(Topic ID: 258787)

Congo Dmd not working

By Lemank

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

99DFBB85-206C-4C9B-809B-46206ACB193F (resized).jpeg
    20200103_131717 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I’ve had my Congo for 2 years and it has played great for that entire time. A few weeks ago the dmd went out. The game plays, lights up, and even has sound. No display on the dmd. I checked the ribbon cables, swapped out another dmd, and even bought a new rottendog wpc-95 audio visual board to rectify the problem. It has not. My experience is limited at repairing and diagnosing pins. My expertise is in home construction. Any thoughts on where I should check next? Any and all help is appreciated!

#2 4 years ago

sounds like ribbon cables to me. Try swapping them out from another game you have one at a time. Or reverse the cable around and reinstall.
    Prolly need a new one or set of them. Should always check power at the dmd before you relace the board but its always good to have a spare.
    Bottom line this sounds like a ribbon cable especially as you have tested the dmd and av boards.
    Cheap easy fix.
    Cheers

#3 4 years ago

I had this exact issue a few weeks on my Congo. Did a lot of troubleshooting and found no issues.
    I reseated the asic chip on the cpu and just like that its working again.
    If you don't have the proper tool to pull it out just try to push it in tight and see what happens.
    Its the big square one with all the connections going all the way around it.
    Report back please

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

I had this exact issue a few weeks on my Congo. Did a lot of troubleshooting and found no issues.
    If you don't have the proper tool to pull it out just try to push it in tight and see what happens.
    Report back please

Adam, I have this tool, so don't attempt this on your own. You can cause more damage than good by using a screwdriver.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

Report back please

I pushed the asic chip in. Still no dmd. I pushed the other chips in around it as well. Looks like I may have some old battery damage. Do you think that may have finally run its course?

#7 4 years ago
    99DFBB85-206C-4C9B-809B-46206ACB193F (resized).jpeg99DFBB85-206C-4C9B-809B-46206ACB193F (resized).jpeg
    #8 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Adam, I have this tool, so don't attempt this on your own. You can cause more damage than good by using a screwdriver.

Lol you quote me as if I told him to pry it out with a screwdriver...

#9 4 years ago

Try testing your power on the power board I had this with my GNR last week found it it was my power board lost the 64 v which runs the dmd

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

Lol you quote me as if I told him to pry it out with a screwdriver...

No no, it wasnt directed towards you in any way.

Ive seen at least 2 of those in the past year that were pryed out with a screwdriver. I ended up replacing both sockets. Fortunately both were easy fixes, but still.

#11 4 years ago

If you have all the (-112v, -100v, 62v) high voltages at the DMD, then I would be suspecting the battery damage on the MPU that you show in the picture on post #7 as being the highest potential failure right now for the cause of the DMD being out. I have seen and repaired at least 4 WPC95 MPU boards like this already. ChrisHibler will be happy to repair it for you and add NVRAM.

#12 4 years ago

You have to abate the alkaline corrosion ASAP. That could be the issue.

Send it to a pro. I can take care of it if you’d like. Drop me a PM.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

You have to abate the alkaline corrosion ASAP. That could be the issue.
    Send it to a pro. I can take care of it if you’d like. Drop me a PM.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Hi Chris,
    Thank you so much for touching base. I am fortunate enough to know SarverSystems above. He has repaired boards for me in the past and is very local. I was hoping there was something simple I was missing. I will update this thread as soon as I can get it over to Brian.
    Thanks!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lemank:

Hi Chris,
    Thank you so much for touching base. I am fortunate enough to know SarverSystems above. He has repaired boards for me in the past and is very local. I was hoping there was something simple I was missing. I will update this thread as soon as I can get it over to Brian.
    Thanks!

We'll do the usual stuff. Plus Ron has a few machines we can use to test with. I believe he said his SS was compatible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-dmd-not-working- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.