• Latest reply 2 years ago by whthrs166
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3582_Circle (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

This has happened twice now, both times after the game has been idle for at least an hour. Basically, game is sitting there chilling, minding it's own business when all of a sudden the speakers blare a buzz sound (kinda like AM radio when the station isn't coming in) at the loudest possible volume level. It stopped after 8 seconds the first time, and after 2 seconds the last time. Has not occurred while playing.

I don't even know where to start. I checked every connection, made sure every grounding screw was nice and tight. I don't even know what board I would have diag'd for this...CPU? Audio? Anyone ever experience anything like this and have a clue as to the cause?

#2 5 years ago

This is weird and happens with my Congo after sitting idle too. I am curious to see if this happens to other Congo owners as well and have no idea what the cause is.

#3 5 years ago

Mine as well....

#4 5 years ago

Update to sound ROM version 1.1 on the audio/video board. Same applies to AFM and TOTAN. Might be one other game too, I can't remember. You can get the file from IPDB or the Planetary Pinball site or have someone program a ROM for you.

#5 5 years ago

Is this a known fix for this issue?? I can confirm I'm on Audio 1.0 so if this is a def fix, I'll get it done right away....and thanks a bunch.

EDIT: Confirmed, 1.1 sound changelog says the update fixes the buzzing sound the game can make. Thx sir!

#6 5 years ago

Thanks stangbat and I guess my old TOTAN was on the latest sound rom because it never did this loud buzzing sound.

#7 5 years ago

Meloyelo51 can probably sell you one. He has a Pinside shop and great customer service.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade

#8 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the A/V board?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Update to sound ROM version 1.1 on the audio/video board. Same applies to AFM and TOTAN. Might be one other game too, I can't remember.

It may apply to all WPC95 A/V boards, I would imagine.

#10 5 years ago

This happened on the Roadshow I had years ago.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It may apply to all WPC95 A/V boards, I would imagine.

No, they fixed the issue with games after TOTAN.

It is an early WPC-95 issue.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

It is an early WPC-95 issue.

and Champion Pub?

#13 5 years ago

Good to know, mine does it. I swear my LOTR used to do it too! Scares the shit out of me everytime

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

It is an early WPC-95 issue

Thank you for this. I had this problem with a TOTAN and never did find out why. Now I know. Stuff like this is what makes Pinside sparkle!

#15 5 years ago

Thanks to everybody posting. This has happened to my TOTAN for the last two weeks and freaked me out. New roms on order, you guys are the best.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Update to sound ROM version 1.1 on the audio/video board. Same applies to AFM and TOTAN. Might be one other game too, I can't remember. You can get the file from IPDB or the Planetary Pinball site or have someone program a ROM for you.

Does it change anything else on the sounds?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Does it change anything else on the sounds?

No, just removes the buzz.

#18 5 years ago

No, CP is after they fixed the issue.

There are revised sound ROMs for Scared Stiff, but I'm not sure if it is because of the buzz issue. It may be just revisions to the sound. The games that I have personally experienced the buzz issue are Congo, AFM, and TOTAN. Safecracker is between AFM and TOTAN and also has revised ROMs available so I'd imagine it also needs the revised ROMs.

In summary, the games that are affected in order of release:
Congo
AFM
Safecracker (I think, haven't personally had the buzz issue to confirm)
TOTAN

I'm not sure about Scared Stiff. There are revised ROMs available but I'm not sure what the changed. Someone else will need to verify.

All other games are fine and don't need a revised sound ROM (in order of game release):

Junk Yard
NBA FB
MM
CV
NGG
CP
MB
CC

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

No, CP is after they fixed the issue.

Ok. Thank you. Then the loud buzz I hear when I turn on the game, likely may be a damaged trace. The board is physically cracked in the middle of the board about 3 inches starting at the edge of the board. I had already replaced some tparts and need to check traces next.

#20 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the A/V board?

DSCN3582_Circle (resized).JPGDSCN3582_Circle (resized).JPG

#21 5 years ago

Nice condition board you have there. I'm glad the sound ROM update worked for your board.

#22 5 years ago

Nice condition board you have there. I'm glad the sound ROM update worked for your board.

Thanks, I have never experienced the Congo sound glitch described in this thread so I am assuming it is due to having version 1.1 of the S2 sound ROM installed.

Gord

#23 5 years ago

Per the official readme...the sound buzz is the only thing that revision 1.1 was released for
And yes, as mentioned above similar fixes were released for other titles around that time.
I'd be happy to burn one (or other games) for any of you that dont' have a rom burner. Just send me a PM so I don't hijack the thread.

Congo - Sound Rom S2 Revision 1.1

This revision eliminates a 'buzzing' sound that is occaisionally
emitted from some games. If you experience this problem,
use this file to create a new S2 and replace the existing S2 on
the Audio Visual board in your game.

Revision Info

CGS2V1_1.ROM Version 1.1 Checksum = $9300

2 years later
#24 2 years ago

Where can I get the updated sound rom file for AFM? I don't see it on IPDB

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Where can I get the updated sound rom file for AFM? I don't see it on IPDB

Got the BuzzKill huh! Yeah Dave Estill has the cure. He sells on Ebay as rompingirl
Just go to the AFM page there on Ebay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 37.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-sudden-super-loud-random-buzz-noise?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.