Screenshot_20240219-210553 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240218-211229 (resized).png
Stuck Ball on Congo (resized).jpg
20240211_173727 (resized).jpg
20240211_192801 (resized).jpg
IMG_0332 (resized).jpeg
20240204_001418 (resized).jpg
20240204_001432 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#213 10 years ago

I just bought one and is being freighted down over the weekend, was a import from Japan and still in beautiful condition with a few mods already installed: topper, side cabinet inner decals, hippo, CFTBL window, alternate translite and leds throughout so am stoked, and can sit eventually next to the CFTBL - so will have 2 pins by Trudeau with the same playfield window.

congo topper.jpgcongo topper.jpg

IMG_1526.JPGIMG_1526.JPG

1 week later
#223 10 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Can you do a couple of shots on the side art panels? I've been thinking about getting some but wanted to see how they look before I did.

no worries, will do it over the weekend

Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I just finished re-doing mine on Monday. It was well overdue. Added a few things while I was at it

photo 1.JPG 204 KB

photo 2.JPG 225 KB

looks cool, have one of those hippos to install as well, like your placing….

looks like you have a broken plastic there…..

#228 10 years ago

Yah I have a couple broken plastics. Not enough to yield a complete plastic set. I will find a replacement at some point!

I might be able to help as got a set of plastics coming and pretty my current one is good - doing a shop in the next month

edit - meant to say

I might be able to help as got a set of plastics coming and pretty SURE my current one is good - doing a shop in the next month

#230 10 years ago

Hey if you do a plastic swap I could use a few. Certainly hit me up! It would be appreciated!

I will let you know

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Can you do a couple of shots on the side art panels? I've been thinking about getting some but wanted to see how they look before I did.

here are those shots

P1050792.jpgP1050792.jpgP1050793.jpgP1050793.jpgP1050791.jpgP1050791.jpgP1050790.jpgP1050790.jpg

#235 10 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

the side art needs the purple/orange/yellow skyline like the original back art .I personally think mirror blades or plain black look better that just looks too busy.JMO

I do agree on both counts

2 weeks later
#258 10 years ago
Quoted from turtleboy:

Bally head decals instead of Williams. I think Congo was the last Williams game produced.

congo head.jpg 30 KB

congo head-72.jpg 30 KB

Cool to own, and to see the lh and rh joined to complete the face

2 months later
#296 9 years ago

I heard on Coast 2 Coast the other day Nate talking about Congo. He mentioned a someone mentioned to him that this design was not Trudeau's preferred layout for the game. Has anyone ever seen sketches / pictures of his preferred design?

#298 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

That was the first I'd heard of that. Would be interested in seeing some of the original concepts.
Either way, the resulting game came out great.

Totally agree on the current game but would be cool to hear about the other variations that were knocked back

1 week later
2 weeks later
#316 9 years ago

Thanks for the support Scylla, and like I said I did the mod to help my chute, but if it benefits others at least it is out there.

I reckon under 45 minutes to remove stuff in that area - some ramps, volcano and then you are in there - just take photos. I had everything on top stripped from the top side of the playfield in 2 hours so I could clean and polish everything.

2 months later
#342 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Picked mine up yesterday, been chasing one for quite awhile now.
Loving the game, it's a pretty easy game but it is a lot of fun.

I do have a issue with the volcano.
On my game almost every time a ball is ejected from the volcano it overshoots the ramps and hits the pf.
Not sure what might be causing it, maybe the coil is too strong?

congo 007.JPG 165 KB

nice lookin game

check the flap on the top of the volcano chute to see if it has a crack or is bending up as this will allow it to then over shoot. Also check if the chute is loose at the base as it only has 3 small tabs and if one cracks it can cause it to deflect when shooting the ball up and out. I made a base support mount available on shapeways to combat this.

#350 9 years ago

agree, green dmd for this and creature would be cool.

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Had a marathon game yesterday, maybe the beers helped.
3 ball factory settings.

001.JPG 222 KB

002.JPG 184 KB

yes beelzeboob know that feeling , I doubt I will ever hit that Wamprat and you've only had it for 3 days.

