P1070741.jpg
P1070728.jpg
P1060480.jpg
20140510_175941_resized.jpg
image-867.jpg
14109077084_612aefa32e_o.jpg
14085547946_03736bb0d5_o.jpg
14105601372_e33bc93b71_o.jpg
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I was curious what mods owners might have done to their games, i.e., Playfield, Translite, Amy Gorilla LEDs & Flashers, Sound system (speaker) upgrades, playfield toys, etc. Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

LEDs look great in it if done right (green in the jungle areas). Also upgrading speakers really make the sound pop. I always thought it would be cool to put the TZ plane on Congo to the side of the ramp since when you hit it you hear the propellers of a plane. Anyone ever do that?

#3 11 years ago

I was thinking sound upgrade for sure, speakers are original 17-18 years old now.. I looked up the plane used in the Movie, It is a silver (Congo airways) Douglass DC-3. I think it would look cool sitting above the flat plastic picture. Now where to find it? Somes folks I understand extra Red LEDs and LED flashers under the Volcano.

#5 11 years ago

Yeouch!!

#6 11 years ago

Hahhaa, yea that's why I never ended up doing it.

#7 11 years ago

Little rubber hippo next to the pop bumpers (above the H I P P O letters).
LED under the blue "Perimeter Defense" insert (attacking ape).
Black pearl pinball in the lower playfield.
Volcano spews ash when it erupts.

(kidding about the last one)

I've been looking for the right scale model cargo plane myself. Let me know if you find one!

#8 11 years ago

I haven't decided on any mods besides adding the stickers on top of the metal portion behind the flippers and green 47s(incandescant) for the bumpers and yellow for the spotlight.
Not sure abot LEDs. I've heard conflicting views and after changing the bumpers made me hesitate on coloring the rest of the GIs and have bright lights with a dim playfield.
Also I was told I would need to change all GI lighting to LED if I wanted to go that route due to the LED acting like a diode.Wondering how accurate this is. Not sure if I want to dedicate the whole playfield to LEDs. I just saw a pic with mix matched for inserts...
Maybe light the ramps with a green led strip.
Is it just G.I. lights?
A better sub would be nice
I have a rain forest native(sugar glider) I could throw in.

#9 11 years ago

Congo looks GREAT stock. The Only mods that would that could be useful are the Speaker upgrade(as the sounds is killer on this pin) and LED Lighting looks awesome. I could never figure out why people want to junk up thier games with figures and crap like that. I admit there are mods that look awesome in certain games, but thats just not my style.

#10 11 years ago

I think it was Phoebe who posted a month or so ago about I light mod under the volcano. Sounded pretty cool

#11 11 years ago

I probably will do some color matched LEDs under the inserts like the Purple Hippo inserts, etc., and see how that looks first. I got two sets of the Green stickers from Treasure Cove for the return lanes. Will do both top and lower deck. I have the game torn down and I am about to do a polish on the playfield. It cleaned up nice using LA awesome Orange cleaner (only $1.00 a bottle at Dollar Tree Store). Doing a complete shop out underneath and regraining all metal guides. Berry Polisher is working overtime.. Driving the wife nuts...

where do you get a "black Pearl" pinball? Same size and weight as a regular one?

Congo_IMG-20120624-00091[2].JPGCongo_IMG-20120624-00091[2].JPG

#12 11 years ago

Black Pinball in mini-playfield is a great idea. I will have to try it

#14 11 years ago

It would be nice if they made a "White Diamond" pinball. HAHAHA!

#15 11 years ago

On my Congo, I added full Cointaker LEDs... The backbox has cool white supers to brighten up the translight. Inserts are color matched, but under the milky white ones I added colors. I swapped out the pop bumper caps for purple ones, and I have purple LEDs under the hippo inserts. I added blue LEDs behind the AMY ramp so that Amy is lit up and you can see her better...I also added a color changing LED under the entrance to the MAP ramp... and 4 color changing flex LEDs under the volcano to give the volcano some color, and it makes it look like it is moving (like lava flowing). I swapped out the 555 bulbs in the GREY lower PF with 555 flex orange LEDs so they can be positioned to not shine in the players eyes but they show up real well.
I have the lower lane guide decals but I haven't put them on yet. I have green flipper rubbers and green sling shot rubbers on it.
It really looked cool with my AFM color DMD in it set to green, but that would be a bit expensive to get one to go in it set to 1 color... But I seriously thought about it!!!
I always thought a shaker motor would be cool in it for when the volcano erupts into multiball...I need to look into trying that...
Congo is a great game!!

Phoebe

#16 11 years ago

I was at a pin party last night and John Trudeau was there (Congo designer). Great time speaking with him and hearing some tales from the industry. Very personable guy and a pleasure to chew the pin fat with. Also at table was Stan Fukuoka who did the artwork on BBB, Breakshot and King Pin. More pin history.

