• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Ronkz650
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi there,

Was working on a small issue with my 2 way popper. All switches were fine.
Finished, tested some stuff and suddenly no more Row3. Appears shorted.
So I probably touched something and blew a component I guess.

Checked all switches from that row: no contact to ground
Continuity is ok to the small board below the playfield.

Any idea on what I should check/change?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: also checked the diod associated to row3 connectors on the small board below the playfield; tests ok

#2 4 years ago

When you power up the game what does it say on screen?Are you able to play a game?
U20 on CPU is the IC that usually blows when power shorts/spikes happen

#3 4 years ago

Error with the ground short row3
Can't play cause the Start Button is on that row

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Error with the ground short row3
Can't play cause the Start Button is on that row

Ok you most likely blew U20 on the CPU board.Power off and check U20 IC and see if it is socketed on the board

#5 4 years ago

Always power off game when working on it.

#6 4 years ago

Could also be a LM339 IC on the opto board. Start by unplugging your row and column connectors on the CPU board. Power on the game and go into switch edge test to see if the row is still shorted. If so, problem is on the board, probably U20. If not, problem is probably on the opto board. Unplug the opto board and see if the row short goes away.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronkz650:

Could also be a LM339 IC on the opto board. Start by unplugging your row and column connectors on the CPU board. Power on the game and go into switch edge test to see if the row is still shorted. If so, problem is on the board, probably U20. If not, problem is probably on the opto board. Unplug the opto board and see if the row short goes away.

If it were the LM339 IC on opto board then it would only affect the optos and you would also be able to play a game but as the OP mentioned there is continuity to the opto board.99% U20 on CPU board is the culprit

#8 4 years ago

No, an opto board LM339 can cause an entire row short rendering all switches in the row to remain closed. In this case unplugging the opto board will restore normal operation, except of course the opto switches. I'm sure the LM339 can fail in other ways that only effect optos, but can for sure short and cause an entire row short.
I just went through this a few months ago on my Medieval Madness. One output pin of the bad LM339 was direct zero ohm short to ground, entire row was shorted, even non opto switches.
Reverse your ohm meter leads from what is normal. Put the positive on ground, then in diode test check the shorted row reading and compare to working rows. On mine, all working rows showed open, shorted row showed .750 because of reading through a diode to the shorted LM339 pin.

#9 4 years ago

So,
Unplugging J208 on the MPU did make the shorted row go away.

I replugged it and then unplugged J3 on the opto board: gone as well.
With J3 unplugged I tried the start button => working.

So culprit is one of the 3 0339 on the opto board?

#10 4 years ago

Yes, white/orange wire on J3-10 goes into opto board to diode D3, and from there to U1 LM339 pin 2. Most likely U1 is the bad LM339 and has a direct short from pin 2 to ground.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-row3-shorted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.