2 weeks later
#359 9 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I used the silver DC-3 plane mod that the person makes for Twilight Zone. It looks good on Congo, matches the plane in the movie and has the lighted cabin and red/green wingtip LEDs in it.

cool, do you have a link please

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

The volcano on my game was doing the same thing. I added a small piece of weather stripping (1.5 cm x 1.5 cm) at the top of the volcano to slow it down. So far all of the shots from the volcano have landed on the volcano ramp. That's about twenty times in a row

I wrote and advised wamprat and suggested it could be the flap at the top of the chute could be bent up diverting the ball more out and within a few days his diverter snapped off. So the pounding of the ball up through the vuk hitting the plate will weaken the original chute diverter plate. A new one is available from mantis which is reinforced.

As for the base reinforcement base, that was my little creation to aid my chute and strengthen and support the chute instead of weakening the 3 base mounting points.

#379 9 years ago

I have both translites and thinking of going back to using the original as well

1 week later
#396 9 years ago

This is a protector that is not seen once installed and sits under the plastic that sits under the jump ramp. The jump ramp plastic is one that is commonly broken due to the ball being flipped from the mid playfield lhs flipper when shooting under the volcano when the ball catches a little air and knock the plastic probably at it's thinnest and weakest point.

The protector plastic is one that has a few features designed in to protect the congo plastic, including a cut out around the front scoop so not to stress the congo plastic and crack it from bending up, and it has 2 drop down reinforcement sections that sit either side of the SS ball diverter piece which keep both plastics straight and to reduce twist stress on the 2 only mounting points. On the playfield side the drop down extends out to support all the plastic and is scalloped to allow a ball to still pass through but strengthens up this weak point if there is a impact. The protector plastic also has 2 holes cut out allowing light to shine through and light up the gorillas faces. Lastly at the back of the plastic is a mini post so you have 2 options on install: 1 is to mount the mini post to the congo plastic as usual and the protector plastic has a recess so everything still sits flush or you install the screw through the protector plastic and the congo plastic and tighten the mini post - which firms up the congo plastic and protector plastic now securing at 3 points instead of 2 and reduces the risk of cracking.

It must be noted that the part was to big to qualify for the polished finish so a matt / grainy finish is only available but since it is not seen this won't be a issue. This has been test printed and fitted using a 3D home printer and the Shapeways option will look better.

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=congo+pinball

photo 1 - typical broken plastic
P1060480.jpgP1060480.jpg

photo 2 - no plastic
P1070728.jpgP1070728.jpg

photo 3 - protector in place
P1070738.jpgP1070738.jpg

photo 4 - congo plastic in place
P1070740.jpgP1070740.jpg

photo 5 - under support
P1070741.jpgP1070741.jpg

#398 9 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Looks great Swinks. I see on Shapeways that they offer it in Black or White. Is there a yellow option? if not which do you recommend? Thank you!

I really wanted to offer yellow, orange and green but they are all polished plastic and the design is too big for there polishing machine so I couldn't offer it - sorry. It wouldn't really matter as it is relatively unseen but I would go for the black as you do see the edge around the target so at least it blends in with the above plastic. Black is dearer as they add a dyeing process to change the white plastic to black.

Hope that helps, and if Shapeways ever offers larger part polishing I will open up the other colours but I wouldn't hold your breathe for that option for a while.

3 weeks later
1 month later
#428 9 years ago
Quoted from Bok013:

Good day Congoers. Im still looking for a clear scan of the lower PF. Let me know if anyone has one please. Thank you.

head here and see what the playfield scan is like
http://www.vpforums.org

- go to design resources
- then playfield images
- C for congo

not the most vibrant image but good enough if you want to draw up and then base the colours off your playfield.

you will need to sign up and your allowed 2 downloads a day.

1 week later
#431 9 years ago

HELP please- lost all solenoids

just finished my shop out today ending in a few problems so if anyone can spare a few minutes and offer some help that would be really appreciated.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-help-shopped-and-doesnt-work

#432 9 years ago

having 2 issues still while I wait for fuses as lost all solenoids after a shop..

I was checking out the solenoids of the pop bumpers and wondered if the power should go to a particular side - note the bottom right is reverse to the other 2 pops.

