Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0634 (resized).jpg
IMG-0633 (resized).jpg
r8uRTn9 (resized).jpg
WoPB8ea (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello,
I'm trying to add a bill acceptor to my William's Congo machine.
I purchased a Mars AE2411 U3 Bill Acceptor.
It plugs right into the 9 pin connector and works perfectly.

My problem is that it cannot be mounted in the door properly.

The door has 2 slots:
- One up high that is 3"W x 1-7/8"H
- One down low that is 3-5/16"W x 1-11/16"H

I need to use the lower slot but the bezel I have is for the upper slot.
I really just need to get the right bezel and it should work...
I've looked everywhere and cannot seem to find a bezel.
I appreciate any help/ideas anyone may have.

Thanks,
Scott

#2 3 years ago

If you actually have this model, then the bezel should fit. Or someone switched the bezel out.

I don't remember when, but at some point the doors were altered - earlier doors only fit the COMPACT bezels. The door came with a couple white spacers that were required on the standoff bolts to hold the validator in securely. Later doors let a standard bezel/full faceplate fit.

(The upper hole, for downstackers, came with a spacer kit that was sold my WMS that made the validator sit back from the door so the smallest part of the bezel mounted flush.)

I WANT to say that the full faceplate doors are a more recent offering (late '00s? '10s?), so you may just need the standoff kit.

Take a pic of your bezel and post it.

For reference, I got a pics of the two types. This is the earlier one, the door/mounting type that was shipping in the '90s:
WoPB8ea (resized).jpgWoPB8ea (resized).jpg

This is the later door, where the whole Bezel fits:
r8uRTn9 (resized).jpgr8uRTn9 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

There's no problem with the standoffs...I have all the parts and pieces...It's the size of the bezel vs the size of the opening on the door.
The bill acceptor MUST be mounted using the LOWER slot...The Bezel only fits the UPPER slot.
I need to know where to buy a replacement bezel matching the measurements for the lower slot I mentioned previously (3-5/16"W x 1-11/16"H).

Thanks,
Scott

IMG-0633 (resized).jpgIMG-0633 (resized).jpgIMG-0634 (resized).jpgIMG-0634 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Hi Coyote,

I see on your 1st image that the slot has been modified (notches cut out on the top & bottom of slot to make bezel fit).
Also, you can see that the bezel doesn't fit the width properly (there's extra space on the sides).
So it looks like I may have to notch out the slot to fit the bezel...Not looking forward to that.
Whoever did yours seems to have done a very clean job of it...I can only surmise that it will be very difficult to cut those notches clean and even.
I really need to know where to buy a replacement bezel that fits.

Thanks,
Scott

#5 3 years ago

In my experience unless you have an old VFM validator, you have to notch the door like that. It's not hard at all. Just a steady hand with a dremel and it takes less than 5 minutes. I actually have a beat up door that I will swap onto a game to install the validator if I don't want to cut that notch.

#6 3 years ago

I have two methods for the AE2400 series I use depending upon how quick the boss wants it done.

Method 1: Use a nibbler to carve away an eighth of an inch along the top edge of the bottom hole. I suppose a Dremel with cutoff wheel could also be used.

Method 2: Use a Dremel "drum sander" to grind away the tapered part of the bill acceptor "snout" it fits in the existing hole. The drawback is you need an air compressor and blow gun attachment (or a can of air) to get rid of all of the black plastic "dust" the sanding creates. It gets all over the sensors and belts inside the bill acceptor.

One other method I saved for last because it involves rewiring: install a brand new Happ Controls coin/bill door. It has the full sized hole so any bill acceptor can be used.

Something else to consider: the Pyramid/Apex 5400 series and 7400 series fit the door perfectly without any modifications to the existing door or to the bill acceptor. Just be sure to purchase the 120 volt AC power version with the 9 pin Mars connector on it. They also make a 12 volt DC version.

https://www.amusementsplus.com/index.php?pr=Category&cat=35&sub=159

#7 3 years ago

Thanks Coyote, FattDirk, and Ken...

It's really great having an expertise pool so readily available like this.

I am going to ponder the notching vs the sanding option and then commit.

Have a great weekend!

Scott

#8 3 years ago

At the time these machines were made, the Mars VFM series and Ardac (a.k.a. Dixie-Narco) were very popular and fit these doors without any modifications.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

At the time these machines were made, the Mars VFM series and Ardac (a.k.a. Dixie-Narco) were very popular and fit these doors without any modifications.

Yup!

There ARE two bezel for the Mars validators that is the same as the VFM - the officlal MARS/MEI named are "VFM Upstacker" and "VFM High Visibility". (The number in the model representing this is the 5th character - AE24000. It would be a "0" for the 'VFM Upstacker', or a 'C' for the high-visibility.)

Sadly, I do not have the part numbers recorded for JUST the bezels, though, sorry.

(And yes, for the record, the coin door I have pictured in my TZ is a replacement from around 1996 days.)

#10 3 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-bill-acceptor-problem-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.