• The shadow 51 votes
    40%
  • Bsd 39 votes
    30%
  • Congo 38 votes
    30%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1085573 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

So I own all 3 and if we purely go on gameplay. I'm going with congo for the win. I know it's gonna draw hate but congo is a flow monster. Animations in all are great. Bsd best callouts, and video mode, congo best flow and game play, shadow best challenge to reward play

#2 2 years ago

I own all three of them as well and I agree with you congo is my favorite out of the three. BSd is also good with how creepy it is and it is challenging which is good practice for tournaments . I also really enjoy Shadow with all it's cool toys and gimmicks.

#3 2 years ago

I sold my Shadow after a few years. BSD may leave this year. Congo was here first of the 3 and glued down. I don't play it as much as some other games but can't see myself getting rid of it. It's too unique.

#4 2 years ago

Here we go again! I vote all three.

#5 2 years ago

Congo for me has it all for a game with no modes. Great shots, crazy upper loop and the placement of the upper flipper is so unique and the volcano shot is a blast. I even enjoy the lower play field

#6 2 years ago

I own Congo and Shadow. I got to go with Congo for pure fun factor but they do make a nice pair. Shadow is a great game but think I would get very frustrated with it if it was my only pin. Congo is a little too easy but so many cool features. I never get tired of playing the cool modes. I do wish there was a little more challenge to the lower playfield but at least it looks cool. I like BSD but not the theme. It is a pretty good game for the money, though.

#7 2 years ago

I own all three and they are all a blast! this is a tough one to decide but i have to favor CONGO.
great TRIFECTA

#8 2 years ago

That's why I hate all of you here... With your extra space for actual game rooms, and a "collection" of great games instead of just one.

#9 2 years ago

I think these 3 games represent some of the best wms/Bally ever put out. All 3 are solid players that will stand the test of time. My biggest regret is getting rid of my last BSD. There will be another.

#10 2 years ago

I did this for a personal thread, but here's a big reason to prefer a Shadow: the OST using pinsound is awesome. That being said, all 3 games probably have really good pinsound OSTs.

#11 2 years ago

I vote all three too.

But if I personally could only have one I would select shadow. It calls to me.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I did this for a personal thread, but here's a big reason to prefer a Shadow: the OST using pinsound is awesome. That being said, all 3 games probably have really good pinsound OSTs.
» YouTube video

Thanks - that sounds pretty good. Never thought of a pinsound in this game. Hmmm - thinking I might get a shadow.....might be down to that or GB pro...

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks - that sounds pretty good. Never thought of a pinsound in this game. Hmmm - thinking I might get a shadow.....might be down to that or GB pro...

For what it's worth, I was super excited to get rid of my GB, and now I'm debating whether I actually want to get rid of my TS or not....the only game that I've second guessed getting rid of so far.

#14 2 years ago

Yeah I don't think gb shoots as well but the kids love it and I like it. Def a better game for a group. Shadow needs some things to make it great so debating if I go down that road or just get gb pro. JP is another one I think about getting bc of what you get for that price.

#15 2 years ago

BSD FTW
For now my favorite Williams, i will never sell it, the game is beautiful with the right leds, rules are shallow but perfect in every way, Mist MB is unique, callouts and music are a must, and stacking the 3 MBs and having a monster game is just wonderful

Shadow is a good game but theme is...
Never plaumy Congo...

#16 2 years ago

Had a Congo but sold it after two years or so. Just too shallow a rule set, and I got the super jackpot in two days...then wondered if there was anything more. There wasn't. (LOVED playing catch with Amy, though!) Great in a larger collection or temporarily in a small collection.

Shadow is an amazing playfield layout with the awesome sanctum magnet and multiball. But you have to get Aurich's translite so you don't have to stare at Alec Baldwin. Super fun game. Also great in any collection with more lastibility than Congo.

BSD is the hardest of the three with the Mist Multiball...one of the best gimmicks ever. It's a game that will kick your ass and make you want to come back for more.

All great games, but if all three were being offered to me for 3k and I could pick one, I'd go with...

Ah, I can't decide!!!

#17 2 years ago

Set it up harder.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Had a Congo but sold it after two years or so. Just too shallow a rule set, and I got the super jackpot in two days...then wondered if there was anything more. There wasn't. (LOVED playing catch with Amy, though!) Great in a larger collection or temporarily in a small collection.
Shadow is an amazing playfield layout with the awesome sanctum magnet and multiball. But you have to get Aurich's translite so you don't have to stare at Alec Baldwin. Super fun game. Also great in any collection with more lastibility than Congo.
BSD is the hardest of the three with the Mist Multiball...one of the best gimmicks ever. It's a game that will kick your ass and make you want to come back for more.
All great games, but if all three were being offered to me for 3k and I could pick one, I'd go with...
Ah, I can't decide!!!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ah, I can't decide!!!

You can't leave us hanging like that! Sounds like shadow. I agree with the translite. Thinking color dmd and pinsound too!

#19 2 years ago

I did. Still too easy. Play that game, then play BSD...two completely different levels of difficulty no matter how you set it up.

And I had it pitched steep so it was really fast. Didn't matter...I learned all the shots cold (except for the between the pops shot, which was brutal).

Quoted from delt31:

You can't leave us hanging like that! Sounds like shadow. I agree with the translite. Thinking color dmd and pinsound too!

