Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mystic
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3398.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

So Pinwillie came over and taught me how to replace my burnt GI connectors with IDC connectors . Due to time constraints he left before the repair was complete so I had to finish it myself. I replaced the GI connectors at J120 and J115. Before replacing the board we checked continuity between the pins and where they were going on the board and that all seemed fine. I finished the repair and fired the machine up but one of the strings on the playfield is still out. When in test mode testing the faulty string I see this:

T.6 Playfield string 1
    WHT-YEL YEL

In the Manual if I am reading it correctly it seems thats the playfield GI is on connector J-120 (page 3-12 of manual) which we did replace. There is a White/Yellow wire on that connector. Is this what the test is referring to? What is the second YEL that comes up in the test display referring to? What does the T.6 stand for?

I pulled the white/yellow wire out of the connector J120 and put it back in. I Reseated the connector. In the manual it appears that fuse 110 is connected with that wire. I pulled that fuse and it does buzz out.

Any thoughts? Am I reading all this correctly? Where should I look next?

#2 11 years ago

Meter in hand. Set to AC. AC power to power driver board ? AC power leaving GI connector on power driver board ?

That will let you know where to go next. No power in check the transformer connector, no power out then you have an issue on the board even if you checked.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

Fuse

#4 11 years ago

T.6 is just "Test 6"

Even though you have replaced the connectors you can still have continuity issues on the board. Starting at J115 buzz out the traces from the header pins to the fuses, from the fuses to the traics and from the triacs to J120, J121 and J119.

Also you may have not successfully seated the wire correctly in the IDC connector. Personally I think they are garbage and prefer the Crimp style connectors when doing this sort of repair.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

Also you may have not successfully seated the wire correctly in the IDC connector. Personally I think they are garbage and prefer the Crimp style connectors when doing this sort of repair.

my mistake, I had IDC and replaced with crimp style.

checked the fuse, buzzes for continuity.

Quoted from LTG:

AC power to power driver board ? AC power leaving GI connector on power driver board ?

Still learning and not quite sure how to do that, can you dumb it down a bit for me?

#6 11 years ago

Sorry, missed that part. Reading too fast.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

checked the fuse, buzzes for continuity.

Pulled off of board and checked with a meter ?

LTG

#8 11 years ago

LTG said:

AC power to power driver board ? AC power leaving GI connector on power driver board ?

Still learning and not quite sure how to do that, can you dumb it down a bit for me?

Manual in hand find the GI power connectors on your power driver board. Lower left corner.

Study manual. You check AC hot to common not to ground. Figure what color wires are what.

Where GI AC powers enters the board you should see 6 volts. Where the AC power leaves the board and goes to the GI bulbs, you should see 6 volts.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems Pinwiki has some GI help.

Search YouTube for how to use a meter if you aren't sure.

I'm sorry but I can't dumb it down much more than that. If you need more help, then get some hands on help or at least some basic electronics to help you trouble shoot.

LTG

#9 11 years ago

Sometimes the header pins need re-flowed or replaced.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Sometimes the header pins need re-flowed or replaced.

Always worth doing the header pins when installing new connectors on the G.I. wires. Even if they look good, they can be bad. Header pins build up more resistance when exposed to heat for a long time, in effect, they burn out. For the cost and time to do the headers, it is always worth it, better conduction means less heat. Check those header pins

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Always worth doing the header pins when installing new connectors on the G.I. wires. Even if they look good, they can be bad. Header pins build up more resistance when exposed to heat for a long time, in effect, they burn out. For the cost and time to do the headers, it is always worth it, better conduction means less heat. Check those header pins

We replaced those as well and checked the traces and we had continuity between the pins and the fuses.

Quoted from LTG:

yes

#12 11 years ago

Ok two things. reading pinwiki it says "J120 and J121 are electrically and physically identical (keyed at pin 4) and therefore can be connected to either the female playfield GI connector or the female backbox GI connector without care."

So I switched the connectors between the two and got the same results. Seems to me that if it were a problem on the board then the problem would have moved to another string, most likely one in the backbox since one connector seems to be all backbox and one seems to be all playfield. Thoughts?

