49%

(289 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

congo mind map.png
amy smoking.jpg
amy drinking.jpg
5792098981_f51f595d83_z.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 9 years ago

Congo was my first DMD - I think I picked it up in 2004. The poll results here seem about right to me - 50/50. If you'd done the same poll 10 years ago, it would have been a landslide for Creech. Audio is what gives Congo the edge for me. I love the jungle drums and music. I'm not a 50's guy, so the drive-in theme and 50's music don't quite do it for me. I still like playing it though.

Amy good gorilla. I watch my Congo DVD the way some people watch "The Room" - so bad it's good. In fact I think I'll watch it again tonight.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It has the HORRIBLE Amy audio...but other than that it's solid.

I like the Amy audio...gotta watch the movie. My niece loves Amy.

#123 9 years ago

This is so funny. Congo was RGP's favorite whipping boy when I bought mine - everybody "knew" that Congo sucked. I liked the game, but thought about selling it a few times (many years ago). I'm glad I ignored the forum static and decided to keep it.

#126 9 years ago

Congo, RBION and Avatar are in a similar class - great sleeper games for $3000-3500.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Congo has never been a 3k+ game. It's always been with HS2, JM, DM crowd. Gets a little more love now, but not up in the STTNG, NGG area.

Can't speak for STTNG, but Congo is a much better game than NGG and I wouldn't even compare them. I couldn't sell my NGG fast enough. There are a dozen better Lawlor games with similar layouts. But if you want a game that plays like Congo, Tron is pretty much your only option. And even Tron doesn't have a volcano ramp.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Congo? My suggestion is DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE and you might enjoy the pin.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Not that Congo is a great movie - it's not. But the movie gives you the context for everything that happens in the game. I didn't even know one of the lead voices in the game was a black actor (Ernie Hudson) until I watched the movie. "Shoot the Satellite!" takes on more meaning too.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Oscar worthy material right here

I forgot about the martini belch at the end:

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

congo mind map.png 294 KB

Cool, you kept my mind map! I seriously need to find time to do more. I've only done Congo and NASCAR so far. In both cases, I did the mindmaps to blunt the criticism that the games are "shallow".

#212 9 years ago

If there's a Creature for $4500 and a Congo for $3200, I would choose Congo.
If they were the same price, I'd choose Creature, but based on layout rather than theme. I actually think the CFTBL theme has jumped the shark, whereas fighting killer apes with lasers while a volcano is erupting is timeless.

#216 9 years ago

Well let's face it, the main theme of the CFTBL pin is the drive-in movie theater. That's pretty cool if you're old enough to remember going to the drive-in, but it's not very relatable otherwise. The 50's music grates on me. I love the music from Congo, probably Vince Pontarelli's best work. Plus the DCS sound was a big improvement over WPC, and actually sounds better than my LOTR (Whitestar).

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around Congo = timeless and Cftbl = Jump the Shark.
I Know it's impossible for an opinion to be wrong, but that opinion is wrong.

If Creature is so timeless, why hasn't it been remade in 61 years?
I was kidding about Congo's theme being timeless (the "wink" was implied). It's just a fun movie.

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

DCS to WPC, 92 - 94 = apples to oranges.

Hmm, I thought we were comparing Creech and Congo. Anyway, Congo is '95.

Post edited by swampfire: I stand corrected - DCS came before WPC95

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Judge Dredd, STTNG, roadshow etc would disagree with you.

Ah, sorry. Congo was the first WPC-95. I didn't know DCS predated that MPU.

#235 9 years ago

Last thing I want to say is, I wouldn't want to go the movies with some of you guys. Of course Congo isn't believable, but neither are most of the movies that pins are based on. I love bad scifi, and I think I'll watch "The Core" again tonight.

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The 50s cars, music, drive ins, and the Creature are timeless, which is exactly why they made it into a pinball machine 40 years later.
I have a hunch we won't be seeing many Congo-themed anything in the 2030s.
Sorry dude winks or not this an argument you can't win.

I hope you'll accept "agree to disagree"; I'm not really arguing.

#248 9 years ago

There's already a molded volcano and 2 gorillas, so less room to add stuff. But if you visit the Congo thread you'll see lots of mods. Shaker, blades, LEDS, powder-coated armor in lots of different colors...lots of creative modding going on. I also expect a color DMD to come out any day now, and that will look great.

I do understand that Congo's orange & black look isn't for everyone. I remember seeing it in '95 in an arcade, and thinking that it was a strange-looking game. It didn't grow on me until I played it in a bar in Denver years later and really got into the gameplay. But even when I bought my Congo, I didn't expect it to be a keeper. It just turned into a family favorite, so it stayed during all those years that it was mocked by the pinball community. It was a good lesson in ignoring what other people think.

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

If you were trying to get me not to watch it you have failed. That clip was great and makes me want to see the movie even more. I may go home and watch it tonight. I have had it for years but never watched.

I watched it on BluRay last night in the home theater, while the family was watching the Grammys. I was disappointed that it was 16:9, but it's still a good upgrade from the DVD. Once you get through the first half of the movie (Jo Don Baker's overacting, awkward character-establishing scenes), it's a decent action flick. The SFX are really good for pre-CGI 1995. Laura Linney is hotter than I remember, which means my standards are slipping as I get older. There are a lot of corny jokes, and yes, a cigarillo-smoking gorilla. Still better than the Grammys, I bet.

#267 9 years ago

It's a shame they didn't make a Maximum Overdrive pin. That would have been great next to Congo.

EDIT: I forgot that the pins come alive and murder people too!

#274 9 years ago

"Damn you all to hell" Multiball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 24.00
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-vs-creature?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.