49%

(289 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

congo mind map.png
amy smoking.jpg
amy drinking.jpg
5792098981_f51f595d83_z.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billy16.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago

Congo is a quicker and easier game to play, but the Creature has the best overall package of any pin from that era--theme, artwork, translite, quality of sound (with a speaker upgrade, you'll never hear it with the stock speakers), superior animations and callouts. And, a lot of cool mods are available (does anyone even make a Congo mod?). Add MikeD's video mod and it totally transforms the game visually. No way a Congo is worth the same $$ as CFTBL, conditions being equal. Just my opinion, however...

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

CFTBL is a mediocre game, with a decent theme, with mediocre shots in a standard 2 flipper fan with very little flow. The sound quality is poor, the rule set is basic.
Congo is a game made about a shitty movie.... with 3 flippers, great shots, a lot of flow, fantastic sound quality, and one of the most satisfying shots in a pinball game - the volcano ramp.
I'm sure which one is better....

You might be right on all this, but are incorrect on the sound quality of CFTBL. Well, sort of...the quality of sound is in there, just not with the factory speakers. With FF's (or PP's I'd imagine), the sound is top notch. FF's made a tremendous difference in audible sound quality in this game--more than in any other pin I've installed them in.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Before posting the thread I had already decided to buy Congo now and had a deal to pick it up Saturday. I want to get Creature next. I just thought it would be interesting to have some discussion on these two games.
I found out today the person who was selling me their Congo had a change of heart and is keeping it. I'm bummed about it, but I don't blame him...it's his game to do with as he wants. So if there are any Congo owners on here who would sell theirs, within driving distance to Nashville, please let me know.

If I still had a line on a really nice CFTBL, I'd buy it. Save up half as much money as you spend on Creech and you'll be ready for the next Congo that comes along...

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Congo by far, you will get so tired of the ''Move your Car'' callout on the TFTBL.

No way--"Move Your Car!" never gets old (but maybe you had to see movies at the drive-in to flash back on it...). Always a challenge to finish that mode before time runs out.

#135 9 years ago

Almost everyone loves the Creature, the film is a true horror classic and still holds up today. Congo was a total dud and couldn't sink fast enough from the radar screen. Sort of like Addams Family vs. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (although Congo was a much worse film than MSF). That status bleeds over to the pins, no matter how good they might or might not play.

Creature hasn't been anything but over 4K on the west coast for quite some time.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I never got the appeal fot TOM. I loved playing it on route when I was a kid and then checked it out when I got back into pinball and it did nothing for me.

Same here, except I really wasn't all that jazzed about it in the arcades. One came up for sale locally at a good price and I thought--all these reviews can't be wrong, I must'a missed something. I didn't. Other than the pretty light show, the play and call outs got old fairly quickly--it left.

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If there's a Creature for $4500 and a Congo for $3200, I would choose Congo.
If they were the same price, I'd choose Creature, but based on layout rather than theme. I actually think the CFTBL theme has jumped the shark, whereas fighting killer apes with lasers while a volcano is erupting is timeless.

Agree with most everything but your conclusion. The Creature has proven to be timeless and iconic in the world of horror. Superior theme. Congo was a dud and came and went as quickly as the UPS man. Lousy movie, terrible theme.

#247 9 years ago

The next Congo mod will be the first Congo mod...

#271 9 years ago

Congo hasn't been considered anything other than a 'B' game, except by some who really liked the gameplay, until recently. Maybe you all were right as it has climbed up the respect charts to new heights. Too bad it isn't Planet of the Apes, then there would be a great theme to go along with the gameplay.

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Do you mean the real Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston or the Marky Mark remake?

Why...the real one, of course! Would'a turned the Congo package into a classic A-game for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 27.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billy16.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-vs-creature?tu=billy16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.