Screenshot_20240219-210553 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240218-211229 (resized).png
Stuck Ball on Congo (resized).jpg
20240211_173727 (resized).jpg
20240211_192801 (resized).jpg
IMG_0332 (resized).jpeg
20240204_001418 (resized).jpg
20240204_001432 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chosen_s.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#717 8 years ago

I'll be joining the club this week, pray the wife doesn't kill me from adding another pin!

Any common failures to look for when I pick it up?

#725 8 years ago

Finally in, looks like I have a lot of cleaning ahead of me...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#728 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Maybe not glass gets dusty quickly depending on the home environment

Ok, got it cleaned up a little.

I ordered the volcano scoop from mantis... Looks like I need a new lower playfield window... Are these plastic? What is recommended?

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#730 8 years ago

Can the original be flame polished ?

#733 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I suppose it could. But you'll be happy when you see a brand new one in there. Might want to consider cleaning or replacing that left ramp too. The plastic above the ramp I had to cut out of a piece of lexan. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Quoted from Whysnow:

take it out completely and clean it first. You may be surprised with how it cleans up

I'll do a full on shop job and replace parts that need it very soon, I'll do the volcano LED mod too... Should I go find cliffys?

Any other mods I should consider?

I'm only about half way reading this entire thread

#738 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Mantis scoop, cliffys, leds, new window, newest rom version, shapeways protection

Where can I get the newest rom?, what's the latest version?

3 weeks later
#745 8 years ago

I will be shopping mine out soon, anyone have an LED list they used for theirs that they are happy with? Pics of your game lit up?

2 weeks later
#840 8 years ago

is everyone's cabinet made from MDF? mine is, just curious... I have the color Decals on the sides and front

2 weeks later
#900 8 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

If you have it, hook it up and see how it works. It has to be an improvement.

we have 2 of those, they're very weak, I cant remember the wattage, but our first one blew the first week we had it from pumping up the bass too much

#907 8 years ago

Some of you just like whacking AcDC bells with balls

Congo = $ + AcDC prem

I think I'll have that printed on my next Texas pin fest shirt , HeyO!

1 week later
#938 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I like to post these every 6-12 months, as a reminder of what a Congo used to look like. To each his own, I guess.
IMG_2645.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg

Beautiful... Makes me want to use retro warm led's from cointaker.

#946 8 years ago

Somebody at expo! Take another pic!!!

1 week later
#961 8 years ago

very nice, just how I want mine to look

1 week later
#964 8 years ago

Could you please post some pictures of the metal guide mod?

1 month later
#1016 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Shaker came in today!!

Which shaker did you buy?

#1024 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, not the whole gorilla, just the lower parts!

that's what she said

1 week later
#1030 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

amazon.com link »
Congo Shop Pics...hundreds. Should be able to d/l from that link, not positive.

So grateful, thank you

1 month later
#1050 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Epic Congo game. Just destroyed my high score. Super multiball twice and think I got everything reward. Plus 248 diamonds .
So glad I put that new window in!

20160205_175827_(resized).jpg

Nice work!

I'm thinking of putting in the side board blade decals, which ones look the best to you guys?

4 weeks later
#1078 8 years ago

So I found this... It's amazing, the poster would be perfect for a translite

But to acquire the poster, all 3 skateboards have to be purchased.

What do yall think?

http://www.oldskullskateboards.com/creature-partanen-primitive-pro-limited-edition-deck-only-500-made-8-2-x-31-9/

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#1109 8 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Finally joined the club tonight, thanks to fellow Pinsider JRush2112. Great guy that contacted me because he knew I wanted one. 30 minute drive and Bam! It's home! Thanks John!

image_(resized).jpeg

"Niiiice!" Skill shot'

#1111 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Long-time Congo owner here (about 14 years). I waxed mine for about the 10th time last night and it's still beautiful. I'm so glad I ignored the haters when I got mine. Best Trudeau pin ever IMHO.

image_(resized).jpg

I think I just discovered my lighting scheme. Beautiful Sir!

1 month later
#1150 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Not posting for the price, but the led layout

2 months later
#1259 7 years ago

That totally doesn't look like flowing lava, hehe

3 weeks later
#1282 7 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

anyone sell just THIS plastic? i don't need a whole set, just this one.

I just bought that same one from pinball center, I bet they have more

#1289 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Can you detail what you did here? Looks great!

I second that

2 months later
#1346 7 years ago
Quoted from jackbot:

20 Year Congo design team mini reunion. John Trudeau, Ernie Hudson and myself at the Stern 30 year celebration.

Thanks for all the diamonds guys! We have a super cool game because of you!!

2 weeks later
#1358 7 years ago

My Congo did a strange thing...

One day when it was in attract mode, it reset to factory.

I turned it on a few days later and I opened the coin door, pressed the enter button and it reset again, this happened several times. Turned it off.

Several minutes later I turned it back on and I Open the coin door and press the enter button, no issue, place it on freeplay and let it sit for 20 minutes. Turned it off.

Next day, turn the game on, no problems.

Any ideas?

#1366 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The settings went to default or power cut off or both?

Both

I'll put on a remote battery holder and check the power cables and see how that works out. Thank you for the nudge!

#1367 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I deed a translite insert panel for my congo prewired. I guess they don't make one.

Do you not have one at all or is yours just broken?... I fix mine with hot glue and it works great

1 month later
#1432 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

amazon.com link »

Thank you for sharing this with everyone!

3 weeks later
#1446 7 years ago

My Congo decided not to turn on, I can hear the speakers come on, but no display, no gi, nothing.

Where do I start?

Thanks guys

#1450 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you post a picture of your MPU just below the battery pack. I had repaired a couple of minor battery damaged boards that do give the same symptoms as you describe. Hopefully, it is not as bad as the one jawjaw had, which even affected the back of the MPU.

Argh! Corrosion ...
Must have been hidden since I put the lithium batteries in

Ok... what do I need to do other than dab it with vinegar ?

IMG_3913 (resized).JPGIMG_3913 (resized).JPG
IMG_3914 (resized).JPGIMG_3914 (resized).JPG
IMG_3915 (resized).JPGIMG_3915 (resized).JPG
IMG_3916 (resized).JPGIMG_3916 (resized).JPG
IMG_3917 (resized).JPGIMG_3917 (resized).JPG
IMG_3918 (resized).JPGIMG_3918 (resized).JPG

After cleaning with vinegar, let stand 5 minutes, rinsed with water, then dried for 3 hours

IMG_3921 (resized).JPGIMG_3921 (resized).JPG
IMG_3923 (resized).JPGIMG_3923 (resized).JPG
IMG_3922 (resized).JPGIMG_3922 (resized).JPG

U27 , U5 still has a bit of corrosion ,, I might have to replace C49 and U2... maybe even everything around U5 as well... any thoughts on what all I should do to stop the run of corrosion?

IMG_3924 (resized).JPGIMG_3924 (resized).JPG

#1453 7 years ago

Crap. That is worse than I hoped it would be, especially with the corrosion going through to the back of the board. I repaired mine and I was not happy how long it took to repair and it was not as bad as that board.
Any parts that were hit with corrosion need to be replaced. Worse thing you can do is apply heat to the top side of the board at this point. The heat basically burns up the pads and traces quickly where there is any corrosion. Parts need to be removed, board traces/pads sanded down, then the vinegar comes into play. Followed with alcohol to clean it up. It is quite time consuming. I don't know what to say about the backside, since likely corrosion is in the middle layers of the board as well.
Personally, I would sell this board and buy another board, be it a new Rottendog or hold out for a nice original MPU.

I think the pics are misleading. The back of the Mpu looks great, but 4 chips and a socket, and a few other components are possibly toast, cleaning is definitely in the cards, I'm guessing it will take a few hours once I have all the components. I'm no stranger to board repair, but I'll buy another later if it turns out junk.

I'll check in if I need some help sourcing parts, unless anyone has a source already

Thank you guys for some guidance!

1 week later
#1456 7 years ago

I pulled out all the problems, scrubbed down the mpu with a vinegar solution and sanded it with 2000 grit sand paper, looks fine... all of the traces seem to have good continuity. Parts on order

IMG_3947 (resized).JPGIMG_3947 (resized).JPG

IMG_3948 (resized).JPGIMG_3948 (resized).JPG

IMG_3949 (resized).JPGIMG_3949 (resized).JPG

IMG_3950 (resized).JPGIMG_3950 (resized).JPG

#1460 7 years ago

That is looking better, but as I had mentioned the damage is on the back of the board as well. You can see the blackness in the ground plane along the edges of the board and tracing around to the other areas of this ground plane, I can see how dark the solder mask is. Battery corrosion is under the solder mask and even changing the color of the solder mask in some of these areas. I believe you need to sand these dark areas down as well and treat them as well. You can compare the solder mask on the opposite side of the board. The solder mask should be a constant color throughout the whole side of the board.
It is unfortunate that the battery pack was sitting over the top of the huge ground plane.

I've been worrying about that , I'll just sand sand sand, maybe I can still save it. I'm not betting on it. Bummer

#1464 7 years ago

Yours is horrible. Even I don't want to tackle it. Someone would want the challenge though.

A little more progress, I think I have all of the corrosion scraped away, I really feel like the corrosion that was on the backside was shadowing from the front side, now that I have all of the corrosion cleaned on the front side, I don't see any on the backside . That includes holding it up to the light and every angle I could look at it at to follow the shimmer of the traces under the solder mask to look for spots or any other anomalies that look anything close to corrosion under the solder mask .

Next I'll test for continuity again in case any trace may have broken, they all look good to the naked eye though .

IMG_3958 (resized).JPGIMG_3958 (resized).JPG

#1468 7 years ago
Quoted from stef34:

did you used a special product to clean the corrosion or just sanded it?

So far I've cleaned it with a vinegar solution and alcohol, and sanded with a fiberglass pen and some deferent high grit sand paper. Sanding it allows me to get the corrosion off in a more direct manner.

I would much rather buy a new board, but I want to hone my skills in this discipline rather than just throw money at the problem in this case. If it takes a dump I'll be getting a new one eventually

#1469 7 years ago

She lives again!
Thanks for the push in the right direction guys!

IMG_3976 (resized).JPGIMG_3976 (resized).JPG

IMG_3978 (resized).JPGIMG_3978 (resized).JPG

IMG_3977 (resized).JPGIMG_3977 (resized).JPG

#1478 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

even thou this is the most action this thread seen lately . Iam BOARD

I agree and I'm the one having all the fun!!

Not like there's anything innovative going on anyway

#1484 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Installed these last night.

Very nice!

Plan to make a few extra?

#1493 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Yes, the printed decal was applied on a set of mirror blades similar some of the major companies

I noticed that, pretty slick!

#1494 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Volcano shot from upper flipper caught on film - KME.
» YouTube video

"KEITH ELWIN" Ladies and Gentlemen!
Amazing

2 months later
#1544 7 years ago

those are awesome! but why do you cover your pins? Not that theres anything wrong with that, Im just curious

OH, AND your translite! where can I get one?

#1547 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

My game-room is located in a relatively open area near the pool. The pins are very well protected from sun and rain, but I wanted to provide a little more protection, mainly from dust...
The translite I acquired a few years ago, but I just can't remember where...

Right on, the covers are cool looking!

If you come across another translite like that, or remember the source, please let me know

3 weeks later
#1591 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I've had my Congo for 15 years - my first DMD. I came dangerously close to selling it so I could buy an Aerosmith Pro. I'm so glad I came back to my senses. There's really nothing like Congo, except maybe Tron.

Tron is not anything like Congo, unless your smoking some real good stuff while playing them side by side!

However.... good on you for coming to your senses!!!

2 weeks later
#1621 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

So i know decals can be a pain the the ass to put on so i copied my mirror blades and cut sheet metal and attached the decals to them like mirror blades. Easy install and replace if one gets damaged. Heres my dirty harry using them

... and still; it looks neither dirty or hairy
Good idea.

#1623 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Anyone use the pinbits AFM shaker for the volcano mod

I need more info here too, I need to add a shaker to mine as well

#1626 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Yes. It's not as easy a hookup as the STTNG that is referenced in another thread(at least they made that sound easy). AFM seems to be the only one in stock.
I couldn't get it to work and had a tech help figure it out.
It was a while ago and I can't remember exactly what we did.
The AFM kit has the shaker/board and a couple harnesses with connectors. None of it is a plug and play for Congo.
The red/green/white/black/blue goes from the mini board and gets plugged in to the other connector they include and adds a purple wire(?) I think. Looks like we used the purple to go to a flasher(the blue crimp connector changes it to some extra green just to lengthen it), it looks like we used the red to go to another flasher. There's a black wire that I think is a ground that went to the head. Looks like the white and green are not used(that's where we got the extra green wire from).
Confused? Me too.
So, it CAN be done if someone with some smarts is involved.
I rotated the weights in the shaker to tame it and I added some felt strips to snug up the playfield glass rattling.

Right on, I bet that can get us pretty close, which flasher does it Connect to?

3 weeks later
#1642 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

just got a Congo! I have a question, are the cabs direct print? We analyzed my cab and it doesn't look like decals. Any info might help me with some touch-up in the black.

They are screen printed I believe, so, yes direct

1 week later
#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What's a flame bulb?

A flame bulb is an LED that cycles multiple different colors to give the effect of a flickering flame

1 month later
#1699 6 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

That looks like a good fix. I hate wedge bulbs and am considering to do something like this but with bayonet sockets. has any one else done this, I thought I saw a previous post....
I always prefer to keep my games stock but this is a sucky problem that has better options

I cleaned mine the best I could, put leds in them, and hot glued all of the problem ones into place, also hot glued the few cracks in the plastic tub, has held well for a few years (on cv, and Congo)

2 months later
#1725 6 years ago

Stunning!

