(Topic ID: 232162)

Connecting ColorDMD to an Arcade Power Supply.

By RestonVA

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_7985 (resized).jpg
HAPP PSU (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

To prevent blowing fuse F116 continuously I want to connect a ColorDMD CHROMA REV A1 to a HAPP 110W power supply.

Other topics about this seem to contradict each other and when I asked the people from colorDMD I got the following reply:

We don't recommend or support using an external power supply with the ColorDMD board. If you have other mods running from 12V, suggest you use
the power supply to power those mods. The reason is that there is a data cable that crosses between the display board and ColorDMD and it's very
important that those boards remain on the same ground. If you are not sure what you are doing, it's possible to damage one or more of your boards.

If you have other lighted mods like toppers or LED strips, they can be connected to the external supply.

However, to answer your question the ColroDMD power cable is keyed as:

1 Gray 5V
2 Black Ground
3 Gray/Yellow 12V
4 KEY

Fuse F116 blew while other mods were disconnected, so I want to go ahead and connect it to an external power supply.

The power supply has:
p1 +5V
p2 GND
p3 GND
p4 -5V
p5 +12V
p6 - FG
p7 AC 115V
p8 AC 115V

As 115V Source I found a loose 9 pin male connector providing power when the machine is switched on. I found that his is an undocumented bill acceptor cable with the following pinout:
s4 AC 115V (white)
s6 AC 115V (black)
s7 credit (+) [N.O.] (orange/red)
s8 credit (-) [Common] (black/white)

I am not sure how to exactly connect each wire and ground it correctly, is the table below correct?
c2 (ground) to p2 (GND)
c3 (12V) to p5 (+12V)

p7 (AC 115V) to s4 (AC 115V white)
p8 (AC 115V) to s6 (AC 115V black)

Any ground wires, what is FG?

HAPP PSU (resized).jpgIMG_7985 (resized).jpg
#2 4 months ago

So, the vendor says not to do it, but you want to proceed?

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

So, the vendor says not to do it, but you want to proceed?

Actually the vendor recommends to move other mods first, otherwise you must make sure the boards remain on the common ground. Just do a Google search for F116 and ColorDMD and you will see it is a common issue which only is resolved with a separate power supply. Not all driverboards can handle the 12V draw of a ColorDMD.

So I want to proceed but correctly.

#4 4 months ago

Ive done this with great success using one of those.

#5 4 months ago

IMHO, if your WPC89 Driver board doesn't have enough power for the DMD then you either have a bad bridge on the PDB, or have other issues unrelated to to the PDB that are causing excessive current draw.

#6 4 months ago

FG is frame ground - the chassis... vs 'signal ground' which is the ground of the outputs. Frame ground is usually tied to earth ground for shock hazard protection.

In most pins, earth and signal ground are tied together by the ground points anyways. I would tie FG of the power supply to the ground of the transformer/power outlets and probably the output ground as well (assuming the board grounds are tied to same).

But I would have looked at why your driver board can't supply the 12V on its own.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But I would have looked at why your driver board can't supply the 12V on its own.

This is not the way to think - these boards were not designed to handle all the 12v mods people add. They barely had enough power to keep the pin going...

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

This is not the way to think - these boards were not designed to handle all the 12v mods people add. They barely had enough power to keep the pin going...

He said it was blowing fuses with just the color dmd connected. What it was designed for is not significant here because we know the board as designed will support color dmd as demonstrated by countless installations and Randy's own work.

This guys pdb is not performing to the expected baseline.

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

He said it was blowing fuses with just the color dmd connected. What it was designed for is not significant here because we know the board as designed will support color dmd as demonstrated by countless installations and Randy's own work.
This guys pdb is not performing to the expected baseline.

I respectfully disagree - the board was never designed to handle an additional 12v load

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I respectfully disagree - the board was never designed to handle an additional 12v load

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, but I have always thought the colordmd was using 5v and creating less of a power draw than the original display would be. No?

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, but I have always thought the colordmd was using 5v and creating less of a power draw than the original display would be. No?

color dmd draws from both 12v and 5V and just takes the high voltage out of the equation. If you have a toasted high voltage section on your dmd board it is a great alternative to getting a new board.

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

color dmd draws from both 12v and 5V and just takes the high voltage out of the equation. If you have a toasted high voltage section on your dmd board it is a great alternative to getting a new board.

Gotcha

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Obviously - but the factory design has the headroom for the additional display. And a board performing to spec will work with it.

#14 4 months ago

Ok, I'll ask the real question...

how much wattage is the PDB 12V section designed to handle?, how much wattage on the 12V line did the plasma display use? and how much wattage does the color DMD draw on the 12V line?

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Obviously - but the factory design has the headroom for the additional display. And a board performing to spec will work with it.

Good luck with 20 year old boards...

#16 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

So everyone else is really just getting by on pure luck?

And we no longer refurb boards when a system is no longer performing up to its potential? I must have missed those thousands of power driver boards that are still in use, but aged and people just bolted on power supplies instead of just repairing the aged components.

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So everyone else is really just getting by on pure luck?
And we no longer refurb boards when a system is no longer performing up to its potential? I must have missed those thousands of power driver boards that are still in use, but aged and people just bolted on power supplies instead of just repairing the aged components.

I quit trying to get you to understand - merry christmas!

#18 3 months ago
Quoted from RestonVA:

To prevent blowing fuse F116 continuously I want to connect a ColorDMD CHROMA REV A1 to a HAPP 110W power supply.
Other topics about this seem to contradict each other and when I asked the people from colorDMD I got the following reply:

Fuse F116 blew while other mods were disconnected, so I want to go ahead and connect it to an external power supply.
The power supply has:
p1 +5V
p2 GND
p3 GND
p4 -5V
p5 +12V
p6 - FG
p7 AC 115V
p8 AC 115V
As 115V Source I found a loose 9 pin male connector providing power when the machine is switched on. I found that his is an undocumented bill acceptor cable with the following pinout:
s4 AC 115V (white)
s6 AC 115V (black)
s7 credit (+) [N.O.] (orange/red)
s8 credit (-) [Common] (black/white)
I am not sure how to exactly connect each wire and ground it correctly, is the table below correct?
c2 (ground) to p2 (GND)
c3 (12V) to p5 (+12V)
p7 (AC 115V) to s4 (AC 115V white)
p8 (AC 115V) to s6 (AC 115V black)
Any ground wires, what is FG?[quoted image][quoted image]

"FG" is frame ground. I believe that "Ground" can be tied to "FG" and then both to the game's ground braids and service outlet housing that is grounded.

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I believe I read that the newer COLORDMDs no longer have/need the 5V connection.

#20 3 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Age is just a number, the only components on the board that are effected by age are the capacitors, and their age is related to actual on-time and heat. In a well maintained machine all other components will out live your grandchildren.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mill Valley, CA
$ 16.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Ammerzoden, GE
Wanted
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sittard
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 254.99
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside