(Topic ID: 124805)

Congo full restoration/customization - Above and beyond!

By Gov

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3661 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170326_231115_443 (resized).jpg
CongoHDR (resized).jpeg
IMG_3478 (resized).JPG
IMG_3474 (resized).JPG
IMG_3471 (resized).JPG
IMG_3473 (resized).JPG
IMG_3472 (resized).JPG
IMG_3470 (resized).JPG
IMG_3465 (resized).JPG
IMG_3464 (resized).JPG
IMG_3462 (resized).JPG
IMG_3463 (resized).JPG
IMG_3460 (resized).JPG
IMG_3461 (resized).JPG
IMG_3459 (resized).JPG

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

Almost there!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#102 7 years ago

I am curious about the back box decal.

Did you design yourself?
Can I get one?

Just install new decals on my Congo and wondering if clear coat over top is required.

My decals are laminated, so I don't think it is necessary.

Anyone have insight about clearing over decals?

Bud

After (resized).JPGAfter (resized).JPG

Before (resized).JPGBefore (resized).JPG

#103 7 years ago

The decal is one of a kind sorry

I needed to clear over mine as they weren't laminated. If they are laminated and you are happy with the finish, then I don't see the need to clear over them.

1 week later
#104 7 years ago
Quoted from flyfisher:

Gov has asked me to provide the information on the 2pac we are using on our machines.
Here is the info:
Evercoat Edge Overall Clearcoat
part no. 102520
Evercoat Edge Medium Catalyst
part no. 102524
I have been buying ours at Wholesale Auto Paints in Springfield, Missouri. It costs about $104.00 a gallon for the clearcoat and activator. I have used many brands of clear doing automotive work, but I like this more than any I have ever used. My daughter-in-law works at a Limo shop told me they were using this on their limos and really liked it.
It doesn't seem to go on hot like many clears I have used. I haved applied this over decals without any lifting problems. It also goes over the cabinet art with no problems. I have cleared several cabinets with it and have had great results. I have used it on playfield, aprons, etc. with great results as well. I hope this helps. Gov is doing a great job on Congo. I can't wait to see the finished product.

What kind of prep work do you do on the decals prior to spraying?

#105 7 years ago

I wash the applied decals with a mild soap solution to remove any dirt or hand oils. I then wipe with a clean wet cloth to remove any soap residue and dry with a soft cloth. The whole cabinet is then tacked several times and sprayed. The results have been really good. This gives good protection to the decal surface.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from flyfisher:

I wash the applied decals with a mild soap solution to remove any dirt or hand oils. I then wipe with a clean wet cloth to remove any soap residue and dry with a soft cloth. The whole cabinet is then tacked several times and sprayed. The results have been really good. This gives good protection to the decal surface.

Great to know. I was wondering in particular if you needed to scuff the surface to give it some tooth. Thanks a lot for the information.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from flyfisher:

I wish that guy was still making those lexan cab and bb protectors. He just disappeared.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I wish that guy was still making those lexan cab and bb protectors. He just disappeared.

Not familiar with the product .. any links?

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I spent a few hours really going over the playfield with 0000 steel wool to flatten it out and give the clear a good surface to stick too.

Sorry to go back in time so much, but I was going through this (great) thread again and the playfield prep caught my attention. I like the steel wool at it seems it will get into nooks and crevices better than sandpaper. This said, a few hours seems like a lot. Also, how would this help with flattening? I would have expected the scuffing to take one hour at most, and the flattening to be done after the clear has been laid.

#110 7 years ago

Flatten out, meaning taking the shine off. The clear we use is really tough stuff and it takes a long time to get that slick shine off

#111 7 years ago

Seeing this thread again today makes me wish I was as excited about some of the EXPO reveals as I am about your resto! Keep up the good work!

2 weeks later
#112 7 years ago

Was thinking this couldn't get any better, but just saw the CONGO color DMD!

This is going to be one sick machine when it's done!

#113 7 years ago

Color DMD is releasing the Color ROM for Congo Nov. 4th.

2 weeks later
#114 7 years ago

Looks like this may be the source for the decals (and many others).

http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/congo-pinball-cabinet-decals/

They are currently in a flame war and legal dispute with PPS.

2 months later
#115 7 years ago

Been a while but thought I would update. Game is nearly done. Cab is complete. The floor looks kinda weird in the pics, but it looks really nice and even in person. Almost there...it has been a long haul.

IMG_20170129_184435 (resized).jpgIMG_20170129_184435 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170129_184414 (resized).jpgIMG_20170129_184414 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170129_184353 (resized).jpgIMG_20170129_184353 (resized).jpg

#116 7 years ago

Looks awesome! Great work. I love my Congo. It's a keeper for me. It's great to see one brought back from the dead like this to be better than new.

#117 7 years ago

Are you bringing this to TPF?

#119 7 years ago

really nice work Gov,

here is idea for a bit of customization (what I did when I had a Congo) - add a insert under the decal for the backboard of the playfield at the volcano so it can flash at the right time giving the larva effect.

