• 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I've narrowed it down to these 2 pins. Any thoughts? Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Well Congo is a fun game, I've not played X-Men, but I'm sure you could buy 2 or more Congo's for the price of 1 X-men.

#4 9 years ago

I've had Congo for almost three months now, and I also have WOZ and LOTR. I won't say those two machines are getting lonely because others play them. But I'm all about the gorillas. One of the most addictive, just-one-more feeling games I've ever played.

#5 9 years ago

Congo for me is the better pin. Have you played Xmen? it really is a game that you either love or hate. I liked my Magneto LE but something missing for me, not a Xmen fan for one and the callouts are brutal.

#6 9 years ago

Xmen of course...

#7 9 years ago

Xmen, no question.

#8 9 years ago

Owned Xmen Pro for a bit. I thought it was good, but not great. The Storm and Beast call outs were pretty bad. Fairly deep. Tight shots. Challenging. Excellent artwork.

IMO in the same league as TF, POTC, and Shrek/FG. Not in the same league as Tron, ACDC, LOTR.

Can't comment on Congo.

#9 9 years ago

Congo all the way. Do you want a WMS game that has been on the rise now that people know how great it is or a disposable Stern that was the biggest hype of all time and turned out to be a giant flop?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Congo all the way. Do you want a WMS game that has been on the rise now that people know how great it is or a disposable Stern that was the biggest hype of all time and turned out to be a giant flop?

I would rather have the better game. XMEN.

#11 9 years ago

My collection is around 30 games most the time and always in flux. Congo has survived the cut since 2007 with me. A friend of mine with a much smaller collection enjoyed mine and finally found one for himself. It lasted 6 months or so with him.

I've played Xmen and enjoyed it but not enough to bring one home.

You don't mention prices on either game. That's a big consideration. Lacking information I'll make a few assumptions and say Congo is more bang for the buck.

#12 9 years ago

Congo, for sure. Congo is probably my single favorite DMD pin, and has been for the past year. It's got one of the best playfield layouts, gameplay isn't linear (which I see as a nice change of pace,) and great music. Few other games come close, in my mind.

I've played Xmen several times, and it just feels like 275lbs of SOME pinball. It's decent, but I've never been wowed by it, even for a moment.

#13 9 years ago

Congo wins here. Xmen does nothing for me.

#14 9 years ago

Own(ed) them both..and I considered myself a B\W snob. You possibly picked my Worst VS Best game..or pretty darn close

Collecting diamonds got old real fast with Congo. Shoot Grey 4 times..bash flippers to play the lower playfield..repeat x5 gets you to super MB. Once I released super MB was 100 diamonds..I got there 4 of the next 5 games..then put it up for sale. The fact that it was a CQ (Private.. one owner since 97) Congo with perfect PF and non-fade cab couldn't convince me to keep it even with owning 30+ pins

Recruiting Heroes to battle the Villains never gets old. Stern brought back the mechanical ball lock, custom dots, hand draw PF with XM. It's a super deep game with a mini wizard mode to keep your attention during the long haul. The mini wizard mode Danger Room is so well done it revivals TV Wizard mode for my favorite mini. Shots are tight but rewarding...combos everywhere. MB start (LE) is probably my favorite next to maybe Mist MB. There are more custom dots in this game than any game I've attempted to colorized...and I've looked at almost all the Sterns

Xmen is the only pin I have setup right now at my house as the basement gets finished. I have a bunch of pins on loan...the rest folded up being stored. The game gets a real bad rap from the rookie coder Waison attempting his first game..and the pin basically not even keeping score when it was released\shipped. Of course you also had the horrible Iceman ramp issue that would just stop and dump a ball SDTM...all of which are fixed

Xmen wins in a battle of men VS boys

#15 9 years ago

Congo is fun to play!

But X-Men has so much more to offer. The rulesheet is pretty impressive at this time. Several multiballs, wizard modes, stacking options, combos,... and a nearly perfect layout with some tight and rewarding shots...

But! - Wolverine was not designed perfectly...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-wolverine-my-solution-to-a-crappy-part

Still, X-Men is the better player - especially in an home environment... so much more to do and explore!

#16 9 years ago

both are fun, but for my budget Congo wins every time.

Congo is a fantastic game and so completely different than so many others. I would say it is John T's best game and that is saying a lot as he has lots of really good games.

#17 9 years ago

Congo without question. One of the best games available from the classic Williams era.

#18 9 years ago

CONGO...if you can find one.