John pointed out that the layout for Congo is very similar to Tron. Darn if he isn't right!

#17 11 years ago

Phoebe's volcano lighting does look great and the flex LEDs in the lower playfield makes the lower play area look much, much better.

What Congo really needs is at least a small dose of Bruce Campbell. He was in the movie...and not even a sound bite or picture on a plastic?

#18 11 years ago

Phoebe, I'd love to see pics or a video of your Congo.

Shadow, the first time I played Tron, I thought the exact same thing - "this is Congo!" Of course Congo is in a class by itself.

#19 11 years ago

Get the Black Pearl balls from the source and save some money (as well as shipping costs) http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

I have tons of LEDs in mine, brand new ramps, and just added the lane guide decals. I also had it autographed by John Trudeau, Dean Grover and Ernie Hudson on a NOS translite. Here's a blurry photo of the decals. The LEDs look fantastic in person. I did them at the Rocky Mountain Showdown last year at the Cointaker booth. We just hung out and tried out bulbs all day. It was really cool.

CIMG3417.JPGCIMG3417.JPG

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Shadow, The first time I played Tron, I thought the exact same thing - "this is Congo!" Of course Congo is in a class by itself.

Can't say enough about how great it was to listen to Trudeau talk about his experiences, the design process, the Forbidden Planet project, etc.

#21 11 years ago

i filled mine with leds. but i picked the leds one by one, didnt buy a led kit. so i could put the colors i wanted.
green gi leds looks really cool on some jungle areas. and red on the volcano.
the purple on the hippo lights look awesome also.
congo is a really nice game to put leds, cuzz it puts the game so much nicer

check em here:

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Shadow, The first time I played Tron, I thought the exact same thing - "this is Congo!" Of course Congo is in a class by itself.

I will try to get some pics for you...I am not real good with video though (maybe DugFreez can help me out with that one??)

Phoebe

#23 11 years ago

I have a Congo and absolutely LOVE the pin. Got mine from coasterguy and he LED the pin out to the max before I bought it. Thanks John Boy! I did put a diecast DC10 Plane over the ramp near the Amy head. I got it from diecastdirect.com and I think it looks great there. I also put a gorilla figure near the Amy lanes. The figure came from a company called "Schleich" and they are really detailed.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

I have tons of LEDs in mine, brand new ramps, and just added the lane guide decals.

That green does look cool, what kind/color bulbs are those exactly, doesn't look like the greens I am used to seeing, almost looks fluorescent?

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

That green does look cool, what kind/color bulbs are those exactly, doesn't look like the greens I am used to seeing, almost looks fluorescent?

They are Cointaker super brights: http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=60

The whole game is done in super brights.

#26 11 years ago

Diamond shooter rod, Congo gorilla figure, custom rules cards and green post sleeves.

congo11.jpgcongo11.jpg congo2.jpgcongo2.jpg

#27 11 years ago

Like the green post sleeves.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from KPM19:

Yea I agree those look great on Congo.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from KPM19:

Yeah, I'm diggin' those too.

#30 11 years ago

I'm really digging the 44s on my Congo...they bring out the orange in the playfield.

#31 11 years ago

ebay.com link: TWO ANIMATED CHIMPANZEES MONKEY REMOTE CONTROL SHARPER IMAGE THESE LOOK REAL
I bought one of these from Sears a few years back on sale for $25 ,regular price was over $100.
It comes with a huge remote to control every feature and sound, or put it on alive mode and it will follow you with his head and eyes, and interact with you! Would make a perfect topper!!!

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

ebay.com link: TWO ANIMATED CHIMPANZEES MONKEY REMOTE CONTROL SHARPER IMAGE THESE LOOK REAL
I bought one of these from Sears a few years back on sale for $25 ,regular price was over $100.
It comes with a huge remote to control every feature and sound, or put it on alive mode and it will follow you with his head and eyes, and interact with you! Would make a perfect topper!!!

The perfect topper... if you never want to fall asleep again. Those things look creepy as hell.

#33 11 years ago

hmmm.... those green post sleeves look kinda nice! i am getting some too!!

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Get the Black Pearl balls from the source and save some money (as well as shipping costs) http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm
I have tons of LEDs in mine, brand new ramps, and just added the lane guide decals. I also had it autographed by John Trudeau, Dean Grover and Ernie Hudson on a NOS translite. Here's a blurry photo of the decals. The LEDs look fantastic in person. I did them at the Rocky Mountain Showdown last year at the Cointaker booth. We just hung out and tried out bulbs all day. It was really cool.

Where did you get the stickers that cover the metal inlanes? Have images so I can print my own?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Where did you get the stickers that cover the metal inlanes? Have images so I can print my own?