#13 11 years ago

Ok just figured something out, I did a test I saw on pinwiki where I measured the AC voltage between the yellow wire and the yellow/white wire and got nothing. When I do the same test on other combos of wires I get a good reading but not between these two, so it appears that there IS a problem on the board and that switching the connectors between J120 and J121 would make no difference.

#14 11 years ago

Since J120 and J121 are in the same line - your problem lies upstream from them over to the AC input.

You have a triac involved that may be bad ?

LTG

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Since J120 and J121 are in the same line - your problem lies upstream from them over to the AC input.

You have a triac involved that may be bad ?

LTG

I will do some research and check those next, thanks for all the help LTG.

#16 11 years ago

Time to check continuity from J115 through the fuses and triacs to J120 and J121 again. 99.9% of the time, this problem ends up being a bad trace or plated through hole

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Time to check continuity from J115 through the fuses and triacs to J120 and J121 again.

I replaced the connector at J115 as well.This was an IDC connector previously and many of the wires were looped through. I pigtailed them since I am using crimp connectors. Could this be part of the problem?

On connector J115 I used my DMM at female connector 3 and connector 11 and got 6 to 7 VAC, This was suggested on pinwiki. How can I check the other pins on J115 to make sure they all have good strong connections?

#18 11 years ago

we kinda knew that when we took this picture it wasnt right, but we ran out of time and needed to get more info of the correct wire placement. the machine had been turned on with these plugged in. i see we have 2 y/w wires going to pin 11 and pin 10 these should be sharing 1, with the other going pins 8 and 7. this may have blown a triac? lets see a current picture. IMG_3398.JPGIMG_3398.JPG

#19 11 years ago

Heres the newest pic. I replaced the two connectors we had and put it all in one. The top (number twelve) Y/W is non pigtailed. ten and eleven Y/W are pigtailed. nine is the key. Eight and seven are Y/W pigtailed. Six is just yellow and non pigtailed. Four and five yellow pigtailed. two and three are yellow pigtailed. and One is Y/W non pigtailed.

Going out for a while, hope to work more on it later. Still trying to figure out what and where the Triacs are and how to test them.

IMG_3406.JPGIMG_3406.JPG

#20 11 years ago

Going out for a while, hope to work more on it later. Still trying to figure out what and where the Triacs are and how to test them.

Triacs are on the huge heatsinks above the fuses.

I don't know how to test them. If I suspect one I leave the game on for awhile and if one is cold replace it.

LTG

#21 11 years ago

its hard to see the pigtail solder connections you did with the heat shrink , double check these also

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

its hard to see the pigtail solder connections you did with the heat shrink , double check these also

I set the DMM to continuity and put one lead on the point where the wire was soldered to the pigtail and then the other lead into the female connector. They all buzzed, this a good enough way to check or should I check some other way?

Quoted from LTG:

I don't know how to test them. If I suspect one I leave the game on for awhile and if one is cold replace it.

Trying this now will report back.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Triacs are on the huge heatsinks above the fuses.

LTG

Left the game on for 15 minutes and all Triacs were hot to the touch. Back to the drawing board.

Looks like the next step might be pulling that board again and checking the traces. Groan... so many connectors!

#24 11 years ago

Steve, did you check trace continuity on the topside of the PCB as well? From the pics, it almost looks like the trace on the topside above the connector you replaced is damaged?
    Just a thought.
    Keith

#25 11 years ago

Stop dreading it, and just do it and get it over with You'll spend longer dreading it and wondering than you will testing things out!

J115 pin 1 to ground. Note if this connection is broken, wacky GI dimming can occur.
    J115 pin 2 to fuse F106 (lower left) to J120/J121 pin 11, to J119 pin 1.
    J115 pin 3 to fuse F110 (lower right) to J120/J121 pin 7.
    J115 pin 4 to fuse F109 (upper right) to J120/J121 pin 8.
    J115 pin 5 to fuse F107 (middle left) to J120/J121 pin 10.
    J115 pin 6 to fuse F108 (upper left) to J120/J121 pin 9.