Phoebe

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Own(ed) them both..and I considered myself a B\W snob. You possibly picked my Worst VS Best game..or pretty darn close
Collecting diamonds got old real fast with Congo. Shot Grey 4 times..bash flippers to play the lower playfield..repeat x5 gets you to super MB. Once I released super MB was 100 diamonds..I got there 4 of the next 5 games..then put it up for sale. The fact that it was a CQ (Private.. one owner since 97) Congo with perfect PF and non-fade cab couldn't convince me to keep it even with owning 30+ pins
Recruiting Heroes to battle the Villains never gets old. Stern brought back the mechanical ball lock, custom dots, hand draw PF with XM. It's a super deep game with a mini wizard mode to keep your attention during the long haul. The mini wizard mode Danger Room is so well done it revivals TV Wizard mode for my favorite mini. Shots are tight but rewarding...combos everywhere. MB start (LE) is probably my favorite next to maybe Mist MB. There are more custom dots in this game than any game I've attempted to colorized...and I've looked at almost all the Sterns
Xmen is the only pin I have setup right now at my house as the basement gets finished. I have a bunch of pins on loan...the rest folded up being stored. The game gets a real bad rap from the rookie coder Waison attempting his first game..and the pin basically not even keeping score when it was released\shipped. Of course you also had the horrible Iceman ramp issue that would just stop and dump a ball SDTM...all of which are fixed
Xmen wins in a battle of men VS boys

you said it.

Took me a LONG time to warm up to XM, but now I think it's one of the better games around. Also, I don't mind the call outs, I actually like Beast and I think Storm is fantastic (go figure).

#20 9 years ago

Congo no contest. I simply have no love for Xmen as many of my pinball buds will attest to.

#21 9 years ago

X-Men for me. Like Congo a lot have had one 3 times but X-Men is bolted to the floor. So much more to do on X-Men makes it a keeper for me.

#22 9 years ago

Current score: Congo 11, X-Men 8...with one abstention (NorCalRealtor). This isn't turning out to be much help for you at all! Is there a place you can play both and see which one you like? Also, why don't you YouTube some gameplay vids and see if those help you out a bit.

#23 9 years ago

Thanks. I've played xmen and like it but have only played a couple games. I've never played congo but enjoy almost b/w games from that era. Not enough difference in price ($300) to matter in long run. Leaning towards xmen so I'm taking my kids to play it today! Thanks for the input.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

Thanks. I've played xmen and like it but have only played a couple games. I've never played congo but enjoy almost b/w games from that era. Not enough difference in price ($300) to matter in long run. Leaning towards xmen so I'm taking my kids to play it today! Thanks for the input.

Well, if there is only a $300 difference then you're probably making the right choice because the Congo is too high (or the X-Men is so low that you'd be dumb not to scoop it up). Do I think that it should cost more than X-Men? Yes. But the reality is that it doesn't and current market dictates that Congo should be $800-$1000 less than X-Men, so I don't think you're making the wrong call at all despite the fact that I think Congo is the superior game.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Well, if there is only a $300 difference then you're probably making the right choice because the Congo is too high (or the X-Men is so low that you'd be dumb not to scoop it up). Do I think that it should cost more than X-Men? Yes. But the reality is that it doesn't and current market dictates that Congo should be $800-$1000 less than X-Men, so I don't think you're making the wrong call at all despite the fact that I think Congo is the superior game.

Good point. I would argue that since Congo is the tougher one to get right now, he should jump on that, play the s**t out of it until he's tired of it, and swap it out for an X-Men. Can't argue with your pricing analysis, though!

#27 9 years ago

X-Men is a really challenging game that I have had 40 minute games on.
Congo is not nearly as challenging but way more fun to play. Balls get shot out of a volcano...

they are both good games, that could not be more different.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Balls get shot out of a volcano...

It's even better when you throw a shaker in there so the whole machine shakes when the volcano erupts.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from butch1:

Congo wins here. Xmen does nothing for me.

+1

Congo for the easy win!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Congo is not nearly as challenging but way more fun to play.

I just got a Junk Yard recently and love it in much the same way that I love Congo. It just has this intangible, endearing charm to it. Junk Yard, in particular, is just goofy fun. It has a spirit to it that the Stern games, although fun, lack. Think about the unlicensed later WPC-95 games (SS, AFM, JY, Totan, MM, NGG, CP, CV, CC, MB)- they are all very endearing games with a lot of charm and character to them. Even though Congo is technically a licensed theme, it's a license that nobody gave two craps about. So, what's left is just the game. And what a game it is. Again, the newer Sterns are fun, but they lack the charm, humor, and the intangibles of the WPC games. And this isn't even to mention the early 90's WPC. We all know about them. I'm just speaking of Congo's immediate contemporaries.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

I've narrowed it down to these 2 pins. Any thoughts? Thanks

XM is super deep and challenging, Congo is not, but it's a lot of fun to play. I had a Congo and I would get one again even though I have seen everything there is to see. I wouldn't pay what people are trying to get for them now though. I would really like an XM at some point. It's a great home use pin. It has a really good theme, dots, shots, deep ruleset. It's on my wishlist.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I just got a Junk Yard recently and love it in much the same way that I love Congo. It just has this intangible, endearing charm to it. Junk Yard, in particular, is just goofy fun. It has a spirit to it that the Stern games, although fun, lack. Think about the unlicensed later WPC-95 games (SS, AFM, JY, Totan, MM, NGG, CP, CV, CC, MB)- they are all very endearing games with a lot of charm and character to them. Even though Congo is technically a licensed theme, it's a license that nobody gave two craps about. So, what's left is just the game. And what a game it is. Again, the newer Sterns are fun, but they lack the charm, humor, and the intangibles of the WPC games. And this isn't even to mention the early 90's WPC. We all know about them. I'm just speaking of Congo's immediate contemporaries.

So much entirely agreed. There are some call outs that still crack me up from the WPC games, despite having heard them hundreds of times (for decades now).

Contrasted with...

TSPP is a good fun pinball game with plenty of depth. I'd gladly welcome one into my home. But as a fan of The Simpsons franchise (characters, stories, jokes, etc), TSPP is just a disappointment. Which is strange when you consider I can watch episodes of the show, know the joke coming, and still get a genuine belly laugh when it is delivered.

And to to take it even further, even though all the WPC games have flaws and warts (everything does), there is an additional fluidity, some kind of inherent timing, some kind of *artistry* with their DMD animations, call outs, light show, and music changes that just aren't found in Stern machines (I am no hater of Sterns, I love them too, I just don't love them as much or in the same way). It's that kind of stuff which will make difference to many people in *how long* they would enjoy playing a game, or if they would consider it a "keeper".

It's been a long long time since I plugged some quarters into Congo, so I don't remember much of the experience of playing it. But I've been playing a lot of X-men the past few weeks. It's fine. It's pinball. And I like playing pinball. I keep going back and sticking quarters in it to try to get a better score. That's about as much as I can say about it.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Congo and the B/W machines are to Super Mario World (and many 80s video games) as new machines are to Call of Duty. I think you hit the nail right on the head. The older games are wicked fun to play, not too deep, and ridiculously addictive. The newer games have more bling and deeper rules, but get tiresome faster.

#34 9 years ago

Yeah but who wants to play SuperMario World in 2014, STLE for me is way better than MM and Metallica kicks AFM and MB ass, sorry but thats how I feel. Those B/W games get just as boring as any Stern game or other modern pins. I would much rather play COD than guide a little Italian plumber through a cartoon maze.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah but who wants to play SuperMario World in 2014, STLE for me is way better than MM and Metallica kicks AFM and MB ass, sorry but thats how I feel. Those B/W games get just as boring as any Stern game or other modern pins. I would much rather play COD than guide a little Italian plumber through a cartoon maze.

Respect your opinion, of course (because there is clearly no right answer), but disagree wholeheartedly. It's funny that you use STLE as your example. If anything, that game is nothing if not bland. It's fast and flowy, but it is about the most charmless pin with the most drab personality out there, in my opinion. There's way more to do on just about any of the WPC-95 games.

#36 9 years ago

Man I want Congo and X-men now, and I'm not even in the market for a new pin lol

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Respect your opinion, of course (because there is clearly no right answer), but disagree wholeheartedly. It's funny that you use STLE as your example. If anything, that game is nothing if not bland. It's fast and flowy, but it is about the most charmless pin with the most drab personality out there, in my opinion. There's way more to do on just about any of the WPC-95 games.

I respect your opinion as well but to call STLE bland is crazy talk. You see and don't take this the wrong way but most B/W of the 90's feel geared towards children, bad humour, bad themes, fun yeah in the 90's but now most feel very outdated and after the likes of LORT's, Met, STLE, TRON I just can't take the jokey, cartoon like childishness of those 90's pins. I tried to get into MM but beside STLE it just didn't hold up. Anyway lets agree to disagree. The new pins look and sound better, play faster and feel the way a pinball should in the 21st century.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

TSPP is a good fun pinball game with plenty of depth. I'd gladly welcome one into my home. But as a fan of The Simpsons franchise (characters, stories, jokes, etc), TSPP is just a disappointment. Which is strange when you consider I can watch episodes of the show, know the joke coming, and still get a genuine belly laugh when it is delivered. and sticking quarters in it to try to get a better score.