You're probably right. It wouldn't be Congo. I think BSD is ugly, but more challenging. Shadow is nicer looking but would probably get stale faster. So it's really 50/50.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I did. Still too easy. Play that game, then play BSD...two completely different levels of difficulty no matter how you set it up.
And I had it pitched steep so it was really fast. Didn't matter...I learned all the shots cold (except for the between the pops shot, which was brutal).

You're probably right. It wouldn't be Congo. I think BSD is ugly, but more challenging. Shadow is nicer looking but would probably get stale faster. So it's really 50/50.

all this from a BOOB!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And I had it pitched steep so it was really fast. Didn't matter...

Setting games up too steep actually reduces side to side action and can unintentionally make games easier.

#22 2 years ago

Shadow, the lightning flippers are a downside for me with BSD.

#23 2 years ago

You don't have to put lightning flippers on bsd. Stocks are standard.

For information, the artwork of BSD is based of the comic adaptation of the movie and i think it's really nice (and it's a very good comics by the way)

1085573 (resized).jpg

#24 2 years ago

I own Congo and TS. I've played BSD some, but not a ton. Would rank them:

1. TS
2. Congo
3. BSD

#25 2 years ago

They are 1a, 1b, and 1c in my game room. Great trio.

#26 2 years ago

Go with BSD... Best game of the 3 for me, is just a unique machine. The music, the gameplay, the rules, simple to understand and hard to get it, maybe not the great family game, but thats the only downside..

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Go with BSD... Best game of the 3 for me, is just a unique machine. The music, the gameplay, the rules, simple to understand and hard to get it, maybe not the great family game, but thats the only downside..

What concerns me is complexity. Is there a lot to do in this game? Modes, etc?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What concerns me is complexity. Is there a lot to do in this game? Modes, etc?

Thats not the point on this game... lot of modes, is about stacking multiballs, and when you do it, is amazing, is not the best one and only machine, but is a great combo with a deeper machine.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Setting games up too steep actually reduces side to side action and can unintentionally make games easier.

Tell that to my Star Wars. And my Game of Thrones. And my Tron. And my...

#30 2 years ago

I've owned 3 congos in the past. Bought them all for under 1,000 bucks in fantastic shape. They were considered dogs by old standards. They are not dogs but to me they rank dead last in this competition. Great music and a couple good shots. That's about it. I will buy one again,but not for the insane prices I've seen. Lame game when u add it all up.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

I've owned 3 congos in the past. Bought them all for under 1,000 bucks in fantastic shape. They were considered dogs by old standards. They are not dogs but to me they rank dead last in this competition. Great music and a couple good shots. That's about it. I will buy one again,but not for the insane prices I've seen. Lame game when u add it all up.

Wow under 1k.... That's crazy. Thoughts on the other two?

#32 2 years ago

BSD and Shadow are neck and neck. The edge goes to The Shadow. Has more flow with great rules. I'm in the hobby over 25 years and have owned all the Bally Williams games. We played the shit out of them. We judged them by play,not rarity or price.

#33 2 years ago

I've owned all 3 and am on my 3rd shadow. 3 way tie! All awesome in their own way. The 3 great fairly shallow games.

#34 2 years ago

For a comparable price, would any of you consider a NGG over the three?

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

For a comparable price, would any of you consider a NGG over the three?

Depends on what you want; If you're looking for low grade fun than yes. NGG liked by a lot of people but it's kind of a mess.
there's no real incentive to play the holes like golf IMO. Too much random shit in the game also.

BSD is a cute little game and a good change of pace, but not worth the price these days.

I'd go Shadow over congo personally...but both are fun.

#36 2 years ago

1- BSD 2-TS 3-Congo all great and better than most sterns and several B/W. NGG is nowhere close to these and the fact it sells for about the same price is wrong. BSD is a keeper in my collection. Shadow stayed 2 years and was played all the time. I sold it several years ago and would like one back. Have not had Congo but would like one but not for what they are selling for now. I had NGG and sold it in one month

#37 2 years ago

I don't own any of these but seek them all out on location. I love all three. I listened to the Shadow as a radio drama as a kid and loved it. That said, the movie bothers me.

BSD I straight love. Same for the Congo.

I'm torn here. Great question put forth by OP.

I think I go with Congo. This might be due to the fact that when I play it, it means I'be driven 900 miles to Vancouver to do it!

2 months later
#38 1 year ago

I also think that Shadow has more lasting power, given the multiple ways to play, each of which have fair scoring opportunities.

4 months later
#39 1 year ago

I own Shadow and BSD. I really really really want a Congo to complete the trifecta. I go to a buddy's house to play Congo right now. My thoughts:

BSD - Never leaving. Something about this game makes me want to play it one more time.
Shadow - I love this game and the modes, but I agree with some that it's brutal and sometimes can be very frustrating.
Congo - The music, animations, and flow on this game make it fun for both novice and experienced players who just want a relaxing game.

It's hard to put them into an order, but I agree that for just playing fun pinball, Congo is best, followed by BSD and then Shadow for me.

#40 1 year ago

Congo is fun, shoots so smooth, but a bit too easy. I'll play it after my other games kick my ass just so I don't feel bad about myself.

#41 1 year ago

Wow. That’s a tough one. If I could I would get all 3.

#42 1 year ago

Owned all 3.

Congo by a mile.

TS was cool. Didn't like the theme but loved the modes. Hard as hell too.

BSD I couldn't sell fast enough. Just didn't like it and found it boring.

#43 1 year ago

bsd, not a fan. congo is such a great game. shadow, is pretty good game too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Mateo, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside