Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BobC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20140628_133103_021.jpg
IMG_20140628_132634_026.jpg
Williams_1995_Congo_Gorilla_Assembly_Parts_List.pdf (PDF preview)
photo2.JPG

#1 5 years ago

It's been 7 months since the last Pinside Congo price check, and I know that this pin is suddenly very popular for some reason. I'm thinking about getting one and wondering what you all think is a fair price range to look for.

Also, I noticed that it's almost impossible to replace the volcano chute, which supposedly has a bad habit of breaking. Do any of you owners ever have a tough time finding parts, or am I creating a nightmare for myself by getting this machine.

I'm in northern NJ, by the way, so anybody looking to get rid of one can give me a shout! Thanks...

#2 5 years ago

This is a hard one. Not a lot of these go up for sale. This does not help you but i would not sell mine if someone offered 2,500 cash tonight.

#3 5 years ago

i would turn down $3500 for mine i love it!

#4 5 years ago

Mine is not for sale for even 6000.

In reality, a fully working one is likely 2500 at minimum. Nice ones are now going for over 3.

It is an awesome game and no concern about volcano, as the only way the plastic breaks is if your vuk weldmelt breaks.

#5 5 years ago

Will trade mine straight up for an AC/DC premium.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Will trade mine straight up for an AC/DC premium.

Since you are going there i would trade mine for a WOZLE straight up.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mine is not for sale for even 6000.
In reality, a fully working one is likely 2500 at minimum. Nice ones are now going for over 3.
It is an awesome game and no concern about volcano, as the only way the plastic breaks is if your vuk weldmelt breaks.

Actually, it was the weldmelt that I was concerned about. That's the part I hear breaks often and you can't find them anywhere...at least I couldn't.

#8 5 years ago
#9 5 years ago

I'm not in the market one, but I'd think it's like a 2800-3K pin these days.

#10 5 years ago

I didn't...thanks for the tip!

Thanks to everyone for the input...it helps to know what to look for.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Actually, it was the weldmelt that I was concerned about. That's the part I hear breaks often and you can't find them anywhere...at least I couldn't.

Pretty easy to reweld and fix it if it ever does break.

#12 5 years ago

Yeah, Mantisamusements seems to be making the volcano chute.

I paid $2450 for mine, and it was pretty rough. Even so, I feel lucky to have the game. Mine absolutely needed new ramps, and for all practical purposes needed a new plastic set (at least 3 were broken.) The gorilla was also broken when I got it. I've probably got $3k in mine now, with new parts and LEDs, but it's absolutely worth that to me.

#13 5 years ago

That said, there was one with noteworthy playfield wear for closer to $2k here recently. Some have sold close to $3k in decent shape.

#14 5 years ago

With only 2,129 units made i feel lucky to have landed one. I have not gotten around to shopping it out or anything but can't wait to do it. Finished restoring my TZ and now my WHT0 is next. After the WHT0 is done, Congo is next.

#15 5 years ago

I think many people are finally realizing the merits of congo and due to the limited quantity they are keepers for many out of fear of not finding one again. Mine will eventually be getting the full restoration to better than new treatment.

Game is a great fit in almost any sized collection and is liked by noobs and pro players alike.

#16 5 years ago

I love the game got mine 2 month a go. Paid 3250 . playfied is a 10. Cab. Is a 9 no fade. The bottom line is u get what u pay for !!!

#17 5 years ago

Pay whatever it's worth it.

#18 5 years ago

owned mine for 7 years or so and still not bored of it. new ramps, new plastics, plays like a gem. congo shows up in tournaments quite often. there are many different ways to score BIG on the game. it also has very unique modes. SKILL FIRE is probably the best mode in a pinball machine.

#19 5 years ago

i was surprised by skill fire just the other day... lotsa cool features in this one. its great to have a game with so many hidden surprises. love mine...it would be the last to go, although i play id4 and sst more.

3 weeks later
#20 5 years ago

So I just got a Congo, and had a couple of parts questions before I place an order.

Are the yellow Travi-Com targets supposed to be square or round? (I have round ones.) If they're square, can anybody provide a link to the right ones?

