Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by robertmee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I am having a problem with a switch column. Column 6 is not working. This includes the sling shots and the pop bumpers. I have found a loose wire, reconnected it. I have also found a previous “fix” where someone has attached a slingshot wire to the incorrect post on the slingshot. Should I keep looking for loose wires ( I cannot find any) or is it possible that the switch IC has been shorted due to the backwards wires on the slingshot. The diodes are checking out OK (assuming I am testing correctly ).

As always, thanks a bunch!

MK

#2 11 years ago

Check the transistor for that column, and make sure it's not shorted.

#3 11 years ago

Have you done a switch matrix test to determine if it's the board or the playfield?

With game in switch edge test under diagnostics, pull the two connectors for the column and row switches (J206 and J208). With a short wire or a set of clips, touch each pin on the connector on the board on J208 to each pin on the connector on the board on J206. Column 6 is J206-6 if you want to start there. That's 8 x 8 pins or 64 combos...the intersection of each two pins corresponds to the switch in the matrix table in the manual. Follow along and make see if only one switch registers for each pair of pins and that it is the correct switch.

If that checks out, then your board is fine. If you don't see any switches on Column 6 then the U20 IC could be bad or the driver transistor for that column is bad.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks! Checking now........

#5 11 years ago

OK....nothing was plugged into J206 (PLED ROWS). It was plugged into J207 ( B.B. COL) there is a plug in J208 (PLED ROWS). Could this be the problem?

#6 11 years ago

No....J207 is a duplicate of J206...Doesn't matter which one it's plugged in to...Also on J208, just stay on pins 1 to 9 (pin 6 not used)...those are the playfield switches.

If you look in the manual on the switch matrix, it tells you what pin # on each connector is each switch.

#7 11 years ago

Ah, thanks. OK....under switch edge test, with the proper row and column shorted they did show up on test; but the coils fired with the coin door open ( I assume this is another problem associated with the cut off switch). This would lead me to believe I need to re-check the wiring on the playfield.

Would my assumption be correct?

#8 11 years ago

Double checked the wiring, replaced diodes, and still cannot find the problem. Hmmm....what am I missing?

#9 11 years ago

I'm having a hard time understanding your issue. There seem to be a lot of assumptions here. Coils do not fire in switch test. This leads me to believe you're not in switch test mode and further makes me question why you think there are switch errors in the first place?

So lets back up. Go into the switch test menu in the game diagnostics. Work only there. With all the connectors attached to the CPU board, what switches show as active? Are a bunch showing as stuck on? With your hand, trigger the switches you are testing. What happens? These are the details we need. Please don't sum it all up with "tests fine" or "fails test".

#11 11 years ago

Go into switch edge test in diagnostics, push a switch with your finger, see what reports on the DMD.

LTG

#12 11 years ago

My apologies if I have been unclear. When in test mode, jumping from J206 to J208, the switches test OK (following Robertmees’ advice to eliminate the physical switches by jumping directly). The coils do fire, but I think this is a different problem with the high voltage cut off on the coin door ( will deal with that later).

When in normal test mode, with everything plugged in as it should be, no switch on column 6 registers.

I would assume that this would mean I have a physical problem on this switch column. Checking and re-checking the wiring has not shown an obvious culprit. I have tested the switches, but I have a bad feeling I have not tested them correctly. Is there a sure fire way to test the switches (via DMM) to narrow it down?

Thank you, so very much, for all of your input!

MK

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from mkgort:

My apologies if I have been unclear. When in test mode, jumping from J206 to J208, the switches test OK (following Robertmees’ advice to eliminate the physical switches by jumping directly). The coils do fire, but I think this is a different problem with the high voltage cut off on the coin door ( will deal with that later).
When in normal test mode, with everything plugged in as it should be, no switch on column 6 registers.
I would assume that this would mean I have a physical problem on this switch column. Checking and re-checking the wiring has not shown an obvious culprit. I have tested the switches, but I have a bad feeling I have not tested them correctly. Is there a sure fire way to test the switches (via DMM) to narrow it down?
Thank you, so very much, for all of your input!
MK

Ok. This is a start. You should now go back to switch edge test mode and unplug the connectors as rob said. Then jump the wires. Can you get col 6 to light up in the test menu this way? If yes, it's a wiring issue. If no, you need to replace u20 on the CPU board.

#14 11 years ago

OK, just ran a continuity test. The last switch on the column (Right ramp exit) has none to the connector at the board. I'm going to try to find the break somewhere between.

#15 11 years ago

I have traced the green/blue wire from the backboard to the first connector (left slingshot) and get no continuity. Going to try to determine why.

#16 11 years ago

Thank you my Pinside companions!!! Because of your knowledge I was able to determine a series of events. It turns out there was a wire broken inbetween the backbox and the playfield. One quick solder and all is well!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, if anyone can direct me to a thread concerning coin door cut off for high voltage

And again, spasiba!

MK

#17 11 years ago

Congrats!

On the coin door, inspect the switch. Make sure it hasn't been jumpered by some enterprising operator/former owner. Also, often the tab that makes the switch gets bent over time. Try pushing the switch in by hand to see if that kills the power.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-switch-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.