Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
20191227_121903 (resized).jpg
RZRAM.png
fans (resized).jpg
R&M Flippers (resized).PNG

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

First congrats on Rick and Morty from spooky. The theme is current and I love that frigging company. Seems a huge win.

Then I saw "sold out"

Now I know I will be playing this game myself locally. But it made me wonder. Why is it sold out.

I understand (mostly) but why put a top number on the title at all, except perhaps a c e.

Anyways again Congrats it seems the goal was achieved already at this point. Before I even got to drop a quarter in it.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Why is it sold out.

Simple, Spooky is only producing/had license to make 750 pins. They sold out in <4h. This is 50% more pins than any other game from them. You can close the thread now.

#3 4 years ago

Let's also throw out there that this is the first licensed pinball theme yet to hit the height of it's popularity since maybe the 90s.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let's also throw out there that this is the first licensed pinball theme yet to hit the height of it's popularity since maybe the 90s.

That's just not true...although you probably have some o-din logic that explains it

#5 4 years ago

Bc they are a small company and it will take 18+ months from now to finish the 750 ordered . That is a long time to stay on one title and im sure the licensing runs out at some point also. Spooky knows what they are doing ... just let them do their thing.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's just not true...although you probably have some o-din logic that explains it

I was looking for other examples but couldn't come up with any.

Unless you include TV shows that are winding down after many years or movies that already made their money at the box offce and are on DVD or VCR once the game is released. Certainly can't come up with any of the music pins.

Please educate us.

#7 4 years ago

Spooky is Great!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was looking for other examples but couldn't come up with any.
Unless you include TV shows that are winding down after many years or movies that already made their money at the box offce and are now on DVD or VCR.
Please educate us.

Walking Dead came out during season 4 of the show I believe, Still very much on it's way up or near the top.
Avengers came out in 2012 which I believe is the same year as the movie.

jcg9998 mentioned GOT which for sure was at it's height
Family guy was still cooking...I mean it's still on 15 years later

#9 4 years ago

I'd say that Game of Thrones was at the peak of it's popularity when it came out.

#10 4 years ago

Fair enough, although I don't know if Avengers came out to coincide with the movies release, it's not like either of the other two shows weren't very well known and on their way up when the game was released.

I guess you could argue any of the rock pins that have more fans now than they did when they made the music that appears on them.

#11 4 years ago

So what you are really saying is that this is the first game since the 90's that hasn't yet hit it's peak popularity...that makes more sense.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

So what you are really saying is that this is the first game since the 90's that hasn't yet hit it's peak popularity...that makes more sense.

That's exactly what I said, I thought.

And not that pinside is a good representation of the general population, but the amount of people here that said they had never heard of it, might go very well in line with the general population.

It's still a cult thing, but has a rabid following and soon will enter mainstream conciousness. Pinball is ahead of that on this one.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

I think the legend of R&M not being popular yet should die a cold death

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think the legend of R&amp;M not being popular yet should die a cold death

Anything that could prove my observations correct, should be given a quick and painful death.

#15 4 years ago

But...why did you need to create a thread just for this question? Any other of the R&M threads easily could had answered this for you.

#16 4 years ago

Because I would like the real answer.

#17 4 years ago

I thought I might get that here. Not yet.

#18 4 years ago

If a game is at the height of its popularity, why not sell more? I feel like I'm missing some detail here.

#19 4 years ago

Also, I create threads for my questions, that's what I do.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Simple, Spooky is only producing/had license to make 750 pins. They sold out in &lt;4h. This is 50% more pins than any other game from them. You can close the thread now.

Based on what's already for sale on the pinside market, they sold out so fast because people put pre-orders down on machines they are trying to sell their spot for a profit on.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Also, I create threads for my questions, that's what I do.

You also create a separate post for every thought that comes to mind....I noticed.

#22 4 years ago

The real answer is actually in the main thread...you should probably read it. From the beginning.

#23 4 years ago

The answer is that Spooky is in a small town and people depend on them for jobs. They can’t just make 3000 machines of a popular title...as that would take them six years to build. What would the rest of the company do in that period of time?

They’re growing slowly, selling more of each title than the previous. If they have too big of a hit, they risk layoffs when the next title isn’t as popular, or no work for the design team while they spend years manufacturing.

They’re running a sustainable, slow-growth, built for the long-term company.

#24 4 years ago

If spooky sells out their pins this fast going forward they will need to figure out how to pump them out as fast as stern. Stranger things will be announced soon and they will probably produce 750 in the first month or two. I though I heard at full production they can do do 15-20 a day. I love acnc but it’s not sold out yet and took a year plus to make ~500

#25 4 years ago

The question is "why is it sold out"?

The answer is that demand was greater than supply (750).

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

If spooky sells out their pins this fast going forward they will need to figure out how to pump them out as fast as stern.

Why?

Quoted from Happy81724:

Stranger things will be announced soon and they will probably produce 750 in the first month or two. I though I heard at full production they can do do 15-20 a day.

So. Why should Spooky be concerned with that? Stern could make 750 games a day and that wouldn't make a difference to Spooky.