P1070102 (resized).JPGP1070102 (resized).JPG

P1070103 (resized).JPGP1070103 (resized).JPG

P1070105 (resized).JPGP1070105 (resized).JPG

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

really nice work Gov,
here is idea for a bit of customization (what I did when I had a Congo) - add a insert under the decal for the backboard of the playfield at the volcano so it can flash at the right time giving the larva effect.

That's really cool!

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Been a while but thought I would update. Game is nearly done. Cab is complete. The floor looks kinda weird in the pics, but it looks really nice and even in person. Almost there...it has been a long haul.

Well they didn't build Rome in a day ya know. Looks great.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

really nice work Gov,

That's a slick idea.

#123 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I like that insert idea. Did you have to put a new back panel graphic on to install that?

1 month later
#124 7 years ago

Playfield is in and I turned it on. It didn't blow anything up so that is good! Have a lot of little issues though, so now to track all of those down. TPF less than a week away!

IMG_20170318_112839 (resized).jpgIMG_20170318_112839 (resized).jpg

#125 7 years ago

Looks awesome! Glad this is coming together!

#126 7 years ago

Such a nice congo.

#127 7 years ago

it looks super!!

#128 7 years ago

Absolutely stunning. Now get that color DMD in just to finish it off nicely. Great work. I have really enjoyed following this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post.

#129 7 years ago

Looking good. Nice work.

#130 7 years ago

Thanks . All issues save one are fixed. I have no sound.... so taking the boards to a buddy tonight to see if we can't figure it out. See you at TPF!

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Absolutely stunning. Now get that color DMD in just to finish it off nicely. Great work. I have really enjoyed following this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post.

That's the plan I have one for it, just have yet to put it in.

#132 7 years ago

Sound board is fixed!! Just a few odds and ends to clean up and she will be ready to pack up!

#133 7 years ago

How did the "larva" effect turn out?

Just kidding. Looking forward to playing this at TPF.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Sound board is fixed!! Just a few odds and ends to clean up and she will be ready to pack up!

What was the problem?

#136 7 years ago

Some pics before bed.

IMG_3459 (resized).JPGIMG_3459 (resized).JPG

IMG_3461 (resized).JPGIMG_3461 (resized).JPG

IMG_3460 (resized).JPGIMG_3460 (resized).JPG

IMG_3463 (resized).JPGIMG_3463 (resized).JPG

IMG_3462 (resized).JPGIMG_3462 (resized).JPG

IMG_3464 (resized).JPGIMG_3464 (resized).JPG

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Some pics before bed.

#138 7 years ago

Which green post sleeves are you using?

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Which green post sleeves are you using?

They are the translucent ones. Not sure where I got them. Probably Pinballlife.com

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Some pics before bed.

I really like how you kept the white gi, the pf colors look great.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I really like how you kept the white gi, the pf colors look great.

Thanks, ya I am not a fan of color bombed GI at all. I initially had cool white in the GI but I didn't like it. I was going to go with warm whites, but didn't have enough. I did happen to have exactly enough sunlight GI bulbs from Comet to do the top side. I am also considering going all of the inserts in warm or sunlight as well. The text on the inserts really gets washed out. I am not sure I have enough to do that right now though.

#142 7 years ago

Just realized I have to replace the bulbs in the pops as they are warm whites, not sunlight.....BAH! Taking that ramp off is a pain.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Just realized I have to replace the bulbs in the pops as they are warm whites, not sunlight.....BAH! Taking that ramp off is a pain.

I must have missed it, what bulbs are you using? They look great under the green plastics.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I must have missed it, what bulbs are you using? They look great under the green plastics.

Sunlight from Comet

#145 7 years ago

Did you use the same bulb for the spotlight? I think I'm going to place an order.

PS: I suggest adding a spotlight (or two) on the volcano.

#146 7 years ago

I did yes. They work great in spots IMO. My spotlights on the left are missing their reflector as I ran out. I am going to have to steal the ones off of my Avengers LE for TPF and buy some more

#147 7 years ago

I used lighting strips on the apron, which work nicely on this game IMO. I'm going to have to do some testing to see how the shades work together; or perhaps comet will soon release a sunlight strips. My next Congo project will be adding red flashers behind the backbox (and perhaps under cabinet) to really create a lightshow at the start of multiball. I did this on my BSD for the lightning, and I really like the effect. Did you struggle at all choosing the bulbs for the lower playfield? I've tried green, yellow, purple, orange, warm white, and cool white. I have orange in there currently, but I haven't been completely happy with anything.

#148 7 years ago

yes, I have tried several different things and settled on red and orange for now. Still not really happy, but didn't like the plain sunlight down there either.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Just do them from the underside.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

perhaps comet will soon release a sunlight strips.

Quoted from Gov:

yes, I have tried several different things and settled on red and orange for now. Still not really happy, but didn't like the plain sunlight down there either.

Try purple.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-full-restorationcustomization-above-and-beyond/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.