Screenshot_20240219-210553 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240218-211229 (resized).png
Stuck Ball on Congo (resized).jpg
20240211_173727 (resized).jpg
20240211_192801 (resized).jpg
IMG_0332 (resized).jpeg
20240204_001418 (resized).jpg
20240204_001432 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Platypus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1690 6 years ago

I just brought home a Congo in pretty good shape. It is my third and newest game. I'll be going over it and correcting a few issues in the next several weeks.

many of the cheap plastic sockets in the back box are broken. where does one get replacements?

#1697 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

One other part of the game which often needs attention is the volcano scoop stack. Mine broke one of the tabs that held it down to the playfield. It was spitting out balls all over the place. Mantis sells a better quality one that works perfectly. If you ever shop your game, check yours for any cracks or bad welds.
https://mantispinball.com/product/congo-volcano-weldment/

Thanks JawJaw I am very appreciative of such tips and points of attention. I'll be doing a full shop job. I was told by the former owner about the broken bracket under the mini play field. he jury rigged it but it may be a problem later.

I am only 1/3 of the way through old posts and will have more questions as I dig later.

#1698 6 years ago
Quoted from Budwin:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-club-owners-only?tu=Budwin
Old post about my back box sockets.
I just got these from Marco and replaced all the GI sockets. (lots of work, but those yellow sockets SUCK !)
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5030-00
I used a nylon standoff to get the profile correct. (I epoxied the standoffs to the dish tray)
Bud

That looks like a good fix. I hate wedge bulbs and am considering to do something like this but with bayonet sockets. has any one else done this, I thought I saw a previous post....

I always prefer to keep my games stock but this is a sucky problem that has better options

#1701 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I cleaned mine the best I could, put leds in them, and hot glued all of the problem ones into place, also hot glued the few cracks in the plastic tub, has held well for a few years (on cv, and Congo)

That tub plastic is so crappy, mine is in good shape for now but I worry about drilling holes (for sockets) in that brittle stuff Mine has a bunch of tape holding broken sockets.

Quoted from JosiahCox:

Sadly I have a huge problem with my Congo's backbox lighting too.
The whole wiring harness is non existent. No sockets, no wiring.... nothing. I am trying to decide if I should attempt to rebuild it with socketed LED's or make a custom layout with strips.

That is a good idea using strips. Any fix I do will not be stock. strip lights are mostly more resilient than sockets in this case. I use LED tape for other applications that could work here if I can find 6v tape.

1 month later
#1713 6 years ago

I need to rebuild the C-O-N-G-O switches in my mini playfield. The target faces are fine but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a suitable switch that I can restack to work for this?

2 weeks later
#1716 6 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Where can I find Congo plastic protectors these days? Thought I saw them all over a couple months back, but now I can only find them from a company selling on ebay out of Germany.

pinsider indypinhead offers them for sale

3 weeks later
#1721 6 years ago

I replaced the cpu rom on my Congo with the version 2.1 I don't notice too much difference but one thing that happens is that I don't get multiple balls when I hit multiball under mystery award. I get multiple balls in the valcano multiball but not mystery

I am wondering if my ball trough optos are the problem. would I have this issue if the ball count is messed up?

1 month later
#1730 6 years ago

I remember seeing a post where someone offered a link to a large collection of teardown/shop out pictures I just went through the whole thread and could not find it. Can anybody help steer me?

1 week later
#1743 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

amazon.com link »

Thanks Wickerman, that's what I was looking for. I discovered a few things missing from my machine.

2 weeks later
#1773 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

How are people attaching the plastic palm trees and gorilla figures and hippo figures?
I was thinking to use quake hold putty, but I want to get insite from others.

I cut a piece of lexan to fit between pop bumpers and used some hex posts to stand off. My piece rests on the pop bumper caps. The hippo is attached with tiny #3 screws. I have no palm trees, that would be too much clutter for me.

91697060-B8C6-4514-B2AD-93B3EEA5AF83 (resized).jpeg91697060-B8C6-4514-B2AD-93B3EEA5AF83 (resized).jpeg

5B8ACFF0-A52B-4AD7-9E71-824BA3C9A3D1 (resized).jpeg5B8ACFF0-A52B-4AD7-9E71-824BA3C9A3D1 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1777 6 years ago

I just finished a complete shop out on Congo including a flipper rebuild. I can hardly catch and cradle the ball now. Do I have the bats set too low? I might try different coil stops to get more travel.