I don't understand the point of your entire post.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Walking Dead came out during season 4 of the show I believe, Still very much on it's way up or near the top.
Avengers came out in 2012 which I believe is the same year as the movie.
jcg9998 mentioned GOT which for sure was at it's height
Family guy was still cooking...I mean it's still on 15 years later

Avengers for sure. I wish they'd release an Infinity Saga pin. Dream theme for me. Iron Man is another that increased. Came out in 2010 with elements of the first 2 movies in it. In the summer of 2013, Iron Man 3 made more worldwide box office than both 1 and 2 combined. GOT climbed higher in ratings setting new series records in the subsequent 3 seasons post 2015 game release. I'd put Spider-Man in this category too, though this has more to do with the character in general than the original movie trilogy gaining more steam post-2007 pinball release. Either way, this is an interesting topic that I never really thought about. Wonder where Sopranos falls into this?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

Based on what's already for sale on the pinside market, they sold out so fast because people put pre-orders down on machines they are trying to sell their spot for a profit on.

So your saying the reason they sold out so fast is due to flippers? So how many of the 750 bought just to resell for more money? So your saying the flippers know that this will be worth a lot more money due to what? You see where im going with this, i hope

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

But...why did you need to create a thread just for this question? Any other of the R&amp;M threads easily could had answered this for you.

because we need more threads about this game. 20 just ain't enough!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

So your saying the reason they sold out so fast is due to flippers? So how many of the 750 bought just to resell for more money? So your saying the flippers know that this will be worth a lot more money due to what? You see where im going with this, i hope

It's a given there was buyers to just flip, but I doubt it would have mattered in the grand scheme of things. It might have just taken a few more hours.

What we didn't know up front was the 100 or so that were already spoken for which actually makes the pool for buyers and flippers even smaller. What is funny is that many of those 100 or so games will probably never get opened or played for a decade.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

There are literally ads for thousands of dollars for pre-order spots at the bottom of this thread.

R&M Flippers (resized).PNGR&M Flippers (resized).PNG
#32 4 years ago

Rob Zombie sold out too. Only 300 were made, values before shipping skyrocketed (some to $9k) and have now tanked. Same thing could happen to Rick and Morty but I doubt it (or at least not as bad) as Rick and Morty is a more popular theme and the playfield looks 10x better then the one on RZ.

#33 4 years ago

I would actually say RZ is a more popular theme than R&M but should have come out a decade ago.

#34 4 years ago

The 2 million people who watch every episode might disagree.

fans (resized).jpgfans (resized).jpg
#35 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Why?

So. Why should Spooky be concerned with that? Stern could make 750 games a day and that wouldn't make a difference to Spooky.
I don't understand the point of your entire post.

Point is money talks, they didn’t sell out acnc. It’s taking a year to make rick and Morty. If they can get 2 or 3 hits sold out a year by making pins faster i bet they will do it. In the end they would make more money and have happier customers because a ton complain about the wait.

I would buy another spooky pin next year if one is released. I love my ACNC.

My stern point is pinball companies are making more pins so it can be done. There is a playbook there and spooky can copy it.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

because we need more threads about this game. 20 just ain't enough!

I agree with your sarcasm but I do get a sick kick out of it. I feel this is payback for all of those damn rock band games and it is oh so sweet.

#37 4 years ago

My god this game is going to be worth so much $$$$$$

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

But...why did you need to create a thread just for this question? Any other of the R&amp;M threads easily could had answered this for you.

The real answer is that OP has a brain injury that causes him to post a new thread for every thought that crosses his mind.

#39 4 years ago

On the other hand, it just shows how much interest in this game there is :p

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I would actually say RZ is a more popular theme than R&M but should have come out a decade ago.

If you want to hit RZ's peak popularity you gotta go back two full decades. But today? It's not even close, R&M more popular by like a factor of ten.

#41 4 years ago

One of Charlie's (owner of Spooky Pinball) responses about this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rick-amp-morty-pinball-from-spooky/page/42#post-5350177

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

But today? It's not even close, R&M more popular by like a factor of ten.

Turns out I was way off; it's a factor of forty.

RZRAM.pngRZRAM.png
#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I thought I might get that here. Not yet.

Tons of people have honestly and factually answered your question.

Why are you being dismissive? What answer did you want?

Facts:

1. Amazing beloved theme
2. Amazing beloved designer
3. Limited number

These are the reasons it sold out.

As to why the limited number: Spooky is a small boutique company. This is the number they can build within the parameters of their business model.

#44 4 years ago

CrazyLevi one more for the list!

#45 4 years ago

lots of great speculation here.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Bc they are a small company and it will take 18+ months from now to finish the 750 ordered . That is a long time to stay on one title and im sure the licensing runs out at some point also. Spooky knows what they are doing ... just let them do their thing.

Well said!

2 weeks later
#47 4 years ago
20191227_121903 (resized).jpg20191227_121903 (resized).jpg
#48 4 years ago

why sold out.
Easy.
Speculation buyers/would be scalpers

#49 4 years ago

Hi,AZ,I'm in for one as well,and I'll yell you why!! I'm tired of Sterns ideas(1) R&M are a fun idea and adult(2)I really enjoy my RZ(3)Limited amount(4)Pisses off everyone who didn't get one(5)The last Stern title I was waiting 4 yrs for turned out to be a crappy retheme!! Houdini was a disappointment,and I think Sherlock Holmes will be also! A Led Zeppelin pin as also dead,good band, bad theme for a pin! Seen them so many times!!Thats why I bought a R&M!!! AZ,C U at Camp Silverball.G.S.P.F 2020!!!!

#50 4 years ago

Of all the R&M threads that have been started, this is the most Jerry of them all.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/QvH2Em7M2kb04VEOG2" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p> via GIPHY</p>

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 210.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congrats-on-rick-and-morty-but?hl=smsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.