(Topic ID: 14506)

Congo Gorilla issue - new problem (targets dont work)

By hassanchop

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Leaf_Adjuster.jpg
Picture_3.png
Picture_4.png
Picture_5.png
DSC_2712.jpg
DSC_2710.jpg
DSC_2407.JPG
DSC_2406.JPG
#1 12 years ago

On my Congo machine, the Gorilla doenst work very well. I decided it was time to try to fix it.
you can check on this vid, on minute 12:03 how it gets stucked. and when it works it goes way more than it should.

i took some pics of bellow and i think i need the parts A-20681 Gray Gorilla Shaft Sub-Assy and 01-14205.2 Gray Gorilla Actuator Arm.
but guess what... i cant find them. all sold out

does anyone know a shop that still have these parts?
or does anyone know how to fix this? like welding or something? or someone who does that could explain or have this service?
thnks in advance

DSC_2406.JPGDSC_2406.JPG DSC_2407.JPGDSC_2407.JPG

#2 12 years ago

I'd start with removing the coil stops and cleaning them. Anytime you can remove black gunk, it will help a part move better.

#3 12 years ago

Congo is really a cool game...I love mine.
Unfortunately though when I was first looking at getting my Congo, I was warned to watch for that...because it is an unobtanium part. Luckily the one I bought was in good shape and works good. I have played several that the gorilla is sluggish and just doesn't move right. Hopefully someone can repro this part eventually. I have heard of people repairing them, but I am not sure how they go about it.

Phoebe

#4 12 years ago

Take that whole works apart and clean everything well

That will allow you to see where it's worn/mushroomed/dirty/gunked up

May be able to get by with just cleaning everything.

Will also give you a better look at where the problem is, and then how to fix it should be logical.

#5 12 years ago

I feel a little silly mentioning this but one thing that will make it sloppy as hell is if the square part of the shaft that goes thru the square hole is rounded off, check yours out, if it's a sloppy fit you need to fix it!

#6 12 years ago

ok i will unmount it all and take some pics. we will see how the parts are... maybe some welding will fix it..

#7 12 years ago

the contact area between the Shaft and the Actuator Arm are completely worn out..
does someone knows where to find these parts? or how to fix this?

DSC_2710.jpgDSC_2710.jpg DSC_2712.jpgDSC_2712.jpg

1 week later
#8 11 years ago

just got the parts fixed from a local blacksmith.
they look as good as new!
way cheaper than buying them from a shop.. witch was impossible cuzz there are'nt any available :S

Picture_5.pngPicture_5.png Picture_4.pngPicture_4.png Picture_3.pngPicture_3.png

#9 11 years ago

Nice, that should solve your problem!
Post the results for others with the same problem in the future.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

they look as good as new!
way cheaper than buying them from a shop.. witch was impossible cuzz there are'nt any available :S

Well played hassanchop that fits like a glove!! Looks like that should pretty much solve the problem now you can get back to playing it.

#11 11 years ago

yep problem solved! works like a charm and it feels like the vids of other congo machines with no problem
a coil just stoped working.. well what a hell, at least the out of stock parts are fixed

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

They still make those?

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

a coil just stoped working.. well what a hell, at least the out of stock parts are fixed

Ahh man, sorry to hear that. Sometimes this hobby has us happy as can be and others it has us shouting "are you serious". At least the coil will most likely be a quick fix. Keep on flippin!

#14 11 years ago

all working fine when i discovered a new problem. now the gorilla targets dont work!!
all except the "C" target.
So the "O" "N" "G" "O" are not working.
never had a target not working, so where do i start? (all fuses are ok)

#15 11 years ago

Are they making contact? I had to adjust all mine. They take quite a beating and can get rather bent out of shape

#16 11 years ago

Yea just see how far the leafs are apart and make sure to adjust them so a light hit they would close registering a hit. Adjust the leaf switches from the bottom not the top/tip. Also this tool from pinball life is awesome for making such adjustments:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518&parent=0

Leaf_Adjuster.jpgLeaf_Adjuster.jpg

#17 11 years ago

hmm... but isnt it strange that 4 targets stopped working all at once?
yesterday i was touching the targets, making all the "little metal plates" touch each other, and still not working. maybe there is a problem on the power boards? hmmm...
getting tired of this machine....

#18 11 years ago

Just looked through the manual. Checked into the switch matrix. You say only 4 targets stopped working. C still works? The C O N G O targets and the A M Y targets in the back lanes are all on the same column so you know that transistor on the board is fine. That column is run buy connector J206-7. All are on the green violet wire. Maybe check for a break on tht wire right after the C target. They should be run in a change and it looks like the C is that start of the chain

#19 11 years ago

And dont give up. Congo is a great game. All pins have problems. It's half the fun

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Just looked through the manual. Checked into the switch matrix. You say only 4 targets stopped working. C still works? The C O N G O targets and the A M Y targets in the back lanes are all on the same column so you know that transistor on the board is fine. That column is run buy connector J206-7. All are on the green violet wire. Maybe check for a break on tht wire right after the C target. They should be run in a change and it looks like the C is that start of the chain

thnks!!
that green violet wire is right after the target, bellow the pf? is that it?
i am so ignorant in pin repair still...

#21 11 years ago

Should come from one of the connected to the mini playfield switches(comes from Amy targets before that) and goes to the C target first and then to each target in line after that. This is just going from reading the manual/schematics on my phone. Pin is at home

#22 11 years ago

Should be 2 terminals on each target too. One will have this green/violet wire. The second wire will be different for all and come from different rows so shouldn't relate to all 4 going out at once. For reference C should be white/yellow. O should be white/green. N should be white/blue. G should be white/violet. Last O should be white/gray.

#23 11 years ago

thnks Whridlsoncestood!!
will look into that

#24 11 years ago

bingo!
it was the green wire that was broken after the C. probably happened when i disassembled the mini pf.
thnks again Whridlsoncestood, and the guys that helped me.... again

now i know how to check wires. by now i know how to:

change lights
disassemble a bunch of stuff
check wires
clean (at least i try)
adjust flipper directions
tape a plastic when it brakes
check transistors
check and change fuses
change rubbers

pretty soon i will be a skilled pin repair man! LOL

#25 11 years ago

Glad we found it! Wish I could always figure out my own issues this easily!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-gorilla-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.