E1629DC3-2D71-4A58-90C9-1FA6A17FE1DC (resized).jpegE1629DC3-2D71-4A58-90C9-1FA6A17FE1DC (resized).jpeg

FFB38D97-03CC-4367-A1F9-FDF4B113DB48 (resized).jpegFFB38D97-03CC-4367-A1F9-FDF4B113DB48 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#1826 6 years ago

My label says install 4 balls

#1829 6 years ago

There are indeed five balls, but one is captured and rarely leaves the machine. The Install sticker is for the operator when they set up or do maintenance on a machine. At which point they reinstall 4 balls. Just say'n

7 months later
#1947 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone know where to get the decals for each of the sides on the lower playfield?

I printed my own with the files that were posted earlier in this Congo thread. I used Papilio vinyl in my inkjet printer. It took a few trial runs to get the scale just right. I think I may used a clear mylar over them.

2 months later
#2002 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Does Congo have the Trudeau flipper gap?

please explain the Trudeau flipper gap....

#2004 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It does not

John Trudeau was famous for placing clippers in his games 1/4” wider apart than the normal gap... Judge Dredd and Ghostbusters come to mind

and no center post? how cruel.

#2015 5 years ago
Quoted from Nw55555:

Could anyone snap an under Playfield pic for me or offer guidance? This loose wire comes from the O target in CONGO and I believe needs to go to the C but I’d like to confirm.
[quoted image]

Yes it goes to the C It is the common to all of the CONGO letters Right now the C is the only one that will register.

1 month later
#2042 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Can someone verify if I have a perceived problem. I've been racking my brain. My upper and lower flippers fire simultaneously. You can't stage them. I've spent hours trying to diagnose. Then my friend tells me his does the same thing. Is this the way Congo is?

As long as there is only one button they both go at the same time. I have no idea how it could be different?

#2046 5 years ago

Congo is my first and only WPC game and I never knew about staging. my game never has...

#2056 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You guys are right. Checked my game and it does not stage. There are two optos but the interrupter is set to trigger both at same time. I always thought all 3-4 flipper games staged. The more you know...

You guys have me curious now. What games of this era "stage"?

I can't imagine how it would help the play in Congo....

1 month later
#2077 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

amazon.com link »
Shop pics

man, that was a dirty game. I suspect it looks better now.

#2078 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Can anyone take a picture for me on the lower gorilla assembly with the two coils ?
Mine is a little stiff and since I just reassembled it and maybe there is a better way.
Just need a picture of the underside of the playfield with the main assembly clear if you are happy with your gorillas performance.
Thanks in advance

I think Clay did a nice tutorial on reassembling that mech. You have to donate to access but it is well worth it.

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Yeah - it might be worth it to get access to that info. Like I said it is OK - seems like it could be better.
I did a full restore so I am being picky is my guess.

http://www.pinballninja.com/

2 weeks later
#2083 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It was a top to bottom clean job...basically had to buy a new version of every part that is still available. I got a "fair" deal on the game and then spent a load of cash and time getting it looking great.
It was at that point that I decided I will just spend more money on games that are already shopped/rehabbed

My machine was a re-import and all of the plastics looked like they had been cleaned with a brillo pad. A couple bottom side screws had penetrated the topside of the playfield. The lower playfield had to be rebuilt pretty much from scratch. Shortly after I got it working the DMD crapped out. Had I known this all I would not have driven to North Dakota to buy and pick it up, maybe not such a fair deal. She has a good home now and gets the respect she deserves.

I have to say that this machine plays so well and everyone enjoys it. No regrets.

I really do enjoy rehabbing games

2 months later
#2104 4 years ago

so my GRAY mode has stopped working. the G R A Y letters register and lower playfield ape throws the ball on each letter as usual but once all four are completed and the ball in play is held up by the upper left post, nothing happens down below. The lower playfield is just dead, after a short time the ball is released and play continues. I can troubleshoot a faulty switch or coil but I have no idea which components initiate or control the mode.

Can anybody off me any direction?

3 weeks later
#2116 4 years ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Anyone have any update on the thread that describes how to add a shaker to the volcano flasher? I would love to add a shaker and the link it goes to in pinbits.com is sold out.

Sorry, no but that sounds like a great mod. Congo is never leaving here.

1 week later
#2136 4 years ago

For my volcano lighting I got some harnesses from comet and added a few more red and yellow flashers and tapped off of the flasher under the volcano. It flashes nicely when locking a ball and other times.

1 month later
#2176 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Habing a weird behaviour with my congo.
Sometimes, when battling Gray, the ball on the upper playfield is released and I have to keep it alive while still having the lower mini playfield activated.
This seems to appear randomly.
Any idea?

I had a slightly different problem that I traced to the actuator on the switch just before the pop-up post. It was totally broken off, I built a new one with a paper clip.

2 weeks later
#2185 4 years ago

The pinball center seems to have a lot of Congo parts. I wonder if it was because so many machines were shipped over seas? My game was a beat-up re-import now nicely fixed up. But I could use a new volcano. Pinball Center I believe does not ship to the states. Maybe some of us could pool our needs and have a European comrade send us a bulk order?

2 months later
#2223 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

how the heck to you quality the video mode? Is it really NINE shots to the We Are Watching You standups? Or more than that? I have tried several games just focused on trying to quality video mode and I cannot do it. What am I doing wrong? I am used to pins with video modes you see almost every game. So far, I've played this pin 20-25 times and haven't seen the video mode once! I wanna drive the boat!

around our meager house hold we see the Video only once every 20-30 games. It is a really hard mode and disappointing to loose.

#2226 4 years ago

I love my color DMD

2 years later
#2460 2 years ago

I think I want to add some art side blades. What are others using?

#2467 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Check out Tilt graphics “jungle theme”
They originally started out for Jurassic park. They ended up tweeking them for me to use on my Congo!

Of the options out there I think I like them the best.

My machine is a reimport that had a lot of shoddy repairs. The upper flipper bracket was replaced and never modified and resulted in gouging the left side pretty badly. Time to cover it up.

Thanks for the responses.

#2473 2 years ago

I’m not much for buying frivolous stuff for others at Xmas. Instead I buy frivolous stuff for myself.

Congo got a new toy. I’ll post pics once I figure out the mounting.

52837A16-C860-4D8C-BF0A-5EE0E40438B2 (resized).jpeg52837A16-C860-4D8C-BF0A-5EE0E40438B2 (resized).jpeg
#2475 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The airplane looks nice. Does it have any lights on it?
Gord

no it's cast steel, I've just always wanted to replace the plastic plane

2 weeks later
#2481 2 years ago

I got my DC3 model installed in Congo

4E101813-BC60-4673-8AAB-AB34B86ED056 (resized).jpeg4E101813-BC60-4673-8AAB-AB34B86ED056 (resized).jpeg55B1D4D8-878D-4754-80B0-585E99C8B74C (resized).jpeg55B1D4D8-878D-4754-80B0-585E99C8B74C (resized).jpeg
#2483 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Looks good! How do I get one?

It is the Air Lingus DC-3 model made by Herpa. They make a few other DC-3 models also. The Scale is 1/200. They make a 1/144 scale but I felt that would be too big.

After cutting the plastic I drilled a few holes and used monofilament line to attach. You can not see it in the pics.

I did the hippo a few years ago.

8 months later
#2518 1 year ago
Quoted from Asier:

Hi, do you have any protector between the miniplayfield plastic and the playfield?
Sometimes the ball doesn’t go straight and goes through the yellow line seen in the picture.
Apparently the mini playfield plastic seems well alligned with the playfield.[quoted image]

The screws that attach the window over the mini PF have rubber gaskets that allow you to adjust the depth. I replaced the rubber at some point for more pliability.

3 months later
#2551 1 year ago
Quoted from BozoTheClown:

I installed something like 4 fire bulbs in mine and it looks amazing.

I did a light strip and a couple fire bulbs also which helped a lot to bring it to life. I believe Comet sold those, their matrix system is plug and play, very easy

A shaker would be cool for the volcano. Never tried to fit one but that game might be worth it

I so much love my Congo, it is a forever game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 37.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Platypus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-club-owners-only?tu=Platypus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.