• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0978 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tsskinne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So I just got my Congo back from a 10 month vacation it took to a friends house. They shopped it out while it was gone. Went and picked it up the other night and played it a bit and everything was great. Loaded it in car, drove home about 500 miles, set it up and now I can't get it to start a game. The only thing that I changed was that I installed new batteries, and I forgot the power cord at their house so I used a different one that was laying around at home. Not sure if either of those issues are related?

None of the direct switches are working, no test buttons, coins, anything so I can't credit up,can't get into freeplay, can't start a game. I checked the j205 connector on the cpu and followed the wires and couldn't find any issues but will keep looking. Any other advice or sugguestions?

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Direct_Switch_Problems

I've used this to start with but hoping someone may have a suggestion or similar experience to offer help. Thanks.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

No acid damage on the MPU?

Nope MPU looks great. I have had the game over 3 years and no problems so just seemed odd, I mean literally used all those buttons the night before when picking it up to lower the volume and go into test menu. I'm assuming a wire break somewhere but like I said was hoping someone had similar experience and could just offer an easy solution.

#6 7 years ago

It appeared to be, I reset it as precaution and nothing changed.

#7 7 years ago

I'm guessing a broken wire, after reading through the pinwiki closer I'll use the jumper test this evening to see if I can narrow it down to wire or board issue.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I suspect the coin door interface board since the dedicated switches and the start button are both acting up. Reseating J1 & J3 is where I would start. Might as well test your cord for continuity too although I'd be very surprised if it's the source of your problem.

Thank you!

I guess I'm just assuming something would happen when pressing the start button even if there are not credits like a call out or something, I know the flipper buttons still activated some sounds when pressed.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The 2 bottom left MPU connectors are seated well? I would reseat them to see what happens.

Yep I've done both of those as well as pretty much all connectors just to be certain.

#13 7 years ago

Nope can't add coins at all, none of the direct switches are working, the start button could very well be working but I can't tell because I can't credit it up at all.

Direct switches include:
Left coin chute
Center coin chute
Right coin chute
4th coin chute
Service Credits/Escape (referred to as "escape" here)
Volume down/Down
Volume up/Up
Begin Test/Enter

#17 7 years ago

I went through all the LEDs on CPU and Driver board and they were all lit correctly according to manual.

#18 7 years ago

Got it to credit up using jumper wire

IMG_0978 (resized).JPGIMG_0978 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Yes have tracked it down to ground wire between coin door harness and coin door interface board.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Tlamb:

Yeah, not sure how common that is but I remember the control buttons not working and it took a bit to pin point where the issue was, glad you found it!

Yeah still haven't found its exact location but for now got it set up on free play and got all the setting to where I want it so just going to enjoy it for the time being, and will dive into it after PATZ this weekend as I'd like to put it on location soon and will need to get those switches working for that to pan out

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Tlamb:

Gotcha, I will be there Saturday. Will have to check it out.

Sounds good man, looking forward to the show its my favorite every year.

#25 7 years ago

I ended up having corrosion on the connector from the coin door to the coin door interface board. Repinned that connector and everything was good to go, got the game set up on location last night. Thanks for all the help everyone.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

oh yeah, See post #5!

You nailed it, thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 37.50
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tsskinne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-help-cant-start-game-direct-switches-not-working?tu=Tsskinne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.