worlds apart condition wise, because I saw no flaws anywhere..

#21 12 years ago

You should post some pics.

#22 12 years ago

here they are...

IMG_0725.JPGIMG_0725.JPG IMG_0726.JPGIMG_0726.JPG IMG_0727.JPGIMG_0727.JPG IMG_0728.JPGIMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPGIMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPGIMG_0730.JPG

#23 12 years ago

hopefully these give an indication of the quality.

Thanks

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from lostone:

hopefully these give an indication of the quality.
Thanks

Not really, lots of glare off the glass, low quality pics.....but, congrats on picking up a GREAT pin that is tons of fun!

#25 12 years ago

Congrats.

Keep that blind closed at all times man!

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from NM:

+1000

#28 12 years ago

I had Theatre of magic and while is was a beauty to look at it became too repetitive. I sold it after about a year. To put it into perspective I have had lord of the rings since 03. My point is I usually keep my games long term if I like them. In fact I played it again at a local pizza place and realized again why I let mine go. That said I only have limited experience with scared stiff but it was fun but not sure it would hold me like say like spiderman or Addams family. If I had to pick id go with scared stiff. Good luck

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Congrats.

Pardon my ignorance... Explain

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from lostone:

Pardon my ignorance... Explain

Sunlight will fade the cabinet art and playfield over time. It's never a good idea to have your machines exposed to sunlight. If you’re going to keep it in front of a window, keep the blinds closed all the time during the daytime. A faded cab and playfield will severely devalue your pin.

#31 12 years ago

Monsters like the dark anyway!

#32 12 years ago

i have to say that those windows in the background are under a carport.. never UV.. UV kills everything. all my relics (civil war) 2 pinball machines are all under hoarded incandescent (thanks Obama).

IMG_0725.JPGIMG_0725.JPG IMG_0726.JPGIMG_0726.JPG IMG_0727.JPGIMG_0727.JPG IMG_0728.JPGIMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPGIMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPGIMG_0730.JPG

#33 12 years ago

i took the top glass off.. best i can do guys....

cheers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

£ 38.00
£ 38.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 249.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/connundrum-tom-or-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.