13 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by lb45
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12062010028.jpg
    s1con2.jpg
    s1con1s.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

Have you ever re-pined a connector for gottlieb system1.

I purchased a tool (ref..0013), but it seems not working.

I am unable to remove old pins from the connector.

Help me please !

s1con1s.jpgs1con1s.jpg s1con2.jpgs1con2.jpg

#2 13 years ago

That tool works well for Bally/Sterns connectors. Never worked on a Gottleib and I don't think I will ever buy one.
    I just cut the old connector off when repinning the wires but I guess you want to save the connector.

#3 13 years ago

Thanks SC ,
    You're right . It doesn't work with gottlieb sys1 connectors
    I'm ready to replace the old connector with a new one ! I purchased the tool at Marcospecialties - But i didn't purchase a connector !!! - it' a shame

#4 13 years ago

What you need to do is this. From the front, slide the tool in at the bottom edge of the connector, under the contact. Hold the connector in your left hand and push the extraction tool inwards towards the back of the connector with your right hand. You may also have to wiggle it slightly side to side as well. Do not use excessive force just a steady pressure. You may have to do this a few times. What this will do is push up on the locking tang under the contact. Now you will have to use your left hand to gently tug the wire connected to the contact you are trying to remove. Tug gently to moderately as the extraction tool is still inserted in the front of the connector. The contact will slide out of the connector housing, trust me I have done it hundreds of times using the exact same tool.

I also replace ALL the contacts , no matter how good they look, with new contacts. I also remove all the contacts from the connector then soak the connector housing in a vinegar/water mix for a while and scrub with a toothbrush as well. Then I flush with distilled water and let the connector housing dry completely. Many will think this is overkill bit I have seen the corrosion from the old contacts remain in the housing and this is not good.

Let us know how you made out and if needed I will try and post some pics for each step.

#5 13 years ago

Thanks pdman !
    I have been unable to do ..just one contact .

The tool didn't help me
    Are you sure that it's possible especially on "Gottlieb sys1" connector. I really doubt - It seems it does exist two models of Extractor tools ref 0013 and 0016 . I purchased the bad one
    But violence was successfull - Poor World.

I promise to try again : take a look on the picture. I can try again !!

And now , it sounds i need a empty A1J6->I sent an SOS in France.

12062010028.jpg12062010028.jpg

#6 13 years ago

I do have a tool to do this extraction on the Gottlieb connectors but it's very old and from work. I haven't been able to find it for sale anywhere .. sorry .. most likely it's obsolete like many of my old telecom tools I got passed down. It actually fits in from the backside and pushes down the latching "tab" and surrounds the pin allowing it to be removed.

Most of the connectors were made by company called Molex. They are still in business and it might be interesting to contact them with your pics and inquire about an old removal tool. ( www.molex.com )

#7 13 years ago

Eventually , i would buy a new connector to replace the old one - But i didn't find new too.

I am alone on this system1-range ...poor Lb45.

Back to Canada Dry !!

#8 13 years ago

BrokedDad, look at the picture of ythe extractor. It is made by Molex and it is the correct one for removing contacts from the Gottlieb systen 1 connectors, which are Molex.

lb45, take the connector housing and put it in a container of 50 to 75% white vinegar aand the rest water. Let it soak for a while. Use a toothbrush and scrub it inside the housing as best you can. After rinse it well with water, distilled or even tap. Some use alcohol to rinse after to displace any water but usually is not necessary. Let it air dry.
    Now you can reuse the connector housing again,

I've done this many times and it works well.

Also some of the molex housings are unavailable, at least I haven't been able to find them.
    The molex model number is embossed on each connector housing, as well as the pin numbers.

One final note, when reinserting the wires with the new contacts, make sure you start at pin 1 and not the other end. I've done it myself. I take a sharpie and number pin 1 in black just to be sure.

Good luck!!

#9 13 years ago

OK -
    I don't know why i have so much connectors , and not A1J4 .This Dragon was deeply modified - I agreed due to the low price , in spite of scatered electronic puzzle.
    I Think the battery leaked, contacts were bad due to corrosion, , they cutted wires , and soldered directly on boards.The previous owner decided probably to restart it (have to open a post : how many owners in a pinball life??)

I bought connectors in an exhibition (i found the invoice into the pinball) to replace but was unable to do the job .So i have good more connectors, but not all .

Thanks about the final advice. Should check contact numbers two times!! for sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/connector-to-re-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.