I got them from: http://treasure-cove.net/Congo.htm

I don't have an image to print your own. They look decent. The decals are kinda thin and rubbery, so it was very difficult to get them just right without wrinkling the stickers, but they were easy to remove and try again. Took a couple weeks to ship, also.

#36 11 years ago

I hate ordering from treasure cove due to having to mail in a check. I'll figure out how to print my own.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I have a Congo and absolutely LOVE the pin. Got mine from coasterguy and he LED the pin out to the max before I bought it. Thanks John Boy! I did put a diecast DC10 Plane over the ramp near the Amy head. I got it from diecastdirect.com and I think it looks great there. I also put a gorilla figure near the Amy lanes. The figure came from a company called "Schleich" and they are really detailed.

I miss congo Scary..... Keep her nice for when I get to buy her back!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I hate ordering from treasure cove due to having to mail in a check. I'll figure out how to print my own.

Oh yeah... I forgot about the check. I guess it took so long because they were waiting for the $16 to clear. Either way, it makes the game look nicer... I'd recommend them.

#39 11 years ago

I have a Congo and Road Show for sale if anyone is interested. Haven't posted the Congo on Pinside yet as I'd refer to sell the Road Show but would consider both.

#40 11 years ago

Here is a small video that shows the color change flexes I added under the volcano and MAP ramp entrance...as well as the blue LEDs I added behind AMY.

Here is a pic of the orange flex LEDs under the GREY mini PF.

Thanks to DugFreez for doing the video for me...
Phoebe

DSC03678-1.JPGDSC03678-1.JPG

#41 11 years ago

Nice Phoebe! Volcano looks awesome

#42 11 years ago

Can you be more specific on which bulbs you added behind the volcano? They don't look like normal cointaker color changers.

#43 11 years ago

LOL!!
I guess that might help if I splained it a bit more!! Sorry bout that...It ended up being a bit tougher than I originally thought...
I thought I could just add 4 555 sockets so I could add 4 flex slow color changing bulbs...but because of that plastic that sits under the volcano and in order to get the sockets placed where I wanted them, I ended up having to cut a small piece of wood (ripped a square piece off a 2X4) it is about 2 or 3 inches long and about 1/2 by 1/2 inch square. I have it mounted to the PF with an L bracket which mounts to the PF in a lane guide screw so I didn't have to drill any new holes in the PF. I had to enlarge 1 of the holes in the plastic so the piece of wood would fit through the plastic. Then after I had that mounted, I screwed 4 555 sockets to the piece of wood and soldered the wires to existing GI...then I positioned the flex LEDs best I could so they would show up all over the volcano to give it some movement, like lava flowing. It ended up being a bit more work than I had planned, but I really like the way it looks when done!! I am thinking about bringing it to Expo again this year so maybe you can see it in person!

Phoebe

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

LOL!!
I guess that might help if I splained it a bit more!! Sorry bout that...It ended up being a bit tougher than I originally thought...
I thought I could just add 4 555 sockets so I could add 4 flex slow color changing bulbs...but because of that plastic that sits under the volcano and in order to get the sockets placed where I wanted them, I ended up having to cut a small piece of wood (ripped a square piece off a 2X4) it is about 2 or 3 inches long and about 1/2 by 1/2 inch square. I have it mounted to the PF with an L bracket which mounts to the PF in a lane guide screw so I didn't have to drill any new holes in the PF. I had to enlarge 1 of the holes in the plastic so the piece of wood would fit through the plastic. Then after I had that mounted, I screwed 4 555 sockets to the piece of wood and soldered the wires to existing GI...then I positioned the flex LEDs best I could so they would show up all over the volcano to give it some movement, like lava flowing. It ended up being a bit more work than I had planned, but I really like the way it looks when done!! I am thinking about bringing it to Expo again this year so maybe you can see it in person!
Phoebe

Is there any chance you could take a picture of it with the volcano plastic off? This sounds very well done and it sure looked great.

#45 11 years ago

I am not sure how soon I will be taking the volcano off again...it isn't the easiest to remove, and I am not planning on doing it again here soon...hopefully (fingers crossed) I will snap some next time I have the volcano off...but not sure when that will be.

Phoebe

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I am not sure how soon I will be taking the volcano off again...it isn't the easiest to remove, and I am not planning on doing it again here soon...hopefully (fingers crossed) I will snap some next time I have the volcano off...but not sure when that will be.
Phoebe

Ok. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the awesome idea.

1 month later
#47 11 years ago

These aren't really mods but I thought you might like them? IMG_2128.JPGIMG_2128.JPG

#48 11 years ago

IMG_2134.JPGIMG_2134.JPG

#49 11 years ago

lol

just bought my green post sleeves hehehe will try it out

#50 11 years ago

Gorilla will you please quit monkeying around!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-what-mods-have-you-done and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.