• Latest reply 7 years ago by setzkor
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2383 (resized).PNG
#1 7 years ago

I have a toy that I want to place in my pinball. I have to custom drill a small hole and place a bare LED into it. My question is, what do I need to use to piggyback off an existing 6.3vac socket? I assume I need a resister to limit the current. Since it is AC, polarity shouldn't matter. Any suggestion for connecting bare LEDs?

#2 7 years ago

You can get LEDs that already have the leads soldered to them on ebay.

You will have to add the resistor, unless they are already installed (ie: 6v or 12v LED)

#3 7 years ago

what game are you trying to connect from? if 90's bally/wms and sterns up to say a few years ago you can use a matrix adaptor from Comet Pinball and then easily adapt your wiring to a particular feature then put the correct rated resistor on to the longer leg of the led and when a feature is lit for a GI socket or insert your modded led when turned on.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1871.htm

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from MagicPinball:

I have a toy that I want to place in my pinball. I have to custom drill a small hole and place a bare LED into it. My question is, what do I need to use to piggyback off an existing 6.3vac socket? I assume I need a resister to limit the current. Since it is AC, polarity shouldn't matter. Any suggestion for connecting bare LEDs?

For 6.3 volts AC, you can use a 220 ohm @ 1/4 watt resistor in series with the LED.

#5 7 years ago

Several years ago I found a website (resistor wizard) that shows what you need. Click on led calculator if you are just using one.

IMG_2383 (resized).PNGIMG_2383 (resized).PNG

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

what game are you trying to connect from? if 90's bally/wms and sterns up to say a few years ago you can use a matrix adaptor from Comet Pinball and then easily adapt your wiring to a particular feature then put the correct rated resistor on to the longer leg of the led and when a feature is lit for a GI socket or insert your modded led when turned on.
http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1871.htm

I have 2 pinball machines: Theatre of Magic and Star Trek 25th Anniversary. I believe both use 6.3VAC for their GI and other lighting. I want to create a couple of toys that I have. They both will require "pinpoint" LEDs. I figured 150-220 ohm will do it and KeyLayton verified that. Now I have to find small LEDs (< 5mm). Thank you for providing the link for the Matrix connection. This will make it easier than using alligator clips.

#7 7 years ago

If you are connecting a standard SMD LED to AC GI, I would think you would need some kind of rectification to push it to DC of the proper bias. Here's a quick and dirty result for a supplier of small LED's

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/surface-mount-smd/filter/LED_Type,2835_SMD,50,5904:

However, if you have any old electronics with displays lying around, you could potentially scavenge the LED's out of the backlight. They are typically 1x4 mm or so. Depends on how much you want to save on shipping Although, some LEDs used here have 2 chips in series (bright!!!) and run around 6V instead of 3V.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/connecting-a-led-not-a-led-bulb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.