J115 pin 7 to Q10 top leg (triac lower rt). Q10 middle leg to J120/J121 pin2.
    J115 pin 8 to Q18 bottom leg (triac upper rt). Q18 middle leg to J120/J121 pin1.
    J115 pin 9 - key
    J115 pin 10 to Q16 top leg (triac lower mid). Q16 middle leg to J120/J121 pin5.
    J115 pin 11 to Q14 top leg (triac upper mid). Q14 middle leg to J120/J121 pin3.
    J115 pin 12 to Q12 top leg (triac left). Q12 middle leg to J120/J121 pin6, to J119 pin3.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from kpull:

Steve, did you check trace continuity on the topside of the PCB as well? From the pics, it almost looks like the trace on the topside above the connector you replaced is damaged?
    Just a thought.
    Keith

We did check that, looks worse than it is. The wire was previously soldered right to the trace.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Stop dreading it, and just do it and get it over with You'll spend longer dreading it and wondering than you will testing things out!

Fine! I guess if I have to. In all seriousness your routes that I should check will be super helpful, thank you so much. I am sure that was a lot to figure out and type.

#27 11 years ago

Hey johnwartjr where did you find all that info? Was it something you copied and pasted from a website or did you actually take the time to map it all out and write it all down? If you did take the time, you are a saint. Even if you copied and pasted its very helpful. Thanks again and I could not be more jealous of your collection You almost have my entire top ten!

Also, I am wondering if this info would apply to any williams game that uses the same board or is it specific to Hurricane?

Going to bed now but will be pulling the board and running all these tests tomorrow. I will report back.

#28 11 years ago

That's a copy and paste I did from the former Clay's repair guides some time ago. Luckily, I took some notes before it went away and kept them.

It's a standard check I do on *all* WPC drivers I do GI work on, before they go back in a machine - just looking good isn't good enough, I've pulled far too many clean looking boards back to fix a missing GI string after going to the trouble of putting them back in a machine.

Hopefully, it'll fix you up!

#29 11 years ago

Ok the issue is fixed! All strings are working 100% and the machine looks great!

But I must humbly admit why. I come to you all with hat in hand and egg on my face. What did everyone tell me when I started this thread?

Quoted from Craigmack:

Starting at J115 buzz out the traces from the header pins to the fuses, from the fuses to the traics and from the triacs to J120, J121 and J119.

Quoted from LTG:

Yes it was a fuse. I feel like such a bonehead, but before you jump all over let me explain. Earlier when I said I had checked the fuse I really had. When LTG asked if I had pulled it and checked I had in fact done that too. BUT I only pulled fuse F110 because in my manual that was the fuse that I thought was associated with the wire I had been having problems with the, yellow/white. I did not realize I needed to check the fuse asscociated with just the Yellow wire.

Why did I not check the other fuses? Because they are such a pain in the ass to pull. In fact I broke my crappy little yellow fuse puller trying to pull out that first fuse. I am always nervous pulling fuses that I will break something else with all the force. It was not untill I pulled the board again and followed all of the steps that johnwartjr told me to do did I realize that one of the other fuses was blown. So yes I am an idiot, but on the other hand I am a little glad it happened. I really want to learn as much about repair as I can and if I had just pulled all of the fuses first thing I would have missed out on some great things I learned.

1. Buy a fuse puller, a good one.
    2. When there is a problem that could be a fuse, pull them all and check them all with my DMM. The fuse I pulled that was bad did not look blown at all.
    3. I learned how to test the AC voltage on the wires.
    4. I learned a whole hell of a lot more about how the GI works on williams machines and how I can thoroughly troubleshoot it in the future. Thanks especially to johnwartjr, that stuff from Clays guide was great.
    5. I learned what triacs were.
    6. I learned how to use my DMM to trace the path for one spot to another.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out. Special thanks to Johnwartjr, LTG, and Pinwillie for showing me how to fix the connectors in the first place. Thank you for your patience, hopefully next time someone has this problem I can help them and you guys can sit back and take a load off.

Lastly let me here some recommendations for a good fuse puller, not like the cheap plastic yellow one I had.

