Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CactusJack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have this LotR machine with these VUK switches that just keep dying.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=197

I am getting tired of re-soldering them. Are there connectors I can buy to making swapping them out easier?

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from TurqMage:

I have this LotR machine with these VUK switches that just keep dying.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=197
I am getting tired of re-soldering them. Are there connectors I can buy to making swapping them out easier?

I am sure there are some connectors out there that will fit the lugs. Hard to see when the switch in the link doesn't show the lugs though. Take a switch to your local electronics store and see what they have. Car audio install places might have them too.

#3 9 years ago

It is a standard micro switch, here is another shot..

http://www.thepinballwizard.net/images/products/elsw-0020.jpg

#4 9 years ago

There are connectors for those. Take the switch to your local electronics store or car-fi install place. They should have em.

#5 9 years ago

I think it is either a 0.110" fast on connector or a 0.187" commonly available at Mouser or Digikey. If you have a caliper, you can measure the lug to be sure.

#7 9 years ago

I dig this. This makes perfect sense to me. Wouldn't it make a better standard to have a locking, quick-release than soldering everything? Seems to me the locking should take care of any vibration-related disconnect concerns, and the quick connect makes it easier to repair or replace when needed. Thoughts?

#8 9 years ago

I love the smell of solder in the morning!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I dig this. This makes perfect sense to me. Wouldn't it make a better standard to have a locking, quick-release than soldering everything? Seems to me the locking should take care of any vibration-related disconnect concerns, and the quick connect makes it easier to repair or replace when needed. Thoughts?

I prefer the much more solid connection of soldering myself. It is one less crimp I have to worry about possibly crimping poorly and not making a good connection when tracing down random issues. I can easily look at a solder spot and know if there is a good connection, where with a connector of some type it can look like a good connection, but in reality be shot.

For me anyways, it takes less time to solder than it does to use a connector anyways

#10 9 years ago

It would take a really positive lock to keep from arcing and burning the connection, thus most solder joints in high vibration situations.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

To my opinion, it is faster and more secure, to solder (no long searching for the crimp tool ). It might happen, that because of vibrations the connector becomes loose over time and falls off.

Quoted from o-din:

I love the smell of solder in the morning!

Me too, but only lead-free solder

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

When you add a connector anywhere, you introduce another place for failure. You (or a manufacturer) has to weight the benefit vs. drawback to using or adding them. Its not always about cost.

In the case of the original poster, the premature failure of the switch more than likely indicates a bad mounting condition that is allowing the ball to over actuate the micro switch and either cause the actuator to break off, or cause internal damage to the mini-micro switch. But, as I remember the older DE VUK designs, it was just a bad design and a common spot for failure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
$ 39.50
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/connectors-for-switches-instead-of-solder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.