Screenshot_20240219-210553 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240218-211229 (resized).png
Stuck Ball on Congo (resized).jpg
20240211_173727 (resized).jpg
20240211_192801 (resized).jpg
IMG_0332 (resized).jpeg
20240204_001418 (resized).jpg
20240204_001432 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2110 4 years ago

Looks to be a nice clean machine, hope you got a great price on it. Welcome to the club. Now go find some diamonds!

2 weeks later
#2130 4 years ago

I purchased this mod, but first to note there is very little to no lighting under the volcano. I am into moding my machines and the volcano was in need of lighting up. Upon looking at this mod, as stated above the red light strip is to be attached to the weldment and was for me too far inside the volcano to have a real good effect. Also the molded volcano plastic itself is yellowish in color. So, first I added a number of red LED's to the GI lighting under the volcano in many locations, some in the playfield and some on extensions so that they are closer to the molded volcano outer plastic. This gives the volcano a red-sh color throughout most of the entire volcano. I then changed the red LED light strip that came with the kit with white LED light strips (I did two) on modified metal strips that holds the strips again close to the outer volcano plastic. Because of the volcano plastic yellowish color and the white LED strips under it (strobing) gives like molting lava! I know this is a bit more then what you are asking about, but thought I would share what I did with this kit.

20190802_083707 (resized).jpg20190802_083707 (resized).jpg20190802_083753 (resized).jpg20190802_083753 (resized).jpg
#2131 4 years ago

This is a short video of the volcano in action. View it here:

#2133 4 years ago

What I did for the back board again was my own custom job. I purchased from a local glass company 1/2" clear plastic and it cut to the original back board size with the needed holes. Found a local art guy that copied the original picture on the back board and made it so that I could back light it. Did not use light strips, but regular lamp sockets so that I could tie them to the GI circuit. This was all attached to a thin/small plastic extended board behind the back board. Also light strips to me usually have too many lights (too bright) and you have to find a 12V source to power them. Attached are pictures of the process.

IMG_7087 (resized).JPGIMG_7087 (resized).JPGIMG_7088 (resized).JPGIMG_7088 (resized).JPGIMG_7090 (resized).JPGIMG_7090 (resized).JPGIMG_7091 (resized).JPGIMG_7091 (resized).JPGIMG_7092 (resized).JPGIMG_7092 (resized).JPGIMG_7093 (resized).JPGIMG_7093 (resized).JPG
#2139 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

That volcano looks great. For the mod itself, did you wrap the mod around the weldment or in another orientation?

I did not wrap them around the weldment, but my fault I did not take any pictures either, sorry thought I did. (maybe some day I will and post them here) Anyhow what I did, was that I cut small strips of thin metal tin about 1/2" wide and bent them so that they would mount just under the volcano. This took many trial, fit, test with LED's on (they were temporary taped to the strips) so that the strips were close, but not too close and looked good under the volcano.

#2140 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

With an arduino you could do some killer things

I looked at this and looks like a fun thing to mod to a pinball machine. Will keep you posted if I do....Thanks!

#2141 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

You should start selling this!

Its been already done here: http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Congo_Page.html But just missing the lights on the back side.

#2150 4 years ago

Wow! Great find, you don't find machines like that very often any more. Congratulations, now let's go find some diamonds.

#2155 4 years ago

Hello Congo owners, I did a small mod to my Congo and thought I would share what I did. The out lanes on a Congo machine are just stainless steel. The only thing I could find at this time are some stickers that can be added to the lane tops. I did order a set, but just did not like what they would look like. So I started looking at different pinball machines that had out lanes that had a jungle theme to them and see if they would fit a Congo. After many views I found that a Williams Indiana Jones came the closest. The left lane came nearly perfect to fit, but a little off (too long), but did fit in. The right side was more difficult to add, but did work with a number a plastics (cut to fit). I think it turned out great!

20190802_084229 (resized).jpg20190802_084229 (resized).jpg20190802_084234 (resized).jpg20190802_084234 (resized).jpg20190802_084238 (resized).jpg20190802_084238 (resized).jpg
#2160 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I would prefer a color option or those 3d ones that someone made a while back. Just my preference which is why I'm interested in this idea to modify the Indy plastics

Here is what I did. The left side was the easiest as I just used the left IJ with no modifications to the plastics. Part numbers are 31-1773-5 and 31-1773-4. They are a bit longer, but still worked. For the right side a bit more difficult I used part numbers 31-1773-4 (again bottom by the flipper) found this gave more coverage than the left IJ plastic 31-1773-15 as it was longer on the tip and 31-1773-11 for the top. The far end of the right side plastics I used two 31-1773-5. Some of plastics had holes in not correct places, but mounted the upper to the lower plastics to themselves only in some locations (will also use shorten screws where needed) and the lower plastic with screws in the correct locations that goes through the bottom stainless steel plate to tie them to the playfield. A bit difficult to install, but works. Cutting, I used a dremel drill with a small cut off wheel. I recommend small cuts/test fit as if you cut off too much you will have to purchase another plastic. The black post height I think are 1/2" or shorter. I bought all the plastics from PSPA https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=indiana+jones+plastic as they had all what I needed in stock and could buy from one supplier. I like the 3D look this gives to these lanes as it follows suit to the kicker plastics. Good luck if you take this on and you can always contact me if you have any questions.

2 months later
#2207 4 years ago
Quoted from Lemank:

My dmd went out in my Congo. No lines just nothing. The game does play blind. Is there a dmd controller board? I’ve switched out the cables and dmd from other games with no luck.

I have had great results with Clive at The Coim-Op Cauldron with board repairs. Had the same thing happen last fall with my Champion Pup (has the same DMD board). He repaired it quickly at a fraction of the cost of a new board. You can view his site here: http://www.coinopcauldron.com/

Good Luck!

#2209 4 years ago

Some where between $4 and $4500. I would say. Also could be more depends on condition.

6 months later
#2277 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Playfield almost done, just missing the volcano as I am doing something special with that.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Where did you get the cool looking gorillas and hippos?

#2280 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Look on amazon under congo movie figures, and hippo figures. I made custom plastic brackets which are screwed to the bottom of there feet and are indented so the figure sits flat.[quoted image]

Okay, thanks for the update.

#2281 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Look on amazon under congo movie figures, and hippo figures. I made custom plastic brackets which are screwed to the bottom of there feet and are indented so the figure sits flat.[quoted image]

I found many more of these figure's for sale on EBay than on Amazon if anyone is looking.

4 weeks later
#2298 3 years ago

Yes I did. I also did a strobing light strip under the volcano to give the effect of flowing lava. Note: I did change Amy from purple to warm white bulbs.

20190825_122734 (resized).jpg20190825_122734 (resized).jpg20190802_083753 (resized).jpg20190802_083753 (resized).jpg
#2301 3 years ago

Here is a small video of my volcano in action:

#2302 3 years ago

I did red LEDs on most of the underside lighting for the volcano, but installed cool white LED strips on suspended metal tin strips in some areas for the strobing effect. Due to the volcano already a yellow color this gives it the effect of hot lava.

20190825_113137 (resized).jpg20190825_113137 (resized).jpg20190825_113023 (resized).jpg20190825_113023 (resized).jpg20190825_113125 (resized).jpg20190825_113125 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2312 3 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

Is there any interest in a new Gorilla, upper left.

Not for me as mine is in great condition, sorry.

7 months later
#2368 3 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Had a CaptainNeo cleared playfield under my bed for that past 5 or 6 years. Decided to swap out the playfield. Went reasonably well.
Still undecided on a green pop bumpers. Added the hippo. Lit up the volcano with a white strip and a red pop bumper ring. Had 2 white strips, but I could see one through the top of the volcano and had to unplug it.
The worst part, after the swap and cleaning my right ramp diverter was buzzing like crazy. I read it was common. I had never noticed it before. Swapped out every part mech, one by one, nothing worked until I swapped the coil. Now all is quiet.
I still need a Mantis volcano weldment and I want to do the crystal knob shooter rod. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job, looks great!
I like your creativity on using the pop bumper ring around the volcano weldment. Never thought of using a pop bump ring like that before, I will have to keep this in mind when I am modding my next pin out.
Going to give you a little of a bad time on the pop bumpers color (green). I too got some flack back from other Congo owners on my color choice, which was purple! I was trying to match the same color as the inserts that are purple. I didn't even think about the pop bumper caps that are hippo's in water! So, I changed mine out to blue which is what everyone was saying. It was a pain in the ass to change them as I color match the skirts usually to the cap color and/or color of the pop bumper LED I am using. I did look at cool white first, but ended up with blue. Anyhow I would recommend changing the pop bumpers color to blue with some green in other areas. Have attached some pictures of mine so you can see. Also note: Amy is purple in these pictures, but has also been changed out to warm white as when was the last time you saw a grape ape?

Congo2020 (resized).jpgCongo2020 (resized).jpgCongo2021 (resized).jpgCongo2021 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#2384 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Just picked up a Congo and have a few plastics/plastic protectors that are mismatching or broken.
Are these made anymore?
The two circles are green plastics/protectors. Arrow is a broken plastic.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Not sure if you can find them individual, but I did find them in a complete set from Marco or Planetary Pinball.
Marco: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-2532
Planetary: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-2532&Category_Code=GS-3780

The middle one is usually broken as it gets hit hard from the left upper flipper. Mine was broken when I got my machine and I had to purchase a complete set when I did a restoration on it.

By the way, congratulations its a very fun machine to play and one of my friends favorites due to you don't see them in the wild very often and playing well.

1 month later
#2396 2 years ago

Looks amazing! Nice job.

#2398 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

I really want to add a light under the plastic above the upper flipper. Looks terrible being dark. Prob a small 3 led strip.
Also would like to get a new playfield window.