#30 11 years ago

Please don't feel bad.

You worked through it, got it figured out, and fixed it.

Compared to a lot of things. I'd say you had a pretty good day.

Now go enjoy your pin !

LTG

#31 11 years ago

Lastly let me here some recommendations for a good fuse puller, not like the cheap plastic yellow one I had.

I use a small screw driver, or a point bender, they have one end at a right angle and you can slip it under a fuse and pop up one end easily.

LTG

#32 11 years ago

praticalsteve, great you got everything working. You gained a lot of experience even though you feel like a bonehead. This experience will help you out in the future. You got in there and did some troubleshooting. You learned a bunch of stuff in the process. So nothing was done in vain, it turned out to be a good experience.

#33 11 years ago

Totally agree, I actually felt really awesome after I fixed it. I really enjoyed learning so much.

Quoted from LTG:

I use a small screw driver, or a point bender, they have one end at a right angle and you can slip it under a fuse and pop up one end easily.

I have been using a small screwdriver as well, but I have to use so much force I am afraid of breaking something else. Ever use one of these kind of fuse pullers?

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Bussmann-Cartridge-Bp-Fp-2-Electrical/dp/B000GAS3Q2/ref=sr_1_7

My main concern is that with the fuses so close together in the case of something like the GI I wont be able to get the tool in there.

#34 11 years ago

. Ever use one of these kind of fuse pullers?

No.

Take a small screw driver, stick it in a vice, bend the end over about 120 degrees so you can slide it under and wedge/pop the fuse up and out.

I'm sure you could make something better than anything you could buy.

LTG

#35 11 years ago

good job !!!! I knew you could figure it out. It won't be your last repair
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=641128&group_ID=675569&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
    this fuse puller works well

#36 11 years ago

What do I win with my one word correct answer?

#37 11 years ago

I love how people say that the Molex connectors are superior to IDC connectors. I have replaced just as many burnt Molex connectors as I have IDC. The rating on each connector type exceed that of the actual power/amperage that should be flowing through those circuits. In my experience the Molex connectors are more of a pain. Most people just don't know how to correctly strip, set, and crimp the pins. Just use IDC especially if its for home use.

Good job on figuring out what the problem was.

#38 11 years ago

doesn't this statement...

Quoted from exflexer:

Just use IDC especially if its for home use.

sort of give less weight to this statement?

Quoted from exflexer:

I love how people say that the Molex connectors are superior to IDC connectors.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

good job !!!! I knew you could figure it out. It won't be your last repair

Thanks dude!

Quoted from LTG:

I'm sure you could make something better than anything you could buy.

I will try your way first.

#40 11 years ago

One way you can pull a fuse.. hook a tie wrap/zip tie around the glass part of the fuse, and pull it out that way

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

sort of give less weight to this statement?

I'm not saying I'm just saying. IDC for the win.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

One way you can pull a fuse.. hook a tie wrap/zip tie around the glass part of the fuse, and pull it out that way

brilliant! will remember that!

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

I love how people say that the Molex connectors are superior to IDC connectors. I have replaced just as many burnt Molex connectors as I have IDC. The rating on each connector type exceed that of the actual power/amperage that should be flowing through those circuits. In my experience the Molex connectors are more of a pain. Most people just don't know how to correctly strip, set, and crimp the pins. Just use IDC especially if its for home use.
    Good job on figuring out what the problem was.

Glad you fixed it. One thing I have learned over the years is always check the easy stuff first. Early on I always jumped to the worst case scenario chasing a problem that began much further up stream

The IDC vs Molex debate has raged on forever. It ultimately comes down to which style you personally can install 100% correctly. Both styles in the black variety handle more amps but once rebuilt they should last forever if they aren't on for hours per day.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

I'm not saying I'm just saying. IDC for the win.

Been doing a lot of work on games that are in fact on location so.. and sometimes I sell to people who put games on location so.. you're recommending I use molex then. I don't often crimp connectors, but when I do, I crimp with molex. Cheers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/connectors-repaired-but-one-gi-string-remains-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.