View topic image gallery

inserts.jpg
flood.jpg
PVC.jpg
mat3.jpg
mat 1.jpg
mat 2.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Congo was my first pinball and I really like it. It had a few what I call sloppy problems and I have fixed them so I thought I would share.

I never liked how some of the insert lights could be seen lighting up the lower playfield when it should be dark. I took a thin black rubber car floor mat and gut it up. I used staples to fasten it to the playfield and Velcro to attach it to the lower playfield shroud. That way I can detach it and easily pull the lower playfield out for servicing if I need too. This blocks all the insert lights out and keeps the playfield dark when not in use.
mat 1.jpgmat 1.jpgmat 2.jpgmat 2.jpg
mat3.jpgmat3.jpg

The other thing I didn't like was how the lower CONGO insert lights in the lower playfield would partially light up the adjacent insert. I simply cut a PVC pipe and glued a piece around each insert to shield them. Now when one lights up there is absolutely no light in the adjacent insert.
PVC.jpgPVC.jpg

Just a couple cheap and easy fixes to tighten up your Congo that I thought people might want to try.

#2 9 years ago

Show top side pics

#3 9 years ago

cool ideas!

#4 9 years ago

The pvc is especially nice, you could also use thick black posterboard like on cfltb for the window area.

#5 9 years ago

Not sure if the poster board would work as there are many corners and bends so you would have to make several pieces but it might be worth a try.

Here are some pics from the playfield

You can see that there is no glow on the non lit inserts.
inserts.jpginserts.jpg

Here shows that there is no bleed over from the surrounding inserts. The camera catches a lot more light on the lower playfield than actually exists. It is darker down there than in the picture.
flood.jpgflood.jpg

#6 9 years ago

thanks for sharing. great stuff

#7 9 years ago

Yes - very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-under-playfield-improvement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.