(Topic ID: 262233)

Conjecture: how much over MSRP will Rick & Morty #749 go for (poll)?

By c508

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by 6S3NC3
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“18 months from now, if the owner of build #750 decides to sell NIB, which of the following scenarios seems more likely:”

• Sell for profit of approximately $5500 over MSRP. 29 votes
    21%
  • Sell for profit of approximately $1000 over MSRP (initial deposit cost). 30 votes
    22%
  • Break even. 47 votes
    34%
  • Owner will gladly take the loss on deposit if you pay for the rest of the pin. 32 votes
    23%

(138 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

With all the speculation and profit-taking we've seen for Rick and Morty (Standard) and Rick and Morty (Blood Sucker Edition) in the market place lately, I am wondering how long the "hype-and-gravy-train" will last?

18 months from now, if the owner of build #749 (no idea who that is, but #750 was already auctioned off for charity) decides to sell instead of take possession, which of the following scenarios (see poll) seems more likely:

A. Sell for profit of approximately $5500 over MSRP.

B. Sell for profit of approximately $1000 over MSRP (initial deposit cost).

C. Break even.

D. Owner will gladly take the loss on deposit if you pay for the rest of the pin.

I am not trying to be mean-spirited with this post. I am a Fang-Club member and own Rob Zombie's Spookshow International (which I admittedly overpaid for due to all the FOMO hype (and still enjoy, but realize I will never be able to sell without taking a significant loss)).

I may want a Rick and Morty (Standard) of my own some day, but am waiting to play first. Additionally, I wish I'd bought one so I could flip it now and laugh all the way to the bank (unless it lands on my toe after I flip it).

#2 4 years ago
download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

BSE #750 was the prize for a raffle... so none of the options above.

#4 4 years ago

Look to the past to predict the future. No spooky is selling over original msrp even the mighty tna has cooled off. Most likely rick and morty will be the same.

#5 4 years ago

I think you guys are severely underestimating the truly limited nature of this machine and also the extreme popularity of the theme. Combined with one of the top 2 designers in the game (Elwin the other). I don't see this thing doing anything other than appreciating slowly over time.

Pirates is pretty flawed imo, and could possibly have another run, and look whats happening there.

You can't really compare any other Spooky titles or even modern pinball releases as a whole. We've never seen a truly (100%) limited release like this with such a popular theme/designer.

This thing is going to generate insane money on location, just for starters. Every serious operators gonna want a couple.

The deposit alone for game #680 just sold for over 3k. This game is already worth 2k over retail, and I don't see a scenario where the demand for this game goes down. Unless the game is actually mediocre, but what are the odds of that happening considering the people behind it?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

BSE #750 was the prize for a raffle... so none of the options above.

Changed the # in the title, but don’t think I can change the # in the poll.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

I think you guys are severely underestimating the truly limited nature of this machine and also the extreme popularity of the theme. Combined with one of the top 2 designers in the game (Elwin the other). I don't see this thing doing anything other than appreciating slowly over time.
Pirates is pretty flawed imo, and could possibly have another run, and look whats happening there.
You can't really compare any other Spooky titles or even modern pinball releases as a whole. We've never seen a truly (100%) limited release like this with such a popular theme/designer.
This thing is going to generate insane money on location, just for starters. Every serious operators gonna want a couple.
The deposit alone for game #680 just sold for over 3k. This game is already worth 2k over retail, and I don't see a scenario where the demand for this game goes down. Unless the game is actually mediocre, but what are the odds of that happening considering the people behind it?

When did those 2 become the top 2 designers in the game? Keith has came out with 2 nice designs and 1 was basically a copy of his homebrew but we need to see how he does once he gets to pins 3.4.5.6 and so on. Scott has tna and rick and Morty...tna is ok but nothing extraordinary (not my type of pin),and r@m no one really knows to much about yet as they just started shipping. We shall see where things go but people were paying crazy numbers for rob zombie and tna at the beginning also and you can get them at a huge discount now. We will see where things are in 6-8 months once people actually get to play the game.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

When did those 2 become the top 2 designers in the game? Keith has came out with 2 nice designs and 1 was basically a copy of his homebrew but we need to see how he does once he gets to pins 3.4.5.6 and so on. Scott has tna and rick and Morty...tna is ok but nothing extraordinary (not my type of pin),and r@m no one really knows to much about yet as they just started shipping. We shall see where things go but people were paying crazy numbers for rob zombie and tna at the beginning also and you can get them at a huge discount now. We will see where things are in 6-8 months once people actually get to play the game.

I was waiting for the part where you tell me who the better designers are at the moment. I don't feel the old guard qualifies as honestly, even Wonka we've seen before in many forms.

TnA was a tremendous game-changer, despite your low opinion of it. Put spooky on the map and was a great success, especially considering its humble origins. Considering Elwin had arguably the best game last year (maiden), and the best game this year (jp), I don't know how you don't at least put him in the Top 2.

And again, i don't think you can compare a theme like rick & morty with a designer like danesi to rob zombie (crap game sorry) or tna (no theme or limit).

If they had said we're only gonna make 400 tna's, I think we'd see a similar slow appreciation value.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

I was waiting for the part where you tell me who the better designers are at the moment. I don't feel the old guard qualifies as honestly, even Wonka we've seen before in many forms.
TnA was a tremendous game-changer, despite your low opinion of it. Put spooky on the map and was a great success, especially considering its humble origins. Considering Elwin had arguably the best game last year (maiden), and the best game this year (jp), I don't know how you don't at least put him in the Top 2.

I believe all designer's have something great to offer for someone... people like different things. My favorite pins are wonka and di and I think the design and toys are awesome and the games are some of the best flowing and smoothest games I've ever played and owned. Many people like richie pins bc of flow . I don't believe there is a best but it is nice to see fresh ideas from the new blood but let's see how long that continues as they just started which is y they are hot at the moment.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

I think you guys are severely underestimating the truly limited nature of this machine and also the extreme popularity of the theme.

Only game in town, considering the rest of the pinball themes from the last 5-20 years.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I believe all designer's have something great to offer for someone... people like different things. My favorite pins are wonka and di and I think the design and toys are awesome and the games are some of the best flowing and smoothest games I've ever played and owned. Many people like richie pins bc of flow . I don't believe there is a best but it is nice to see fresh ideas from the new blood but let's see how long that continues as they just started which is y they are hot at the moment.

Completely. Love DI & Wonka as well, smooth as silk. Wonka probably my favorite from 2019 without a doubt. Lawlor & Ritchie are probably top 2 or 3 all time but was just kinda referring to the last couple of years.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Look to the past to predict the future. No spooky is selling over original msrp even the mighty tna has cooled off. Most likely rick and morty will be the same.

Jjp

Woz less than original
Hobbit less than original
Di less than original
Potc more than original

Could be the same with Spooky fourth times the charm?

#13 4 years ago

C'mon Monkey DI was totally original. And a total fail outta the gate. But WOW, what a machine.

#14 4 years ago

I can’t say what other people’s machines will go for, but mine is priceless.

#15 4 years ago

Yeah,Coindork,all34 of them?

#16 4 years ago

I am #384 and the biggest Rick and Morty cheerleader out there. Fully optioned out (minus butter), I'll be at about $8,000 in for my pin, plus whatever tax and shipping work out to be. In 2023, I am guessing my pin will be worth about $6,500 on the second hand market... and you know... I'm okay with that. I'm not buying this pin as an investment. I have broken even or made money on (almost) all my used pins, but am not looking to turn a profit on this. Will I make money on this one? Probably not. Will I have an amount of fun equal to or greater than the amount of money I spend on this? Yes! If I averaged jus 10 minutes a day having fun with this machine for 3 years, my fun would cost me about $10 an hour. If I went to a bar to play pinball, would I come away spending more or less? Would I get to go as much? My pinball/arcade fun time is from 0530-0600 every morning... will I find a bar with those hours that has pins? If I dropped $2,000 on a new computer or TV... what would it be worth in 3 years?

Long story short, I'm pretty sure this pin will still be worth $6,500 plus in 3 years. Would I spend $2,000 for 3 years worth of fun? Yes! What other toys can you buy that do that?

#17 4 years ago

You can't have a conjecture poll 18 months into the future without putting in an option for the bubble bursting due to the impending recession and all machines selling for pennies in the dollar

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You can't have a conjecture poll 18 months into the future without putting in an option for the bubble bursting due to the impending recession and all machines selling for pennies in the dollar

I was actually thinking about that this last night in a different context... I am considering a home addition (plus redoing the roof and exterior on existing house so everything matches up nicely) and I keep going back and forth between "do it now while you have the $$$ and can get favorable loan terms" and "do with cash on hand 6 months into the recession when contractors are desperate for work."

I think we're probably good through 2020, but suspect end of 2021 or beginning of 2022 we will see some fire sales on pins and a lot of other "toys."

Not sure I want to wait that long for my home improvements though.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

No way. Rick and Morty and Spooky are immune to the next depression and other sicknesses from China.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

"do it now while you have the $$$ and can get favorable loan terms" and "do with cash on hand 6 months into the recession when contractors are desperate for work."

You will be waiting a while if you choose the later.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

And again, i don't think you can compare a theme like rick & morty with a designer like danesi to rob zombie (crap game sorry) or tna (no theme or limit).
If they had said we're only gonna make 400 tna's, I think we'd see a similar slow appreciation value.

I would definitely agree with Keith, but I would put Eric ahead of Scott. What he did with JJP Pirates, especially for a first outing was amazing and dwarfs the effort of a modern take on a system 7 game IMHO.

Quoted from donkadelic:

When looking at projected sale value and potential earnings, you have to take the past into effect in my opinion. No Spooky games have ever appreciated in value, in fact a game like Zombie is hard to give away at rock bottom prices. That and Spooky games historically are not great earners, cost a premium over a Stern Pro and are more of a pain to keep running in location environment. I know of only one op locally here that is in on Rick and Morty and that is because he is on everything. Obviously there can be a first time for everything, but right or wrong, no other ops here have any interest in operating a Spooky game.

#22 4 years ago

The final BSE is #711 ( PinBackpacker ). #749 is a Standard Edition ( floyd1977 ).

#23 4 years ago

Are the first 711 all BSE?

It would be hilarious if the SEs end up being worth more due to rarity!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

The standard edition of every JJP game is also the most rare version but that doesn't seem to bolster the price.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Rick and Morty has something no other game from any manufacturer has... Rick and Morty!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

C'mon Monkey DI was totally original. And a total fail outta the gate. But WOW, what a machine.

I think Monkey meant DI is now selling less than original MSRP.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Presumably from the polling done on Pinsiders in the other thread. There were 16 Standard Editions claimed.

STANDARDS (16 owned)

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I think Monkey meant DI is now selling less than original MSRP.

Yup. You're right my guy.
aannnddd......VODKA!

#29 4 years ago

Maybe you can start a new poll for #748 because #749 isn't going anywhere.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

No. I know at least one distributor (mine) that didn't assign Standards to numbers above all the BSEs, because their allotment had no numbers above #560 or so. But I think it's pretty safe to say that there are going to be only 10% or so Standards out there when this is over.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Extreme popularity?
Never seen a release like this?
Insane money in location?

Jesus. Sounds like you need to settle down a bit, we have like 14 years to go until all of these precious machines are actually produced...

#32 4 years ago

standard #546 reporting for duty, but yes it will be built at the tail end of everything

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Maybe you can start a new poll for #748 because #749 isn't going anywhere.

Yay!

But aren’t you curious whether the ones leading up to #748 will still be seeing close to 100% markups?

1 month later
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I was actually thinking about that this last night in a different context... I am considering a home addition (plus redoing the roof and exterior on existing house so everything matches up nicely)

Speaking of changing times, home addition is off for 2020. Might still get a new roof and exterior though. Suspect I will now be able to get a much cheaper price on that in May or June than I was previously quoted last summer.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Changed the # in the title, but don’t think I can change the # in the poll.

We understand the intent, regardless of Conehead semantics.

At the end of the day it’s just a pin. Timing turned out horrible through no fault of their own. Spooky Or someone else will release another hit theme and the cycle will start again. No offense to Anyone but R&M is ok, not great, but immersive and fun. Not feeling any overwhelming magic on it. Results and opinions may vary. Contents packed by weight, not volume. Batteries not included.

#36 4 years ago

Standard #628 here.

1 year later
#37 2 years ago

Production run is coming to a close and these are still priced well above retail.

Looks like I was totally wrong about this one.

#38 2 years ago

I paid $2K over MSRP for 740 so they’re out there.

8 months later
#39 2 years ago

How many where made ..?

#40 2 years ago

#41 2 years ago

This game is very special the theme is awesome and call outs really put it over the top! I always tell people that there is more to this game than the sum of its parts and after they play it, they get it. No matter how bad of a day I’m having or how scary of medical news I’m waiting on, when I play a game of Rick and Morty I Forget about my problems and I’m always laughing as I play.
Mine will never leave my house as I have already willed it to my daughter.

R&M game #1

Forever grateful to the Spooky team!

1 week later
#42 2 years ago

Amazing what happened over the last two years .. who knows the the next two years will t bring

1 month later
#43 2 years ago

Well... they are going for $12,500 - $13,000 now used so...

#44 2 years ago

Not true. I couldn’t move mine for $10k (basically what I had into it) locally several months back. Ended up selling it off to route.

Had some offers from Germany but I didn’t wanna deal with that. I suppose I could’ve just sat for a while until a buyer came along, but after two weeks or so I just gave up.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

several months back

That was a different market than todays market.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 13,500.00
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 210.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 300.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/conjecture-how-much-over-msrp-will-rick-amp-morty-750-go-for-poll?hl=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.