congo (resized).jpg
P1070740.jpg
P1070741.jpg
P1070738.jpg
P1070728.jpg
P1060480.jpg
CongoHippo.png
43597_mi.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I am looking for a plastic for my Congo. It is the one under the jump ramp and to the left of the pop bumpers. Thanks

43597_mi.jpg43597_mi.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Yep. I wish they would sell this one by itself. Mine are perfect except this one is broke. I think it's pretty common.

#4 9 years ago

It's sold out and I wouldn't mind having a replacement for my Congo either. It's broken in two but I have pieced it back together and has been holding up fine since 2011.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Yep. I wish they would sell this one by itself. Mine are perfect except this one is broke. I think it's pretty common.

If someone would just make the protector for it I would attach my broken plastic to that for now

Quoted from mwong168:

It's sold out and I wouldn't mind having a replacement for my Congo either. It's broken in two but I have pieced it back together and has been holding up fine since 2011.

I have attempted to fix mine several times with no luck, its just a vulnerable plastic.

#6 9 years ago

sorry, did not realize it was sold out.

#7 9 years ago

Buy some Lexan and trace it to make your own protector.

I fixed mine with that super duper plastic glue that one of the restore places used to sell and it is still holding. I fixed a few other plastics with it as well and all are still holding. I can't remember who sold it. I think the name started with an A. I am not home so I can't look.

#8 9 years ago

Ambroid pro weld

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from lyzanxia:

Ambroid pro weld

Yep, that's it

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from lyzanxia:

Ambroid pro weld

Thanks, hopefully the old repairs wont interfere!

#11 9 years ago

I never realized mine was busted till I saw this. looks like it busted an they did a clean cut on it. it is missing the middle.

Does anyone have a nice High detail scan of this plactic I could have?

#12 9 years ago

I just bought a new set as this plastic and another was broken so I can scan soon for whoever.

In edition I have an idea for a simple mod to protect the plastic but will also allow joining of the broken plastic. I should have solution in the next few weeks.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I just bought a new set as this plastic and another was broken so I can scan soon for whoever.
In edition I have an idea for a simple mod to protect the plastic but will also allow joining of the broken plastic. I should have solution in the next few weeks.

That would be awsome! The scan that is. Getting a scroll saw for fathers day so will be making a lexan protector soon as I can.

#14 9 years ago

Iamdarras will make a protector for anyone that sends him a scan of any plastic on his laser cutter.

#15 9 years ago

From what I could tell in the short time in owning is that the ball comes down the jump ramp and heads down the V in the drain hole and the ball hits the plastic on the top side so a protector would support it I suppose but it will hit the more brittle plastic before the protector.

will scan this weekend

#16 9 years ago

That plastic is always broke dick from ball strikes by the left upper flipper. I made my own oversized polycarbonate protector and glued the broken piece together with a sticky strip. It has held up ok for couple of years now.

#17 9 years ago

good to know, I might even draw up myself and get a few made

#18 9 years ago

Im in for any answer. I believe it's from the ball strike off the upper left flipper more than the jump ramp. At least that's where mine has broken every time.

#19 9 years ago

Pinball decals has whole new plastic set!

#20 9 years ago

I just mailed pinbits to ask if they would be making a plastic protector for congo. As it seems everyone has the same broken plastic.

#21 9 years ago

Make sure they understand that too wide where the ball comes out of the jump ramp and it will not work/cause ball hang ups.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from lyzanxia:

I just mailed pinbits to ask if they would be making a plastic protector for congo. As it seems everyone has the same broken plastic.

I asked them this about a year ago and they said "no problem". They just wanted a high res. scan of the original plastic. I was unable because mine is bonged out and isn't a good example.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I asked them this about a year ago and they said "no problem". They just wanted a high res. scan of the original plastic. I was unable because mine is bonged out and isn't a good example.

Ok, So maybe Swinks who has a new plastic set can send it to them?
Would be cool to know we had a protector coming

#24 9 years ago

hi guys, I am doing a quick message from work as my modem died at home and no internet over the weekend. I have a new unused plastic in which I will scan and can even draw up shape (CAD file) for the protector to speed things up a little. Hopefully can get my new modem up and running in the next day or 2. I noticed the broken one was also cracked at the scoop as it is flexed up a little so a protector might be a good option as it will raise the plastic up a little.

Is the protector normally a fraction bigger than the plastic?
and how much by?

If I draw it up give me a week to scan, draw up and even do a test 3d print to check size. But I will definitely do the hi res scan....

#25 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plastic-cutting-services

Laseriffic says he supplies PBL with plastic washers

Maybe something can be worked out where PBL sells the protector?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

hi guys, I am doing a quick message from work as my modem died at home and no internet over the weekend. I have a new unused plastic in which I will scan and can even draw up shape (CAD file) for the protector to speed things up a little. Hopefully can get my new modem up and running in the next day or 2. I noticed the broken one was also cracked at the scoop as it is flexed up a little so a protector might be a good option as it will raise the plastic up a little.
Is the protector normally a fraction bigger than the plastic?
and how much by?
If I draw it up give me a week to scan, draw up and even do a test 3d print to check size. But I will definitely do the hi res scan....

The protectors seem to be about 1/16 inch bigger than the original to protect the plastic from ball strikes

#27 9 years ago

I emailed LaserTraffic and I'll scan (or send) him my set I just bought. The question is..which plastics need protectors and what edges are in need of the overlap on those plastics? My game is dissembled right now so I don't have that information. If someone can help out I'll be happy to get him what he need to make a protector 'kit'

#28 9 years ago

I see these get made in a german pinball store (but are out of stock): http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/23_92/products_id/13560

Especially the one in the first post of this thread gets broken very fast.