P1080564.jpgP1080564.jpg

Also was doing a flipper button test, went to the switch testing and when you push the rhs button in partially you activate the lower flipper and push in a little more and activates upper right (which does not exist but probably a generic feature to do with the flipper switch). But when you push the left flipper button partially or fully it only activates bottom and not the upper left flipper switch. what do I look for here.

#438 9 years ago

could you try a orange strip at the back / top of the playfield for that sunset feel. I also removed the top layer of the SS lane guides to the flippers and used the decaled plastic as they are at the top allowing them to be lit up a little.

#448 9 years ago

looks good ......

1 week later
#468 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Just finished shopping my Congo and having an issue. It seems that when the balls eject from the volcano for multiball they are over shooting the ramp. This was not happening any of the games before I shopped it. Could it be that I got the alignment of the volcano chute off and that is causing the issues? I do not think it is bent at all. It looks to be in really good shape.

has the flap at the top of the chute changed shape, bent up a bit more or possibly cracked as this would cause the ball to over shoot.

1 month later
#567 9 years ago

the ramp looks to be ok as mounts to the posts

P1060729.JPGP1060729.JPG

i don't have a good one of the top flap but maybe this one will help - angle is important as you don't want it too high as then it smash the side of the ramp or overshoot the ramp - new ones available at mantis. i designed a base support to strengthen it up a bit available at shapeways.

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkscongo

P1070039.jpgP1070039.jpg

#570 9 years ago

if you are talking about mine, that was a photo on the rebuild after a thorough clean

3 weeks later
#594 9 years ago

leftover protector definitely for the ball eject - check stripped pf photo and then just can see part in the lane to the left of the close up lane photo.

P1060992.JPGP1060992.JPG

P1080580.jpgP1080580.jpg

#603 9 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

I think the ball drops into a pit under the volcano ..

the ball drops into a recess next to the volcano chute, then under the playfield to a vuk which shoots the ball up the volcano chute

P1070038.JPGP1070038.JPG

1 month later
#639 8 years ago

a few more parts are now available for the Congo from Shapeways, in which some more detail about each part can be learnt from the linked parts

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkscongo

P1090609 copy.jpgP1090609 copy.jpg

green spirit level for the Congo in which is a similar green (though the flash lightened it up a little) to the apron.

P1090606 copy.jpgP1090606 copy.jpgP1090607 copy.jpgP1090607 copy.jpg

here is a hippo mount that is designed to suit the Schleich brand figures (Schleich brand Hippo - part number 14681 - heaps on ebay for around $10)

The bracket simply screws in using 2 of the screws in the timber side rail. Best to print in the blue and the foot cups are like water splash simulations and then put 4 dabs of silicon glue on the feet and press the hippo into the mount and leave it to dry and then mount into the game. Some people have located the hippo on the ramps but I feel this causes ramp breakages as the hippo is a little weighty and this location does not obstruct play while looking cool and with the shape of the mount the inserts can still be seen.

P1090605 copy.jpgP1090605 copy.jpgP1090603 copy.jpgP1090603 copy.jpgP1090604 copy.jpgP1090604 copy.jpg

#641 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Very nice indeed.... I'd like to go for all pieces (except the plunger protector), but I wished the Hippo base could be found with another colors!

I will open up all the colours with the recommendation of blue...

1 week later
#649 8 years ago
Quoted from Bok013:

Hi folks. I'm still looking for a good scan of the playfield near the flippers. I have bad flipper wear on the diamond with the congo logo and the plane on the lower part. I have a small scanner. If someone has a stripped playfield I can ship the scanner to them and pay to have it shipped back. Or of course it would be a lot easier if someone has a file with the scan. Let me know. Thanks.

register here and these guys have pretty good scans, then do a search under playfield resources - congo

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=18

4 weeks later
#671 8 years ago

approximately 23 not including flashers, photo was when I did a strip down, some globes in and check out the tanned sections. click to enlarge

P1060992.JPGP1060992.JPG

#673 8 years ago

finished my congo shopout, including the coloured spirit level, hippo mount and a unique backboard insert to light up the volcano. The backboard decal had peeled badly and was lucky enough to buy BAA last one so put in a insert in and laid the decal over it. It is lit by one of my prototype manual colour select rgb boards. Game also has a playfield protector and plays fast.

backboard mod
P1090939 copy.jpgP1090939 copy.jpgP1090907 copy.jpgP1090907 copy.jpg

spirit and hippo mod
P1090916 copy.jpgP1090916 copy.jpgP1090914 copy.jpgP1090914 copy.jpg

finished playfield shots
P1090942 copy.jpgP1090942 copy.jpgP1090941 copy.jpgP1090941 copy.jpgP1090940 copy.jpgP1090940 copy.jpg

#675 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Very nice.... I wonder how long the white flipper rubbers will stay white!