Where can I buy a Congo manual?

And what's the easiest way to get the ball back into the lower playfield? Every time I lift the PF, the ball falls out and it's a bitch to get back in. Any tips?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. Great game, though!

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So I just got a Congo, and had a couple of parts questions before I place an order.
Are the yellow Travi-Com targets supposed to be square or round? (I have round ones.) If they're square, can anybody provide a link to the right ones?
Where can I buy a Congo manual?
And what's the easiest way to get the ball back into the lower playfield? Every time I lift the PF, the ball falls out and it's a bitch to get back in. Any tips?
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. Great game, though!

Hi Beezle,

The yellow Travi-Com targets are rectangular. I do not know who carries these as I looked around and could not find them.

Congo manuals do pop up from time to time (Ebay) so you may need to post a WTB for a manual and keep looking and remain patient in your search. I cannot help you with the ball falling out of the lower playfield as that has never happened with my game in the year that I have had mine. It sounds like your lower playfield is not assembled correctly or may be missing a part or two if this keeps occurring.

Gord

#22 5 years ago

Thanks very much. I found the manual on IPDB in PDF format...may just have to print it out from there.

There's a bar across the top of the gorilla on the lower PF that I'm assuming is supposed to keep the ball from falling out. Maybe it just has to be pulled up a bit - I'll have to investigate. But it looks like everything is where it's supposed to be. Just too big a gap above the gorilla, and when the PF is lifted straight up, the ball rolls out and into the cabinet. Bummer.

#23 5 years ago

congrats, doing a full shop on mine at the moment, pretty sure this is the target for the satellite

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2783

maybe check the under playfield is fastened properly on the 4 mounting bolts - easy to disassemble.

#24 5 years ago

Awesome game, congrats. The ball won't fall out of the lower playfield if the gorilla is set up properly. Sounds like the spring for the return arms is missing or a return arm is broken, possibly both. One of mine broke and the ball started to fall out because the gorilla's arms would flop all the way back when the playfield was lifted. Marco has the return arms and spring, though the spring can probably be found anywhere.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14206.1

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-362

As for the targets, the one swinks listed above should work, though it's smaller than the original. The ones you're looking for are the same as the five in the lower playfield, I have not been able to find any.

#25 5 years ago

I am chasing one and would pay 4k...maybe more for a vn example.

#26 5 years ago

Thanks to FlipperMagician, I got the Congo gorilla return arm and spring. Went to install it (while replacing my window as well!), and saw that it was a train wreck and I actually needed TWO arms. It looks like somebody sawed them off - and the spring was nowhere in sight. It's amazing what morons can do to a machine in twenty years. Anyway, I'm ordering another return arm, but can somebody look at the photo below and tell me if I'm missing anything else, and where the spring sits in relation to the actuator arm and the bracket above it? (I removed the protective plate that's over it so you can see what's going on.) Thanks...I don't have a manual, so I'm trying to make sure it's put back together right (which means I won't be hacksawing any parts...).

photo2.JPG

#27 5 years ago

This will help. Waiting on the lower bracket to get mine back working.
Williams_1995_Congo_Gorilla_Assembly_Parts_List.pdf

#28 5 years ago

You don't appear to be missing anything, I took a couple quick photos of mine to help you out. Use the schematic posted above when reassembling, it's actually much better than the one in the original manual that I went by. That stinks you had to order another arm, hopefully you needed some other stuff to make up for the shipping charge. Mine broke while playing, so I ordered two arms and replaced them both since the other looked like it could also go at any time. After years of banging a thin metal part against another metal part, these are bound to break.

You should find it a lot easier to spell C-O-N-G-O once those arms are fixed and not just flopping around all willy-nilly.

IMG_20140628_132634_026.jpg IMG_20140628_133103_021.jpg
#29 5 years ago

I have a working used complete lower gorilla assembly as well as the top plastic cover that was Mylar-ed from a tear down available for $100.

#30 5 years ago

Wow...thanks very much for the pics and the help. I'm marking this thread as resolved and will unmark it if I run into any problems today. PM sent for the lower PF.

#31 5 years ago

Stop chipping The gorila with the glass

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 50.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside