Screenshot_20240219-210553 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240218-211229 (resized).png
Stuck Ball on Congo (resized).jpg
20240211_173727 (resized).jpg
20240211_192801 (resized).jpg
IMG_0332 (resized).jpeg
20240204_001418 (resized).jpg
20240204_001432 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkeyboypaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#513 9 years ago

New member reporting in.

Has anyone put Gold mirror blades on a Congo? Love to see what they look like.

#515 9 years ago
Quoted from Bellow:

Yup, looks sharp

image.jpg 254 KB

Nice. Got any more photos of them installed?

#517 9 years ago

Gold definitely works! Thanks.

8 months later
#954 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was told congo is getting closer along w 20 other titles all being worked on...

it HAS to happen. The WPC95 goodness of Congo deserves colourisation.

2 months later
#1013 8 years ago

I didn't do the Volcano repair myself, but the previous owner did a great job and recorded his progress here:
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/congo-restoration.16964/page-2#post-93948

#1018 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Thanks! Those pictures are much more clear. So that is you machine now? Looks great. Question--do you have a spotlight on the side of your volcano? I didn't see one in those pics. The one I am restoring had a couple wires hanging there where I have seen a spotlight on others. Wondering if there was a reason yours didn't have it as well. Thanks

No worries. Yes that's my game now, but sadly it's been on its arse in storage since i bought it so i couldn't tell you if it has the volcano spotlight - no room to set it up until March next year when we finish the garden games room / architecture office (yes, an odd combination). From the restore log photos and my very hazy memory i don't think it does, so i might install one myself using a GI feed nearby.

Edit: also have a shaker ready to install, and the GI blackout for backbox.

3 months later
#1137 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My NIB Congo came today!

IMG_5159_(resized).JPGIMG_5160_(resized).JPG

MINT!

3 months later
1 month later
#1298 7 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Has anyone tried installing a ColorDMD or SmartDMD into Congo?

Funnily enough I tried installing a Dr Pinball LCD in my game earlier today, but failed through a lack of appropriate spacers when fixing it to the speaker panel. It worked technically, just couldn't keep it screwed in, and I had little patience remaining after upgrading all the roms and spending hours working out why they didn't work...

#1302 7 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Exactly what I was getting at as I have a Dr. Pinball lcd setup also. I have heard of spacers needed. What are these spacers?

Not sure - Mine came out of a SM when it got ColorDMD'd. I have the correct power cable now, but no idea how to fit it. I emailed Dr Pinball himself on Friday and awaiting a response.

I'm tempted to use old post rubbers and some longer screws!

#1303 7 years ago

Noob question:

Should the gray gorilla head flasher flash each time the flippers and slings solenoids fire? I put a purple flasher in there and that's the behaviour I'm seeing.

#1305 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It sld not but seems some led flashers let enough current bleed threw that they light when not supposed to. Try different ones and if none work go back to incandescent one

Thought as much, thanks.

I'll give it another try on a coil test another day and report back.

#1307 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Not sure - Mine came out of a SM when it got ColorDMD'd. I have the correct power cable now, but no idea how to fit it. I emailed Dr Pinball himself on Friday and awaiting a response.
I'm tempted to use old post rubbers and some longer screws!

He's currently on holiday and hoping to respond properly at the end of the week.

#1309 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Mine does this too

are you using an LED flasher?

I'm using a directable purple 906 from Comet:
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8smdflexflash.htm

I might try some other flasher types, and also my original incandescent flasher too.

also, my "top loop post", which stops the ball up in the top left of the playfield near Amy, makes a very loud buzzing when it's active. Anyone got any tips for that?

#1311 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Very common also

the post buzz? Any potential fixes?

#1313 7 years ago

All my LED flashers seemed to flash in the grey gorilla flasher socket when other solenoids fired, replaced with an incandescent and fixed

Now I'm getting a few balls falling off the little metal bridge between the volcano and the plastic ramps on the right hand side! I have repro ramps. Is there a bodge or mod to fix this?

#1315 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I Made a metal guide bc fast hit balls wld fly off there

Can you show me some photos of this please?

#1317 7 years ago

Perfect - I'm totally with you now.

Thanks.

#1319 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It was a random ramp protector i had laying around but was perfect for this job

I probably have an old AFM one sat about somewhere - it seems to only go off on that top side after flying nearly 270degrees round the volcano.

#1320 7 years ago

Here we go:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1323 7 years ago

Anyone got the backstory to this apparent redaction?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1324 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

He's currently on holiday and hoping to respond properly at the end of the week.

Unfortunately he hasn't got an answer on this. So I'm going to press ahead and find some longer screws and some plastic tubes or standoffs to push the screen back about 2-3cm so it doesn't hit the speaker panel.

2 weeks later
#1333 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So... how do you guys keep the "gray gorilla clear plastic" leveled with the playfield in a way that the ball EVER change it's direction when passing through its edges? Is there any magic formula or (just like me), is just trying and trying again (and apparently never get it right)?

Makrolon sheet over it

2 weeks later
#1339 7 years ago

Seems like my prayers to the Color God have finally been answered...

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/index.html

10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg

7 months later
#1615 6 years ago

GI OCD is necessary if you're adding LEDs to the GI.
ColorDMD, LED OCD, yellow/gold mirror blades, hippo figure, volcano illumination & green powder coated legs (would have done the rest of the metal but couldn't be bothered)

#1632 6 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Do you have gold mirror blades in a Congo? Any chance you'd be willing to post photos?

Hi, yes - but it's very subtle.

Have black in TWD, blue in Tron and Gold in IMVE. They're all really very subtle colour to be honest. Red in AFM was the most obvious, but even that wasn't very striking.

IMG_6538 (resized).JPGIMG_6538 (resized).JPG

IMG_6542 (resized).JPGIMG_6542 (resized).JPG

#1635 6 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Are the mirror blades significantly different in shape/size on the modern stern cabs vs. the Williams cabs like congo? I have a set that I took off Metallica (after installing the lightning blades); wondering if they'd fit in congo?

They're different enough not to fit, if that help

#1636 6 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Thanks, that really helps! Had been wondering if they were worth the extra $125 or whatever.

Is that +$125 extra for the coloured blades vs. standard chrome? In my opinion: no. Stick with Chrome.

If that's $125 for blades (of any colour) rather than having no blades at all, then in my opinion: it's worth the money.

9 months later
#1814 6 years ago
Quoted from Itty:

Hey guys, picked up a Congo this past weekend as my first pin, and it plays great. However, the grey gorilla bearing bracket was broken on one side, which allowed the return and actuator arms to fall off of the return stop. It's still playable, but Grey kinda flops around in the lower playfield.
Does anyone have any extra bearing brackets (PN 04-10330.1)? Or is there a source to buy parts? The only place I could find was pinballcenter, which no longer does shipping to the US.

Is this what you need?
https://mantispinball.com/product/congo-square-drive-plate/

5 months later
#1878 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Has anyone ever installed a shaker in a Congo? Think it would be great to have a shaker going when locking balls and on volcano shots!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-shaker-motor-turorial

4 weeks later
#1906 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just picked up a Congo and the lower playfield had yellow led's in it. I did the rest of the game in Comet day lights. Curious what other folks have done? The yellow gives it a semi erie feeling but am I missing artwork without the day lights? Any other cool schemes that people have done? Please show

i also lit the lower playfield GI with Comet frosted yellow/ambers and a purple each side at the rear (nearest the gorilla).
Also use GI OCD because Congo has some excessive GI dimming!

#1908 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Do the purple add much by the gorilla? What does the GI OCD board actually do? I have Comet Daylight 2 way frosted in all the GI's

Congo's GI dims quite a lot, as designed for incandescent bulbs, unless it's disabled in the settings.

LEDs will flicker instead of dimming. GI OCD adapts your machine's dimming circuitry to allow LEDs to dim correctly, behaving like bulbs. The cheapest way to restore 'as factory' dimming is to use incandescent bulbs again as GI OCD is not cheap, but works well if you want to us Leds in the GI AND have the dimming effects.

http://ledocd.com/faq_gi.html

See 5mins & 7mins for 2 quick examples of a Congo dimming with incandescents.

#1913 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

One last question. When you lock the balls in the volcano and you start multi-ball does everyone's balls hit the top of the glass? Mine seem to hit the glass fairly hard and I didn't know if my coil was firing too hard or if that was common

Your VUK is knackered! Specifically the top lip that slows & diverts the ball. Get the reinforced Mantis version.

https://mantispinball.com/product/congo-volcano-weldment/

#1920 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

One thing weird about my game is I had to put an incandescent flasher behind the guerrilla. A led flasher would flash when I hit the flippers for some reason. Same for one flasher in the backbox.

Snap! Must be a design flaw somewhere.