#29 9 years ago

That looks like a good start.

Quoted from lyzanxia:

I see these get made in a german pinball store (but are out of stock): http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/23_92/products_id/13560
Especially the one in the first post of this thread gets broken very fast.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I emailed LaserTraffic and I'll scan (or send) him my set I just bought. The question is..which plastics need protectors and what edges are in need of the overlap on those plastics? My game is dissembled right now so I don't have that information. If someone can help out I'll be happy to get him what he need to make a protector 'kit'

I believe if you overlap or extend the protector on the left and front edges and leave it flush for the right edge that would be best. The plastic would be protected from ball strikes off the flippers and the protector will support the plastic under the jump ramp drop but not interfere.

#31 9 years ago

Yeah.. but I think it rides around the pop bumper. Is it as easy as 'make the left side of the plastic bigger'? Also I would need the overlap measurements for the rest of the plastics. If there's nothing in the way then the whole plastic can be enlarged. If it's a tight fit against something then he would need a little more accurate info.

Here's a scan from the new plastic..

Quoted from msj2222:

I believe if you overlap or extend the protector on the left and front edges and leave it flush for the right edge that would be best. The plastic would be protected from ball strikes off the flippers and the protector will support the plastic under the jump ramp drop but not interfere.

CongoHippo.pngCongoHippo.png
2 weeks later
#32 9 years ago

Any updates or progress on this plastic?

#33 9 years ago

my game is still stripped so I can't determine the ideal size for protectors just yet as well.

3 weeks later
#34 9 years ago

Any progress?

#35 9 years ago

I hear Spooky is making plastics now to order

If somebody has scans for protectors, we should try them

But a follow-up to pinbits might be a good idea too

FYI, Planetary Pinball Supply is who makes the full Congo playfield plastics set
they are breaking my bank with all the sets they are coming out with LOL!

#36 9 years ago

Did anybody follow up with Laseriffic?

1 month later
#37 9 years ago

Bump

1 month later
#38 9 years ago

I scanned my new plastic that is under the jump ramp that is known for breaking and designed a solution. Will post results in the next 1/2 day.

#39 9 years ago

This is a protector that is not seen once installed and sits under the plastic that sits under the jump ramp. The jump ramp plastic is one that is commonly broken due to the ball being flipped from the mid playfield lhs flipper when shooting under the volcano when the ball catches a little air and knock the plastic probably at it's thinnest and weakest point.

The protector plastic is one that has a few features designed in to protect the congo plastic, including a cut out around the front scoop so not to stress the congo plastic and crack it from bending up, and it has 2 drop down reinforcement sections that sit either side of the SS ball diverter piece which keep both plastics straight and to reduce twist stress on the 2 only mounting points. On the playfield side the drop down extends out to support all the plastic and is scalloped to allow a ball to still pass through but strengthens up this weak point if there is a impact. The protector plastic also has 2 holes cut out allowing light to shine through and light up the gorillas faces. Lastly at the back of the plastic is a mini post so you have 2 options on install: 1 is to mount the mini post to the congo plastic as usual and the protector plastic has a recess so everything still sits flush or you install the screw through the protector plastic and the congo plastic and tighten the mini post - which firms up the congo plastic and protector plastic now securing at 3 points instead of 2 and reduces the risk of cracking.

It must be noted that the part was to big to qualify for the polished finish so a matt / grainy finish is only available but since it is not seen this won't be a issue. This has been test printed and fitted using a 3D home printer and the Shapeways option will look better.

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=congo+pinball

photo 1 - typical broken plastic
P1060480.jpgP1060480.jpg

photo 2 - no plastic
P1070728.jpgP1070728.jpg

photo 3 - protector in place
P1070738.jpgP1070738.jpg

photo 4 - congo plastic in place
P1070740.jpgP1070740.jpg

photo 5 - under support
P1070741.jpgP1070741.jpg

#40 9 years ago

The protector looks great. I just ordered one via the URL that you posted. The PayPal option didn't work as I received a Gateway error. I used the credit card option and that worked fine.

Gord

#41 9 years ago

Thanks Gord, better than a broken jump plastic and designed purely because I needed it to protect my new plastic as the one that came with the game was snapped.

1 week later
#42 9 years ago

I have an extra Mystery / Left Eject Hole / Perimeter Defense / Jump Plastic listed on eBay

ebay.com link: itm

#43 9 years ago

I also ordered both of Swinks Congo items from Shapeways. No problems with paying via PayPal.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

I have an extra Mystery / Left Eject Hole / Perimeter Defense / Jump Plastic listed on eBay
ebay.com link

Why wouldn't you just offer this to a fellow pinsider for what you think is a fair price. I have been searching patently for quite awhile for this plastic but am not a fan of Ebay so will not be bidding. Just seems greedy to me. Good luck with your sale!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Why wouldn't you just offer this to a fellow pinsider for what you think is a fair price. I have been searching patently for quite awhile for this plastic but am not a fan of Ebay so will not be bidding. Just seems greedy to me. Good luck with your sale!

I use eBay when I do not know what the fair market price for an item is. The starting price only covers my costs which seems pretty reasonable to me.

3 weeks later
#47 9 years ago

I thought I clicked on PayPal and thought PayPal was asking if I wanted the money taken out of my bank by transfer or to pay with credit card.
So as I messed up I can see how others might be confused by the payment options if they don't pay close attention....

#48 9 years ago

With the guidance of Swinks my order issue is resolved.
Thanks!

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

With the guidance of Swinks my order issue is resolved.
Thanks!

good news... hope you like them... and thanks for the support

#50 9 years ago

I'm about to order those too...my plastic isn't busted YET....I can't believe Pinbits or Laseriffic hasn't done protectors for this game.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-plastic-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.