6 months later
#1870 6 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Forgot about Midnight Madness, got it tonight! The best mode!

Hey! It’s only 11:35!!!

8 months later
#2003 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Does Congo have the Trudeau flipper gap?

It does not

Quoted from Platypus:

please explain the Trudeau flipper gap....

John Trudeau was famous for placing clippers in his games 1/4” wider apart than the normal gap... Judge Dredd and Ghostbusters come to mind

#2010 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Congo does have a wider gap but GB had a larger gap.

Strange, I’ve played it a thousand times and never noticed... learn something new every day ! Thanks!

1 month later
#2060 5 years ago
Quoted from jackbot:

That is correct. On CONGO, both upper and lower flippers fire at the same time. There is no 'staging'.
That was my choice and the way I wanted them to operate for this game.

Wut?! We have an original designer looking in, thanks for dropping in!

11 months later
#2234 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I don't have rails, I am building up a Congo from scratch and have most parts already.
You can see my test fit into my test cabinet. Doesn't look like much now, but it will be a full Congo this year. Will be buying a new cabinet once the pf is wired.[quoted image]

Wow, that’s intense, I hope you find everything you need to complete it

1 year later
#2365 3 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

thinking about joining the club, how does this title hold up in larger collections? thx guys. always wanted one of these.

We love ours, I moved it to our lake house so we could single it out for more focused play. I’m afraid I’d miss it if we let it go, plus I’m certain I’d not find another to replace it

6 months later
#2442 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Quick question: Does Congo have the stop eating my sesame cake audio sound clip during play? Or was that not one of the film sound clips used in the game?

I’ve owned the game for over 5 years, I’ve never heard this clip in my machine

8 months later
#2491 1 year ago

Hippo’s!
About time to totally shop my machine again;
A couple questions...

1.The small center jump ramp, is pbc in Germany the only place to get a new one?

2.Clear coating the playfield... does it make Congo too fast?

3. Lower Playfield window... who has the best one?

4. Titan rubber... what’s the best color on Congo?

#2494 1 year ago
Quoted from BozoTheClown:

You can buy the set or any of the 3 individually. I have them and they look beautiful.
https://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Congo-3-Ramp-Set

I installed a full playfield protector to help out on 2 spots that a previous owner/operator had used too long of a screw under the playfield. It plays just fine.

This is the only place I could find that sold the clear window. Plenty of places had the green tinted one for creature.
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-congo-playfield-window.html

Thank you, I appreciate you responding to all of this

Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I have clearcoated mine and find it plays just right
I ordered the right hand ramp from free-play.se, maybe they have what you need ?
[quoted image]

Thank you, looks amazing too!

#2498 1 year ago

You guys are awesome, thank you

10 months later
#2571 1 year ago
Quoted from brobra:

Picked up this conversion playfield….it was never installed in a game. Hoping to build it up over the summer…
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How!?! Why!? That’s amazing !!!

1 month later
#2591 11 months ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

This is actually a game I've been working on in preparation of picking one up next month from Gman3. If you aren't familiar with my pinsound work.. Ive done BSD, TS, and JD. All intense and epic scores. For Congo.. I'm going with a Cannibalistic, tribal, jungle, chant type of tonality. Replacing the lighthearted Jingles and monkey noises with something more mean. I will post here when I get further along, but for now here is a video with some pictures of the Congo restoration and a song I'm working on to replace the main play theme.
Let me know what you think so far!

I’m stoked to see what you do, I’d be good for a change at some point

2 weeks later
#2614 10 months ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Well I got the parts back from the coater and finally got it set up last night. It was 1 am before I was all finished so only played a few games.
First impressions are it's a beautiful game with lots of great call outs. Plenty of fun shots. It's taking some time getting used to the wide flipper gap. Almost all of my balls drain through the flippers vs outlanes.
I'll have to echo what so many have said before me, the lower playfield is just to easy. I'll see if there's a way to limit the time more to make it more difficult.
I like the music with the exception of the caves video mode. That gets a bit much and it seems like you get the cave video mode more often then I had imagined.
I bought John's tranlight for the game and I do really like it. It seems to flow together with the side art now but will say I feel the material for the translight is to thin. As much as I tried I could not get the translight mounted without some wrinkles. If the material was just a little thicker like the original it would be perfect.
I need more time with the game to make a better assessment but so far happy overall.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The image looks cool though

4 weeks later
#2655 9 months ago
Quoted from BozoTheClown:

They haven't shipped to the US in years. You would need to use Mailboxde.com as an intermediary. That's who I use and have never had an issue.

Yes
This

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chosen_s.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-club-owners-only?tu=chosen_s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.