Topic poll

“Which one would you get if you could only choose one?”

• Congo 146 votes
    51%
  • Creature 142 votes
    49%

(288 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

congo mind map.png
amy smoking.jpg
amy drinking.jpg
5792098981_f51f595d83_z.jpg

There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 4 years ago

I've had these two on my radar for some time now. I have a chance to get a really nice Congo and I'm going to pull the trigger on it. This Congo is priced on the high side and basically close to what you would pay for a nice CFTBL. I love both games but Congo is harder to find, which is basically my reason for getting this one now. I plan on getting CFTBL next.

I'm just curious to see what others would do if you could only choose one of them.

#2 4 years ago

Love me some creech!
I haven't played Congo, don't even mind the movie, but haven't been pulled in by any YouTube vids to go buysies.

#3 4 years ago

I have them both and they are different but I like them equally. Normally Congo is better bang for the buck but you have taken care of that by paying more. If you have the money grab the Congo because CFTBL is a lot easier to find.

#4 4 years ago

CFTBL is an amazing game, with an amazing theme, with amazing shots and amazing music.

Congo is a game made about a shitty movie.

Not sure which one is better....

#5 4 years ago

I owned Congo for about 6 months...volcano shot rocks. Amy is weird. Had fun with it, but wasn't a keeper for me. If you are paying up for one and don't anticipate keeping it, plan to lose money...

#6 4 years ago

Congo is one of those "just one more shot" games for me...when you drain the last ball just before you could have made that killer shot. It's a keeper for me. But when I was offered a great price on a wonderful CFTBL, I didn't take it because it didn't have the same staying power for me. I'm still a sucker for playing ball with Amy, and the volcano erupting balls is killer, especially with a shaker motor.

#7 4 years ago

The first time I saw congo I was like meh, the first time I played...holy fnshit. And it only gets better from there.
Cftbl I want bad,real bad. but i wouldn't give up congo for it...but i will own someday and feel as it'll be a keeper.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

CFTBL is an amazing game, with an amazing theme, with amazing shots and amazing music.

Ile second that lol

#9 4 years ago

I love them both, have owned both and sold them. Now I want them both back.

#10 4 years ago

Congo "That would be mine"

#11 4 years ago

I'd like to add that the music on Congo also kicks CFTBL's ass.

#12 4 years ago

I'm looking for a Congo now. Definitely gets my vote.

#13 4 years ago

I've owned Creature in the past and my wife loved it. The playfield is a bit claustrophobic for me, but I think the LCD mod would be a fun upgrade, so I'll probably own it again.

I just picked up a Congo and it is a way better game layout in my opinion - so many shots! I love the volcano multiball too. The movie was kind of meh, but so far I'm impressed with the pin.

#14 4 years ago

Congo has it all, great shots, music and artwork. I just can't ever get into creature as much as I love the theme the gameplay is just boring to me.

#16 4 years ago

creech by a mile for artwork, playability, and call outs!

#17 4 years ago

had both....Congo is still here.

#18 4 years ago

Congo is a quicker and easier game to play, but the Creature has the best overall package of any pin from that era--theme, artwork, translite, quality of sound (with a speaker upgrade, you'll never hear it with the stock speakers), superior animations and callouts. And, a lot of cool mods are available (does anyone even make a Congo mod?). Add MikeD's video mod and it totally transforms the game visually. No way a Congo is worth the same $$ as CFTBL, conditions being equal. Just my opinion, however...

#19 4 years ago

I think both are goodand would like to own both one day but creature is a all around great package while I think congo has awesome layout and toys but thats about it but want to own both one day at least for a few months

#20 4 years ago

CFTBL by a mile. It's just a classic, although Congo is a fun game.

#21 4 years ago

Congo kicks Creature ass.

#22 4 years ago

have both, cftbl is a keeper, will keep congo for a little but not a keeper.

#23 4 years ago

Both are great games. Congo is still here and Creech is gone. That's my answer.

#24 4 years ago

We used to have both that were gorgeous and had clearcoated playfields. Creech left before Congo. I love Congo just something about it that keeps me wanting to play it.

#25 4 years ago

If I could only have one it sound be Creech. Which I currently own. However, I'd happily add a Congo.

#26 4 years ago

You know my vote is for buy them both. If I could only have 1 it would CFTBL though. The theme and art is awesome and it's just brutal on missed shots. For only a 2 ball multiball it's insanely hard. Lots of awesome mods available for CFTBL also. Both are great and really good value buys.

#27 4 years ago

CREECH is hands down the best theme/art combo in pinball. In fact, it has 2 themes! However, for layout and rules I would give Congo the edge. Overall nod to CREECH, but it is my grail pin, so what can I say?

#28 4 years ago

I think Congo is a really good pin, but Creech is a great pin.
Great Trudeau designs and both play very differently, so they would fit in the same lineup together.
I'd like to have them both myself, but Creech wins in an either/or battle for me.

#29 4 years ago

Congo over Creetch all day long!

#30 4 years ago

I've had both and creature by a mile.

Congo has some problems.

The theme sucks. Sound sucks. Too many video modes suck. The under playfield ape game REALLY sucks (it's incredibly easy and stupid), and the software ain't great. Artwork is all around ugly. Beyond that it's a total peach.

Creature looks and plays much, much better and the theme and execution is way awesome. It's a blast to play and much more fun than Congo on my opinion.

I'm baffled why Congo has grown so much in stature (and price) over the past 5 years but in my opinion everyone got this one right the first time around when it was an afterthought with little resale value.

#31 4 years ago

I love both. CFTBL is my favorite game ever. That being said I think Congo is the better game.

#32 4 years ago

Creech is the product of a fully-realized vision where every aspect compliments the others. It was a love letter to 50's Americana and classic Sci-fi/horror movies. It is not the absolute best game ever, but it is one of the best 'packages' assembled, and I love looking at it as much as playing it.

Congo is a great game by the same great team, but it suffers from a completely irrelevant theme. The movie isn't even bad enough to be good, it's just mediocre and forgettable. I'd probably own one for a while, but I don't think it would last long. That volcano shot is pretty awesome, though.

Creature all the way.

#33 4 years ago

CFTBL is the better looker..Congo is the better player.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

CFTBL is a mediocre game, with a decent theme, with mediocre shots in a standard 2 flipper fan with very little flow. The sound quality is poor, the rule set is basic.

Congo is a game made about a shitty movie.... with 3 flippers, great shots, a lot of flow, fantastic sound quality, and one of the most satisfying shots in a pinball game - the volcano ramp.
I'm sure which one is better....

#35 4 years ago

Congo and tron essentially have the same layout and tron is a awesome game the theme of congo really hurts it with the art , sounds but id still like to own it as it is fun player but creech is just all around a pretty perfect pin

#36 4 years ago

Congo for me,just played it again tonight.
Fun game.
Creech I find to easy.

#37 4 years ago

I keep seeing these vs. threads pop up. Like these machines can play each other or something.

#38 4 years ago

I like both games and think they are two of the best games Trudeau designed. For me the theme of Creech and how both the Creature and the drive in movie are tied together are a theme I really like much more than Congo. I owned a Creech and really miss it. However, if I'm sometime in the future in the market for a pin and happen to find a Congo for a reasonable price I'd get it.
For me it's Creech mainly based on theme.

#39 4 years ago
#40 4 years ago

Like both. Congo the better game in my opinion. Had a CFTBL and it lasted about 6 months before I sold it. Never owned a Congo but would if I had the room.

#41 4 years ago

Zay boo boo doo doo wah, zinj, amy good gorrila, you can go left or
you can go right. Its the mines, look out for the heepos
congo all the way.

#42 4 years ago

I own both. They are both keepers for me. Forget about the movie. It doesn't matter. I watched it once to see what all the fuss was about. I'll never get that time back.

Congo plays faster. Creature is really classic.

I value my CFTBL $1000 to $1500 higher than my Congo.