Agreed, added lighting in that area would help as it does appear darker. Might also add lighting behind Amy, I did. Note: This is an old picture as I have since changed her from purple to warm white as I was told who has seen a grape ape.

20190825_122734 (resized).jpg20190825_122734 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#2431 2 years ago
Quoted from BozoTheClown:

All new sockets and all rewired except for the flashers. The flasher harness is just off to the side currently, no broken tabs there so it gets to stay. New molex connectors arrive Monday and I will be able to finish it up. Thanks again!
[quoted image]

Looks good! I would wash the panel as it does appear a bit dirty.

#2433 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Just a few pics
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good, but I like a bit of color in my GI's. Note: older picture Amy is no longer purple, but warm white.

20190825_122747 (resized).jpg20190825_122747 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2438 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hmm, that sounds strange. Once you lock the 3rd ball in the volcano then volcano multi-ball should start immediately.
Gord

Agreed, you might have an issue with your lock on the volcano switches.

1 month later
#2451 2 years ago

Looks amazing! Welcome to the club. Now go find some diamonds.

4 weeks later
#2456 2 years ago

I looked around quite a bit trying to decide what I wanted to do at the in lanes. Here is what I did. I used plastics from William's Indiana Jones. The left one is a direct replacement. It's a little long, but I feel looks good. The right one was a bigger project. I still used IJ plastics, but a number of them cut to fit, but again feel turned out great. Hope this helps with your decision.

20190802_084229 (resized).jpg20190802_084229 (resized).jpg20190802_084234 (resized).jpg20190802_084234 (resized).jpg20190802_084238 (resized).jpg20190802_084238 (resized).jpg20190802_084247 (resized).jpg20190802_084247 (resized).jpg
6 months later
#2496 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Hippo’s!
About time to totally shop my machine again;
A couple questions...
1.The small center jump ramp, is pbc in Germany the only place to get a new one?
2.Clear coating the playfield... does it make Congo too fast?
3. Lower Playfield window... who has the best one?
4. Titan rubber... what’s the best color on Congo?

1) I buy all my replacement ramps from Starship Fantasy. Their replacement ramps are of great quality and easy to install.
2) I clear coated my playfield many years ago and plays fast and fun.
3) I bought the lower window from Pinball Decals, but they are out of stock now. Would recommend Ministry of Pinball as it appears they have it in stock.
4) I didn't do Titan rubber, but green/yellow mix I think would look great. Its your machine get creative!
Note the picture I posted "Amy" is no longer purple, but warm white.

20190825_122747 (resized).jpg20190825_122747 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#2506 1 year ago
Quoted from Nw55555:

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue-
Volcano kick out fires every few seconds constantly. At the same time trough kick out gently fires constantly, not hard enough to kick out a ball, but then it randomly decides to start kicking out balls causing a perpetual multi ball. I’ve replaced the trough opto boards and the volcano optos test fine..
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what was the cause?

Yes, I have had this issue just recently. I too replaced the opto board and checked a number of things out and was stumped. Finely decided that the issues were not related to any switches, optos etc., but determined that the issue was on the CPU board. I don't normally try repairs to this board and sent it in for repairs. Once back everything worked fine as there was issues with the CPU board.
If you want send me a PM and I can send you what they did to repair the board.

4 months later
#2535 1 year ago
Quoted from ripit:

I am heading that way. This was the last chance before i had to buy a 2nd shaker. It hurts because the pin sound board and shaker are already mounted and looking good. I need my Volcano to rock.

From what I know a Pinsound board and their shaker combination should be able to shake whenever you want it to and how much. It's an adjustment/addition to the soundtrack you are using. Not sure how to, but I believe there is instructions on their website.

1 month later
#2539 1 year ago
Quoted from KilaOhm:

Hi all new Congo owner here. Couple questions.
1. Should the volcano loop shot be available whenever the lock is not lit? Sometimes when I make the shot I get the “5 million!” Call out but instead of looping it catches the ball and spits it back out the volcano. Does this shot need to be qualified or should the diverted only be up when lock is lit?
2. Sometime my volcano attempts to eject balls even when none are locked or before a multi ball should be active. Is this a common issue? Known solutions?
Since the two issues I’m having are with the volcano I wonder if they’re related? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

I had an issue with the volcano kicking balls out whenever it wanted to. Did alot of diagnostics and came to the conclusion that there was an issue with the CPU board. Sent it in for repairs. It came back, worked for awhile and the issue came back, but worse. All seem to check out okay with the volcano in switch test. It puzzled me. I finally rechecked the optos on the volcano. They worked, but were very dim lite compaired to the trough optos. I then replaced all the transmitter and reciever optos for the volcano and have never had another issue.
Might check your volcano optos as they could be your problem.
Good luck,
Mike

1 year later
#2744 48 days ago

Yes, this happens on my machine too. Usually not the first time you get Amy. It’s usually the second time you acquire it and then it does put it into the volcano, not all aways and makes it harder for you to make that shot and finish Amy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-club-owners-only?tu=mikespinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.