• Latest reply 8 years ago by PBFan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3582_Circle.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I just received upgrade CPU (L2.1) and Sound Rom (L1.1) chips for my Congo. The CPU is marked G11 - I know where this is and how to change it. However, the Sound Rom is marked U2 but I can't find U2 on the WPC Audio/Visual Board. Is the sticker on my chip just mislabelled? Can anyone tell me which chip needs to be changed please?

I have changed ROMS many times but this is my first time on a WPC95 system.

Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

I suspect the Sound Rom should have been labelled S2. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that it is the Congo S2 Rom that should be upgraded/changed?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I suspect the Sound Rom should have been labelled S2. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that it is the Congo S2 Rom that should be upgraded/changed?

Hi PBFan,

I strongly suspect that you are correct. See the photo from my Congo below with the sound ROM in question circled in RED. Keep clicking on the photo to ZOOM in closer.

Gord

DSCN3582_Circle.JPGDSCN3582_Circle.JPG

#4 8 years ago

Duplicate post

#5 8 years ago

DOES THIS GET RID OF AMY BY ANY CHANCE?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

DOES THIS GET RID OF AMY BY ANY CHANCE?

Unfortunately not as I fear that the callout of 'Amy, good gorilla' will never leave us.

Gord

#7 8 years ago

Come on its part of the movie . I dont mind amy

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi PBFan,
I strongly suspect that you are correct. See the photo from my Congo below with the sound ROM in question circled in RED. Keep clicking on the photo to ZOOM in closer.
Gord
DSCN3582_Circle.JPG

Thanks. OK I changed the ROMS and I get nothing. Just a Black DMD, no sounds, nothing. Put the original ones back in and everything is fine. The game even kept the settings which I thought was weird because usually the settings get deleted right when you attempt a ROM upgrade? I have done many ROM upgrades in the past and have never had an issue. Does this seem like one of the ROMs is bad?

Now I am wondering if I waited long enough for the game to boot after I turned it on. Does Congo take longer to boot (display info on the DMD) with the most recent ROM version? Not sure I want to try the new ROMs again in case they are bad - If they are could it damage the game? No they were not inserted backwards - I was very very careful about that.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Does Congo take longer to boot (display info on the DMD) with the most recent ROM version? Not sure I want to try the new ROMs again in case they are bad - If they are could it damage the game? No they were not inserted backwards - I was very very careful about that.

My Congo boots up within 15 seconds or so with the 2.1 CPU ROM. It sounds like one of your new ROMS could be having an issue.

Gord

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Come on its part of the movie . I dont mind amy

seems like a bunch of wpc games have some goofy-ass shit going on that detracts from the game. stng-q, shadow-farley claymore, indy 500-wrong turn. twilight zone- that pop goes the weasel bs.

bsd is pretty void of that stuff though if i can remember

1 month later
#11 8 years ago

Figured I should update this thread with the solution. It turns out that the CPU ROM was bad. The image was burned on a chip that was too small. Apparently a few WPC games required larger chip sizes to hold the image.

Problem solved. Thanks everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-sound-rom-upgrade-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.