Wow, I feel the oppositte. As a huge fan of the show, I feel tspp is the single best integrated pinball theme, among the best call outs out there. No other game does it better. Most wpc games, while fun, are generally easier to beat and very shallow. Bsd and taf lasted 6 months, hs2 less than that, for me. ive never played congo and im sure its anlot of fun, but xmen gets my vote for its depth and flow.

#39 9 years ago

Nintendo built their empire on that little plumber...and you don't even have to be online to play it for more than a week. I get COD, finish it in a few days, and Ebay it to get my money back from some sucker that wants to get his head shot over and over by some little ten-year-old kid in South Korea whenever he spawns in multiplayer games. Fun, but completely mindless, and doesn't take a whole lot of finess that Mario does. If you think platformers like that are boring, get yourself a copy of one of the Rayman games and tell me it's not the hardest damn thing you've ever tried to play with a gaming console. Makes COD look like child's play...not the other way around.

But I digress...

Congo rules.

#40 9 years ago

The funny thing about this thread is that the OP is out buying an XM right now, not even realizing his innocent post sparked this heated debate about old games vs. new games.

Classic Pinside!

#41 9 years ago

If you are good at pinball I would say Xmen because if you consistently brick shots Xmen is ZERO fun. The artwork is great, the callouts suck but its definitely one of those games that once you get the hang of it its a blast to play.

Congo has a stupid theme but is really fun to play. Not nearly as deep as Xmen but should cost at least a $1000 less. I dont think either game is a keeper but I have owned both in the past (still have Xmen) and even if I sell Xmen I would consider buying either back again.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The funny thing about this thread is that the OP is out buying an XM right now, not even realizing his innocent post sparked this heated debate about old games vs. new games.
Classic Pinside!

Debating is fun, listen I grew up with Mario and all the great stuff the 80's and early 90's had to offer. I've bought some old arcade games and built a mame machine and all I can say is that after Deus X or Darksiders, Oblivion and Mass effect its hard to play Mario or DK that's all. If you still can they Hey all the power to you, I've played all the Rayman games and I do like them too, just not in the same league as say FarCry. Its kind of like comparing Em's to modern Sterns, you can't its just too different.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Debating is fun, listen I grew up with Mario and all the great stuff the 80's and early 90's had to offer. I've bought some old arcade games and built a mame machine and all I can say is that after Deus X or Darksiders, Oblivion and Mass effect its hard to play Mario or DK that's all. If you still can they Hey all the power to you, I've played all the Rayman games and I do like them too, just not in the same league as say FarCry. Its kind of like comparing Em's to modern Sterns, you can't its just too different.

FarCry! LOL!!! I have FarCry2 and FarCry3. In each one, I invariably get a hang glider somewhere, take off, land in some remote jungle, wonder "Where the fuck am I NOW???", and give up. Never got past more than about two hours into each game. Gets old shooting drug dealers, too...

#44 9 years ago

Congo won't be leaving my collection for a very long time. Its just simply one of the best of the B/W 90's games period. I can't get into most of the newer Sterns, they just don't have the fun factor for me. I might even argue that many system 11 games are even better than some of the crap coming out today.

#45 9 years ago

No question. 20 some odd modes, you'll never play the same game twice. Deadpool! = So badass! Villian mode+Hero mode+Nightcrawler mode+Magneto Multiball stack = So Badass! More heroes collected, more damage to Magneto = So badass! X-Men for the win. X-Men for the win on theme alone.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

As others have said, normal selling prices for Congo and Xmen are very roughly in the neighborhood of $1k apart, assuming average condition relative to the game on each.

Xmen is the smart buy here, unless you're buying based on what you think future prices will be.

That said, if Congo is pristine, or restored, it might justify the close prices.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I would play Super Mario World on SNES over a first person shooter 90% of the time. It's why I have arcade games; they're fun to play, and you can play a shmup or fighter for 5 minutes and have fun. Hell, a large bit of my attraction to pinball is that a game doesn't have to last for hours (except LotR.)

#48 9 years ago

If you're over 45, get Congo (in spite of the complete lack of Joe Don Baker callouts). If you're under 35, get XMEN. If you're 35-45, answer these 3 questions:

1. Have you always wanted your own gorilla?
2. Are you okay with shooting apes, if they're trying to kill you?
3. Do you promise not to make the Ghost Tribe men green?

If you answered "yes" to all 3 questions, Congo is your game.

#49 9 years ago

I have both machines. You can't go wrong with Congo or Xmen. So get both and then sell the loser.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If you're under 35, get XMEN

You realize X-Men are far older than Congo?

Congo
book 1980
movie 1995

X-men
comics 1963
Movies 2000 to present.
7 movies as of now with 2 more in development plus another 2 potential (Deadpool and X-Force) worldwide box-office over $3Billion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-vs-x-men and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.