2 weeks later
#1956 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

In a small collection, I think you eventually think about moving on from almost every machine. There is just something exciting about a new (to you) machine. Where I'll disagree, I feel like story based games get old much quicker. Once you've seen the "ending" there is less incentive to play. Sometimes the simple games are the ones I'm drawn to the most. If collecting 100 diamonds was a given, perhaps I'd change my mind, but it's still a good challenge for me. Same think like the Super Jackpot on Fish Tales. It's not super complex, but it's still a rush getting there. Having said that, I'm at the point where I'm debating about trading off either Congo or The Shadow. My fear with Congo is that they just don't come up for sale that often. Most trades you can't reverse, but I'm not sure that will be the case with Congo.

I agree with your comments entirely... had Congo 3-4yrs now, but most for that time I’ve been looking after my Son (now nearly 4) or working, so I just haven’t given it the time it deserves yet.

4 weeks later
#1973 5 years ago

Repaired a couple of dry solder joints under the playfield and put Congo back into action again this evening, after a few months of not being able to play it (and really wanting to try the new MET code instead of doing repairs). It really is a fun game! It gets less play than the newer machines, but i have more fun on this than TWD (possibly because i suck at that). The audio is SO good too.

Got those Pinball Centre inlanes too, they really tie the playfields together - recommended. PCenter can be a bit off with their plastics sometimes, but these are spot on.

Managed this today, and I’m very proud of myself too!

174748CA-582F-499C-8FE8-D98C9D71252D (resized).jpeg174748CA-582F-499C-8FE8-D98C9D71252D (resized).jpeg280635A3-0308-4581-A287-153D1B48AC68 (resized).jpeg280635A3-0308-4581-A287-153D1B48AC68 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1983 5 years ago
Quoted from auntagnes:

Joined the club over the weekend. A lot has been done: new ramps, new plastics, new Amy, new lower playfield window, Mantis volcano weldment, Mantis gorilla square drive plate, flippers rebuilt, vRAM, latest ROM, and LEDs throughout. Basically new, save for the Volcano ramp (unobtanium) and lower playfield gorilla which was fine. Super stoked to join the club. Have to figure out why the Volcano is throwing the balls on to the playfield most of the time overshooting the ramp. I thought the Mantis was supposed to prevent this issue. Thanks to mitch for the hookup and great work rebuilding everything.
[quoted image]

Good deal.

I bought something very similar a few years ago - most things had been replaced with new, and a little bit of the usual volcano damage had been repaired really well. Added gold mirror blades, a ColorDMD and comet LEDS with LED/GI OCD to finish it off - very happy now.

Check your Volcano opening, as suggested above, and see what coil is down there maybe - it might be overrated? should be an AE-23-800 (Yellow)

4 months later
#2094 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I just bought my first Congo and paid
$5k , game has new playfield installed
Appears to have all new ramps etc
Plays great .I was already offered more then I paid for it ? Hard game to find

Good find if you like the game.

I paid £1800 ($2400) for a nicely refurbished machine, new ramps and a really well repaired volcano, all new plastics... but no new playfield (it looks good still) and had a playfield protector fitted. Since GI & LED OCD’d it, plus colour DMD. That was a few years ago now, so the current value is anyone’s guess. Not sure I’d want to sell it though. The temptation of new but massively overpriced Sterns keeps eating away at my zinj.

2 months later
#2108 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

I'm not sure if I goofed up or not.
My Congo got LED'd with a kit from PinballBulbs.com awhile back.
Now I'm wondering if I should have gotten an OCD LED board and/or an OCD GI board.
The machine has been away from my house for a while (no space...how could that be?),
and with my bad memory I don't recall if there were dimming or flickering effects coded into Congo or not.
Thanks!
BobC

Congo does have a reasonable amount of fading in the GI.

Go incandescent, or LED + GI OCD. The middle ground isn’t great.

#2112 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Or just go in the menu and turn off gi fading

Also a possibility.

Maybe unplug the DMD while you’re at it, prevent any temptation to buy a ColorDMD.

2 months later
#2188 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

They probably made it. So beware. The stuff they produce is underwhelming to say the least. Some of it is pure garbage.

Agree with above.

2 months later
#2227 4 years ago

Yeah ColorDMD for the win, but for balance they’re a fair bit pricier over here in Europe when you factor in tax, shipping and reseller profit margins.

Still a great plug & play mod though.

4 months later
#2282 3 years ago

Sad to be leaving this club, the jungle, and generally a brilliantly fun game, but need a change of scene so I’m goin’ Fishin’ for a while, leave a message.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkeyboypaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-club-owners-only?tu=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.