(Topic ID: 110855)

Connecting shaker on TWDLE missing connector?

By Tazdingo

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Tazdingo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14171953268421416503396.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I apologize for the repeat posting but my first post was a reply buried in a sub-forum and I figured no one would see it.

I went to install a shaker in my TWDLE and ran into a problem. The only lead in the cabinet in the area of the shaker is a two pin connector labeled "shaker motor board ground J3". There is no seven pin connector for J1 like I am used to. My Rev B shaker board does not even have pins on the J3 location. Is there a new Rev of shaker now that only uses the two pin connector on J3?

Thanks

Post edited by Tazdingo: Clarify topic

#2 9 years ago

You know where they pre-drilled the holes for the board? Above that on the cabinet is a bundle of wires running horizontally. On mine the other wire lead that you are looking for was tucked into that bundle of wires. It took me a while to find it buried in the wire bundle.

#3 9 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

I just double checked the whole wiring harness from the coin door back to the middle of the cabinet. The only other connectors besides the 2-pin "J3" is a 9-pin Molex, a 3-pin Molex, a 2-pin Molex, and three female spade plugs. None of these will properly connect to the 7-pin connector on the shaker motor.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

#4 9 years ago

Hmm ... my shaker kit came with a couple of wiring harnesses. One that I didn't need because the wiring was already present in the cabinet and one that essentially connected the additional cabinet wiring to the board. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I am home again and see if I can snap a pic of it for you.

#5 9 years ago

The connector from the shaker plugs into the board you install

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Yep, then the last connection is a loose plug in the back of the bottom of the cabinet

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Quoted from centerflank:

Yep, then the last connection is a loose plug in the back of the bottom of the cabinet

I understand all this, I have 5 other Stern games with shakers I have installed. All the others have a 7-pin flat connector that connects to the shaker board. On my TWDLE the only appropriate available connector is the one I spoke of, a 2-pin labeled "shaker motor board ground J3". That is the only shaker board interface connector in my game. There is a location for a J3 plug on the shaker board, but none of my other games use that plug, and the Rev B shaker board I have does not even have pins populating the connection point.

I guess I should call and talk to Stern. I was just wondering if any body else had seen this issue.

Thanks

#8 9 years ago

Here's how mine is connected and everything works fine. I was a little confused with the ground since there's no pins to connect it. Hope the pic helps

14171953268421416503396.jpg14171953268421416503396.jpg
#9 9 years ago

J1 is in the backbox. With the new Stern shakers you have to run the wire with the big (J1) connector up to the backbox and plug it in there.

#10 9 years ago

Got it figured out. I am missing the J1 harness. In my older Stern games it was included in the game wiring from the factory. (at least in my SM and LOTRLE)

I talked to Stern and now it comes with the shaker kit but since I am using an older shaker I don't have the harness, or else I inadvertently let it get away with the game that used to have the shaker in it. I swapped the harness from my Magneto and the shaker works fine in TWD. So now I just have to make another harness for use in Magneto.

Thanks for all the input.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/connecting-shaker-on-twdle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.