They are the silicone ones and on the creech they are going pretty good and easy to clean up and freshen up

#677 8 years ago

It is a pain, but you can unscrew the socket to get to the gi globes

#679 8 years ago

Good point, but when I get a game, I like give it a good clean, change rubbers and while there do globes. This is a relatively easy game to do that on.

Have fun with it, just be mindful when rescrewing the sockets back in to not over tighten or mix screws as a longer screw will pop through the playfield.

#685 8 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Was playing tonight and heard a call out I never heard before "Move your car!" and a car went across the DMD. I happened while in Travi Comm mode after I hit the satellite a bunch of times (~15-20?). Always neat when you hear/see something new.

that would be from another Trudeau game CFTBL

3 weeks later
#694 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I also need a new plastic for the area that divides the pops from the under the volcano shot, if anyone has one or knows where to get one.

here is the protector plastic that I designed to protect the plastic as well as better support it at the back as it is very un-supported there. I placed 2 holes in the protector to highlight the ape heads in the plastic so the lit effect is not changed too much - actually emphasiss the apes heads which is cool.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCQW9YNF9/congo-pinball-jump-ramp-plastic-protector?li=user-profile&optionId=43784201

here is the new replacement plastic that you are after

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/3942/congo-plastic-2

Below is now SOLD

I do have a full set of congo mods parts as a package deal if interested - see photos
- plastic protector
- hippo mount & have purchased a new hippo and will glue mount it for you
- chute support mount
- cabinet plunger wear cover plate
- spirit level
- cool 1:250 scale chromed diecast metal plane (new) similar to the size of the plane plastic - was going to do a trudeau decal to go over the airlines name or spray paint white but haven't and machine now sold so lost the motivation to do so.

package deal with free postage included anywhere in the world for $100 USD - first in gets the package deal - send a pm if interested

P1090994.JPGP1090994.JPGP1090916.JPGP1090916.JPGP1090609.JPGP1090609.JPG

#698 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Cool, this goes underneath the plastic?

yes it goes under and adds a little more support, as when the ball is shot off the top lhs flipper it can break that plastic. The protector drops down 1-2mm down each side of the SS rail so it can't turn and shapeways does it in solid nylon.

1 week later
#702 8 years ago

if anyone needs the trough and ramp yellow bumper plugs check out my add.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-for-sale-4-x-1-yellow-bumper-plugs

detail.jpgdetail.jpg

1 month later
#773 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Would anyone have this famous plastic, or know of a US vendor...?
I see its at Pinball Center.
Thanks!

image_43597_1_484x484.jpg

pretty sure that is all that has it

not sure if you know but I designed a protector plastic to go under that plastic to save it from cracking

1 week later
#821 8 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Just placed an order! Best, Charlie

cheers Charlie, hope you like it.

#855 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

silly question...been playing a couple weeks...what switch/event trips the popper to shoot the ball to the left and around Amys arms?
I dont think Ive seen that yet. The coil fires in test mode.

don't have the game anymore but from memory after you spell AMY at the top to the inlanes

edit - lol, didn't see the new page either

2 weeks later
#918 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Anyone have a lower playfield scan or artwork? I would really appreciate help with this. Thanks

if you need one you can buy it from here for $41 AUD = $29 USD at the moment - 4 left

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/31-2530.html

#920 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Thanks, but I need the art from the bottom of the playfield, not the mini playfield. Should have been more specific.

no worries, maybe go to vpforum and download the scan of a congo playfield

2 months later
#999 8 years ago

not the best photo but here is mine when I did a shop out earlier in the year, all the bracket is on the playfield

P1100032.jpgP1100032.jpg

#1007 8 years ago

are you talking about the diverter under the palm tree on the ramp on the rhs, a little confused...

#1009 8 years ago

was gonna say it just pulls down, no turning, only have photos top side stripped not under the playfield of that mech.

1 month later
#1036 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Hmm. I thought it was pretty flush. It rolls over the edges perfectly smooth. It will just come across that plastic and throw knuckle balls at me.

are you talking about the window or the lower playfield plastic

if the window, maybe is is warped and need a new one or needs to be levelled off better

or

if the lower playfield it is a plastic so maybe it has some warp buckles in it.

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/31-2530.html

2 months later
#1142 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I picked up a Mantis volcano scoop at TPF. Glad I did. After removing the old scoop, I see why it was inconsistent shooting out balls. One of the mounting tabs was broken.

DSC_8167_(resized).JPG

I designed a bracket to better strengthen this base mount if needed

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkscongo&sort=newest

#1144 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I should of bought that when I bought your plastic protector. Good idea. Didn't think I needed it at the time.

the bracket is even useful if one lug is broken as strengthens up the bracket alot so good as a band aid strengthener

8 months later
#1422 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok, i need some help. I am a dumb ass. I have had my congo tour down for months. Just trying to find the time to put it back together. Well, last night i was going thru my phone deleting some unwanted pics and, "yes i am going to say it".. I delete my folder that had all my Congo tear down pics. Every damn one of them. From beginning to the end. HOLY SHIT.... Does anyone have pics of theirs when they tour it down. Even better, does anyone know how to get back the pics i deleted. Would they be in the sim card? HELP!!!!

I don't have a congo anymore but still have all the photos I took of the strip down....

if you have a folder to upload to I can send your way, and did you have cloud setup they might be backed up there....

2 years later
#2121 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Going to be joining the club in a few weeks hopefully. For those that added the hippo toy to the playfield, how did you mount it? I noticed that modfather sells the same toy for $38 you can get from amazon for $15, but wasn't sure if his comes with a mount.

here is the mount that I designed for the hippo
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscongo&sort=newest

ebay options for the hippo
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Schleich+14681&_sacat=0

interesting thing is modfather is using my photo

#2123 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Appreciate it. The mount you designed is cool. Does modfather sell the hippo and the mount for $38 or just an overpriced hippo toy that costs around $15 plus shipping? What color do you recommend for the mount?

I am thinking he is just selling the hippo, and the mount was designed to be in blue to simulate water and the ripple rings around each foot. The mounting points just utilise existing rail bolt points so totally reverse-able.

1 month later
#2163 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Finally joined the club today!
What are the best mods?
Where can I find some alt translites?

the first 3 are good options, though 3rd one isn't if you have a plastic protector kit

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkscongo

hippo mount - using existing holes
710x528_9241448_6529765_1534463320 (resized).jpg710x528_9241448_6529765_1534463320 (resized).jpg

volcano mount strengthener - uses existing holes and the as the bottom lugs are a weakpoint
710x528_2771549_2189393_1534459921 (resized).jpg710x528_2771549_2189393_1534459921 (resized).jpg

plastic support - plastic is the most common broken
710x528_6079284_2798649_1534471167 (resized).jpg710x528_6079284_2798649_1534471167 (resized).jpg

insert stop & insert behind decal so volcano erupts and lights up
P1070067 copy (resized).jpgP1070067 copy (resized).jpg
P1070102 copy (resized).jpgP1070102 copy (resized).jpg

#2165 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Thx! I do have a 3D printer, do you sell the designs files only?

unfortunately not as have had people on sell the mods and files in the past from my shared files so I just don't share most, apart from a few fix files

1 week later
#2177 4 years ago

the volcano chute is fastened by 3 bent lugs from the weldment and with the vibration can work loose and work harden and break off.

I developed a base to strengthen up the mounting which can be used even if 1 of the 3 lugs has snapped off.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EANLZ485B/congo-pinball-volcano-chute-base-support?optionId=43215354&li=marketplace

710x528_2771548_2189393_1534459921 (resized).jpg710x528_2771548_2189393_1534459921 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-club-owners-only?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.