#43 4 years ago

If some of the Congo callouts weren't so horrendous, I would say it was close, but it's CFTBL by a mile as things stand. Not to say that I wouldn't buy a Congo if one came by at the right price as it has some really great shots, just have to tolerate the sound and get used to it.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

CFTBL is a mediocre game, with a decent theme, with mediocre shots in a standard 2 flipper fan with very little flow. The sound quality is poor, the rule set is basic.
Congo is a game made about a shitty movie.... with 3 flippers, great shots, a lot of flow, fantastic sound quality, and one of the most satisfying shots in a pinball game - the volcano ramp.
I'm sure which one is better....

Your opinion doesn't mean much to me. You don't even like pinball.

#45 4 years ago

I've never owned CFTBL - but when I got Congo, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It was OK. Didn't hold my interest. Only lasted a few months here.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Your opinion doesn't mean much to me. You don't even like pinball.

What opinion?!? I speak only facts

#47 4 years ago

Love both, owned 3 Congo's and 3 CFTBL's, Creech is still here, enough said

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Congo has some problems.
The theme sucks. Sound sucks. Too many video modes suck. The under playfield ape game REALLY sucks (it's incredibly easy and stupid), and the software ain't great. Artwork is all around ugly. Beyond that it's a total peach.

???

Okay...it was a bad movie, but a great book. However, the sound, when I play it, can be felt upstairs in my house. Those drums and music are terrific. The sound on LOTR sucks. On Congo it's awesome.

There aren't too many video modes at all, especially when you compare it to a game like IJ, which is my favorite.

The under playfield is much better than on AC/DC, and it's certainly a better looking machine than that one as well.

Don't know what you mean about the software...

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Congo and tron essentially have the same layout and tron is a awesome game the theme of congo really hurts it with the art , sounds but id still like to own it as it is fun player but creech is just all around a pretty perfect pin

And yet they play fantastically different. I should know, since I've owned two Trons, still play Tron in the arcade just so I don't get locked into the flow of my specific game. I think you can ask pretty much anyone that knows me...Tron is MY game. It's the one game I am almost always dialed into no matter what. I have been one shot from Portal on a Tron that had a very crap, practically non-functional left flipper that was basically only useful for cradling balls. I'm pretty sure at this point I have played well over a thousand games of Tron. =P

In a lot of ways, my Congo is actually faster than Tron, and the bitch about the video modes....if you're frequently seeing the boat video mode, you're 'doing it wrong'....whether going for score, extra balls, or a tournament win. That video mode is just bad. It's like 120 million at best.. Kind of like most chicklet targets of death too, you don't want to intentionally shoot for WE ARE WATCHING YOU. On the other hand, the caves video mode is extremely lucrative, awarding potentially 150 million + groups of 5 gems, which increase your jackpot values, AND it is *very* short unless you've just got an absurd tendency to over-think things. Go left. Trust me.

Under playfield monkey can be disabled so it just awards the award and you don't have to futz with it, and indeed that's what most tournaments do. I have no issue with people doing that. I leave mine on, because occasionally I do see people miss the mode, and there is a definite "technique" to completing it quickly. My switches probably need adjusting, if they were easier to activate, I could see it being way too easy. So either/or on that point.

Love both Creech and Congo, but bang for the buck......yeah, Congo was first in line. I think WMS did a fantastic job of taking a horri-bad movie in Congo, making the dots and callouts funny to compensate, and the music quality is just second to none IMO. Creech meanwhile, love the callouts, love move your car, love the nostalgia and theme of the whole thing, the music....mmmmmeh.

Gameplay edge to Congo, theme edge to Creech. Think Congo is better deal for the money in most cases, but would highly recommend people play both and choose their personal favorite, or just buy both. It's a real tight race here. My biggest complaint with creech is the single 2-ball multiball. I have seriously had games on Creech where I have qualified and started the multiball four times on one ball. Short of the Snack Bar shot, I just don't feel like there is a lot of danger there.. =\

*Edit* Totally don't get the bitch about art on Congo either, for the record. There's a ton of little easter eggs and stuff hidden in the art, especially in the flipper area, it's awesome. The plastics do leave a little to be desired..something other than a ton of leaves would be nice, but the layered slingshots plastics idea is pretty cool....mine is missing the leaves layer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Prior Lake, MN
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Portland, OR
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
€ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Desert, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
9,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside