Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by DakotaMike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Molex pinout for US 120V (resized).jpg
voltage jumper (resized).JPG
AV board.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 8 days ago

UPDATED 11JAN2020 w. troubleshooting.

Just picked up a Congo - was completely functional when tested before purchase.  Game was 100% working with no errors until the DMD and sound started cutting in and out intermittently until it went out completely.

The sequence of errors looked like this:
-  operated normally then an orange band appeared across the display.
- powered cycled the game (30s not a quick on off)
- game played normally for about a minute longer then orange band appeared again
- when power cycled, A/V board does not have power.
- Lower playfield will play with no issues but display and sound are both dead.  Obviously, Menu functions not accessible.

Symptoms and troubleshooting performed:
- LED 501 does not light
- LEDs on CPU and power driver all functioning normally per manual
- all ribbon cables and other AV board connections reseated at both ends.
- AV board fuses F601/602/501/502 all checked for continuity.  OK
- all other fuses checked on CPU and power driver board; OK

Status
- J606 voltage checked and is identical to schematic
- Fuses: F601 reads 51.5V vs 62 in schematic. F602 reads -63.6 (vs. -125/113). Both fuses 501 and 502 have zero V.
- J605 to Tx secondary: pins 1/2 51.5V pins 3/4 -64.6V. Pins 5-11 zero volts.

It would seem strange that only part of the Tx secondary is dead??

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Congo

AV board.pdf
#2 6 days ago
Quoted from Redback37:

UPDATED 11JAN2020 w. troubleshooting.
Just picked up a Congo - was completely functional when tested before purchase.  Game was 100% working with no errors until the DMD and sound started cutting in and out intermittently until it went out completely.
The sequence of errors looked like this:
-  operated normally then an orange band appeared across the display.
- powered cycled the game (30s not a quick on off)
- game played normally for about a minute longer then orange band appeared again
- when power cycled, A/V board does not have power.
- Lower playfield will play with no issues but display and sound are both dead.  Obviously, Menu functions not accessible.
Symptoms and troubleshooting performed:
- LED 501 does not light
- LEDs on CPU and power driver all functioning normally per manual
- all ribbon cables and other AV board connections reseated at both ends.
- AV board fuses F601/602/501/502 all checked for continuity.  OK
- all other fuses checked on CPU and power driver board; OK
Status
- J606 voltage checked and is identical to schematic
- Fuses: F601 reads 51.5V vs 62 in schematic. F602 reads -63.6 (vs. -125/113). Both fuses 501 and 502 have zero V.
- J605 to Tx secondary: pins 1/2 51.5V pins 3/4 -64.6V. Pins 5-11 zero volts.
It would seem strange that only part of the Tx secondary is dead??
Any assistance greatly appreciated!
Congo[quoted image]

Have you checked all connectors in lower cabinet coming from main transformer? Unplug and replug them. Maybe one is loose.

#3 6 days ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Have you checked all connectors in lower cabinet coming from main transformer? Unplug and replug them. Maybe one is loose.

I was able to go over and see the machine, I can confirm that I did do this. Might check the continuity on the wires from transformer to AV board next.

#4 6 days ago

Update:

Checked J604 pins output on AV board and at end of cable just before it plugs into the DMD board (both the same so not a wire in here): 
Pin 1 - -114.6 (LOW)
Pin 2 -88.9V (LOW)
Pin 3 - key
Pins 4 and 5 - 0V (ground)
Pin 6 - +5.1V (OK)
Pin 7 -  +11.7V (OK)
Pin 8 -  +62.5V (OK)

Rechecked all connections to transformer.

Rang out wires between J605 and Tx - good continuity.

#5 6 days ago
Quoted from Redback37:

Update:
Checked J604 pins output on AV board and at end of cable just before it plugs into the DMD board (both the same so not a wire in here): 
Pin 1 - -114.6 (LOW)
Pin 2 -88.9V (LOW)
Pin 3 - key
Pins 4 and 5 - 0V (ground)
Pin 6 - +5.1V (OK)
Pin 7 -  +11.7V (OK)
Pin 8 -  +62.5V (OK)
Rechecked all connections to transformer.
Rang out wires between J605 and Tx - good continuity.

The high voltage section of the WPC95 A/V board has 2 circuits the 62v and the -113v/-125v.

J605-1/2 (80v AC) input is correctly producing 62v DC (J604-8 62.5v) - not sure why/how you get a different input voltage at F601 (51.5v) and possibly your measurement of J605-3/4 (100v AC) at F602 (-63.6v) is not right either??

The HV power circuits do fail and best to simply replace the entire HV section on the board. Here is the HV repair kit that Marco sells https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/WPC-SEMIHV20516

chrishibler might be able to add some further insight or advise how to best measure the input voltage from the transformer

#6 6 days ago

Here's the proper kit for that particular board:
www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WPC95-HVP-KIT

But all you need to look at is the negative side.
This includes Q4, Q5, Q6, D1, D18 and associated resistors.

There is a second negative regulator which should be 12V lower than the -125 but is actually off by 25V.
This second regulator includes D3, Q7, R43, R44 but get the -125 going first then worry about the -113.

For trouble shooting these - start at the rectified DC input and work forwards or backwards depending on what you get. To measure the DC rectified power - with meter grounded, measure the DC voltage at the anode (non-banded end) of D12 or D13.

#7 5 days ago

Thank you all; I will check these components and get back to you.

Of note: I re-checked the J605 in VAC. Voltage at receptacle tonight was 123.0V

1/2 - 86.5V
3/4 - 109V
5/6 to 7/8 - Zero
5/6 to 10/11 - 13.1V

Then, I checked the output from the secondary side of the TX upstream

Gray - to - Gray/White: 13.3V (vs. 18V published on the schematic)
Gray - to - Gray/Green: 26.7V (vs. 36V)
Gray/Wh to Gray/Gr: 13.4V (vs. 18)

Question: The Congo Transformer installed and per the Owners manual is WPC 5610-14515-00. The scematic i have for the Congo shows TX 5610-14515-01. I wonder if the published values for -00 are different??

One final item. I'm sitting here writing all of this up and out of the blue, the machine BONGs once in the background and now LED501 is alive again. Still no DMD but what the hell. I played it a bit, then power cycled it; LED501 off again.

#8 4 days ago
Quoted from Redback37:

Thank you all; I will check these components and get back to you.
Of note: I re-checked the J605 in VAC. Voltage at receptacle tonight was 123.0V
1/2 - 86.5V
3/4 - 109V
5/6 to 7/8 - Zero
5/6 to 10/11 - 13.1V
Then, I checked the output from the secondary side of the TX upstream
Gray - to - Gray/White: 13.3V (vs. 18V published on the schematic)
Gray - to - Gray/Green: 26.7V (vs. 36V)
Gray/Wh to Gray/Gr: 13.4V (vs. 18)
Question: The Congo Transformer installed and per the Owners manual is WPC 5610-14515-00. The scematic i have for the Congo shows TX 5610-14515-01. I wonder if the published values for -00 are different??
One final item. I'm sitting here writing all of this up and out of the blue, the machine BONGs once in the background and now LED501 is alive again. Still no DMD but what the hell. I played it a bit, then power cycled it; LED501 off again.

Was this game a re-import? Is it set up for the correct voltage? Perhaps it is set too low?

#9 4 days ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Was this game a re-import? Is it set up for the correct voltage? Perhaps it is set too low?

yes this is a re-import, we were troubleshooting the transformer voltages last night.

#10 3 days ago
Quoted from Berserk:

yes this is a re-import, we were troubleshooting the transformer voltages last night.

The 12 pin plug in the power box is used to set the input voltage. The first pic shows the pin connections for 120V USA. You may have a DBV (Dollar Bill Validator) connection, the red circle in the 2nd pic shows how the plug should be wired which is the same voltage settings as the first pic but has the extra wires going the DBV connectors. If you have low line voltage at your place use the pinouts in the left diagram.

The other thing to potentially change is the fuse in the power box, from the WPC95 Schematics manual if the machine was in a country with 200-240V it'll have a 4A fuse and you'll need to swap it out for an 5A.

Molex pinout for US 120V (resized).jpgvoltage jumper (resized).JPG
#11 3 days ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The 12 pin plug in the power box is used to set the input voltage. The first pic shows the pin connections for 120V USA. You may have a DBV (Dollar Bill Validator) connection, the red circle in the 2nd pic shows how the plug should be wired which is the same voltage settings as the first pic but has the extra wires going the DBV connectors. If you have low line voltage at your place use the pinouts in the left diagram.
The other thing to potentially change is the fuse in the power box, from the WPC95 Schematics manual if the machine was in a country with 200-240V it'll have a 4A fuse and you'll need to swap it out for an 5A.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Manny, I was looking for that reference but could not find it.

#12 3 days ago

That's great stuff Manny, thank you! We hadn't considered the wiring at the molex connector. I do remember seeing a pigtail coming off of the molex, so you maybe on to something with it.

We will also check the fuse, we did this before to see if it was good (it was) but didn't check the amps. We will check these tonight!

#13 3 days ago
Quoted from Berserk:

That's great stuff Manny, thank you! We hadn't considered the wiring at the molex connector. I do remember seeing a pigtail coming off of the molex, so you maybe on to something with it.
We will also check the fuse, we did this before to see if it was good (it was) but didn't check the amps. We will check these tonight!

Let us know what you find or if your voltage jumper is different post a pic of it - really interested to find out what's going on here

The fact the LED 501 (5v) is intermittent would seem that you have other issues besides the high voltage to the DMD

#14 3 days ago

Yeah, keep us posted on this. I'm very curious what the actual issue is, and how you end up solving it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Sale Pending!
Bay Village, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside