Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tilted81
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 6 years ago

It's impossible to prevent cheating. It's not practical to even attempt it. And oh man, people will cheat. I cannot explain why someone would get satisfaction from taking the glass off and putting up a fake high score on the internet, but I can still promise you people will do it.

As such the integrity of the high scores would be compromised, and I'd never pay any attention to them whatsoever. That's removing all the "different setup and waxing etc" issues. It's just a non starter because people are jerks.

#22 6 years ago

Off topic, but maybe vaguely amusing story:

When I read the topic title I thought you meant connected like NBA Fastbreak, where two pins would be connected locally. That's still an interesting idea to me, because it solves much of the cheating and setup issues if both games are physically next to each other.

Anyways, back in a simpler time, when Heighway wasn't a mess and Andrew and I were still talking and the future for Alien seemed brighter there was actually serious talk of Heighway going after the Predator license. I was against it personally, seemed like borrowing bad vibes, but Andrew thought maybe he could entice the Predator buyers or something by actually making a game. It obviously went nowhere, and for the best given what happened afterwards.

But during the time when the idea was kicked around I pitched something where if you owned both Alien and Predator you could link them together and play a special Alien vs Predator mode that would only occur when the games were connected. A ridiculous easter egg, but it would have been pretty cool.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Impossible to prevent cheating? I couldn't disagree more, simply use a live stream program/camera to be validated into the tournament or competition.

If you're live streaming a game there's no point in any of this extra stuff though. Just live stream yourself playing right now, everyone can see your score, share with the world, have a good time.

Anyways, I'm simply saying that cheating is so trivially easy that it would make the feature of zero value to me personally. I'd never trust the scores, and I'd never care about adding my own. The cost for adding it to games, and maintaining an infrastructure doesn't feel worth it.

If a company feels differently and does it then more power to them! Just my personal take on why I don't feel like it's a particularly valuable feature.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

But that's the point. If you can't prevent cheating 100% (and you can't) then there is no point in trying to prevent 95%.

Yup.

I'm not trying to rain on people's parade here, I get it, you want to play with your friends or something and you're not worried about it. But as a commercial feature it's just got too many issues that would ruin it as a mass market product. If I was making a pin I'd see those problems, realize the headaches they create, think about the extra cost and time it would take (and if we're adding cameras it's even more) and scrap it. Because pinball is a physical game, meant to be shared in a physical space.

Not everything needs to be played over the internet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/connected-pins-1?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.